How do people treat spill between drum mics?

Author
optimus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
2014/12/20 10:33:41 (permalink)

How do people treat spill between drum mics?

Now that I've a handle on my cymbal problem, I would like to know how people treat spill between drum mics.

At this stage I am setting up an OH, snare, rack tom, floor tom and kick mics, and while I've managed to get   decent overall tracks, on listening to individual tracks there is a lot of spill between adjacent mics.

I know that some spill is inevitable, but I think I'm hearing to much kick in the snare mic, and too much snare in the kick mic. I'm not too concerned about too much spill in the tom mics, as the toms are hit only occasionally, the gap between hits can be edited. But editing is more difficult in the snare and kick tracks as kick and snare are busyer and cymbals overlap at times. I suppose mic orientation could help, but this is limited by the proximity of the drums.

I have tried using the gate in the Pro Console with some success but don't feel confident with it as I think it affects the sound. Also that begs the question, should the gate be on the way in, or after recording, like I have done?

So, how do you pros handle spill, or am I worrying too much about it? 

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch

22 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/20 20:52:16 (permalink)
    EQ on both tracks.

HPF on the snare(low cut)
    LPF on the kick(high cut)

Tweak to taste.
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/21 00:10:08 (permalink)
    How do you treat spill? Mostly - get em in phase - eq out the ugly stuff - then don't worry about it.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    optimus
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/21 07:11:30 (permalink)
    So you're  saying not to worry about spill and just eq and mix the kit for the best sound. I would have thought there should be more.

Today I did some experimenting with just the raw tracks and tried various eqs and came up with something quite workable. Just added a little compression, no gates, and am reasonably pleased with the results.

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/21 14:39:18 (permalink)
    depends on the song and the mix.

some mixes, rely on all that spill to 'glue' the whole set together.

other mixes, you don't hear it, i'll actually blank out all the empty parts of all the drum tracks by removing the audio between the strike and the end of the decay.

several ways to do this...

sometimes i'll mix the two techniques together,
    let the spill over remain for certain sections,
    nuke it on others.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/21 14:41:04 (permalink)
    a perfect example of aggressive gating on drums that works in the context of the song:

http://youtu.be/J17v-1rDl1M

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/21 15:42:52 (permalink)
    If you do decide to use close mic sounds and distant mic sounds eg overheads it is important to get into shifting the timing of the O'Heads in relation to the direct sounds.  If the O'Heads are 6 feet above for example they will be roughly 6 ms late compared to the direct copunds.  I have found it is interesting shifting the timing of the OHeads back slightly.  The effect can be quite pronounced.  It is also interesting to delay that sound a little more too sometimes for a different effect.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/21 16:02:38 (permalink)
    optimus
    Now that I've a handle on my cymbal problem, I would like to know how people treat spill between drum mics.

At this stage I am setting up an OH, snare, rack tom, floor tom and kick mics, and while I've managed to get   decent overall tracks, on listening to individual tracks there is a lot of spill between adjacent mics.

I know that some spill is inevitable, but I think I'm hearing to much kick in the snare mic, and too much snare in the kick mic. I'm not too concerned about too much spill in the tom mics, as the toms are hit only occasionally, the gap between hits can be edited. But editing is more difficult in the snare and kick tracks as kick and snare are busyer and cymbals overlap at times. I suppose mic orientation could help, but this is limited by the proximity of the drums.

I have tried using the gate in the Pro Console with some success but don't feel confident with it as I think it affects the sound. Also that begs the question, should the gate be on the way in, or after recording, like I have done?

So, how do you pros handle spill, or am I worrying too much about it? 

I do what bapu mentioned and eq things out that shouldn't be there. For example, you don't need much low end in a snare drum. High passing should remove some of the kick you hear. From there, I use the Sonitus gate and get it just right. You shouldn't hear any artifacts that take away from the track when you do it right.

I do the same thing for all drum tracks. Try to accentuate the track using eq to enhance the drium, but also high pass/low pass to remove the unwanted stuff that might be bleeding through with the use of a gate. I really like the Sonitus gate....and like it a lot better than the PC gate. The Waves gate is cool too. As bats says, some mixes depend on the glue of that bleed you hear to make a difference for the better, so be careful. Some of those live elements add some good stuff too. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    optimus
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/21 17:57:49 (permalink)
    As usual, I can rely on considered advise from this place.
    Thanks to you all.

Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/24 10:38:37 (permalink)
    The PX-64 is wonderful for this type of situation because it has EQ and a dynamic range expander. The expander resembles a gate, but has a gentler action where you can cause levels to drop off dramatically below a certain threshold. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Living Room Rocker
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 675
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/25 22:52:39 (permalink)
    The old mop and bucket.

Kind regards, Living Room Rocker
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/25 23:39:06 (permalink)
    Take a look at the eq settings in addictive drums 2 for the various kits.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/26 00:02:36 (permalink)
    Very careful gating (i.e., adjusting the parameters of the gate) followed by manually removing anything the gate did not catch.  Personally, I like the Sonitus gate.

Mic’ing inside of the bass drum helps.

For mic’s outside of the bass drum or even a mic on the underside of the snare a tunnel may be helpful.  This can range from a professional mic isolating setup to a simple moving blanket.  I’ve experimented with moving blankets and found them to be from modestly useful to a waste of time … but modestly useful might be all you need so, worth a try.

The crash cymbal bleed in the bass drum mic can be problematic when trying to get a cymbal crash to sit in the mix.  If you find yourself doing something like putting a volume envelope on a crash hit in the overheads you may want to listen for the amount of bleed in the bass drum.  A better option might be to simply cut and paste the bass drum happening under that crash.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
    optimus
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/26 07:16:18 (permalink)
    Living Room Rocker
    The old mop and bucket.

I love this place

quantumeffect

For mic’s outside of the bass drum or even a mic on the underside of the snare a tunnel may be helpful.  This can range from a professional mic isolating setup to a simple moving blanket.  I’ve experimented with moving blankets and found them to be from modestly useful to a waste of time … but modestly useful might be all you need so, worth a try.

Umm ... what is a snare tunnel and moving blanket...?

quantumeffect
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/26 15:04:50 (permalink)
    Here is the professional version of a tunnel (i.e., mic isolator) from Clearsonic.  You can do a homebrew variation using boxes or milk crates for structural support and then drape quilted blankets (or moving blankets) over the whole thing to isolate you mic.

http://www.clearsonic.com/skt3.htm

Isolating the bottom snare mic entails wrapping the snare like a skirt with a blanket.

Dave

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

quantumeffect
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/26 15:10:12 (permalink)
    Here is a fun article from Drum magazine entitled "How To Re-create Drum Sounds Of The 1970s":

http://www.drummagazine.com/plugged-in/post/gotta-have-that-thump1/

If you toggle to the 2nd page of the article and scroll down to figure 5 you will see a snare wrapped with a blanket/skirt in an effort to isolate the bottom mic.

Dave

optimus
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/26 18:17:53 (permalink)
    Thanks quant, very interesting and creative.

Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/27 21:22:25 (permalink)
    I was a studio drummer for years in L.A. in the eighties.  Never used a blanket under the snare but it was common to drape a really heavy blanket over the kick and kick mic. Bleed was controlled through proper mic placement and EQ. The engineers were very good at checking for phasing between mics using a phase meter and listening in mono. 
    I always used my wallet on top of my Ludwig Supraphonic 400 snare which muffled the ring.  I taped toilet paper to the toms with masking tape as close to the rim as I could. 
    I used Remo Ambassador heads on the top and Diplomat clears on the bottom of all toms. 
    Charles Ferris, Chief Engineer at Captial Records, would then roll off 15db (or so) of 400 hz from all drum mics. We did a lot of work together in Studio A and B there.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/27 22:07:07 (permalink)
    I can only speak of my experiences but they may lend some info.  I believe if you close mic well and set the gains correctly on the way in, the signal to noise ratio will be very high on the close mics. ie the sound they are intending to hear will be just at the right level and any other unwanted sounds will be at a very low level. And low enough to gate easily or use a downward expander set the right way.

I have found Rode NT5's are excellent as overheads, slightly out the front pointing in toward the kit and up at a reasonable height.  If set correctly these OHeads can actually reject a whole band and a PA even very well.

I play a Sonor kit and the drums are exceptional.  For kick I have got the hole in the front (6" or so and I put the mic right inside.  I have got a little blanket my son used to lay on as a baby, when folded up just right sits nice in the bottom and can be easily adjusted inside.  It just touches the front and batter heads.  I find this internal blanket can be used to really set the kick drum sound from well rounded and longish to short and snappy.  I sometimes place a small brick on the blanket once it is sounding right and it never moves after that.  Don't forget wooden beaters sound very different to felt beaters. Use the right one for the style in hand.

On toms I sometimes use those damping rings which you can buy or make from old heads.  I have made those hoops from 1/4" wide up to 1" wide for all head sizes.  The wider ones dampen the toms much more.  The narrower ones let a little ring back in and on the snare that can be real nice. It is easy to get a decent tom rock sound with those.  In other more Jazzy situations I tune the toms differently and let them ring more naturally of course.  Pitches need to come up for Jazzy styles and lower tunings for Rock.

Most of all get the drums sounding killer in real life then you will have an easy time thereafter.

On the hats I mic them with a condenser mic but have the rear end of the mic facing the snare and the front part aimed at where you are hitting the hats.  With care you can reject a lot of snare here.  Filtering after the recording in post can do wonders too on hat mics.

It is very essential to not only play nice groove wise but hit all the surfaces you have available with the correct amount of force to just make the sound you are after.  Cymbals do not need to smashed in order to hear them, often they only need to be stroked.  (tell that to EVERY drummer you know!)  The snare is a loud drum and too many drummers play it too loud.  Toms and the kick benefit from a bit of power behind those strokes.  Beater control on the kick is important too.  It needs to hit the head and get right out of the way of the head immediately after so the head is free to vibrate and hence complete the sound.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/28 13:03:04 (permalink)
    Rimshot
    I was a studio drummer for years in L.A. in the eighties.  Never used a blanket under the snare but it was common to drape a really heavy blanket over the kick and kick mic. Bleed was controlled through proper mic placement and EQ. The engineers were very good at checking for phasing between mics using a phase meter and listening in mono. 
    I always used my wallet on top of my Ludwig Supraphonic 400 snare which muffled the ring.  I taped toilet paper to the toms with masking tape as close to the rim as I could. 
    I used Remo Ambassador heads on the top and Diplomat clears on the bottom of all toms. 
    Charles Ferris, Chief Engineer at Captial Records, would then roll off 15db (or so) of 400 hz from all drum mics. We did a lot of work together in Studio A and B there.

Isn't it amazing that TODAY, we allow that ring we used to eliminate back then, Jimmy?! LOL!! Moon gels really do a nice job when you need a little control without totally making things dead. It's funny, I never thought I'd allow ring in my stuff because it just sounded over-bearing.

Then one day, after really listening to a recording I did for a client that used a really cool sounding Rogers kit, it dawned on me....."this drum sound sounds like when I play on the boxes in my warehouse when I do my day job shipping and receiving!" And they did. We used to tape, muffle and "wallet" everything to the point of deadness and things sounds like hitting a cardboard box. I'm SO glad I saw the light and allowed for some nice resonance and ring. Those little torque wrenches for drum tuning are quite good also. Though I like to rely on my ears, I've enjoyed the sound of near perfect tuning with the torque wrenches as they provide excellent tone and control of the bottom heads. (which in my day, we used to remove! LOL)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2014/12/28 16:43:46 (permalink)
    Totally can relate Danny.  Steve Gadd was pretty much my studio drummer idol and he used the "old" method back then for hundreds of albums.  Check out the tape on these toms:

http://asia.yamaha.com/lo.../00022591/00022591.jpg

http://www.drummagazine.com/images/gear/081010-Steve-Gadd.jpg

Then some rings and gel:
    http://img.youtube.com/vi/pKSiDsZH1b8/0.jpg

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    TremoJem
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 479
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2015/01/26 10:25:58 (permalink)
    Great stuff here!

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

Most importantly...not enough time.

www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

denverdrummer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 278
    Re: How do people treat spill between drum mics? 2015/01/28 14:22:47 (permalink)
    There were multiple methods used back in the 70's.  Tony Williams never used tape on his drums, and he used very large drums for a jazz drummer with a 14x24 kick, that he only used the old style felt strips wedged under the head against the bearing edge, no pillows or anything.  He used clear Remo CS dot heads top and bottom which have a very focused tone, and he would tune the heads higher than Gadd would.
    Peart, Palmer, Bonham, none of them used much if any muffling on their kits.  They all have different sounds but they were big and in your face.

But yeah back then the norm was taping down everything, even the cymbals some times, to control ring and overtones.

One of the craziest techniques I've seen was Simon Phillips using gallon paint cans in each of his 24" kicks to absorb the energy.  He says it gives a very focused sound from the mic.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1