Anyone using Win XP mode inside of Win 7 pro or win 8.1 with virtual app?

Author
80ssequencin
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2015/01/19 01:52:08 (permalink)

Anyone using Win XP mode inside of Win 7 pro or win 8.1 with virtual app?

About to install windows and then new DAW content on a recent spec Dell PC. I also want to use XP, hopefully inside of Win 7 (Pro) or 8.1, as I know there will be some old but good soft instruments I may not be able to run anymore. Aside of possible security risks (I haven't had any of note with XP up till now and figure the virtual sandbox will isolate.) But I've read on MS's site that their XP mode inside of 7 may not run everything that standalone XP did. I especially noticed a mention of any programs that make use of external hardware. Anyone have experience with this?  Thanks!

3 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Anyone using Win XP mode inside of Win 7 pro or win 8.1 with virtual app? 2015/01/19 18:33:43 (permalink)
    I have run XP mode under Win 7 because I have an old photo scanner for which no recent driver support is available. So that would be a backward compatible issue. I would not expect newer peripherals whose drivers are not compatible with native Win XP to be able to run them under XP mode, since there is no way to connect to the driver. The virtual machine is pretty much an independent system, it does not use the host system's drivers to interface with the world. 

Whether you will have problems with a particular piece of hardware that ran on native XP using the virtual machine is a question most definitively answered by trying it out. If you have Win 7 Pro, it is pretty simple to set up XP mode, somewhat more complicated to do an XP VM from scratch on Win7 or Win 8.

There is a processing price to pay for a VM, it is generally not going to execute everything as fast as a native OS, and it does not generally allow passing real time data streams between VM and host. So maybe not the best choice for getting use out of an old plugin. You can not install Sonar in Win 7 and  and have it use the XP mode to make the plug work in the Win 7 Sonar. You could install an XP compatible version of Sonar in XP mode, and save a project file created in Xp  mode Sonar to a hard drive and re-open it in Sonar Win 7 though, just as you could if you had two separate machines.
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: Anyone using Win XP mode inside of Win 7 pro or win 8.1 with virtual app? 2015/01/19 21:37:02 (permalink)
    I just did the dual boot system to solve a few issues with XP only stuff I still have. Just a minor inconvenience on boot up to have to chose the OS. I'm so used to it I don't even notice. 
    I posted it on the computer forum My post #15 explains it. I had to use a 3rd party app. EasyBCD. But I'm happy with it and it's always worked. Saves having to keep an old POS computer around just to run XP.  

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Dual-Boot-W-XP-32-W-7-64-it-works-m3114692.aspx

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Anyone using Win XP mode inside of Win 7 pro or win 8.1 with virtual app? 2015/01/24 20:38:14 (permalink)
    80ssequencin
    About to install windows and then new DAW content on a recent spec Dell PC. I also want to use XP, hopefully inside of Win 7 (Pro) or 8.1, as I know there will be some old but good soft instruments I may not be able to run anymore. Aside of possible security risks (I haven't had any of note with XP up till now and figure the virtual sandbox will isolate.) But I've read on MS's site that their XP mode inside of 7 may not run everything that standalone XP did. I especially noticed a mention of any programs that make use of external hardware. Anyone have experience with this?  Thanks!

Virtual XP will have high latency. Dual boot.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1