Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets.

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2014/12/15 22:59:50 (permalink)

Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets.

The subject of factory presets and soft synths was broached in this thread but I thought it would be worth extending the discussion. I still feeling I am cheating when I use an unedited preset. (yet if it work in the track, why not?)

I started my experience with hardware synthesizers with an EMS synthi A when the idea of a preset was a distant dream. Now a software emulation of that synth is subject to scathing criticism for not having many good presets.

Several years later I owned a Roland SH101 and MC202, again no presets, but like the Synthi A there was a patch book showing settings for various sounds, a consensus was this was for the salesman so he could demonstrate the product rather than for the serious user.

When I got a Yamaha DX100 and a Korg Poly 800 (I am not sure in which order) I entered the preset world. The Korg followed a familiar architecture so I was pretty happy tweaking it, but the Yamaha took a lot of getting used to, and once you had mastered what was going on the mechanics of programming on the tiny LCD was a pain, so a lot of the time I tended to stick with the presets, while at the same time thinking of it as a bit of a cop-out.

So with software synths I have few problems setting up sounds I am thinking of on my favourite analogue emulations, Minimonsta, Korg Monopoly, XILS4 or the Arturia Oberheim SEM V.

I was put off more modern synths like Z3Ta by the predominantly EDM style presets. It took me a while to get under the hood and work out how to roll my own patches. I think I know my way around reasonably well now but the wave shaping is still a process of trial and error. It is a very versatile synth once you take the time to learn about it.

I did buy a couple of Nori Ubukata Historic Synth Giants preset packs for Synthmaster. These are nothing short of excellent sounding exactly like the synth voices on the track he is emulating. And therein lies the rub, they are so close that without tweaking they are of little use unless you are doing cover.

I think the most useful types of presets would be basic ones, devoid of effects, that provide a good starting point from which to customise your own sounds.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

29 Replies Related Threads

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 03:11:18 (permalink)
    For me it doesn't take long with a preset for a little mangling (in ignorance) to make that preset completely unrecognisable.

I'm grateful for them to give me a start. It lets me quickly audition sounds when I'm looking/listening for something in particular. Noodling with virtual knobs, buttons dials and sliders maybe fun for some but I don't mind standing on the shoulders of those who did the work to create them. I don't think it's cheating. I mean you wouldn't call a pianist a cheat if the instrument he plays sounds particularly good just because he didn't make the piano that creates the sound.

I buy a synth as much for the presets that come with it as the synth itself because honestly I couldn't make the sounds I want from scratch, same as I can play guitar but certainly couldn't make one.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Rain
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 03:48:20 (permalink)
    I have the best excuse - I'm a guitar player. :P

Songwriting, arranging and engineering/mixing are the skills I really work on - and all that goes w/ it, like basic studio acoustics and such. I'm really pushing to try and get certified for Logic AND if all goes extraordinarily well, Pro Tools.  I have more than enough on my plate.

So presets are an essential part of my workflow, and I say it w/o any shame. I try my best to make them my own by customizing a tiny bit, but that's no always an option.

I do spend time learning a bit more about my synths semi-regularly. I can create my own patches on certain simpler synths, like Korg Poly Six and Steinberg's Retrologue, which I really love to mess with. But in all frankness, I don't really master that art - I just got better at creating happy accidents.

One synth which really helps me improving is Logic's Retro Synth - that one allows me to switch back and forth between subtractive, FM and wavetable type of synthesis while maintaining the same basic type of interface and the same layout.

The time I spend tweaking pays off when I have to modify a patch, because I at least have a vague idea of what to tweak.

Some synths like Z3ta I really dig but I'll not master in this lifetime. But that's okay - I'll be happy to focus on Mini Moog type of synths.

As for presets themselves - it's surprising how drenched in effect most of them are. In fact, many patches in Z3ta are clipping. Another thing you have to be very careful with is stereo imaging. Sometimes you don't immediately notice it because the preset sounds relatively simple, but when you pay attention a bit, you notice how wide it sounds.

All of my old Sonar demos suffer from that same problem - because I was working fast AND didn't really know what I was doing as far as mixing - neither did I have the set up to really hear it. Effects and stereo imaging issues all over the place.

Some of those patches I really liked but had to give up on and replace because they just wouldn't sit in a mix, and once cleaned up, they sounded pretty weak.

A lot of people badmouth the synths included in Logic and say they sound sterile - imho, that's precisely because they sound dry for the biggest part. Not always the most inspiring, but as the tracks pile up, you still maintain a solid and coherent mix - and then you can put on the icing on the cake.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 03:56:28 (permalink)
    A good set of presets should have good covers and also show its potential.

The choice is individual. Some people like to learn how to bark. Some people just buy a dog.

Woof woof!
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 05:01:00 (permalink)
    Rain

Some of those patches I really liked but had to give up on and replace because they just wouldn't sit in a mix, and once cleaned up, they sounded pretty weak.

A lot of people badmouth the synths included in Logic and say they sound sterile - imho, that's precisely because they sound dry for the biggest part. Not always the most inspiring, but as the tracks pile up, you still maintain a solid and coherent mix - and then you can put on the icing on the cake.

That explains better one of the points I was trying to make when I said "I think the most useful types of presets would be basic ones, devoid of effects, that provide a good starting point from which to customise your own sounds."

Presets can be a good starting point, usually the first thing I do with a preset is turn off any effects, then work on the wave forms, filter and envelope settings to get where I want it to be, and then add effects at later stage.

Perhaps illogically, I look at soft synths differently from ROMpliers and sampled instruments. Maybe because I learnt to program analogue synths long before I could pick out a few chords on a keyboard.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Scoot
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 875
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 06:08:49 (permalink)
    Too many effects on presents annoy me. Removing them can reveal the synth isn't doing so much. I'd love a global fx off option on a synth so I could run through it and listen to just the synth. Often the FX on presets are laid on too heavy handedly for my tastes.

The basstation Keyboard had just 7 memory locations, and buying the rack version opened up 60 memory slots. Many dissed the basstation, because they wanted it to be a TB303, and calling it a 'bass'station gave the impression that was it's strength. It could do bass, but not deep bass. It was a good synth.

If stripped back to just one analogue, to get back in control of it. The presets will give me an idea of what to look ofr from it, but I'd probably build each sound from scratch, making a vanilla patch I can call up to start from each time

HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-k100 CTO i7 -4510U CPU @ 2.00 GHZ 8gb RAM. Windows 8.1 64bit Full HD Touchscreen
    Sonar X3 Producer, AAS Complete set, XLN AD Keys and Drums, TH2
    Roland Quad Capture, AudioTeckina 3035 Mic and ATH-M50 Headphones.
    Korg Nanopad2, WX5 Midi Sax, , Soprano Sax, Alto and Soprano Flute, Acoustic Guitar and Epiphone Dot

Scoot not scook
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 07:43:46 (permalink)
    I love presets. Like the OP, I grew up with synthesizers that had no memory beyond wherever you left the knobs yesterday. My presets were handwritten entries in a spiral notebook. 

Factory presets are important because they let you know what the instrument is capable of. The best presets provide you with a set of templates from which to start programming. I keep a folder for Zebra called "Templates" that consists of generic basses, pads and plucks with minimal effects or fancy techniques. Whenever I create a new patch, I start with one of those. Half are original, half have been adapted from commercial presets.

Presets are also a training manual. Much of what I know about programming Zebra I learned from Jospeph Hollo, by picking apart his great PadsHeaven 1 and 2 patches. And of course, Howard Scarr's great factory presets.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 09:30:46 (permalink)
    Being a guitarist, my music generally centres around the guitar, and the softsynths I use are basically as backup instruments I can't play. So the presets are a BIG part of my needs as I don't have the patience nor the time to customize sounds. One day, I'd really like to learn the inner workings of synths, but for now I only need quick results that might need minor tweaking.
    Otherwise, the whole song creation process/inspiration will get sidetracked and I'll end up loosing focus with my primary objective.  

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 10:40:29 (permalink)
    Plugging a Les Paul into an Orange amp is a "preset." Of course it's what happens next which defines your music. No different with synths. I don't see anything wrong with using most presets, but you'd be mad not to tweak a little it if tweaking it makes it fit the track better. The exception being presets that contain some kind of melodic or rhythmic sequence - then you're getting into sample territory. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    MachineClaw
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1116
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 11:03:00 (permalink)
    90% of the time it's presets I use.

it really depends.  If I am using my Korg M1 or Wavestation plugins there are presets I avoid cause they are used by everyone (M1 Piano anybody?).

Generally it's about the music and how it all sounds together.  I don't worry about it to much.

There are presets on my hardware synths that I avoid and will not record at all, though I like the sound.  D50 Phantasia is one that comes to mind.
    lawp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1154
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 11:09:14 (permalink)
    i used to store "presets" on a sheet of paper, photocopied with my sh-101 controls layout, buggered if i can find them now tho... but seriously, i'm happy to use presets usually as a starting point but hey, if the shoe fits...

sstteerreeoo ffllllaanngge
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 13:24:47 (permalink)
    Presets are a good starting place but most need a minor tweak here or there so they sit right in the song or tune.

Nothing wrong with using presets if they work and as a couple of you have said above they are great learning tools and I agree taking off the FX first is a good start to actual what the preset is really all about.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Starise
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 13:25:31 (permalink)
    In attempting to discover what advantages any given synth offers I'll always check the presets, but I also play and tweak ...this is what I like, no rules. I got some very interesting things from Z3Ta+2 in this way. Sometimes the names of presets help to get me close to a sound I might like, but sometimes the opposite it true. "Violin" is usually pretty descriptive, but something like " Planetary Wonk"  throws me for a loop....I can see a bored programmer working overtime to come up with 500 patches and names for all of them. OTOH if none of the synths had patches wouldn't it be a more bland world? This is the kind of thing I could see some Scandanavian designer doing. It would be touted as simplistic, sleek and sell a million copies :). I mean...some of those synth  patches are sometimes really good. The difference I suppose, in a good namer/programmer and a not so good one.

The Korg M-1 is a good example of a synth that had way too many etherial atmosphereic patches IMO. If you want background stuff those presets have them... angels, bells, water sounds...sleepy string patches. But the M-1 can also excel at in your face sound....I think Korg wanted to bring out their effects section and what better way than to use a lot in their presets. And to me this is the problem which others have already mentioned...effects added to synths. One of the worst offenders in a mix if you want it clean and clear. I wish these synth makers would have one button on their interface...FX off.

I love the idea of creating and storing presets myself to recall later on..and I can name them anything I want :)

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 16:33:17 (permalink)
    My usual MO is to find a preset that's close and tweak.  The problem is that I have accumulated so many soft-synths that I have become a master of none.  If I get to know one well enough to do some effective tweaking, six months later, some other instrument has caught my fancy I it's now the one I know well enough to do some expert sound manipulation.

That was one thing good about the "good old days".  Hardware keyboards and rack-mount sound modules were so expensive that you only could afford a few and you could get to know those very well.  I used to know the M3R (sort of a rack mount M1) like the back of my hand.  Now when I pull up an M1 soft-synth patch, I have to flail around like a fool before I figure out how to get the result I'm looking for.  Ah, the good old days!

By the way, I totally agree with the OP about Nori Ubukata's classic synths series.  Absolutely fabulous - so much so, these add-on sound sets completely justify the purchase of SynthMaster IMO.

stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 17:19:02 (permalink)
    Not much to add, Dave, other than a big old "+1".   So may cool synths, so many presets, so little time.   Which is a big reason why I can barely remember half the time which one had what sound.  And then a new one comes along...

Having started with a MS-10 and a Polysix, I loves me some presets.  As long as they're good/inspirational/usable, and not necessarily in that order.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 18:31:20 (permalink)
    I have always found the concept of ragging on presets analogous to ragging on a guitar player for not having his/her guitar custom built. I know it's not an exact analogy,  but close enough. I admit I still get annoyed when i hear the same fad synth patches used over and over in pop music, but am learning to just accept it as being no different than many artists preferring the same piano or  guitar. I could pick up Clapton's guitar and still not sound like him. I am working with one of the most talented people i know in the studio this evening and i have never seen him so much as teak a preset and his finished compositions come out better than most.
    Bonzos Ghost
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 18:51:22 (permalink)
    Some presets are just fine to use and other than maybe killing some reverb or delay or something, I may use them as is. Others are a starting point and require more in depth tweeking. And sometimes I'll just start from scratch and make entirely new ones.

If you're using any type of modern day rompler, having tons of presets is a good thing. With all the hundreds of different wavs to start with that something like a Motif would include, plus using up to 4 of them to create a patch, (not to mention all the fx, multiple LFO's and controllers) the choices are large, and a great deal of time can/will be wasted. Programming a patch on a basic analog synth is a heck of a lot easier.
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/16 22:42:37 (permalink)
    sharke
    Plugging a Les Paul into an Orange amp is a "preset."

To play the devil's advocate, Would you leave the knobs on the amp and guitar exactly as they were when you unpacked it?

sharke
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/17 00:26:32 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes
    sharke
    Plugging a Les Paul into an Orange amp is a "preset."

To play the devil's advocate, Would you leave the knobs on the amp and guitar exactly as they were when you unpacked it?

No, but adjusting the gain, bass, treble etc could quite reasonably be described as "tweaking a preset." My point was that there seems to be a certain amount of snobbery in some quarters about the use of synth presets, with some people who think that you're "cheating" unless you build your sounds from scratch. But picking up a guitar that's been pre-built to have a certain sound and plugging it into an amp that's been pre-built to have a certain sound is totally accepted. Nobody complains that guitar player X uses the same guitar/amp combination as player Y, and nobody expects you to build a guitar and amp from scratch. What's important is the music which comes from their fingers. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Scoot
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 875
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/17 00:58:13 (permalink)
    I'm not seeing any posts in this thread saying you shouldn't use presets. Or are you referring to the forum in general.

HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-k100 CTO i7 -4510U CPU @ 2.00 GHZ 8gb RAM. Windows 8.1 64bit Full HD Touchscreen
    Sonar X3 Producer, AAS Complete set, XLN AD Keys and Drums, TH2
    Roland Quad Capture, AudioTeckina 3035 Mic and ATH-M50 Headphones.
    Korg Nanopad2, WX5 Midi Sax, , Soprano Sax, Alto and Soprano Flute, Acoustic Guitar and Epiphone Dot

Scoot not scook
    sharke
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/17 01:31:52 (permalink)
    I don't think I've heard anyone on this forum say that using presets is a cop out, but I've definitely heard it said quite a bit on Gearslutz among the electro crowd. 

James
    Bonzos Ghost
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/17 15:06:29 (permalink)
    sharke
    I don't think I've heard anyone on this forum say that using presets is a cop out, but I've definitely heard it said quite a bit on Gearslutz among the electro crowd. 

Ain't that the truth!
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/17 16:04:41 (permalink)
    Isn't a synth by it's very nature a preset?
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/17 17:21:23 (permalink)
    bapu

????????????????????????

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/17 17:28:55 (permalink)
    mike_mccue
    bapu

????????????????????????

You obviously have not given this statement the proper analysis.
    Magic Russ
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 412
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/17 22:40:15 (permalink)
    sharke

It depends.  If you take a "one finger song" preset and use that as a significant part of your "composition", then it is a copout.  I've heard quite a few ambient tracks that bear a surprising resemblance to such presets in Absynth.

However, there are so many bread and butter sounds that it seems silly to write a patch when there is something perfectly good already there.  For example, if I have a song, and suddenly realize that it could use a lead that sounds like the one from "Shine on You Crazy Diamond", and my synth just happens to have a patch called "Shiny Diamonds" that fits the bill, why should I be expected to create my own preset?  Do I need to create my own supersaw preset that sounds like every other supersaw ever written?

TerraSin
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/18 01:43:10 (permalink)
    sharke

I've gotten this exact answer from a lot of people on forums and chatrooms I'm in because more often than not, I use presets when I'm working.

I love sound design as much as the next guy but the bottom line is that I have far too much going on to sit there for 5 days designing a new sound in a synth when someone else can come up with something similar to what I wanted to work with in the first place which would require me to do no or very little modifying which simply makes my workflow much more streamlined. If that makes what I do "cheating", well, call me a cheater. I'm more concerned with the end result sounding amazing than whether or not I made a sound myself, especially when I know there are people who can design some incredible presets out there which are far better than I could do.

A great example of this: I recently bought a preset pack for Serum made by none other than John Lehmkuhl and will also be buying his new Omnisphere pack when it comes out. If you don't know who he is, he spent about 20 years working for Korg designing factory voices for everything from the Triton to OASYS. He's also done factory voices for Spectrasonics and appears on Camel Audio Alchemy. When I saw his release video for Serum and saw what he could do with the presets he made plus the wavetables that he included in the package, I knew I'd be much better off using something made by someone with that kind of experience than to fiddle around with it myself wasting time when I could be making products.

At the end of the day, if people have the time and desire to design their own presets, go for it but they shouldn't hate on others who would much rather spend their time composing music.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/18 04:25:10 (permalink)
    If one is a sound designer than using presets is cheating. If however you're not than I see nothing wrong with using what ever works. 

Best
    John
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/19 06:02:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the comments. It was therapeutic to see my guilt (which I always found illogical) at using presets on synths, but not rompliers and sample libraries probably stems from being a "sound designer" before I had mastered much more that a scale or two on a keyboard.

I do like Bitflipper's idea of templates, as opposed to full blown effect heavy presets as starting points. I will be making templates for some of my more complex synths. Not much point on a Minimoog emulation, but on Modular V, XILS4 and Z3ta they will be a big time saver.

sharke
    Re: Thoughts on Soft Synth Presets. 2014/12/19 20:24:57 (permalink)
    I guess an analogy would be expecting people to write code from scratch without using any libraries or established algorithms. Back when coding was an interest of mine I never once saw anyone on a coding forum suggest that using libraries and API's was a copout. Maybe it's different among the hardcore demo-sceners and hackers, but among regular programmers nobody is considered as being any less creative or ingenious by using someone else's routines. Ultimately it's what you do with those building blocks that counts as creativity. Same with synths and presets. 

James
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1