Take Lanes "Notes" section: List style option and better basic text editing

Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2015/01/21 13:38:45 (permalink)

Take Lanes "Notes" section: List style option and better basic text editing

One of the things I loved about Take Lanes from the get go when they were introduced in X2 was the ability to make notes on each take. I use it to make general notes on specific takes as far as their overall quality/usefulness to the song then I make time based notes as to which sections of the take are the best candidates to end up in my final comp(s). Because I do a MASSIVE amount of takes so I have a large pool to choose from being able to do this right on the take in the program (as opposed to writing it down on a piece of paper) is awesome.

The problem is my notes are very elaborate sometimes and the notes section is extremely limited as far as basic text editing. Essentially you have one long line of text that automatically word wraps based on the horizontal width of the track pane. If you press Enter instead of creating a line break it takes you out of the notes section. If you hit the up/down arrow keys it takes you out of the notes section. If you try to force a list type entry by using the spacebar/mouse it gets destroyed as soon as you adjust the width of the track pane due to the word wrap.

What I would like is:

a) That the only way to escape an active notes text entry is to click somewhere outside of the notes box (so pressing enter and using arrow keys works as they would in a regular text editor).

b) Figure out a way that a list can be create that overides the wordwrapping. For example maybe the enter key could create a new line/list entry. Then the first character on that line stays anchored on the left side of the bubble and each line wordwraps independently of every other line/list item. That way I can write something like this...

00:01-00:50 Good. Use in comp.
00:50-01:30 Mistakes. Don't use.
01:30-02:30 Good but maybe use in alt comp.

etc...

Then if I shrink the track pane it looks like this...

00:01-00:50 Good.
Use in comp.
00:50-01:30 Mistakes.
Don't use.
01:30-02:30 Good but
maybe use in alt comp.

Instead of this...

00:01-00:50 Good.
Use in comp.00:50-
01:30 Mistakes. Do
n't use.01:30-02:3
0 Good but maybe
use in alt comp.

For long entries the arrow keys would be used to scroll through the text instead of exiting the Notes editor.

Yet another simple thing but something that I think would be extremely helpful and make an awesome feature even awesomer (and yes awesomer is a word because I said so).

Thanks.

Edit: This isn't part of this request so don't vote based on what I am about to type (I'd be plenty happy with what I described above) but what would be REALLY could would be if there were a button that you could press that automatically prints the current now time into the take lane notes as the start of the list entries. Then that time turns into a "link" to that point on the Now Time so you can click on the number and the NT automatically jumps to it. That's pretty fancy stuff but maybe in a few years. That would be SUPER useful... for me anyway.
post edited by Beepster - 2015/01/21 13:53:58

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1