live Audio Latency

Author
dredshred
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2015/01/23 17:17:14 (permalink)

live Audio Latency

Hi is there any way to reduce the latency when using peavey revalver the lowest it will go in the audio control panel is 30ms i have previously used it as a standalone with only 10 ms latency with a ASIO driver i am having to use mme as i have not managed to get it to work when selecting the asio driver 30ms latency is just not good enough it is throwing my timing out when playing live instrument 

13 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: live Audio Latency 2015/01/24 00:03:38 (permalink)
    You're right, 30ms is too high to work with playing live.
     The question is really not about Revalver, or even Music Creator.
    It is about your sound card.
    When you used the ASIO driver, was it on this same computer? Was it ASIO4All?
    Or was it on a different computer?
    Are you using the built-in sound card, or an interface?
    MC can only use the ASIO selection if a valid ASIO driver is present. Usually, this is a dedicated driver for an interface, but ASIO4All can often help with a stock sound card.
    MME is really intended for playback, and is not suited for real-time.
    A dedicated interface is the best solution, and is the key to making your system sing.
    Tell us what you have to work with.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    dredshred
    Re: live Audio Latency 2015/01/24 04:27:52 (permalink)
    Hi firstly all the help i am receiving is greatly appreciated i am old school analogue knobs and sliders this computer malarky is doing my head in ,i am running the software from a lenovo G505S AMD A10 elite quad core  win 8.1 3.5ghz  8gb ddr3 stock conexant HD audio soundcard 24 bit 192000 khz  creative t20 gigaworks  have just noticed that i have set it to 44000 but in 24 bit should i select 16 bit i am using a rocksmith 2014 usb cable to route my guitar into music creator but do have a u control uca222 dac box that came with my bellringer umx610 keyboard but that only has stereo RCA conectors i could rig up a 6.35 mono jack to stereo RCA but is sounds like i may need a higher end interface for this i have been using ASIO 4all for some time and am proficient in setting this up but in stand alone applications 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: live Audio Latency 2015/01/24 09:53:46 (permalink)
    The settings you mentioned.... bit depth and resolution..... 44.1/16 or 44.1/24 won't make a difference.  Either one of those settings is fine.... with 44.1/24 preferred.

Robert nailed it.  The creative card and the rocksmith usb cable are not the gear you need.

The software works best with a dedicated USB connected musical interface running the real ASIO drivers.   Wrappers and codecs and other things just don't get the job done correctly...and that means with low latency for midi and FX that need to run in real time.

Get an interface that uses native ASIO and the difference is like day and night.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    dredshred
    Re: live Audio Latency 2015/01/24 10:03:05 (permalink)
    Any recomendations on a reasonably priced interface 
    RobertB
    Re: live Audio Latency 2015/01/25 00:22:35 (permalink)
    Well, reasonably priced is relative, but I would look in the $200-$250 range. These will generally have a good feature set. Above this, you see huge jumps in price. Below that, you roll the dice.
    I love my AkaiEIE Pro, and always recommend you include that in your search. Focusrite is popular, as well as a few others. You really can't go wrong with any of them(at that price point), but some may have unique features that appeal to you. Check out Sweetwater, Zzounds and Musicians Friend.
    I rely on amp sims and soft synths, and decent low latency performance is vital. A proper interface is a key component in your DAW system.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    dredshred
    Re: live Audio Latency 2015/01/25 04:54:22 (permalink)
    Hi thanks for the recommendations  on audio interfaces i will most likely have to buy a secondhand hand unit of ebay there are plenty to choose from there is a Apogee GiO AD/DA Guitar interface that looks quite interesting as dedicated   controller for the guitar vst/s and a couple of Lexicon Lambda 24bit usb interface there about £30 on ebay which would get me up and running till i can afford something more high end i appreciate that my system performance will be dictated by the weakest link in the system 

Mouse over image to zoom

• Have one to sell? Sell it yourself

Apogee GiO AD/DA Guitar interface
    dredshred
    Re: live Audio Latency 2015/01/25 04:54:22 (permalink)
    Hi thanks for the recommendations  on audio interfaces i will most likely have to buy a secondhand hand unit of ebay there are plenty to choose from there is a Apogee GiO AD/DA Guitar interface that looks quite interesting as dedicated   controller for the guitar vst/s and a couple of Lexicon Lambda 24bit usb interface there about £30 on ebay which would get me up and running till i can afford something more high end i appreciate that my system performance will be dictated by the weakest link in the system 

Mouse over image to zoom

• Have one to sell? Sell it yourself

Apogee GiO AD/DA Guitar interface
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: live Audio Latency 2015/01/25 08:16:13 (permalink)
    I want to mention one other thing you will want to look at.

You indicated that you are running all of this on a lenovo G505S, which is a laptop.  (obviously YOU know that) :)

The thing with laptops is that many times the Wi-Fi drivers on laptops can cause massive DPC latency spikes, which interfere greatly with applications that use streaming audio, such as Sonar.

The fix for this issue is to get the WI-Fi adapter turned off or disabled just prior to launching Sonar, then turning it back on or enabling it again.

To do so, look to see if there is an actual little switch on the laptop case somewhere that will allow you to simply switch it off.  If no such switch exists, look to see if there is a Function Key on one of the keys of the laptop that will also switch the Wi-Fi adapter on/off.  (it would likely look like a little tiny radio tower with little half-moon circles to represent radio waves).  If no such Function Key exists, no problem, it just means you have to go into Windows Device Manager and once there simply disable/enable the Wi-Fi adapter.  There are multiple ways to get to Windows Device Manager - one way in Windows 8 or 8.1 is to hit the Windows button on your laptop keyboard, then simply type in the words: Device Manager.  Windows will search for it and display the results, which will have a launch button for it.

Once in Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, and you should see your Wi-Fi adapter listed there.  Right-click on the Wi-Fi Adapter, and click on Disable or Enable to turn it off or on.

So the sequence of steps for dealing with a Wi-Fi-adapter would be:

1. Turn off or disable Wi-Fi-adapter just prior to launching Sonar
    2.  Launch Sonar and create a masterpiece.
    3.  When finished with Sonar and it is closed, turn Wi-Fi adapter back on or enable it, to regain use of it.

All of the above is in addition to recommending you pick up a dedicated audio interface.

Sonar is a powerful program, but it performance is greatly impacted both by unneeded DPC latency and by having the CPU have to shoulder all the work of conversion of digital files to analog signal, or analog signal into digital data.

A dedicated audio interface and its drivers take over all the work of the analog and digital conversion, and is pretty much a basic needed component of any recording setup, even if it is just you in your living room.

A basic but decent audio interface with 2 inputs and outputs, phantom power, and midi ports, can run in the neighborhood of $125 - $200.  The more inputs and outputs, or other features, the higher the cost, with some running well over $500.  I happen to have a Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL, and it has 8 inputs and outputs, and runs about $500.  But if I didn't need all of those inputs, I just as easily could have bought one of their smaller units for about $150, and it would have worked just fine.

Lots of folks in the forums have and like units from Focusrite, or Presonus, and there are others that work well too.  You want to make sure the one you get has enough inputs and outputs for your needs, phantom power (if you have mics that need it), and midi ports (again, only if you need them).  If a device HAS features you don't need that's fine they will just sit there, so as long as your feature needs are met, and the cost is within your budget, go for it.  One more important thing is to make sure that the interface you pick up has drivers that are available for Windows 8 or 8.1, as you are running 8.1 - check the manufacturer's web site prior to purchase to make sure those drivers are OK, and you also might want to post to this forum any interface you are considering, to get some feedback from forum members on that specific device.

I hope some of the above is helpful, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: live Audio Latency 2015/01/25 08:52:00 (permalink)
    A caution: a lot of interfaces for sale on the web are there because the sellers upgraded their systems and the interface is no longer compatible with their OS. So, before buying any used gear, make sure it has drivers for Win 8. Check the manufacturers's web sites.

Doh! Didn't read the last chapter of the book above.  Mr. Bone already mentioned that.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: live Audio Latency 2015/01/25 09:00:43 (permalink)
    Good advice ^^^^  be aware of what you're buying when you buy in the second hard market. 

I have had good experiences in buying used musical gear, for the most part, but with software based gear, be sure, 100% sure it's compatible with your current rig.

You can find some audio interfaces under $200. If the midi gear you own uses USB, you don't need the interface to have Midi capability. The software recognizes the inputs, and the interface works the audio like it's supposed to do and life will be good.

One thing I always say about interfaces is this: It is the heart of your home studio. So, save a few dollars more if the interface you want and need, to do what you do, costs more than you have in the budget now, rather than buying something less than what you want and ending up having to replace it up the road.  Does that make sense?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    dredshred
    Re: live Audio Latency 2015/01/25 09:12:44 (permalink)
    Hi guys yes i already know this i have GNX4 that is not compatible with win8.1 i am busy checking reviews  and compatibillty issues with the items i am watching on ebay i have been on Amazon too asking owners for 8.1 issues i i don't need anything to big just to connect my guitar and master keyboard i don't even really need a mic input  my music tends to be more instrumental  i am a big Satchy fan
    RobertB
    Re: live Audio Latency 2015/01/25 22:43:47 (permalink)
    dredshred
     and a couple of Lexicon Lambda 24bit usb interface there about £30 on ebay which would get me up and running till i can afford something more high end 

Don't fall for the Lexicon units(any of them). They are USB1, and their latency is only marginally better than what you are experiencing now. At best, they are mildly annoying.They are cheap, even new, for a reason.
    I can't speak for the Apogee, as I have not had any direct experience with it.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    dredshred
    Re: live Audio Latency 2015/01/26 06:26:00 (permalink)
    ARRGH already picked up  a Lexicon  alpha then got the news dont touch them i did get 5 replies back from Amazon customers that have one and they all said they were happy with it several said no issues with win8.1 so i bought one £30  listed as used once ,mmm maybe that should have warned me off  if it is useless i will just offload it on ebay i had plenty of bids against me so should be able to get rid of it if i have to will let you all know how i get on with it 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1