The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2014/12/19 15:25:40 (permalink)

Frets like the great wall of China?

What's up with that?

I'm working on one of these today...

...and I am somewhat amazed to see that the frets feel like big squared off fences, and I mean a big fence... like the Great Wall of China or something.

Do people really like that sort of feel?

28 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/19 16:30:02 (permalink)
    Some people do, some people don't. The 2015 models have very low frets, as allowed by a new PLEK program that provides for tighter fret dressing. Some people are complaining about them, but most guitarists seem to like having the better intonation that lower frets allow.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/19 16:39:30 (permalink)
    I put the tallest bass frets in guitars I have redone, so I prefer the deeper scallops for bending. I crown them though, so I would see a square top as "unfinished." It may also be done to hide fret-wear as a crowned fret becomes obvious quickly, especially if the frets are soft.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/19 16:43:58 (permalink)
    Yes, I've spent the past week playing two old Gibson acoustics, a 1949 LG-2, and a 1954 LG-2, that I have here on loan and they are dressed like "fretless wonders" so you can slide up and down the board without a second thought. The interesting thing about this is the fact that the LG-2 was more or less a student grade guitar. Oh my!!!

I own a 199? SG that has/had jumbos but I crowned the frets extensively so that they are smooth, round, and just plain sexy.

This Supreme was dropped off by a musician who wants me to make it lovable. He didn't articulate what he wanted more better, he just asked me to give it back when I thought it was sweet. The electronics seem pretty milk toast but there's nothing that needs maintenance.

I think the fact that the frets literally feel like cinder blocks as you move about the board seems remarkable.

I like playing different guitar setups to change things up and this sure fits the bill. :-)
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2014/12/19 17:00:31

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/19 23:45:36 (permalink)
    Every time I get a Gibson with the patented "Speed Bump" frets, it goes straight to the shop. The PLEK machine is German precision, so the frets are very level and true, but it can be uncomfortable. I've heard of this style referred to as a school bus profile. Tall, square with a slightly curved top.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/20 08:35:42 (permalink)
    Hi John,
     That is very interesting. I don't get out enough, or surf the guitar forums, to have realized that this is an ongoing topic of discussion. My OP was just a reaction to the jolt that was running up my forearm as I slid down the fret board. I am fascinated by the effect it has had on my improvisational playing. When I play on a smoother fret job I can slide along easily and if I get lost I can use my *hearingtuition* to slide back into the harmony, but with these frets I am so busy dealing with the mechanics of hopping the speed bumps that my attempts at slide-n-search are stopping short and leaving me stranded in the weeds. I switched back to playing one of my guitars last night and it all came back to me and suddenly I could play guitar again.

I'm having a hard time imagining how anyone would buy this guitar after a test play at a store. In fact, this guitar was originally provided to a touring artists through a take this guitar and try it out program, and it eventually was gifted to the artist's guitar tech who left it here with a local musician who shares a house with the tech. In other words, the guitar tech had better things to do than crown the frets on what amounts to just another fancy guitar. 

I've been drawn in now. I'm gonna see what I can do to make this axe enjoyable.

When I first read about PLEK it never occurred to me that it would just flatten the frets and not crown them. Wow.

When I first read about PLEK it was described as an achievement of perfection so imagining that the machines could be updated with a new PLEK program for tighter tolerances was beyond my vision of what the term "perfection" would seem to describe. 

I started crowning the frets last night. I use a work a little, restring and play little, work flow when I am going for the gold. 

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/20 13:30:53 (permalink)
    Well, I think as much as you pay for that guitar, they put in heavy-duty frets (railroad ties bed). Skinny frets wear out faster, wider frets last longer, I think it is the way it goes.
    So if it is Pleked, then I have no idea of what he would want you to do except check the intonation, and that kind of stuff. (lower playing action ?).

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/20 17:36:38 (permalink)
    i've always preferred hand tuned frets,
    even tho the strength of the PLEK system is obvious.....

i like medium frets..
    but one of my favorite guitars, my old ibanez artist, has huge frets, but are very low and flat.......
    with a 12" radius on an ebony neck, it feels ultra smooth.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Anderton
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/20 18:48:27 (permalink)
    ampfixer
    Every time I get a Gibson with the patented "Speed Bump" frets, it goes straight to the shop. The PLEK machine is German precision, so the frets are very level and true, but it can be uncomfortable. I've heard of this style referred to as a school bus profile. Tall, square with a slightly curved top.

Check out a 2015 Les Paul sometime, it's quite different. Gibson introduced cryogenically frozen frets last year, which reduces fret wear by a huge factor. They wouldn't be able to do the low frets without it, because wear would become a major issue. I must say I'm learning a lot about all this stuff being at Gibson...for example all the frets are still ultimately polished by humans. PLEK only goes so far.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/20 19:27:20 (permalink)
    I can appreciate the physics of cryogenic metallurgy, but it seems like an exaggeration to explain that low frets and wear are a major issue dissuading guitar makers from using small fret wire. Lots of guitars come with tiny frets and sexy fret work. I don't have to look any further than the classic and original Les Paul, but I have a dozen or so other examples sitting here as well... including the 1949 and 1954 Gibsons acoustics that I mentioned previously.

You have me curious; What is the Cryogenic fret wire's hardness on the Vickers HV5-___ scale?

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/20 23:49:30 (permalink)
    mike_mccue
    ... but with these frets I am so busy dealing with the mechanics of hopping the speed bumps that my attempts at slide-n-search are stopping short and leaving me stranded in the weeds.

Could it be that you're used to hitting the fretboard when fretting so tall frets would make that painful ?

I'm no guitar expert (and I don't know how huge the frets in question are), but it seems to me if you go with a light touch, that doesn't require bottoming out on the fretboard, there wouldn't be any bumps to be felt.  Just speculation.  I'm just interested in the mechanics of what makes a tall fret bad.

The tiny soft frets on my acoustic were notched in no time.  I prefer the much bigger ones on my Heritage 535.
    I wouldn't want tall square frets though.  That's odd.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/21 09:21:20 (permalink)
    Hi Paul,
     Interesting question. I guess I'm used to actually touching the fret board. I play relatively heavy tension strings. I think it's easier to play with a light touch with lower tension strings.
     I haven't had to learn to worry about fret wear so I must not be pressing so hard that I'm wearing my frets out prematurely from doing so.

I want a Heritage 535! :-) I own two of the Heritage 575s, both with tiny frets. I bought the first and liked it so much that when I saw another that was a good deal I snatched it up. 

The thing about fret wire is that it comes in varying hardness. Even the regular old 18% nickel wire is available with different hardness ratings and more importantly, or more specifically, different wear resistance factors.

The cheap stuff wears fast and the good stuff wears slowly.

The polymorphic nature of an inter metallic alloy provides an opportunity for the factories to choose the most appropriate crystalline structure for the intended task.

The sentiment that small frets wear unnecessarily fast is usually based on anecdotal experiences with fast wearing frets rather than frets that simply wear less quickly.

Gibson states that they tested their new cryogenic treated frets against their normal frets.

http://www2.gibson.com/Ne...-Frets-Are-Better.aspx

The Cryogenic frets last 4 times longer. Then they go on to say that: 

"In practical terms, this means that your 2014 model year guitar will almost certainly never need a fret job (unless you plan to live for several centuries)."

In practical terms, for the past century a lot of guitarists have been satisfied with frets lasting only 1/4 of several centuries and they have generally prioritized a preferred choice of the size and shape of the fret over any fears of, or warnings about, accelerated wear.

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2014/12/21 13:02:41

michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/21 11:55:01 (permalink)
    I had an American Deluxe Strat that had Jumbo frets on it, not square, but well rounded and polished. It felt a little odd at first, being so large, however, string bends were really easy on the larger frets. Maybe people who play lead and solo a lot prefer the jumbo fret type.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/21 12:05:54 (permalink)

Here is a example of just some of the choices available:

DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/21 12:14:19 (permalink)
    Here's a link to Dan Erlewine (stew-mac) explaining the how and why of fret dressing.
    link
    I passed on a "fretless wonder" back in '68 and opted instead for a goldtop.
    Its the closest thing to a "real" '59 burst I've ever played.
    I gotta "feel" the frets; just sayin'...
    "Flattopped" frets are just "wrong"; for a million reasons.
    Gibson needs to stop trying to re-invent the wheel and get back to basics.
    Just my nickel98....
    Tom

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/21 13:11:17 (permalink)
    Agree with you there, Tom. I can't stand the wider neck of the 2015's. The old neck size was perfect.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    mettelus
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/25 01:50:53 (permalink)
    The StewMac #150 (0.110/0.055) fret wire is what I have used for refretting (but also requires the nut to be replaced). I was playing one today and taking note of my playing style... most often I will slide using my ring finger which has the largest callous and also put tension on strings with my middle/index a lot as well. Because of this I never noticed the "speed bump" effect, but today I just used my index finger intentionally, and the speed bump effect is very noticeable even crowned properly.

Another thing that never occurred to me until I was critiquing myself today is that I do barres with my pinky more than I realized. When I need reach with my index finger, I noticed I was digging in my pinky quite a lot across 2-3 strings. I think the increased scallop helps this, as my pinky is not that strong, and the angle I was doing this at was awkward in some cases.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Anderton
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/25 03:55:16 (permalink)
    mike_mccue
    I can appreciate the physics of cryogenic metallurgy, but it seems like an exaggeration to explain that low frets and wear are a major issue dissuading guitar makers from using small fret wire.

I never said it was. I was talking specifically about Gibson being able to lower frets without being as concerned about wear. I didn't say anything about guitar makers in general and whether they are or are not dissuaded to use particular frets for particular reasons. Gibson doesn't want people to have to re-fret guitars. I don't know if that's a priority with other manufacturers or not.

Lots of guitars come with tiny frets and sexy fret work.

Yes, but that's not the point. The point is fret wear. As Paul P said right after your post:

"The tiny soft frets on my acoustic were notched in no time.  I prefer the much bigger ones on my Heritage 535.
    I wouldn't want tall square frets though."

I don't know how much touring or studio work you've done, but fret wear is a problem for people who play guitar professionally. Re-fretting is to be avoided if possible because it's difficult not to affect the neck to some degree in the process. Obviously, the lower the frets, the more a given amount of wear matters.

You have me curious; What is the Cryogenic fret wire's hardness on the Vickers HV5-___ scale?

That's not relevant. The upshot of cryogenic treatment isn't a change in hardness, but a) resistance to wear and b) increased strength. Strength and hardness are not necessarily related. Here's a basic description of the process.

Here are some links to research papers regarding how cryogenic treatment affects metals. The same site also talks about diverse applications of the process.

http://www.300below.com/the-influence-of-cryogenic-treatment-on-the-dimensional-stability-of-en-353-gear-steel/

http://www.300below.com/deep-cryogenic-treatment-improves-wear-resistance-of-en-31-steel/

http://www.300below.com/the-effect-of-cryogenic-treatment-on-distribution-of-residual-stress-in-case-carburized-en-353-steel/

http://www.300below.com/enhancing-the-wear-resistance-of-case-carburized-en-353-steel-by-cryogenic-treatment/

Anderton
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/25 04:17:50 (permalink)
    DeeringAmps
    Gibson needs to stop trying to re-invent the wheel and get back to basics.

But that's the whole point of doing a new model year with guitars that have different features. A guitar lasts a lot longer than a year; no one except maybe rich collectors are going to buy a new guitar every year, and people have different preferences in guitars. If you want an older school Les Paul guitar, you can still find 2014 and 2013 guitars. The changes that are in the 2015 models may or may not end up in the 2016 ones. For example, I passed on the 2014s except for the Melody Maker, which has great single coil P90s, and the EB 5 bass because it's a 5-string, light, and gets eight different sounds through pickup wirings, without active electronics. I have a 2013 Studio that's a great little guitar, and a Dark Fire and FBX for the automatic tuning.

But the 2015 LP Standard is really tempting me. I was trained on classical guitar so my thumb is on the back of the neck most of the time; there's no wrap around. I'm also very active with vibrato and with the extra 0.050" of an inch width, I never pull the 1st or 6th strings off the neck any more. Also, I've been playing a lot more slide guitar because the adjustable nut makes it easy to raise the strings, and the G FORCE automatic tuning makes open tunings easily accessible for slide. The Standard does retain the electronics from the 2014 model with the coil tap pull knobs (and no active electronics), so having 13 distinct pickup sounds appeals to me.

The thicker fingerboard in the 2015s helps with stability, particularly on the SGs, and I personally like the lower frets because I hit the strings pretty hard so I press down pretty hard, and lower frets means less intonation issues. The double-V tip in the output jack is more secure on stage, which is not a huge deal but every little bit helps...and I really like the feel of the new buffing and oiling process on the neck. Finally I've been told the case allows the guitar to survive a 15-foot drop (I haven't tried) which is kinda helpful if you take Delta Airlines to Europe...I don't like the Les Paul 100 signature on the headstock, but I'll cope. 

Now, this doesn't mean everyone or even anyone else will necessarily agree. I just happen to find these change suit what I want from a guitar more than the 2014s. So I'm going to snap up one of these babies this year, because some changes may or may not make it to next year. If the wider neck didn't make it to 2016, I'd regret not having picked up a 2015.

The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/25 08:29:38 (permalink)
    Craig, It's Christmas....

...If you want to quibble about the difference in hardness and wear resistance, which I have alluded to in the post I addressed to Paul, you may wish to advise Gibson to use the correct terminology on this page:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Why-Cryogenically-Treated-Frets-Are-Better.aspx

and ask some one to edit the erroneous use of the phrase "molecular structure" to the correct metallurgical description "crystalline structure".

I didn't read the links you provided but I suspect, if they are informative links, that they will explain the appreciable difference between molecular structure and crystalline structure in polymorphic compounds, and alloys in particular.

I acknowledge that discussing fret "hardness" will elicit the enthusiastic response of the "fret tone" aficionados. If the characteristic that has been improved is actually the crystalline structure and its associated wear resistance rather than a change in hardness, it may be beneficial to point out that crystalline structure can be enhanced without substantively changing hardness.

In other words, a benefit of cryogenic frets is that one may enjoy increased wear resistance while keeping the fret tone associated with a "fret tone" aficionados' favorite frets.

I was entertained with the hyperbole about the cryogenic frets lasting several centuries, or as the author also stated: 4 times as long as normal frets. The statement reminded me that the good quality regular frets will last a pretty long time too.

I have no doubt that cryogenic frets are extremely wear resistant but I also know that most good frets are sufficiently wear resistant while the less wear resistant examples, as can be found on some factory guitars, may be problematic to people.

Last week I had two post WWII Gibsons at the house, and enjoyed them very much. This week I am playing a 1929 Gibson for fun and relaxation. I like the Gibsons and I am well aware of how frets wear or don't wear over time.

In any event, I have crowned these frets. They are still quite tall, but now they are rounded and smooth, I strung it up with some Slinky strings. I turned the truss rod a bit, and now I have found that this particular guitar needs a new nut before it can be its very best. The A string slot was carved too low (let me spell this out: it was certainly not carved too low at the factory... it probably happened while out on tour) but it will be a simple fix to carve a new bone nut. The guitar is starting to play like a rocker.

edit spelling  

post edited by mike_mccue - 2014/12/25 09:09:55

The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/25 09:42:19 (permalink)

What component of fret wear is due to material loss, due to a lack of wear resistance, and what component of fret wear can be ascribed to deformation, or displacement as a result of hardness?

When you observe a fret that has a section that has simply disappeared, perhaps from sliding, or bending a string across it, that is a wear issue.

When you observe a fret that has been flattened and appears to be squashed by the string action, that is deformation.

I think it's easy to agree that wear resistance is an important factor in fret longevity.

I wonder if we can also agree that "hardness", as quantified on something like the Vickers Hardness scale, is also relevant?

In case anyone is curious about why I have mentioned the Vickers scale instead of the other common hardness scales, it is because there are Vickers scale ratings available for several fret manufacturers' products and so there is an opportunity to make comparisons that some people feel are relevant.

When I read a statement such as

"Cryogenically treated metals become more durable, stronger without being harder, and are much more resistant to abrasive wear."

I think it's relevant to learn the hardness of the frets, regardless of an idea that the cryogenic process doesn't effect the hardness, because terms like "stronger" and "durable" don't just apply to resistance to abrasive wear.

I didn't initiate this thread to debate fret wear. It's not something I think of as a big issue, but now that it has been described as a "problem" I think it is relevant to explore the details. 

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2014/12/25 10:10:48

DeeringAmps
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/25 09:45:56 (permalink)
    Mix some bone fillings with super glue and bring the A slot up (is the factory nut actually bone?).
    Replacing the nut on a Paul is some pretty advanced stuff (mister you're a better man than I).
    Nut work is something that I am VERY careful with, and mind full of my own limitations!
    That being said I could write a pretty lengthy essay concerning the nut work on a couple of
    "Custom Shop" Gibson's I have owned.
    BUT, in truth, they varied a lot back in the Gibson, Inc. Kalamazoo Mich. days too!
    But a properly setup Paul (and I'm not talkin' a Black Beauty "fretless wonder") remains
    the "standard" by which all must be judged.
    I was once "seduced" by a PRS CU 24, she plays like "butta", but has never, ever had the tone of my old Paul.
    Just ask my wife...
    T
    (spelling)

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/25 10:19:52 (permalink)
    Hi Tom,
     Thanks for the tips!

I'm pretty comfortable with replacing a nut. :-) I really enjoy the craft of shaping them and making the strings sing up on top of one that is properly notched. 

DeeringAmps
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/25 11:12:35 (permalink)
    You've done Gibson's before?
    T

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/25 11:24:29 (permalink)
    Yes,
     Gibson, Heritage, Hamer, Epiphone.

More often because the slots are too wide rather than too low. I assume that they get this way when someone who doesn't have a full collection of fret files attempts a small adjustment with a file that is larger than an ideal size.

I've done a few left hand conversions too.

As we have noted, guitar construction changes over the years... is there some thing you want to warn me about?

Anderton
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/25 13:09:44 (permalink)
    mike_mccue
    Craig, It's Christmas....

...If you want to quibble about the difference in hardness and wear resistance, which I have alluded to in the post I addressed to Paul, you may wish to advise Gibson to use the correct terminology on this page:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Why-Cryogenically-Treated-Frets-Are-Better.aspx

and ask some one to edit the erroneous use of the phrase "molecular structure" to the correct metallurgical description "crystalline structure".

You're the one who characterized what I said as an "exaggeration." So Christmas or not, I needed to address an inaccurate summary of what I said, the topic under discussion, and provide links for those who want to know more about this process. If that doesn't include you that's fine, but there are some knowledgeable people reading this thread who might want to know more about cryogenic treatment.

You may consider the difference between hardness and wear resistance as quibbling, but I respectfully disagree. The difference is significant and important to many guitarists. There are harder fret materials available but they are not preferred by the majority of guitarists. So Gibson considered it important to increase wear resistance without increasing hardness. 

I didn't read the links you provided...

If you had, you would have seen "molecular structure" is the term the company that invented this particular process uses. Gibson is not the inventor, so of course would defer to the inventors' description of the process and would not change it based on a comment in an internet forum. Take it up with 300 Below and if they change it, let me know and I'll ask Gibson's editor to change it. 

I was entertained with the hyperbole about the cryogenic frets lasting several centuries

Well, that isn't what it said. I checked the article link and it said "In practical terms, this means that your 2014 model year guitar will almost certainly never need a fret job (unless you plan to live for several centuries)." The parenthetical phrase is called humor (obviously, only vampires live for several centuries) so it's appropriate you found it entertaining.

The statement reminded me that the good quality regular frets will last a pretty long time too.

No one ever said they didn't; the point is that cryogenically treated frets exhibit less fret wear than non-treated frets.

Last week I had two post WWII Gibsons at the house, and enjoyed them very much. This week I am playing a 1929 Gibson for fun and relaxation. I like the Gibsons and I am well aware of how frets wear or don't wear over time.

So if you understand how frets to or don't wear over time, then that's why nothing I said could be considered an exaggeration. To summarize: a) frets can wear, b) people don't like to do fret jobs on necks, c) if frets wear less, you can have lower frets that will retain the way their height for much longer because they exhibit less wear, and d) this helps insure the owner won't have to have a fret job done for a long time, if ever.

But so much for frets. What I really want to know is why the forum software sometimes changes font sizes arbitrarily, so I have to edit the post font family/size.

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2014/12/25 14:40:55 (permalink)

That adjustable nut + zero fret is a great idea.  I just might fabricate my own.  I've made three bone nuts and adjusted a few others.  It's tricky business and you're kind of stuck with the result.  I'd really like to be able to just dial in the nut height with an allen key.

I wonder though what happens when the nut is no longer in total contact with the neck, but only through the contact of two small allen screws.  The middle of the nut is just floating between the two points.  Maybe a screw between each string would be better.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    mettelus
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2015/01/24 02:58:32 (permalink)
    I revisited this thread and did more research on PLEKing and called a luthier in OH last week regarding this. I have done a lot of work on my first guitar, yet still default to others which has been due to fret action alone, and the gentleman was a real treat to speak with. He typically turns around a guitar in 2-3 days (not weeks) and since he took the time to speak with me I shipped him that guitar this week, so will give you guys feedback when it comes home.

He mentioned something during the call that caught me by surprise which was (paraphrasing) "Yes, Gibson uses PLEKing, but as a manufacturing process so the guitar necks are not under tension. Not all necks respond the same way, so I have actually PLEK'd brand new $3000-$4000 guitars because of this."

soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: Frets like the great wall of China? 2015/02/06 18:34:10 (permalink)
    unsubscribe

What's up with that?

I'm working on one of these today...

...and I am somewhat amazed to see that the frets feel like big squared off fences, and I mean a big fence... like the Great Wall of China or something.

Do people really like that sort of feel?

Who cares?! it's PURDDY! If you don't wantsit can I havesit?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1