Helpful ReplyTurning back the years

Author
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
2014/11/21 05:46:08 (permalink)

Turning back the years

A while back I started reading all posts to the Instruments forum starting from the beginning from November 3, 2005 and going forward.  I just now passed the 1000 post mark, March 2007, so only about 3000 more to go !

The amount of info available is incredible, but it takes some work to extract and organize it.  Many links are dead though some can be recovered with the Wayback Machine and some creative web searching.  Also, the format of links in messages to other Cakewalk forum messages changed a short while ago (to FindPost etc) which changes what used to be a single click into a many step process.

A great big thanks to all that have contributed over the years.  René and b rock deserve high praise, and chad would too probably, if all his posts hadn't been wiped at some point (what happened with that ?).  There're some great teachers among you oldtimers.

I must say it's fun to relive the introductions of the various synths and their updates.  The prices things cost 8 or 9 years ago !  People back then wouldn't have believed what these products go for these days, like Rapture and DimPro on sale for 20$ each !

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
Re: Turning back the years 2014/12/04 19:56:16 (permalink)
As you can see, this particular forum is a bit different now.  I'm not one to wax nostalgic, but that was one creative period of time.  Lots of direct input from the developers, stacks of new synth releases and updates, inspired experimentation.  There are always going to be TS requests - and maybe it's selective memory on my part - but the proportions were different then.

chad would too probably, if all his posts hadn't been wiped at some point (what happened with that ?).

Yeah, it's as if the forum suffered a Chad mind-wipe as some point.  He put out a great deal of information, diagrams, programming tips ... It may still be out there, but I can never find it.  It happened right around the time he went from Chad Beckwith [Cakewalk] to 'chad'.  In my book, he'll always be both the Gregor Mendel and Victor Frankenstein of .sfz programming.
zanghue
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Turning back the years 2014/12/23 05:32:01 (permalink)
I understand what you are saying but I think there should be more comments regarding the threat that was initially started so that the pool of thoughts is attracted.  Regards.

omar
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Turning back the years 2015/01/22 05:04:38 (permalink)
Paul P
Re: Turning back the years 2015/01/22 07:12:17 (permalink)
soens
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Profile/49484/

That's the new Chad.  Some traces of the old Chad live on in quoted text, but there's very little.
Unfortunately, it's often diagrams that disappeared along with him.

Just got an idea that I don't think I'd tried till now.  I've been using the Internet Archive Wayback Machine for the pieces pointed to in old posts that are no longer in existence, but it hadn't occurred to me to do the same thing for the entire Instruments forum.  Lo and behold, the old Chad lives again !  For example in this thread:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070522023201/http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=704791

(you have to cut and paste the link since the forum software doesn't like compound adresses)

The best thing is that now I can access threads that were started by chad.  Those are completely gone today.
Still no pictures (because they were hosted elsewhere and no longer exist), but better than nothing.

Thanks for the nudge soens.
post edited by Paul P - 2015/01/22 07:30:18

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
chad
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 468
Re: Turning back the years 2015/01/22 08:30:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2015/01/27 20:25:08
Hi,

I don't remember how my posts got deleted, but that is how mind erases work I guess. 
I did manage to dig up some old figures I had made for Rapture:

Multimode oscillators and ring mod:

Stereo Field:

DSP signal flow:

The DSP Signal flow shows just how dated these are.  Back when Rapture only had 4 DSP routing options and the older dedicated DSP transforms.  There are 14 now, and a bakers dozen DSP modes. :)

Paul P
Re: Turning back the years 2015/01/22 08:55:26 (permalink)

Thanks Chad !

Just last night I re-watched the original Total Recall and have an idea of how you must feel

b rock
Re: Turning back the years 2015/01/22 19:31:42 (permalink)
Those images remind me of how psyched I was when Rapture was in the pre-release hype stage.  They also remind me of when I first "met" Chad:  I busted him on the fact that he was using a non-Cakewalk DAW for screenshots in the fledgling  Cakewalk Instruments forum.  Logic, I believe.

Of course, the new Chad can't remember that after [Chadwalk] went through the destructive editing procedures.
czyky
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: Turning back the years 2015/01/23 01:58:29 (permalink)
There was some serious mojo (like grandpa mojo) that went through here, with the new synths AND with Project 5. (parenthetical to chad and brock: as much as I was awed by Rapture's power, I was floored the first time I went through Universal 120's presets. A supernova indeed.) Sigh.

Paul P., it's a bittersweet story that you read, ripe with promise and then--well....

If only cake had commissioned a few more quality demo tracks, in the vein of "taboo style", to really show off their synths. (They still could. Independently, I offered one to all users back during 8.0/8.5. I suspect most takers found they couldn't even load the 50-synth-track project.) I think there was a contest? Was there Paul? (I am feint-at-heart and dare not to read back through the tomes as do you, Paul-with-the-stalwart-heart.) A celebrity endorsement would have helped. Camel Audio got B.T. (Or is it BT, no periods? I know, today it's "who's BT?" But then, regrettably, it's also who's Camel Audio? Rapture and Dim Pro are still standing, albeit as bullet points.)

Audio, Midi, Synths. It's as if CW could only pick two out of three to promote.

(By the way, I see René has recently resurfaced.)

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
www.adamczyk.com
Paul P
Re: Turning back the years 2015/01/23 08:41:37 (permalink)
czyky
There was some serious mojo (like grandpa mojo) that went through here, with the new synths AND with Project 5. (parenthetical to chad and brock: as much as I was awed by Rapture's power, I was floored the first time I went through Universal 120's presets. A supernova indeed.) Sigh.

The mojo is still kind of just floating around for those who'd like to experience it.  A bit of archaeology is involved but worth the effort.

Is there a modern-day forum somewhere in which you electronic music / sound design gods hang out ?  Something like this forum 10 years ago ?

czyky
Independently, I offered one to all users back during 8.0/8.5. I suspect most takers found they couldn't even load the 50-synth-track project.)

I found that and it's just the kind of music I want to be creating as my favourite music is the likes of Tangerine Dream, JM Jarre, Kraftwerk, etc. from the 70's and 80's.  Your music is great.

Here's an example sonar project for the community

I downloaded your project but won't get around to learning from it before I finish my degree in May.  Then it will get the utmost attention.  Thanks for that.

czyky

That's interesting.  I can't locate him anywhere except his LinkedIn page.

chad
Re: Turning back the years 2015/01/23 09:18:56 (permalink)
Hey Paul,

I did also want to mention yesterday that what you are doing by going through all of the forum is pretty amazing!  Highly commendable and most likely super rewarding for all of the tips and tricks threads that you'll be able to digest.  There are so many music tools today, its really easy to get overwhelmed.  The best thing anyone can do is sit down with a couple of tools and learn them inside and out.  

I've been wanting to go back through and bookmark all of the René + brock tips and tricks threads.  These could really be useful for any Cakewalk Synth user.  I've used the forum search to find many of these, but I know I'm still missing some. 

Good luck with the rest of your Cakewalk Synth Mastery!
Chad
Paul P
Re: Turning back the years 2015/01/23 10:01:22 (permalink)

Thanks Chad,

I plan on creating an index to all the interesting things I've come across.  Overall, at least in the three years I've done so far, there are really few posts that aren't interesting.  I have jumped over the threads that dealt with specific issues, installation problems, etc.

When I first started this I just bookmarked the interesting threads into various categories (SFZ, the different synths, general techniques, etc.).  I then started to worry that the threads might disappear at some point (like you did !) so I started saving the actual text.  This is slower as I copy each thread into a word document.  I'm going to have to create a master list of links and some system to match them to the word documents.

The message links were changed a little while ago which means you can no longer just click on a link to a forum message that you come across say in a 2006 thread.  You have to take the message number insert it into a FindPost address, gotten through (permalink).  That part is a pain.  (maybe a job for AutoHotkey, now that I think of it)

What I'd really like is a monster download of the entire Forum contents

Magic Russ
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 412
Re: Turning back the years 2015/01/26 12:22:14 (permalink)
Paul P
czyky

That's interesting.  I can't locate him anywhere except his LinkedIn page.

I remember seeing a post of his on KVR from a year ago saying he was coming back soon, but nothing since.
b rock
Re: Turning back the years 2015/01/27 18:22:52 (permalink)
Magic Russ
I remember seeing a post of his on KVR from a year ago saying he was coming back soon, but nothing since.
It'd be just like René to pop out of nowhere with a fully developed supersynth that blows everyone's doors off.

His Facebook 'likes' crack me up: 'I love ****ing science' and 'Nicole Kidman'.
But the best self-description is on his Twitter account: 'Sound Transhumanist'.
Perfect.  More like Posthumanist.  I miss that guy.
chad
Re: Turning back the years 2015/01/28 10:34:25 (permalink)
b rock
Magic Russ
It'd be just like René to pop out of nowhere with a fully developed supersynth that blows everyone's doors off.

I could use one that can blow the snow out the drive way about now.  ;)

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1