Helpful ReplyCakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Paul Ewing
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/08/12 06:04:23 (permalink)
My IBM think pad running Win 98SE died 2 months ago. (motherboard gave up)

LOOK !!!!!!!!!!  I have cake 5 & 9 on CD (paid For).

Why can't someone write some code into the setup file of Cake 3.01 and make it bootable from a CD/DVD drive ???
instead of having it "look" for the a:drive ????

We put some blokes on the moon 45 years ago'

Get my drift??????
WTF.......
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/08/16 12:25:07 (permalink)
I'm not sure if this thread is about budget or resistance to change. All of the people here with 3.01 had to get on a learning curve for that program - it's time to move up a couple of versions if not the latest. I started on an Atari with Edit Tracks Platinum years ago. Many a good tune was produced through that setup and I moved through the program with ease. But technology moves on, too fast sometimes and we are forced to also move on by hardware and software changes/support. It's a good idea to stay at least within a few versions back of the music software of your choice to minimize stoppage and frustrations. Not to mention the later written software is much better overall. I think the battle to keep 3.01 running can be won at this point in time - I just don't think it's a good investment of time.

Dave
Songs

paultomasi
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/12/01 19:35:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby lawp 2014/12/02 08:06:11
Welcome all.

I am a great fan of Cakewalk since the early 90's and for that reason, and because of my interest in MIDI, I backed up all my MIDI applications, utilities and files onto CD in the latter part of 1997. I am also an expert in DOS having cantributed articles and solutions to problems in Experts Exchange (I literally do have the T-shirt proving my credentials). I also write programs both high level (C++, VB, VBscript and advanced Batch File code) and low level (assembly code). So, I have an extensive understanding of some of the issues posed in this thread, as well as an unfading interest. 

Firstly, I DO have a copy of Cakewalk Professional 3.0 on CD. I will address the following issues:

• HOW TO STORE / TRANSFER CAKEWALK ONTO A CD
  • HOW TO INSTALL CAKEWALK FROM A CD
  • HOW TO RUN CAKEWALK 3.0 IN WINDOWS 8 AND 8.1
  • HOW TO ASSIGN DRIVE A: TO WHERE CAKEWALK SETUP FILES ARE STORED
  • HOW TO OBTAIN CAKEWALK 3.0

PLEASE NOTE: Because of time constraints, I will not give guidance to individuals relating to specifics such as configuring MIDI devices nor installing hardware drivers. The information given here is of general interest and aims to provide a means to get you on your way to installing Cakewalk 3.0 from a CD.

Before we look at these solutions, it's worth mentioning a point which I feel has been unjustly ignored. While most people would advise to move with the times and not look back at legacy software running on newer operating systems, I say the opposite. There are many options for running Cakewalk 3.0 on newer systems including Windows 8.1 however, there is absolutely nothing wrong in purchasing a refurbished 386, 486 or early Pentium computer and running Cakewalk in Windows 3.x, 95 or 98 as a dedicated networked workstation.

On a personal note, I have Cakewalk installed on an early Pentium computer with two ISA sound cards: a Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold (for audio and sound effects) and a Roland SCC-1 (for MIDI music). Playing games such as Doom is absolutely awesome. I also have Cakewalk installed on a 64-bit Windows 8.1 box sporting 6-cores.

CAKEWALK FILES
Cakewalk 3.0 comprises of 75 files which amount to 1.24MB - small enough to fit onto a single 1.44MB high density floppy diskette or two low density floppy diskettes.

With the exception of three files, SETUP.EXE, SETUP.LST and OEMSETUP.INF, all other files are packed files (compressed) whose extension names end with an underscore character.

HOW TO STORE / TRANSFER CAKEWALK ONTO A CD
Create a folder on your hard drive. Name it DISK1. Copy all of Cakewalk's files into the newly created folder. When creating your 'Install CD', ensure the DISK1 folder is burned to the root of the CD. Also, ensure you include a copy of SETUP.EXE in the root of the CD as well. So, if your CD drive letter is say E:, then your file structure would look something like this:

E:\
              \DISK1\
                           \{Cakewalk's 75 files}
              \SETUP.EXE

HOW TO INSTALL CAKEWALK FROM A CD
During installation, Cakewalk searches for it's files in a folder named DISK1 of whatever drive letter you install from. So, if you install from say drive G:, then Cakewalk will expect to find it's install files in G:\DISK1. Even if you attempt to install directly from within the folder containing Cakewalk's files, it must be named DISK1.

Similarly, if you decide to copy the install files to your hard drive prior to installing Cakewalk, then they must be copied into a folder named DISK1 off the root of the drive you are installing from. So, if you are installing from drive C:, then create a folder named DISK1 in the root of C: and copy Cakewalk's files into it.

To install Cakewalk, locate the file SETUP.EXE and double-click it or invoke it from DOS or from the 'Run' dialog box by entering the following command:

C:\DISK1\SETUP.EXE

HOW TO RUN CAKEWALK 3.0 IN WINDOWS 8 AND 8.1
Cakewalk 3.0 is a 16-bit legacy program which will not install directly on to Windows 8.1. In the past I have successfully ran Cakewalk 3.0 from Windows 3.x, 95, 98, XP and 2000 and now, Windows 8.1.

For Cakewalk 3.0 (and this applies to any legacy software) to work on Windows 8.1, it must run in a virtual machine such as VirtualBox created by Oracle Corporation and freely downloadable from:

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Once you install VirtualBox, you can create multiple virtual machines. You can then install whatever operating system you desire in each virtual machine (great for setting up multiple sandboxes). Don't forget to install the extension pack which is a separate download.

Once you create a virtual machine and install your prefered operating system such as Windows 3.x or Windows 98SE onto it, fire it up and hey presto! you have a fully fucntional Windows 3.x or whatever you've chosen to install running in a box.

Now you'll need to install drivers for your soundcard and other multimedia devices. This can be tricky at first and all I will say on the matter is post your queries in VirtualBox.org's online forum.

Once your drivers are properly installed and working, you can go ahead and install Cakewalk 3.0.

When you run Cakewalk for the first time, don't forget to configure it's MIDI Devices under Settings.

That's as much as I will say on this subject because no two computers are the same and therefore, everyone's setup will be different and unique to their hardware build.

HOW TO ASSIGN DRIVE A: TO WHERE CAKEWALK SETUP FILES ARE STORED
This is in reply to the following question (see previous post):

"Why can't someone write some code into the setup file of Cake 3.01 and make it bootable from a CD/DVD drive ??? instead of having it "look" for the a:drive ????"

Not many people will know DOS contains a command named SUBST. What SUBST does is substitute a folder's path for a drive letter. That means, you can access a folder as though it were a drive. Let me make this clearer.

Suppose you have some files in a subfolder named MYFILES whose full path is:

G:\Documents\Downloads\MYFILES\ 

What you can do is assign that location a drive letter and from thereon treat it like a separate drive. Suppose you want to use the letter 'J' as your SUBSTed drive letter, you would enter the following command in DOS:

SUBST j: g:\documents\downloads\myfiles

You can confirm this by firing up Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer). If you look at your drives you would now notice a drive J: as well as your drive C: and a drive D: (or whatever your CD's drive letter is, assuming you have one). Wow! How can this be? you might ask. Well, it's just part of DOS and has been around for a very long time.

So, how does this relate to the question? Well suppose you have some install files on a CD whose drive letter is E:. Suppose the files are in a folder whose path is E:\Applications\Cakewalk. Also, suppose when you run the installation setup program from that folder the program throws a wobbly because it expects to find it's associated installation files in drive A:. Then this is where SUBST comes in handy.

If you enter the following command in DOS:

SUBST a: e:\applications\cakewalk

Drive A: now points to the location E:\Applications\Cakewalk. You can now enter the following command in DOS:

A:\SETUP

And hey presto! The setup program will work faultlessly. Or you can just navigate to drive A: using Windows Explorer and double-click on the SETUP.EXE file.

To fire up DOS, go to Windows' menu and enter either CMD or COMMAND in the Run dialog box.

NOTE: Many modern computers do not have a physical drive A: nor drive B:. In such cases I would suggest configuring the computer's BIOS to indicate the absence of these drives so as to release their resources back to the system.

Thank you if you have made it this far...
post edited by CakeAlexS - 2014/12/01 22:55:42
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/12/01 23:08:14 (permalink)
I have edited the last post and removed the link/detail for downloading the product. Thanks.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/12/02 01:41:36 (permalink)
CakeAlexS
I have edited the last post and removed the link/detail for downloading the product. Thanks.

Was it a cracked version? Or just a full version for the taking?

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
paultomasi
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/12/02 05:58:21 (permalink)
It's a shame we're not afforded freedom of speach - even within a closed group!

lawp
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/12/02 08:17:46 (permalink)
paultomasi

it's a public forum ;-) you might better offer contact via pm or something rather than posting a direct link, but i think your instructions are very useful for getting older cakes to bake in the modern ovens, so thanks for taking the time :-)

sstteerreeoo ffllllaanngge
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/12/02 18:31:35 (permalink)
paultomasi

All I did was delete your instructions to download the product. It was a good post but this is not a warez site sorry.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/12/04 17:37:55 (permalink)
Is someone really trying to make warez a free speech issue?
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/12/05 10:07:39 (permalink)
Someone somewhere is always trying to make something a free speech issue.

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2015/01/18 17:11:03 (permalink)
Odd how so many of the old valued customers who want to do this have a history of less than 10 posts...

Regardless - the least painful way to run 16 bit software (Windows or DOS) on a modern machine is to slap a 32 bit OS on it. Otherwise you're talking about setting up a virtual machine.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
Paul Ewing
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2015/11/05 06:01:49 (permalink)
Wow!!!!  Thankyou Paultomasi.
What a great informative tutorial.
Can't wait to try these tips out.
I am on Win7 64 bit.
I have a friend who gave me a thumb drive version of CPW30 he had copied from an old machine
running XP.   Somehow it works and I have been happily editing my Rep all day in my fave MIDI prg on an Acer netbook running win7 32 bit starter.
This has not been possible for 15 years.
Still have original Floppy disk which i paid $500 for in '94 in Australia - and it spins up in a USB floppy drive but won't install on win 7.  However, my friends version on thumb drive DOES...WooHoo
Huntly
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2017/05/25 17:04:55 (permalink)
I must, even now, YEARS later, add my voice to the fans of the CWP3.0 sequencer software design and workflow!   

Cakewalk made a big mistake when they decided to integrate the process of sequencing midi tracks into what is primarily an audio processing environment. The two processes are entirely and fundamentally different! 

Sure you need to have some processing in the Midi/audio environment to 'fine-tune" your midi tracks (in a single environment)...but for me the fundamental elements of sequencing midi (which often involved cutting and pasting blocks of repetitive data) is simply impossible in the new products.

Give me CPW 3.0 anyday! 

It is the workflow of 3.0 that was so well designed and easy to use (unlike the products that have 'mixed' audio and software) As a composer / muso its sequencing facilities were and are ground-breaking, even 20 years later. 

But sadly it is rapidly approching extinction, as new operating systems, sound modules,, virtual instuments and and controllers follow the "New" and "Better" ways dictated by the "audio" clan (who prefer to just slap together someone elses "loops" and clips rather than write music from scratch.. 

I would gladly support a dedicted sequencer product so I can continue to create my 'own' music.

Just saying! 

interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2017/06/16 17:09:55 (permalink)
You could always try a virtual machine OS workaround however you still need to access your sound drivers through another interface. So bare in mind, there will be added latency.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
Kaffmate
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2017/09/18 03:12:07 (permalink)
artmat
I've been a Cakewalk user since the time 12-Tone Systems had only a 1-horse engine. I still have my original 5-1/2 inch floppy installation disk. I currently use Cakewalk 3.01 with Windows XP-Pro in a big way and for me, it runs perfectly fine on that OS.

I'd love to see the company make an effort to address the requests of many of its loyal long-term users by updating the original CW3.01 so that it operates on Win7-64/32 and Win8 while keeping its original design and layout in tact as much as possible. (I love the dots....  etc) My Cakewalk 9 Pro Audio works fine on Win7-64 but CW3.01 is still my favorite program and I dearly miss having it on my Win7-64 machine. 

I'd also be very happy to pay a reasonable price for an updated version of the old CW3.01 that works on Win7-64.

ArtMat

Hi ArtMat,
Ive been looking around for a xp pro laptop to run my 3.01 cakewalk. Do you know if it works on just Xp home edition as well. Are you using the parallel port or a usb midi interface
regards
Kaffmate

WillieT60
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2017/10/04 01:58:45 (permalink)
Does anyone know of any software that'll read and convert Cakewalk wrk. files to midi files? I have so many wrk. files from Cakewalk 3.0 or 3.1 and I desperately need a way to open them and re-save them as midi files. Help please!!!
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2017/10/05 16:01:57 (permalink)
Wouldn't any version of Pro Audio or SONAR open a cakewalk.wrk project file? It's been years since I've done it, but I'm certain I've opened early Pro Audio projects and reworked them in SONAR. Of course it doesn't work the other way around, but never had any "upward" compatibility problems ever, save for no longer having/using the plugins and or MIDI instruments.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1