Four key commands worth stealing from Pro Tools

Author
Dave Modisette
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11050
2015/01/25 20:04:13 (permalink)
4.94 (17)

Four key commands worth stealing from Pro Tools

Trim to Start:  Place your cursor at a point within an audio clip.  Press a hot key and it trims the data from the start of the clip to where your cursor is.

Trim to End:  Place your cursor at a point within an audio clip.  Press a hot key and it trims the data from the end of the clip to where your cursor is.

Fade From Start:  Place your cursor at a point within an audio clip.  Press a hot key and it fades (in) the audio from the beginning of the clip to where your cursor is.  You can pre-select your preference of fade curve.

Fade To End:  Place your cursor at a point within an audio clip.  Press a hot key and it fades (out) the audio from the end of the clip to where your cursor is.  You can pre-select your preference of fade curve.

SONAR uses a click and drag operation and that is good as well but the key commands are much faster because you don't have to hover until an icon appears and lets you know you have engaged the SONAR editing command.
post edited by Dave Modisette - 2015/04/04 11:26:28

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 

8 Replies Related Threads

Dave Modisette
    Re: Four key commands worth stealing from Pro Tools 2015/04/04 11:25:54 (permalink)
    This is related to my recent post about duplicating the same commands by creating CAL programs to do these tasks.

My music.
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Four key commands worth stealing from Pro Tools 2015/04/08 09:20:32 (permalink)
    Interesting idea. Sometimes I accidentally slip edit or fade all clips rather than just the one I newly bounced because of current selection.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Four key commands worth stealing from Pro Tools 2015/04/08 09:33:47 (permalink)
    Great ideas Dave.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: Four key commands worth stealing from Pro Tools 2015/04/08 14:35:57 (permalink)
    Dave Modisette
    Trim to Start:  Place your cursor at a point within an audio clip.  Press a hot key and it trims the data from the start of the clip to where your cursor is.

Trim to End:  Place your cursor at a point within an audio clip.  Press a hot key and it trims the data from the end of the clip to where your cursor is.

Fade From Start:  Place your cursor at a point within an audio clip.  Press a hot key and it fades (in) the audio from the beginning of the clip to where your cursor is.  You can pre-select your preference of fade curve.

Fade To End:  Place your cursor at a point within an audio clip.  Press a hot key and it fades (out) the audio from the end of the clip to where your cursor is.  You can pre-select your preference of fade curve.

SONAR uses a click and drag operation and that is good as well but the key commands are much faster because you don't have to hover until an icon appears and lets you know you have engaged the SONAR editing command.

ASDF isn't? :) It's been a while, but I remember watching a tutorial about those focused one key shortcut and was amazed at how it potentially changed everything about PT...

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Dave Modisette
    Re: Four key commands worth stealing from Pro Tools 2015/12/26 13:33:30 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I'm bumping this one because improvements in editing speed are never a waste of time even if they aren't as cute as one knob plugins.

My music.
    jpetersen
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1499
    Re: Four key commands worth stealing from Pro Tools 2016/01/03 16:04:54 (permalink)
    Isn't Fade In/Out covered already? Not sure a hotkey requiring length/curve pre-configuration will make me any more productive.

I like trim to start. No obvious way to do this at all in Sonar, hotkey or no hotkey.
    Dave Modisette
    Re: Four key commands worth stealing from Pro Tools 2016/06/07 10:49:58 (permalink)
    Still waiting to see if this ever gets implemented.

My music.
    kresbeatz
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: Four key commands worth stealing from Pro Tools 2016/06/17 19:03:19 (permalink)
    This is the most often usable key commands in PT by me, so definitely worth add it to SONAR.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1