Helpful ReplyMoving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive

Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2007/08/10 16:40:00 (permalink)

Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive

Hi
I installed the Dim Pro sample library some time ago and it is on my C drive. My C drive is getting pretty full. I would like to put this on my F drive where I keep my other samples and stuff.

Is it as simple as just moving it in Windows or is there something registry or Dim Pro related that I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
techead
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4353
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/10 18:09:17 (permalink)
Two steps on Windows:

1. Move your content to the new location.
2. Update the registry key that Dimension Pro uses to locate its multisamples.

The registry key is documented in Dimension Pro's readme file.

I wrote a simple Windows program (only works for the original Dimension and Dimension Pro--I've never updated it for Dimension LE or Rapture--and on Windows 2000/XP--never tested with Vista and is certainly not Vista compliant) called tweakDimension which will let you pick the folder without editing the registry directly for step #2 above.

You can download the tweakDimension program from my web server on Monday--the server is offline at the moment but will be back online sometime Sunday evening.
-Techead
space_cowboy
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/10 19:11:48 (permalink)
Thanks I will look Sunday or Monday

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
techead
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/12 21:12:23 (permalink)
My web server is back online now. You can follow the links and instructions at the tweakDimension page of the Project5 Wiki.
Infinite5ths
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3631
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/12 21:37:31 (permalink)
Also, for future reference you might be interested in this thread where Rene posted info about installing Dimension Pro without installing the content (i.e. you already have the content on another drive):

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=831312
post edited by Infinite5ths - 2007/08/12 21:45:17

Mike
MichaelDanchi.com
IPM Productions
Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
space_cowboy
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/17 12:34:50 (permalink)
I blew this one bad. I moved the sample library and ran the tool above. Now Dimension cannot find the samples. I moved it back where I had started and it double cant find them.

Help!

techead
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/17 12:54:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

I blew this one bad. I moved the sample library and ran the tool above. Now Dimension cannot find the samples. I moved it back where I had started and it double cant find them.

Help!

The default location for both the Content folder and the Multisamples folder for a default Dimension Pro install is "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\", so if you move your content folders and multisample folders to that location you will have the content at its original standard location.

Next, you must make sure the registry entries are correct. You can either manually edit them with Windows Regedit or you can use tweakDimension to do it. tweakDimension will show you the currently used folders for those registry entries when you launch it. You simply need to make sure that tweakDimension (or Regedit) are pointing to the same location as your actual folders.

If you tweak the registry entries by hand be sure to remember that each entry MUST end with a trailing slash.

post edited by techead - 2007/08/17 13:01:56
space_cowboy
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/17 12:59:36 (permalink)
By the way, it did not detect the original registry entry when I started this mess

space_cowboy
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/17 13:02:34 (permalink)
Hey Tech, how do I manually edit the registry to fix this?

Also, I just checked. I have dimension under c:\programs\cakewalk\
Under there is a number of folders, including multi-samples and programs. I do not see content.

techead
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/17 19:10:44 (permalink)
For a default installation you should have

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\

And within that main Cakewalk directory there will be a Dimension Pro subdirector like this:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\

Then, under that Dimension Pro directory will be more folders for content, multisamples, documentation, etc.

First, you need to use tweakDimension to point to "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\" to get the registry back to the way it was (or use Microsoft's regedit tool by going to "Start | Run | regedit.exe"--Dimension Pro's registry subkeys are under MyComputer\LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Dimension Pro ).

Second, you need to make sure that the physical location of all Dimension Pro files and folders are within the file system hierarchy mentioned above. If your file system layout did not get moved back the way it was originally before you had moved it then you need to reorganize as described here. You can also read about the default file system layout of Dimension Pro on page 26 of the Dimension Pro PDF manual that was installed with Dimension Pro (the online helpful has file system layout info as well).
space_cowboy
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/17 23:43:50 (permalink)
Thanks
THe files ought to be where they started from since I did an undo when the samples did not load.

However, it might be worth noting that when I first ran the tweak program that there was nothing in the original directory file.

syntheticpop
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 688
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/18 00:51:45 (permalink)
try moving to China.
techead
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/18 11:06:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy
However, it might be worth noting that when I first ran the tweak program that there was nothing in the original directory file.

Doesn't matter, really. tweakDimension only modifies the two registry entries that Dimension Pro reads when it starts up. It doesn't really care what files are where on the file systems nor does it look at them. It is merely a "simplified" registry editor that specifically modifies the two Dimension Pro registry entries. That's all it does in order to save having to run Windows regedit.exe by hand, drill down to the keys, and manually modify their values.
space_cowboy
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/22 09:14:20 (permalink)
Hey Techead - thanks for your help! Everything now hunky dory

techead
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/22 12:45:30 (permalink)
Did you have to reinstall or were you able to fix it?
space_cowboy
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/22 14:38:57 (permalink)
I had to do a reinstall. I tried the reg tweak thing and could never get Dim to find the sample files again. I am pretty uncomfortable about doing registry edits myself. I wreckd a pc that way once.

None the less, I do appreciate your help.

techead
RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2007/08/22 17:25:49 (permalink)
Glad it worked out. Now back to making music!
mawsonar
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2015/01/18 17:44:07 (permalink)
Moving Dimension Pro Samples to a Different Drive or Partition
(Windows 7 Pro & Sonar Platinum & Dimension Pro 1.5)
When I installed Sonar using the new Command Center all the sample files were copied to default folders in my C: drive. Unlike older installers I was not offered any options as to where the samples should be stored.
  1. Go to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk
  2. Right-click on the Dimension Pro folder and select COPY.
  3. Navigate to the drive or folder you want to the samples to be in, then right-click and select PASTE. This will take a little time as its 3.08Gb. I copied it to F:\ (so it became F:\Dimension Pro).
  4. Now open Registry Editor by clicking on Run… and typing in regedit.
  5. The Registry Editor will probably open with lots of stuff in the left-hand pane. Scroll up to the top and click the little triangular ‘collapse’ buttons until the listing is only "Computer" and five other "HKEY_" folders.
  6. In the left pane click the triangle to unfold HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  7. Now unfold the folder SOFTWARE.
  8. Now unfold the folder Cakewalk Music Software.
  9. I had two sub-folders related to Dimension Pro, one called Dimension Pro and the other was simply dp. When you clicked on Dimension Pro the right pane showed some basic info. However, when I clicked on dp the right pane contained the entries “Contents Folder” and “Multisamples Folder”.
  10. With dp highlighted in the left-hand pane I made a back-up. Click FILE then EXPORT… Navigate to your Desktop. Make sure the Export Range option button in the bottom of the dialog box is set on SELECTED BRANCH and the branch name is “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\dp”. Enter a file name such as GoodDP then click the SAVE button. You can Import this back if everything does not work.
  11. Double-click on “Multisamples Folder” in the right-hand pane. In the dialog box that appears change the 'Value Data:’ to your new destination (for me it was F:\Dimension Pro). Click the OK button. This change is instantly active.
  12. That should have done it. I opened Dimension Pro and tested it was OK but was it using the new sample files? To check I went back to File Explorer and changed the old Multisamples folder name to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\MultisamplesOLD.
Opened Dimension Pro again and it was still working OK.
You’ve now got two versions of the Dimension Pro folder on your PC. When you confident everything is OK you can delete the sub-folder C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\MultisamplesOLD with its 3Gb of data and the registry back-up GoodDP.reg  from your desktop.

Mark_W
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2015/01/18 17:52:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Edath 2015/01/22 10:34:52
There is a better way. Don't mess with the registry at all. To relocate the entire DimPro directory tree to "F:\Dimension Pro"

Move "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro" to "F:\Dimension Pro" using windows explorer
Then run cmd.exe as administrator and type
mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro" "F:\Dimension Pro"
post edited by scook - 2015/01/19 04:59:48
Edath
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2015/01/22 10:35:46 (permalink)
Thats great Scook.....  does that work with Rapture too?
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2015/01/22 11:18:36 (permalink)
Yes, it works with every app I have tested and it is not limited to Cakewalk or music related software.

On my PC, I did not move the entire DimPro directory tree but choose instead to move just the multisample directory. My Cakewalk samples are in N:\Cakewalk. After relocating the samples to "N:\Cakewalk\DimPro\Multisamples" at the cmd prompt I issued the command:
mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples" "N:\Cakewalk\DimPro\Multisamples"

After moving the "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture\Multisamples" to N:\Cakewalk\Rapture\Multisamples at the cmd prompt I issued the command:
mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture\Multisamples" "N:\Cakewalk\Rapture\Multisamples"
paulf707
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2016/12/26 08:29:42 (permalink)
On a similar vein, what about the programs lists?
I've added new programs into:
C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs
But they don't appear in the Program drop down list in DimensionPro - I can load them manually, but is there a way to 'refresh' the program list and 'find' the newly added programs?
I can see a text file called 'programs.lst' that probably could be updated manually, but I can't believe that's the only way to do this?
paulf707
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: RE: Moving the Dim Pro Sample Library To Another Drive 2016/12/26 08:35:54 (permalink)
OK - found a fix for this in another thread..... rename the 'programs.lst' file and then restart DimensionPro - it takes a few seconds but then it recreates the Program list (with the new programs shown correctly)
Sorted!
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1