Mapping MIDI Data to Z3TA

Author
abb
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
2015/01/17 22:47:30 (permalink)

Mapping MIDI Data to Z3TA

Hi,  I'd like to use MIDI data in a CC7 (volume) controller lane to change the Main Volume of a patch in Z3TA v2.  In the Modulation Matrix I populated the Control column with CC7 (Vol) and the Destination column with Main Volume, but this does not affect Z3TA's track volume.  I should note that I *am* able to control the LFO frequency via CC34, so I must be close.

Would someone kindly point out what I'm doing wrong?  Cheers...

2 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: Mapping MIDI Data to Z3TA 2015/01/18 07:50:39 (permalink)
    I usually turn to MIDI Learn over z3ta+2 Main Volume, as there's more control over the entire range: -inf to 0 dB.  The Modulation Matrix is additive/subtractive over the targeted parameter.  In other words, you'll be adding or subtracting here to wherever your Main Volume is currently set.

Set your Main Volume to around - 20 dB.  Some signal will leak through with a CC #7 value of 0.  You're adding to - 20 dB.  Then put in a Modulation Matrix slot such as:

Source: ON
    Range: (fully right)
    Curve:  PITCH 4 OCT
    Control:  CC7 (VOL)
    Destination:  MAIN VOLUME

The key here is the Curve entry.  It's an old z3ta+ trick to 'amplify' the input and map it to a larger range of the destination.  If you need more range of control, duplicate the Matrix slot above in a 2nd slot.  You can enter a 3rd or 4th slot, if required.  They all add together.

Just remember to lower the Main Volume control to -35dB or -40 dB before a 2nd slot.  Adjust the target control (Main Volume slider) to a lower 'base' setting every time you're going to add to it with another Modulation Matrix entry.  Just don't bring it down to the area near -inf.  You're dealing with a logarithmic scale and decibel ratios.

abb
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    Re: Mapping MIDI Data to Z3TA 2015/01/19 00:10:44 (permalink)
    b rock
    I usually turn to MIDI Learn over z3ta+2 Main Volume, as there's more control over the entire range: -inf to 0 dB.

Yes, of course.  I didn't even think of that.  It worked like a charm -- thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1