Helpful ReplyDrawing CCs - is it time to address this?

Author
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
2014/12/19 09:19:06 (permalink)

Drawing CCs - is it time to address this?

Shame on me, I only seem to remember what a wealth of talent and knowledge resides here when I'm really up against the wall.

So let's see if the collective minds can help with something that is more an annoyance than a problem...

I work with virtual instruments a lot, and most of them these days are Kontakt libraries. The single biggest annoyance I face these days is drawing in MIDI CCs. Automation envelopes work really well, and I suppose I could switch to using them for CC1 and CC11 (all exposed controls in Kontakt can be assigned to host automation or MIDI CC), but sometimes the planets align and I can get the CC1 and CC11 curves to sound exactly like I want by manipulating the controls while playing in the part.

But when I can't it is a bit of a nightmare.

Is there a techniques, or even a tool (in Sonar or third party) that makes it easier to draw in MIDI CC data?

The big problem is getting the curves to be smooth, the slightly smaller problem is getting them to start and stop when I want them to start and top. I set the snap off, but the curves remain jagged, and difficult to manage.
In days of old the effect was not so obvious, but as libraries mature the artifacts have become much more audible.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Help???

Thanks!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/19 09:33:51 (permalink)
I can think of a few things offhand. For getting nodes to stop and end where you want, you can draw a selection in the automation lane, right-click on the segment in the selection, and choose "Add Nodes at Selection."

For curves, don't forget you can right-click on a segment and choose fast or slow curve. Also don't forget about the draw tool's ability to draw not just lines, but periodic waveforms.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/19 13:33:20 (permalink)
Hi Craig - I know those tricks apply to envelopes, is there a way to apply them to controlled lanes? If there is I have been missing out big time!

Thanks!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Anderton
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/19 17:22:26 (permalink)
Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about the PRV and not the track view. I don't have any tips for that, other than using the line tool to draw short segments of curves...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/19 20:16:53 (permalink)
This thread could fit in the Feature Request section. I've also when and if Sonar might start making it easy to draw/update CC info in something like an automation lane.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/19 20:32:51 (permalink)
It is possible to draw/updte CC in an automation lane. SONAR provides a way to convert MIDI controllers to envelops in the Track View Clips menu. Going the other direction is a little more involved requiring a virtual MIDI cable to record automation data in to a MIDI track.
bjornpdx
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 759
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/19 21:53:23 (permalink)
Maybe a CAL script would work?  There's one called C_NTROLR.CAL which might be useful as a starting point. I think there'd be some heavy math involved though. 

Bjorn
soundcloud.com/orygun
www.bjornfredrickson.com
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
BluerecordingStudios
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 916
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/20 01:39:38 (permalink)
Working with MDI and controllers are the weakest part of Sonar. There should be option to draw same CC simultaneously into multiple tracks selected in Piano roll, to change value of CC through sophisticated function by exact amounts {like changing velocity} Moving by mouse is sometimes problematic and not accurate.
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/20 02:07:22 (permalink)
+1

As I'm beginning to add orchestral bits to songs, CC changes are very important and a better input method for smoother trasitions would be a big help.

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/20 02:42:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Vastman 2014/12/24 21:02:04
Have you tried drawing with snap on at a fine resolution such as a few ticks?
Anderton
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/20 10:40:13 (permalink)
scook
It is possible to draw/updte CC in an automation lane. SONAR provides a way to convert MIDI controllers to envelops in the Track View Clips menu. 

I was completely oblivious to that...good to know.

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/20 15:36:53 (permalink)
scook
It is possible to draw/updte CC in an automation lane. SONAR provides a way to convert MIDI controllers to envelops in the Track View Clips menu. Going the other direction is a little more involved requiring a virtual MIDI cable to record automation data in to a MIDI track.

For reverse direction I use the following procedure:
  • select the clip in question. "Copy special...", include "Track/Bus Automation" and exclude "Tempo changes"
  • create new temporarily project, add one MIDI track.
  • "Paste special..." into the track, including automations.
  • "Save" the project as "MIDI Format 1" MIDI file (does not work with format 0!). Close that project.
  • "Import MIDI..." into the original project.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Anderton
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/20 18:41:07 (permalink)
Wow, another great tip. Very clever.

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/20 19:21:43 (permalink)
azslow3
scook

For reverse direction I use the following procedure:
  • select the clip in question. "Copy special...", include "Track/Bus Automation" and exclude "Tempo changes"
  • create new temporarily project, add one MIDI track.
  • "Paste special..." into the track, including automations.
  • "Save" the project as "MIDI Format 1" MIDI file (does not work with format 0!). Close that project.
  • "Import MIDI..." into the original project.

It's too bad dragging the clip to your desktop won't work. Is there a way to know what .mid format the drag function creates?

Of course the most tedious method to edit naughty cc data is in Events View.

In PRV you can click-hold a cc node and it will display its data in a tool tip. It would be nice if you could double click it and open an editable properties window like you can for the notes.
rtucker55
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2177
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/20 21:32:10 (permalink)
Even if you could expand/grow an individual control lane, within the PRV, it would be helpful. Currently they have some adjustable height but More would be better and make detailed editing much easier to see.

Purrrfect Audio DAW here.  Wow!...
MarioD
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 901
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/21 09:41:02 (permalink)
rtucker55
Even if you could expand/grow an individual control lane, within the PRV, it would be helpful. Currently they have some adjustable height but More would be better and make detailed editing much easier to see.

A work around is to hide all the controllers except the one you want to work on then increase that controller window size.  This can be a PITA if you have a number of CCs but it does work.

PS - I do like your idea much better than this work around!

The reason people say the vinyl sounds better is because the music was better.

Sonar Platinum, Intel i7 –2600 CPU @ 3.2 GHz, 16 GB ram, 2x2TB internal drives and 1 1TB internal drive, Radeon HD 5570 video card, HP 25" monitor,
Roland Octa Capture, MOTU Midi Express 128, Win 10 Pro

www.soundcloud.com/Mario_Guitar
rtucker55
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/21 09:51:45 (permalink)
MarioD
rtucker55

A work around is to hide all the controllers except the one you want to work on then increase that controller window size.  This can be a PITA if you have a number of CCs but it does work.

Thanks for the suggestion but I already do that (Only if I have to) and I agree that it can be a pita when several controllers are used.

I spend a lot of my time in PRV and it generally is functional and usable but, It can be a time consuming monster to accomplish simple things. Hopefully X4 will solve some current workflow issues.

FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/21 12:48:11 (permalink)
MarioD
rtucker55

Do you use screensets at all? If you can afford to dedicate a few of those in a project to CC editing you can set them up with just the controller you want to edit in each one and then switch between them for editing. It saves having to hide controller lanes all the time as it's already done in the set up procedure.

Duplicating screensets makes setup relatively quick as well.
rtucker55
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/21 16:50:05 (permalink)
I personally never warmed up to screensets. IIRC there were some issues when they were first introduced and I never pursued them afterwards.  Probably something I should look into again.

skitch_84
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 480
Re: Drawing CCs - is it time to address this? 2014/12/21 19:44:47 (permalink)
I've always wondered why editing CC data in the PRV wasn't as easy as editing automation lanes in the track view. I work exclusively with virtual instruments, many of which have countless articulations controlled by CC data. It would be so nice to have a straight horizontal line set at a default value to begin with, and then be able to add nodes and create fast/slow curves and such. Why hasn't this been implemented? Do any other DAWs have this function? 

Chris Porter
www.cportermusic.com
Listen to my original work on Soundcloud and YouTube
Get my original soundtracks on Bandcamp 
Sonar Platinum "2017.04", Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS Z170-A, i7 6700K (4.0GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD 850 EVO (OS/Sonar/Plugins), 1TB SSD 850 EVO (Sample Libraries), 3TB WD Black HDD (projects/audio), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling Unit, PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface, M-AUDIO Oxygen49
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1