Helpful ReplyStay ignorant

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2015/01/24 12:32:33 (permalink)

Stay ignorant

It has lately come to my attention that my most recent tracks I've been TRYING to put together absolutely suck.
I actually attribute this to having learned so much in comparison to when I was a simple high school sophomore just dipping my toes in music production...

But now I use compressors, I use EQ, and I simply can't find or make those key sounds, chords, progressions, tones, and whatever else, the way I could back then.

I can't make MUSIC anymore. I can't mix well, I can't write meaningful songs, and I don't get my own ideas.
Everything is so convoluted and NOTHING has helped change things back.

Maybe I peaked too early. Maybe I've run out of the really good ideas. Maybe my mind is so full of production that it's in the way of making things. (Maybe I'm digging for sympathy!)

I actually wish I could've stayed ignorant.

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/24 13:09:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2015/01/24 15:04:01
I'm 42, I've been writing music for the biggest part of my life, and I've also experienced my fair share of uninspired phases, a few of them which seemed to be the result of too much self-consciousness.

The good thing is that eventually, one outgrows self-consciousness. One day you realize that you're actually writing, playing and having fun again. 

Artists DO need a bit of ignorance. I mean, how else would one dare put lyrics down on paper for posterity after reading Shakespeare or Baudelaire... How does one even dare pretend to write music after hearing something like Bach's St. Matthew Passion?

But making music is expressing oneself, and that need to express oneself has a way of taking precedence over all the rest and make one forget about everything that could get in the way.

So don't despair. Just keep at it. :)

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/24 15:44:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2015/01/25 12:02:24
Go back to basics.  Just worry about one phase at a time.  When you're writing lyrics, don't think about how you are going to record the song, or mix it.  When you are recording, set aside writing and mixing, etc.

Try to go back to mixing without using *all* the plug-ins.  Limit yourself to one or two.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/24 16:00:58 (permalink)
I agree with both comments above. 
When you get into a funk, try to write a song that you know is going to suck. I mean just do it as fast as you can with at least some attention to detail.  Write the melody fast, write the lyrics fast, mix it fast.  Then give it a day and see what you have.
There have been so many times I can't count where I started testing a plugin or jamming and I just let it all happen without any regard for the end product.  What I get is something half way decent. 

So don't take anything serious and just go for it. Finish it and post it. I bet there will be others that like it and/or give you good tips to make it better. 

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
jmasno5
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/24 16:35:58 (permalink)
If you're creative guy getting into a writing funk is unavoidable. I've accepted the fact that it happens and I will eventually find my way out. I guess because we're always trying to better ourselves, our music, writing, mixing, whatever, we put some pressure on ourselves. One of the things I do is to dive into the hundreds of idea snippits I have recorded over the years. There all over the place. On my phone, handheld recorder, cassettes... Usually, I find an idea in the haystack that I have long forgot about and it will spark creativeness again.
The main thing, for me, is that it has to sound good my acoustic and nothing else. I never think, "well, this part will be saved, or sound good when I mix it." Good luck. You will find your way out. "You will find your way out" I think there is a song in there...

John Masarone - J Mas No. 5
jmasno5.com
broadjam.com/jmasno5
masarone.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud Set List
Intel i5, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64bit, Scarlett 18i20
Sonar Home Studio 4 & 7, Studio 8.5, Producer X1, X2, X3, Platinum and now... Cakewalk by BL and Studio One!
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/24 17:58:47 (permalink)
This makes me curious... How long can a creative funk last??? I'm doing fine with creating jazz and orchestral music, but I'm not sure what the missing piece is that will revive my desire to create things.

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
Godling
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/24 19:28:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2015/01/28 14:09:40
/existential
Consider all of the things you do to the music in Sonar, as layers of clothing that are weighing you down. Perhaps it's time to strip naked and dance around the fire?
Rain
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/24 19:35:27 (permalink)
davdud101
This makes me curious... How long can a creative funk last??? 

You don't want to know just how horribly long, trust me... ;)

When going through a dry spell, I usually go through the dozens of bits of unfinished music on my hard drive to stay busy and keep me in the mood and/or try to write something very specific, as an exercise. This could be anything - a pastiche, a song in the genre of this or that guy, a study, or maybe there's some kind of chord progression or shift in tonality that I want to try and understand, so I'll try and work on a piece like that. 

None of that stuff is inspired, but more often than not, I suddenly realize that I'm back at work on something that is. Not too long ago, a fellow forum member reminded me of something Picasso used to say: Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.

rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/24 21:39:36 (permalink)
You are probably trying to put large logs on a dying fire.  When the inspiration dies out, it needs to be fueled with small, insignificant projects.  Write a jingle, a melody or a meaningless song.  Just make sure you complete it and do it regularly.  It is what all composers are taught and it works.  Once you get the fire burning hot again, use it to write better music you can be proud of.  

To paraphrase Virgil Thompson.  It is important to keep regular appointments with "the Muse,"  if it fails to come, it isn't your fault, at least YOU were there and YOU were ready.

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/25 11:47:12 (permalink)
This happened to me after extended periods of learning theory and then again as I started getting into "proper" recording concepts.

It may SEEM like you've lost that old touch or inspiration but really you just need to let the new concepts settle in and take hold. The theory stuff for me made me feel like I knew it all and was just repeating the same crap over and over (and I kind of was) but slowly over time the stuff I started really twisting the stuff I had learned into all sorts of crazy ways. It made my old hack stuff that was original and cool all of a sudden much easier to write/understand and perform and I was able to really expand on my style.

As far as engineering, for the past few years all I've been doing is learning abotu production concepts and I've barely gotten anything recorded/mixed when before I did not know a damned thing and manage to put together a full album, an EP, some singles and a bunch of other stuff. Seemed I was WAY more productive before and back then it seemed like I was doing a really good job (everybody liked my mixes and I even got some stuff on the radio and got offered free mastering of the full album by a BIG name mastering dude because he liked it so much). In the past few years I've only put together a couple completed tracks and honestly didn't think I did such a great job (and really that stuff could have been much better). So WTF? What went wrong? Where is my productivity and skill from before?

Well I've gone back and listend to some of my earlier work and it is TERRIBLE in comparison to what I've been doing lately. So I've made massive advancements with my engineering skills but it is hard to see the forest for the trees when you've got chimpunks trying to crawl up your butt. Now I'm getting a LOT faster and more inspired with my engineering/production stuff so just like with the theory stuff this is starting to really pay off. I'm not completely lost as to what to do all the time and I can make calculate/educated decisions instead of just guessing and hacking away HOPING I may stumble across the sound I want.

Now I just need to DO it... over and over again. My frustration and self doubt are fading away and that confidence is starting to show through in my work. I'm certainly still a loooooong way off from where I'd like to be but I can see the path getting clearer.

So seriously don't give up. Maybe take a break to avoid burnout but you've expanded your skills and that will ALWAYS benefit your end product.

Cheers and good luck.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/25 12:17:19 (permalink)
I can understand the OP, as the technology to enable mixing can easily detract from the focus on underlying content. Without content there is nothing to mix, yet being near a computer can be distracting as the focus becomes the "end product" rather than a "rough draft." I used to teach college English and always advised students to finish a draft before ever getting into "editing loops" (if you keep editing chapter one, you can never finish a book). Ironically, I catch myself falling into this cycle at times as well, so I consciously force myself to break from the temptation of editing and be forced only to draft... being a guitarist/vocalist primarily, this manifests itself when I grab an acoustic guitar and get FAR away from the computer. There I can only play; and if something arises from that, only then will I come back to the computer and commit it to a track. Even then, it can get tricky to further develop an idea and not get caught up in "edit mode."

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/25 14:46:02 (permalink)
From what I heard music making supposed to be fun...Worrying about each process to me is not fun. Worrying about where everything goes should over time become natural and instinctive rather than formula based. Yes you want it to flow but over thinking is not good. I think the older we get and we want our music to go somewhere we start to analyse everything and our youthful passion turns into meticulous analyzing.

Sonar X series 
https://youtu.be/9YNplnhTAZY Steal My Girl
 https://youtu.be/A0VPi_UZmLo Moon & Stars

KRK VXT6 Studio One 3  Main: SPLAT for Lifetime: Formerly known as...
Nothing beats the best!
Beepster
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/25 15:12:19 (permalink)
dappa1
From what I heard music making supposed to be fun...Worrying about each process to me is not fun. Worrying about where everything goes should over time become natural and instinctive rather than formula based. Yes you want it to flow but over thinking is not good. I think the older we get and we want our music to go somewhere we start to analyse everything and our youthful passion turns into meticulous analyzing.

For a hobbiest sure and that is where most people should set their goals because it is a lot less painful and you'll be a lot less poor. But as soon as you start aspiring to be a pro and/or you have this crazy obsessive fire in your belly that will not be quenched by anything else then prepare to be miserable. I love music, I have "fun" when I'm actually just playing my guit but if I didn't have this obsession my life would likely be a lot less fracked up and maybe I'd be able to experience happiness like a normal person.

Unfortunately art thrives where suffering lives. At least in the past 50-60 years us musicians get a lot more respect from society than in the past where musicians, actors and the arts in general were considered to be the purvey of the low class untouchables and only there to serve and amuse the whims of opulence.

It's still a pain in the crotch to feed that desperate belly fire though but I cannot imagine living any other way or for any other reason.

Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/25 15:25:35 (permalink)
I know and feel that desperate belly fire too well. Interesting metaphor. I like it.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
Beepster
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/25 16:04:35 (permalink)
Rimshot
I know and feel that desperate belly fire too well. Interesting metaphor. I like it.

It is quite literally a physical manifestation for me and I've been describing it that way for many years now. A lot of it came from actual hunger (as in not eating even when there was food around because I was too obsessed with what I was doing), saucing myself with beer and liquor to get through gigs and actual gastro-intestinal issues (probably brought on from alcoholism and not eating properly but even as a kid I had bad guts). However there is definitely a musical "stress" element to it. Playing a good gig where everyone was ripping each other to shreds in the pit or singing and stomping along to some ridiculous shanty released it. Nailing a solo or writing a slick riff and now dialing in a tone on the DAW is like a slug of pepto hitting my guts and cooling it off a little bit. There's also the cerebral effect like taking a huge bong hit except without the disorientation and stupidity or some kind of brain orgasm.

I can't physically or mentally handle booze or recreational drugs anymore nor can I even really afford them so that little endorphin release of just nailing something has become an even more powerful motivator. I also can't stomp stages anymore so trying to duplicate that sitting in a dark room all by my lonesome makes chasing the musical dragon even more challenging... but chase it I will and I still, occasionally, give that ole belly fire a good douse of flame ****ant and it still feels damned good when I do. When I fail... I break but I'm getting better at shaking it off and plodding on. In fact this forum is useful for that because almost no matter what the problem is you guys point me to a decent, workable solution. Hope is never lost for very long with friends like that.

Cheers.
wizard71
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/25 17:07:36 (permalink)
The more you think, the more you stink.
At least that's my experience. Because you are always looking to write a song better than the last one you end up mentally with nowhere to go and can creatively fall apart.
It's harder as you get older to write with the innocent freedom of youth and the attitude that goes with it so you have to adapt and write in a different way purely because life has thrown so much at you, you have different thought processes. But ultimately your natural music instincts are still there, you just have to find and use them again instead of your accumulated technical skills which can easily override the creative process if allowed.
I think the modern DAW can be a hindrance because the very nature of it almost asks you to produce the song as you compose it. Personally I am trying hard to put that in its rightful place and use it only after I have written the music.
I'm sure you mojo will return, you just gotta let it.

Bibs

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/25 17:30:56 (permalink)
I've been chasing my tail on arrangements and mixes of late and kind of feel the same way. Why is it taking me 6 months to finish this one song etc? How come I get it sounding great one night and then listen to it the next day and it sounds crap? Why can't I figure out where this arrangement is going? Why can't I figure out how to connect part A with part B? And then last night I listened to a couple of tracks I made very quickly (about a week each) when I first started out with DAW's, and I was actually very surprised at how good they sounded. Of course I'd want to go back and tweak them with my new found knowledge because I didn't know jack about mixing back then, but it's amazing how decent they sound and how quickly I was able to get those arrangements together without even worrying about it.

A lot of it comes down to the fact that as you become more knowledgeable, your standards and expectations increase. You've likely sat through a ton of professional tutorials since then, and you're also listening to commercial music and noticing just how great those mixes are. So now, nothing less than commercial quality will satisfy you.

I know it's psychologically hard, but sometimes you just have to accept that you need to get songs finished even if they're not perfect. You can always come back to them later. The point is that for every song you actually finish, you've learned a little more about arranging and mixing and the next song is going to be better.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
rontarrant
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 643
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/25 17:42:23 (permalink)
What gets me is when I watch a tutorial on drums, they play the 'before' and 'after' and I can't tell the difference.

-Ron T.
----------------------------------------------------------
MSI GE72 2QF-247US, 12 gb, Focusrite 6i6, AT-2020
Windows 10 x64, Sonar Platinum
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/25 17:49:13 (permalink)
wizard71
The more you think, the more you stink.
At least that's my experience. Because you are always looking to write a song better than the last one you end up mentally with nowhere to go and can creatively fall apart.

This is interesting.  I like the nowhere-to-go aspect.  There's nowhere to go because it's the wrong path.  It's crazy to treat songwriting like some sort of competition.  I've been hearing some pretty funny monologues lately having to do with the life some of us have gotten ourselves into in which the quality of our actions is measured by the number of Likes they generate.  A competition you can't win because you're competing with yourself.

David, I don't know if you rely on music to eat which makes things a bit more urgent but if not, just make music because it's in you and wants to get out.  The music, not your skills at production.

Yesterday I was blown away by Bob Marley's Redemption Song which I heard for the first time.  I've never much liked Marley, but this song...  Just one voice and one guitar.  The production was pretty good too, but the song would have been great recorded on a cassette recorder.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
rontarrant
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 643
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/26 02:57:58 (permalink)
Paul P
Yesterday I was blown away by Bob Marley's Redemption Song which I heard for the first time.  I've never much liked Marley, but this song...  Just one voice and one guitar.  The production was pretty good too, but the song would have been great recorded on a cassette recorder.

Years ago, I tried to convince a friend (who's a filmmaker) that he should just make the stories he wants to make using what he has available instead of waiting until he's got the perfect gear. He didn't, and he still isn't where he wants to be, career-wise. I often wonder if things would have been different for him if he'd just gone for the brass ring without worrying about so-called production value.

-Ron T.
MSI GE72 2QF-247US, 12 gb, Focusrite 6i6, AT-2020
Windows 10 x64, Sonar Platinum
Rain
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/01/26 03:22:26 (permalink)
rontarrant
Years ago, I tried to convince a friend (who's a filmmaker) that he should just make the stories he wants to make using what he has available instead of waiting until he's got the perfect gear. He didn't, and he still isn't where he wants to be, career-wise. I often wonder if things would have been different for him if he'd just gone for the brass ring without worrying about so-called production value.

I think that when you really hit that thing inside of you that wants to come out, you'll use whatever. Some of the most inspired material I've written was recorded on 2 track tape or on crappy computers, using only stock sounds and plug-ins. You just get so focused on what you're after that the means almost become incidental. 

jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/02/02 23:00:48 (permalink)
There's an old saying that goes "Art suffers from a lack of stimulation".  Are you doing/seeing/listening/reading/watching things that inspire you?  That may help you.

Not to get too over therapeutic, but it sounds like you may have a bit of ennui as well.  When we are teenagers everything is new and exciting.  As we age existential angst begins to creep into our lives (especially in the early 30's) and life begins to feel dull and uninteresting.  This is sometimes called a "mid-life crisis" (to read a first hand account check out the book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible: the person that wrote that is in absolute misery!) .  It's a painful, but it will end.  Give yourself some time.  Keep playing your music.  Your heart for it will return.

I wish you the very best.
Mark Bliss
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/02/07 09:30:37 (permalink)
Seems to me you have discovered why MOST artists make poor producers and vice versa. 
Perhaps you could stick to the facet that inspires you, and don't fret over the details of the rest of the minutia. Quit trying to "do it all" maybe.
I had more wise words but I am distracted by the chipmunks.
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/02/07 11:09:46 (permalink)
Rain

that need to express oneself has a way of taking precedence over all the rest and make one forget about everything that could get in the way.

+1

Rush said it best "Put aside the alienation, get on with the fascination, the real relation, the underlying need."

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/02/07 14:44:15 (permalink)
davdud101
It has lately come to my attention that my most recent tracks I've been TRYING to put together absolutely suck.
I actually attribute this to having learned so much in comparison to when I was a simple high school sophomore just dipping my toes in music production...

But now I use compressors, I use EQ, and I simply can't find or make those key sounds, chords, progressions, tones, and whatever else, the way I could back then.

I can't make MUSIC anymore. I can't mix well, I can't write meaningful songs, and I don't get my own ideas.
Everything is so convoluted and NOTHING has helped change things back.

Maybe I peaked too early. Maybe I've run out of the really good ideas. Maybe my mind is so full of production that it's in the way of making things. (Maybe I'm digging for sympathy!)

I actually wish I could've stayed ignorant.

It's common to feel the way you do. I'm actually in the same boat as you but in another area. I was VERY creative on guitar at one point when I knew 0 theory. The more theory I learned, the more it made me look at things deeper instead of being ignorant and experimenting with things that didn't make sense. One can say "theory will work depending on how you use it" but to me, it's made me chain things together and sometimes think in a technical box.

Years ago I'd experiment not knowing what I was doing and I came up with some very interesting things. So interesting, I feel safe saying "almost innovative and new". The more I learned, the more I knew what was behind the doors so to speak. When I didn't know anything, it took me longer to get to what was behind the doors and sometimes there was a bit more dirt under my finger nails....but the uniqueness made it impressive in a way I can't quite capture now....unless of course I were to grab a little happy smoke. LOL! That was another really cool experience....a light buzz to allow my mind to roam wherver it wanted to go. I've probably not written a good song since I stopped doing that. LOL!! Just kidding....I'm not trying to condone any mind altering substances....but I must admit, a little of that along with being ignorant really made for some killer ideas! (just being honest)

I'll tell you what I think your problem *could* be. Though the technology out there today is great, I sincerely feel no one is learning anything the right way. Just about all the things out there don't show you how to handle YOUR sounds on YOUR gear. They just keep on teaching techniques until everybody thinks they know everything and are good at this, yet they are missing the big picture.....

Their tones sucked years ago too. Their writing may have been better or different, but it's rare you go backwards with sound creation unless you are allowing the new technology to overpower your actual production values or you have a lack or resources or decent gear. I have friends that have a zillion plugins because they have the money to buy them. Ask them how to use them, they look at you like a deer in headlights. Seriously....everyone moves on way too fast without understanding what is supposed to happen in this field. Sound creation doesn't mean grabbing presets that some joker included in a program. (I know you know this)

They need to be eq'd and controlled to work in a mix. The only thing you *may* get away with preset wise is drum sounds with a good module. Rest assured you can get a decent drum tone without touching a thing using AD or EZD right out of the box. The simplification process that these companies have given us is our demise. Seriously. Think about it for a second. All the people that use presets or modules....what happens when you have to mic an amp, a drum kit or some sort of wind instrument? Right, you run into things you wouldn't nornally run into using modules. However, this is how you learn. Nothing is done for you. You are forced to create. With creation comes knowledge, skill and good old trial and error experience.

The more technology that gets sent down the pipeline (like useless sidechaining and limiting tricks all over to people that can't even record or mix properly let alone throw stuff like this in a mix) the crappier your mixes will sound. Granted, the above tricks can be useful....but most people over-use them, use them too soon or use them improperly to the point of coming up with a terrible mix or something that sounds so synthetic, it no longer sounds musical.

I'll put it this way....if you can't present an audible mix without anything going on (light compression and eq acceptable) you need to take 1000 steps back and forget what you know and start over. I can seriously post a mix of something totally stripped down that will still have some value. The value comes from how well the instruments are printed. Your instrumentation should stand on its own without anything supporting it like a crutch. I don't need compression to make a mix cohesive. I don't need any special effects to glue the mix together.....but if I use them, the special effects will enhance what is already there.

Picture doing what I'm doing in my control room right now. I've rebuilt it totally from the concrete footing on up. We're doing textured walls that will have a stone look when it's done. The main color in my room is equal to me giving you a mix of raw instruments. That main color on my walls runs the show the same as my instruments and performance will run the show. Anything else I do to my room will enhance it. A bad choice (bright orange say) on the main color is a bad choice for a studio control room in my opinion the same as bad instrumentation would be in a mix. A bad sketch usually doesn't turn out to be a masterpiece. However, a bad sketch can turn into a GREAT sketch if you fix the things that are wrong with the bad sketch. :)

Next....and I hope no one takes this the wrong way, then again it IS a true reason people can lose their way.

A bad arrangment or performance is also a thorn in your side. Garbage in, garbage out is so true, it can be demoralizing if a person falls in this category and doesn't realize it. Sort of like an alcoholic that is in denial. There are a few people on this forum that think they have this production thing down to the point of trying to teach others what they think is good information. 

What they should really do is go back to the drawing board and others should tell them they need help/work instead of sucking up to them. It only allows more pollution to the forum as well as misleading and damaging the learning process for others. Granted, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But just because someone knows a few techniques doesn't make them good at this nor an authority to possibly lead someone astray. ALWAYS consider the sources you listen to and make sure they walk the walk as well as talk it. That goes for me too. Don't listen to a single thing I say or ever read a post of mine if you have heard some of my productions and you think they suck. You are only as good as the advice/teachings you ingest. Remember that.

As for inspiration, take a break for a while to the point where you can't wait to do something musical. Learn how to really play an instrument to the point of getting lessons. Learning how to play over hacking at it will inspire you in ways you can't imagine. Listen to a different style of music that you may not listen to often or ever. And lastly, use your life experience. Nothing tells a better musical story than the life you live. A few suggestions off the top of my head.

Try a change of location....take a guitar to the park or near a babbling brook or creek. There are so many things right in front of you to inspire you...it's kinda scary when you really dig deep. Think how gifted you are to have a little studio with gear and how some people will never have what you have. Think of the happiest time in your life.....think of the worst time in your life.....just some food for thought. :) If nothing works or your find yourself frustrated, go fishing, play Xbox 360, hang with friends, work out, change things up and live life a bit. Though music is great and we love it/need it like a drug, sometimes we coop ourselves up for too long and life passes us right on by. Go out and smell the roses...live a little and allow life to write and inspire you automatically. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/02/07 23:20:03 (permalink)
I can identify with the OP.

Try something different, a different instrument or a different genre. I like to get away from the technology and just play around with my Mountain Dulcimer and "penny" whistle for a while. Sometimes ideas emerge, sometime it just reboots your mind and when you come back to your production things are a little clearer.

Collaberation may help. Bouncing ideas off someone else, even arguing about the way the track should go.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/02/08 02:14:19 (permalink)
Danny Danzi

It's common to feel the way you do. I'm actually in the same boat as you but in another area. I was VERY creative on guitar at one point when I knew 0 theory. The more theory I learned, the more it made me look at things deeper instead of being ignorant and experimenting with things that didn't make sense. One can say "theory will work depending on how you use it" but to me, it's made me chain things together and sometimes think in a technical box.

This is so true...I know my guitar fretboard inside and out and I know all about chord construction, substitution, voice leading, scales and arpeggios. I know about about cycles of fifths and modulation and such like. I can see it all on the guitar as shapes. And it's great knowing this stuff, only a lot of the time I find myself thinking about it too much when I have a guitar in my hand. It can really kill the creative process. On the other hand, I'm completely clueless when it comes to keyboards and just thinking about notes in my head. I don't have that down at all, so when I play with a keyboard I'm literally just feeling out sounds without even thinking about any theory. The creative process feels a lot more natural when I'm not thinking about it and I've come up with chord and melody ideas at the keyboard that I never would have come up with on guitar in a million years. The same is true with the piano roll in Sonar. When I'm drawing notes on screen it doesn't even register what they are. I just draw them and move them around and drag them out, all by ear. Some of the chord moves I come up with like this are very sophisticated when I eventually sit down and work out what they are (usually because I want to add a guitar part and feel it would be helpful if I knew what key it was in, lol). Lots of sus2's and sus7ths and quartal harmony and key modulations that I would have never thought of otherwise - I mean I know all of these chords on guitar but it feels like when I incorporate them into my guitar playing, I do so because I'm trying to be clever and it sounds forced. Whereas when I've felt those chords out by ear in the piano roll, I'm using them because I genuinely feel like they work for the song even though I'm not thinking about their names. I'm working on a MIDI based track right now and I swear I could not even tell you what key it's in, and I don't even care!

Danny DanziYears ago I'd experiment not knowing what I was doing and I came up with some very interesting things. So interesting, I feel safe saying "almost innovative and new". The more I learned, the more I knew what was behind the doors so to speak. When I didn't know anything, it took me longer to get to what was behind the doors and sometimes there was a bit more dirt under my finger nails....but the uniqueness made it impressive in a way I can't quite capture now....unless of course I were to grab a little happy smoke. LOL! That was another really cool experience....a light buzz to allow my mind to roam wherver it wanted to go. I've probably not written a good song since I stopped doing that. LOL!! Just kidding....I'm not trying to condone any mind altering substances....but I must admit, a little of that along with being ignorant really made for some killer ideas! (just being honest)

Let's face it, there's no denying the creative benefits. I'm not condoning it either because it's so easy for that stuff to become a big part of your daily routine to the point where you can't face a day without it. I stopped a few years ago but still indulge a couple times a year on special occasions, and I immediately get sucked into an awesome creative dimension with my music. I think it just frees up your musical inhibitions and facilitates the channeling of pure creativity. However it's definitely not a long term solution for anything...if it was, I'd be at the stuff every day 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/02/14 16:52:52 (permalink)
beepster
musicians, actors and the arts in general were considered to be the purvey of the low class untouchables and only there to serve and amuse the whims of opulence.

I knew it!

Rimshot

It's called indigestion. And I don't like it one bit.
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/02/15 08:30:32 (permalink)
Good advice from lots of folks.... I wouldn't say "stay ignorant" but I would say shift your focus for a while......

When I mix and things get off course and the mix really starts to become intolerable.... there's only one course of action.....

Start over. 

Remove all the plugs and envelopes and listen to the tracks again. Start building.

This applies to any and all situations where things have gotten out of hand or off track or seem to be lacking that professional touch or inspiration.  In martial arts, as one progresses up the black belt ranks, one tends to plateau from time to time. Mainly because you're not really learning a lot of new stuff like you did in the rainbow ranks.... you're simply refining and perfecting things. When this happened to me, the advice I was given was..... train the basics. Everything else will work itself out naturally.

Go back to square one. The Basics.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: Stay ignorant 2015/02/15 12:37:25 (permalink)
This is a great thread. I hope it helps the original poster. I know it has helped me to hear how many of you go through the same difficulties as I do. My songwriting has diminished almost to nothing in recent years, and this leads directly to self doubt: Maybe I'm not as talented as I thought I was. It's good to know others have found various paths out of the darkness.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1