Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins

Author
ftf613
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
2014/12/18 14:20:59 (permalink)

Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins

A question for the effects gurus out there... When I replace my dying PC in the next couple of weeks I am going to be reloading my software, and get rid of alot that I dont use. I also in the last year lost my access to some programs I have had in the past like Waves. The only plugins I think I am going to miss are the the Ultra-Maximizer/Limiters, Morphoder and the Doubler. Is there anything in Sonar X3 Producer that can do the same jobs as those?

Thank you for your help!

21 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/18 14:28:59 (permalink)
    Sonar comes with a couple limiters and a multiband compressor. That can replace the Ultra Multi - limiter. The doubler is just a delay with specific pitch options. So a delay and a pitch shifter can replace the Doubler. The Morph can probalby be replaced with one of the soft synths, maybe

CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/18 14:34:05 (permalink)
    The doubler in VX-64 is even better than Waves Doubler, IMHO.

The Concrete Limiter isn't as good as Waves L-2, but I'd say it holds its own against L-1 and I use it quite a bit on everything, just don't push it too hard or it gets a little brittle.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/18 15:31:52 (permalink)
    ...wicked
    The doubler in VX-64 is even better than Waves Doubler, IMHO.

Since I have and use the Waves ADT I'd say the VX-64 is *somtimes* better and sometimes not.
    ...wicked
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/18 15:45:50 (permalink)
    oooh, I haven't heard much about the ADT plug. Good stuff?

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/18 15:53:33 (permalink)
    ...wicked
    oooh, I haven't heard much about the ADT plug. Good stuff?

I like it mucho. I sing turrible but it hides it just right. I can only imagine what it will be like on a good singer.
    Sacalait
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 552
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/18 16:13:05 (permalink)
    The Waves L2 gets used daily in my studio.  There may be a limiter as 'transparent' as it but I haven't come across it yet.  As with most limiters you go beyond 6dB of reduction and you enter the "it-could-suck" zone.  I'm not that crazy about the Waves Doubler and usually lean to the Sonitus.  I bought the Q equalizers from Waves a couple of years ago when they were on sale but only use them when I need some serious surgery.  I like the Cakewalk Pro Channel EQ a lot.  I'm also using the Cakewalk CA compressor plenty but I don't have any Waves compressors to compare it to.  I have been using the CLA bundle I bought from Waves quite a lot.  I especially dig it on electric guitars and vocals.

www.pershingwells.com www.facebook.com/pershingwells
    Sonar Platinum, PC- Intel i7-4770K w/16 Gig RAM Windows 8.1, Solid State Drive and eSATA drives, Mytek, RME UFX, RME Multiface II, Roland VS700,  A-Designs Pacifica, UA LA610, Presonus RC500. A-Designs Hammer EQ, DBX, AKG, Neumann, Roland, JBL, Fender, Gibson, G&L, Marshall, Korg, Martin, Shure, Electrovoice, Yamaha, Chameleon Labs comps.
    rodreb
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/18 18:51:48 (permalink)
    Personally, I really like the Concrete limiter as the last thing on my mix bus. I have totally replaced my previous favorites (Waves & Sonnox) with it. There's just some slight grit to it that I love!

ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording 
    https://www.facebook.com/ifrecording?skip_nax_wizard=true

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

...wicked
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/18 19:20:07 (permalink)
    The two Waves plugz I've had a hard time replacing are Metaflanger and RVerb. They both just give you something very quickly when dialing through presets and then just tiny tweaks to make it fit a mix. The delay (was it called "Super Tap"?) was also way up there but I heart the new BT Delay included with SONAR.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    ftf613
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/18 19:29:50 (permalink)
    I used the L-2 for mastering (or at least slamming the levels) so you think the Concrete Limiter would do me ok?
    Sacalait
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 552
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/18 22:22:53 (permalink)
    I bought the Concrete Limiter a couple of years ago and as for as I'm concerned it's not in the same league as the Waves L2.  Maybe if you're looking for 'color' it may work for you.  But if you're looking to finalize a mix the L2 is more transparent and makes the mix as loud as any other limiter- without adding audible artifacts.  of course YMMV

www.pershingwells.com www.facebook.com/pershingwells
    Sonar Platinum, PC- Intel i7-4770K w/16 Gig RAM Windows 8.1, Solid State Drive and eSATA drives, Mytek, RME UFX, RME Multiface II, Roland VS700,  A-Designs Pacifica, UA LA610, Presonus RC500. A-Designs Hammer EQ, DBX, AKG, Neumann, Roland, JBL, Fender, Gibson, G&L, Marshall, Korg, Martin, Shure, Electrovoice, Yamaha, Chameleon Labs comps.
    Gone!!
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 797
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/18 22:46:08 (permalink)
    ftf613
    I used the L-2 for mastering (or at least slamming the levels) so you think the Concrete Limiter would do me ok?

For sure give it a whirl, I really like it myself, you could also look at Toneboosters Barricade, vey nice and cheap :}
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/19 09:44:57 (permalink)
    Sacalait
    I bought the Concrete Limiter a couple of years ago and as for as I'm concerned it's not in the same league as the Waves L2.  Maybe if you're looking for 'color' it may work for you.  But if you're looking to finalize a mix the L2 is more transparent and makes the mix as loud as any other limiter- without adding audible artifacts.  of course YMMV

There's a huge fundamental difference - the Concrete Limiter is broadband, the Waves is multiband. That's why the CL can sound so good on drums whereas the L2 sounds less "exciting," and why the L2 can do such an excellent job of transparent boosting on program material that the CL can't touch.

I've never found anything that can do what the Waves maximizers do, they have the recipe down. However, I have been experimenting with some SONAR-only techniques that come really close. If they pan out, they'll become a tip of the week

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    rodreb
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/19 18:49:17 (permalink)
    I just really like that "color" the Concrete Limiter adds to my mix bus. As I said before, it replaced my Waves and Sonnox limiters. That said, most every thing I record requires some nice, subtle grit! But, I'm not doing any orchestral stuff or jazz here. I guess everyone's ears are different and my ears just like it. To each, their own.

ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording 
    https://www.facebook.com/ifrecording?skip_nax_wizard=true

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 703
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/19 23:41:40 (permalink)
    bapu
    ..."I'd say the xxxx is *somtimes* better and sometimes not.

Ja, that's what you always say.

(
    Yo Bapu: Take a look at this post:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Forum-search-is-beyond-idiotic-m3135378.aspx
    )
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/20 00:11:17 (permalink)
    Thanks be unto THE CRAIG for providing some context.

To the OP: This is a great question.

But, many of the responses so far are not such.

From many of the responses I infer that the stuff included with Sonar is from the "also ran" bin.

In the words of Wayne's World, it is "not worthy." So buy something else.

If so, maybe the CW managers should stop including most all the stuff currently included, and somehow get the best stuff available for Sonar users at discounts. Or at least encourage the WAVES dudes to create lite products for us.

What's up with all the NOMAD BLUE plugs?  Not worth considering? Should I avoid it all and get Izotope products? Even though no one mentioned them above?

(Yea I know it is "iZotope" but I have a general disgust with the stupidity of placing an "i" in front of any word. Same with placing "My" in front of everything else. Just dumb.)
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/20 00:18:24 (permalink)
    Once again THE CRAIG provides clarity:

This week's FRIDAY TIP points the way.

All hail THE CRAIG!
    Anderton
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/20 00:41:21 (permalink)
    Hah! I made it in before the midnight deadline. Well, at least in Nashville.

It took a long time to put that tip together, but I hope you enjoy "Multiband Maximization for Mastering." I say it in the text, but I'll say it again: the settings are really critical and there are infinite possibiiities...ultimately it's like a combination lock, if you get all the parameters lined up right, you're good to go.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/20 01:10:15 (permalink)
    Thanks be unto THE CRAIG for providing some context.

To the OP: This is a great question.

But, many of the responses so far are not such.

From many of the responses I infer that the stuff included with Sonar is from the "also ran" bin.

In the words of Wayne's World, it is "not worthy." So buy something else.

If so, maybe the CW managers should stop including most all the stuff currently included, and somehow get the best stuff available for Sonar users at discounts. Or at least encourage the WAVES dudes to create lite products for us.

What's up with all the NOMAD BLUE plugs?  Not worth considering? Should I avoid it all and get Izotope products? Even though no one mentioned them above?

(Yea I know it is "iZotope" but I have a general disgust with the stupidity of placing an "i" in front of any word. Same with placing "My" in front of everything else. Just dumb.)

Maybe Cakewalk should develop more and have less reliance on 3rd party developers.  Lite versions of a 3rd party app are an annoyance.
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/22 15:31:24 (permalink)
    kitekrazy1

Maybe Cakewalk should develop more and have less reliance on 3rd party developers.  Lite versions of a 3rd party app are an annoyance.

Hey... speak for yourself!    The included Lounge Lizard Session is my favorite EP, and I've used TH2 Producer and Breverb PC many times over.   And while they're not light versions, Blue Tubes FX and AD2 are used on almost every project too.   I'm happy that they're all included!

Back on topic... I'll have to checkout Craig's limiter tip.   While Ozone 5 is my go-to, ya never know when a little different flavor might come in handy.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

...wicked
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/22 15:41:38 (permalink)
    I think the 3rd party stuff is mostly hit and sometimes miss. I haven't used Breverb or that Acoustic Strum thingee but I've used TH2 and the Blue Tubes stuff a lot (the BT bundle is pretty great actually). 

This biggest problem with them is the turbulent market for 3rd party developers. 2 SONAR versions later and you're now without a go-to verb (or sampler, anyone remember VSampler?). And trying to track and re-install can be a quixotic adventure. 

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    Anderton
    Re: Replacing Waves plugins with Cakewalk plugins 2014/12/22 20:09:54 (permalink)
    ...wicked
    I haven't used Breverb or that Acoustic Strum thingee but I've used TH2 and the Blue Tubes stuff a lot (the BT bundle is pretty great actually). 

Acoustic Strum is great when you want a real-time readout of chord progressions

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1