Composing with Notation and having Problems

Author
leolula7
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2015/01/24 13:11:08 (permalink)

Composing with Notation and having Problems

Hi!  I recently got Cakewalk Music Creator 6.  I used to have an older version, and I remember getting the midi set up properly was difficult.  Unfortunately,  I just want to get on there and compose the way I used to!  This Music Creator 6 is a lot different, and even the instrument sounds are all synthy, like trumpet and clarinet.  I am wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to set up the midi instruments so they will work properly with the staff notation.  I know I can find this in the tutorials somewhere, so even if you direct me to the proper place to look!   When I write a few notes out then push play, the playback only plays a few of the notes, as if it's not --what's that word-- syncing up.  I am moderately experienced with computer notation and music production software, but not enough to quickly address this issue!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

much thanks,

Leah

6 Replies Related Threads

leolula7
    Re: Composing with Notation and having Problems 2015/01/24 13:12:56 (permalink)
    (and if I did not make that clear I mostly want to compose with notation using the digital instruments like trumpets, clarinets, pianos, saxophones, etc.  the other features seem awesome such as using actual synths and midi keyboards, but I would like to start where I am comfortable!) 
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Composing with Notation and having Problems 2015/01/26 11:38:53 (permalink)
    Check in Edit>Preferences>MIDI, under a section labelled Playback, and try adjusting the Prepare Using xxx milliseconds value up from its current default value of 250 up to 500, or even higher, if needed.

Some folks run with it set to 999.

The default in prior releases was 500, and for some reason in one of the X releases, they changed that default value to 250, which seems to be too small for some folks.

Anyways, give that a shot, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Composing with Notation and having Problems 2015/01/26 19:03:42 (permalink)
    Composing the way you used to..... hummmm... things change as time goes on. When I came back to Cakewalk after several years...many things had changed. I too, wanted to do it like I used to..... but then I realized that the new way the software worked was so much better once I gave it a chance.

The sounds of the instruments have not changed as far as I am aware from MC4 up through MC6...  TTS is my default synth and that does have some shoddy sounding instruments.... my suggestion.... get Garritan  Personal Orchestra and use that instead or if you have the money, Kontakt from Native Instruments.... they are sampled instrument sounds as opposed to synths trying to emulate a trumpet or whatever....

Samples are much better sounding.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    leolula7
    Re: Composing with Notation and having Problems 2015/02/04 23:08:25 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bob and Herb.  The tips on increasing the milliseconds was useful, so now I can hear the notes I plug in, however, haha, it does sound like there is a helicopter chopping up the sound  Any thoughts on what that might be?  I will look into some of those samplers you mention, Herb.  thanks for the tips and hopefully I will find my way!  

Leah
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Composing with Notation and having Problems 2015/02/05 00:18:16 (permalink)
    Welcome ro the forum.
    What makes the sound of your MIDI notes has a lot to do with how realistic or artificial it sounds. The computer's sound card synthesizer, Microsoft's GS Wavetable synthesizer is infamous for it's unrealistic sound, but is easiest on the computer's processor.
    You could have your MIDI output set to an external keyboard or sound module. Many of these are of high quality, such that it's hard to tell the difference from a real instrument. Very little impact on the processor.
    Or you could use a software synthesizer, such as Cakewalk's TTS-1 or SoundCenter. These synths sound pretty good, but can use a lot of processing power, which could cause noise, jerky sound or no sound at all (audio dropout), especially when using a computer's built-in sound card.
    An audio interface designed for recording and processing sound is the solution to noisy playback and dropouts.
    What are you now using to make your MIDI notes sound? 

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Composing with Notation and having Problems 2015/02/05 08:10:48 (permalink)
    Ditto on Gregs comments.   Most everyone here uses aftermarket sound cards or interfaces.  they handle the massive data throughput that MC6 requires.  Some folks can get their systems to run smoother with a wrapper called ASIO4ALL. I personally could never get it to work for me, but some folks claim it's the best thing since sliced bread. I ended up buying an interface and have never regretted that for one minute.

Processing synths in real time is a huge load on the processor and the musical interfaces were made specifically to do that job.  Look at what other folks are using and ask questions before you spend money.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1