Helpful ReplyNew to production. Tips to learning Sonar?

Author
Genius Animus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
2015/01/26 02:48:18 (permalink)

New to production. Tips to learning Sonar?

Jeez, it took me quite of bit of trouble to learn how to do basic things. I need all the help I can get. I'm pretty much to the point where I can record a few tracks using the stock loops and throw some vocals over it. I know how to add effects, but have yet to figure out how to record the synths onto the track they're dedicated to.

Anyways, I'm a songwriter who wants to start crafting my dreams into reality. I have heard DAWs are the tools to realize dreams. From what I've been learning, it's very much true. If I understood what HALF the knobs do, I'd be satisfied lol. I also want do start doing basic mixing to create mash ups and renditions of songs i love.

I'll take all the help I can get.

Questions:
Should I get a midi controller before my audio interface? Since I'm lacking most of what I need to record vocals (including talent) I could start laying down the custom tracks and really get into mastering said tracks while I continue to write.

How do I snip custom times of a track? I'd like to be precise if i could.

Tell me of your difficulties the first time you used a DAW. Since I'm not learning it formally nor do I have any friends to teach me, I need all the help I can get. Thanks!
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: New to production. Tips to learning Sonar? 2015/01/26 08:22:11 (permalink)
Work through the tutorials in the help. Seriously. They will take you through most of the initial learning curve very well.

Controller or interface? A controller is of limited use unless you can get the latency (put very simply the time it takes for MIDI input to emerge from a synth plugin as sound) low enough to be playable. What's an acceptable level lf latency varies from person to person, but as a general guide you're looking for 10-12 milliseconds or less.

To get that generally means an audio interface with good ASIO drivers. Some on-motherboard or similar audio chipsets can be persuaded to give low(ish) latency using the free downloadable ASIO4ALL driver, but ASIO4ALL is an attempt to get the standard Windows audio driver to behave like something it isn't so success isn't assured. Having ASIO4ALL installed can also cause problems later on when you do get an interface with a manufacturer supplied ASIO driver.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: New to production. Tips to learning Sonar? 2015/01/26 08:48:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2015/01/27 07:50:02
Definitely go with an interface first.

You might also sign up for the Intro to Music Production course that is being given free through Coursera.  It is a Berklee School of Music online course that starts a week from today.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

Genius Animus
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: New to production. Tips to learning Sonar? 2015/01/27 07:46:26 (permalink)
Thanks guys. I signed up for the class months ago Dave lol. Thanks brother.

That's what I was thinking as well tlw. I'm opting for a 2i2 Scarlett from focusrite. 

I will work through the tutorials and try to finish some mash ups i've been thinking about. Maybe finish a few songs i've been writing. 
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: New to production. Tips to learning Sonar? 2015/01/27 07:57:00 (permalink)
I definitely agree with Dave's recommendation of the Intro to Music Production course. I wish that existed 20 years ago, since it is exceptionally done and is DAW unspecific, and covers a lot of material you need to know well. Definitely set aside the time to participate in that course and especially the forums there. The participation in that forum when I took the course was top notch, and it is easy to get advice on all levels from folks who know equipment and techniques well.

Another thing you will want to do is get familiar with the SONAR UI. The tutorials included with SONAR (mentioned above) walk you through a good understanding of buttons/features of the UI for many of the basic phases of production/post-production inside of SONAR (Google "SONAR [version] reference guide" for your version and download the pdf file - 9 of the first chapters walk you through these tutorials).
post edited by mettelus - 2015/01/27 08:06:29

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: New to production. Tips to learning Sonar? 2015/01/27 09:54:08 (permalink)
I am actually taking the class this time.  I know a little bit about all the stuff they cover (based on reading this forum and a couple other places on the net), but I am hoping for some audio examples that I can play on my system to actually hear what is going on.  Looking forward to it.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

doyouwannit
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: New to production. Tips to learning Sonar? 2015/01/28 09:24:03 (permalink)
Genius Animus
Jeez, it took me quite of bit of trouble to learn how to do basic things. I need all the help I can get. I'm pretty much to the point where I can record a few tracks using the stock loops and throw some vocals over it. I know how to add effects, but have yet to figure out how to record the synths onto the track they're dedicated to.

Anyways, I'm a songwriter who wants to start crafting my dreams into reality. I have heard DAWs are the tools to realize dreams. From what I've been learning, it's very much true. If I understood what HALF the knobs do, I'd be satisfied lol. I also want do start doing basic mixing to create mash ups and renditions of songs i love.

I'll take all the help I can get.

Questions:
Should I get a midi controller before my audio interface? Since I'm lacking most of what I need to record vocals (including talent) I could start laying down the custom tracks and really get into mastering said tracks while I continue to write.

How do I snip custom times of a track? I'd like to be precise if i could.

Tell me of your difficulties the first time you used a DAW. Since I'm not learning it formally nor do I have any friends to teach me, I need all the help I can get. Thanks!

I would go for the audio interface, the controller is a convenience not a necessity unless you're a full blown production facility.
My route to familiarity was from cakewalks own video tutorials, they start at around £12 up to £34 for everything. Money well spent from my point of view. I would cast aside aspirations of creativity and spend a couple of weeks just learning the program first. Most of the tutorials can be found on youtube but it's tedious to find and watch them in a sensible order.
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: New to production. Tips to learning Sonar? 2015/01/28 13:42:22 (permalink)
Yes, an interface first.  You can make sound songs with Loops, the step sequencer and you can "paint" notes without a controller.  Be advised some controllers have a built-in interface.

Not really sure what you mean about "snip custom times"?  To cut a track is called splicing (comes from the tape days).  You simply put the curser on where you want to splice, highlight the track(s) to splice, and hit "S".  You can then slip those bits around the timeline, copy and paste, whatever you want to do w/ them.

A lot of new terminology to learn.  And a lot of basic stuff.  Analog was .. more direct to learn on.  But it translated easily to digital.  Just be in for a long slow ride of learning.  If it helps, compare digital music production to word processing.  You input, but then you can move chunks around, spell check, change format ,etc etc.

and have fun.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
EricDeluxe
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 428
Re: New to production. Tips to learning Sonar? 2015/01/30 15:21:46 (permalink)
If you are OK to spend a little money I can really recommend www.groove3.com. They have a lot of tutorials for Sonar and other DAW, Synths and FX etc...
Sonar stuff:
http://www.groove3.com/st...mode=search&page=1

http://soundcloud.com/ericdeluxe - my harder side
https://soundcloud.com/cirque-du-sonique my softer side
Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 (64 bit), MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, Novation SL MKII 25, NI KORE 2, NI Maschine, NI Komplete 9, Yamaha HS50m, AKG K240S, AKG Perception 200, Z3TA 2+, Soundtoys Native Effects, PSP Mixpack 2, several VSTs
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1