Most notes do not sound

Author
sha-stew3@hotmail.com
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2015/01/11 18:47:54 (permalink)

Most notes do not sound

I'm using Music Creator 6 on a Windows 8.1 laptop and I'm trying to enter notes in staff view. I write three eighth notes in succession at the beginning of my track, then two sixteenth notes, then three eighth notes followed by a quarter note, then play it back. I only hear three of the nine notes actually sound out. The rest seem to be skipped. I've inspected the properties of each of the "silent" notes and the durations and velocity look fine. I've always had a problem with Cakewalk MIDI studio software after I've first installed it on a computer, in that the note durations, starting points, dynamics get randomized by some hidden default feature of the software. It usually takes me several months of digging and online research before some smart forum users explain how to stop this from happening. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance (TIA)
shastew

4 Replies Related Threads

sha-stew3@hotmail.com
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Most notes do not sound 2015/01/11 20:30:42 (permalink)
    After doing more searching on this forum I found one posting where someone suggested increasing the mixing latency setting, which is a slider in the dialog found by choosing Edit>Preferences>Audio from the menu. He complained that after increasing the latency to the max, he got most of the missing notes to play, but there were still some that didn't sound during playback. I duplicated his result with my project.

I then tried decreasing the latency setting to the minimum, which worked for me. Why an audio setting would affect the BASIC PLAYBACK of an ALL MIDI file with NO AUDIO CLIPS is beyond me. Not very intuitive, IMHO.
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Most notes do not sound 2015/01/12 02:41:15 (permalink)
    Can you please detail your system specs? Basic computer info, and type of sound interface - dedicated audio interface?  ASIO4ALL?  Sound Blaster?  On-board sound chip?

Also, please list the Sonar-reported latency values from Preferences>Audio>Driver Settings, your Driver Mode (Preferences>Audio>Playback and Recording), and your playback and record buffer sizes.

Thanks, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Most notes do not sound 2015/01/12 08:05:04 (permalink)
    It can very well be caused by the sound card (factory card) and the latency settings.

It can also be caused by the midi start/stop times of the notes being overlapped.  I've had this issue a few times, mostly when editing as opposed to initially writing in staff mode.

I'd place my money on the soundcard issue, latency settings and driver used.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Most notes do not sound 2015/01/12 09:48:46 (permalink)
    Under Preferences>Playback and Recording>Playback, increase the MIDI buffers to 500 or more from the default 250. See if that helps.
    And welcome to the forum.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1