Helpful ReplyUsing Command Center offline? SOLVED

Author
karma1959
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 515
2015/01/26 18:30:00 (permalink)

Using Command Center offline? SOLVED

Hi all,
Apologies if I've missed something in the FAQs, but I have (what seems to me) a very obvious question:  how do you use Command Center when your DAW is not online? 

I keep my DAW PC dedicated for DAW purposes only and temporarily enable relatively slow wifi connectivity for downloading small updates, but for large downloads, I typically download to my office PC with much faster connectivity, then transfer the files via  flash drive and install. 

I've purchased and downloaded command center, but don't see any options to download the Sonar files without installing them. 
I'm fine bypassing command center and just downloading Sonar directly, but don't see an option for that as well.

I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks
Russ

post edited by karma1959 - 2015/01/27 15:35:33

Sonar Platinum x64 on Win10 64, Dell T7400 w/ 8 Xeon cores, 8 Gbyte RAM, 3 hard drives, RME Fireface UFX, UAD-1, Mackie Control, Adam A7X
tecknot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 766
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/26 21:47:27 (permalink)
Hi Russ,

What I have done is simply interrupt the installation process as soon as all downloaded files have been validated and before the installation takes place.  From that point I transfer the files over to my DAW.  I have also read that another user downloaded the files directly from her/his CW store account.  I haven't checked myself, but I am sure it is doable as it has always been that way (prior to the 3C).

By the way, you can change the download folder in 3C by going to the Settings (cog) and going to the Command Center at the bottom section in the Download Path field.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/26 22:10:37 (permalink)
I have an offline DAW as well. I downloaded the files from my CW account, and put them on a flash drive. The only thing I'm wondering about is updates. I see that Sonar Platinum in my account is now on a different build. So I guess I have to download the whole program every time I want to update?
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/26 22:38:03 (permalink)
This is an issue which I would also like addressed. I cannot find the thread now. But I believe it was Noel who said in a similar thread  " We don't recommend not using the command center to download and install Sonar 2015" 
Sorry I can't find it as these threads are moving to page 5 in no time right now. 
The gist of it is he's saying you need to use the command center or expect problems. 
For me it's a huge hassle as I'm just like Russ. But then add to that I am charged $10 a gig over 3 gigs a month. So am I'm faced with lugging my DAW to town? 
for X3 I just waited until I had access to a good connection and downloaded it no problem to a USB drive. I've never had to re download and that not an option I like. If these updates are large files then this puts the cost of owning Sonar way up for me. 
Not everybody on this planet has access to a good internet connection. I guess we are slowly becoming second class citizens. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

tecknot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 766
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/26 22:45:18 (permalink)
I haven't had any problems thus far.  I haven't install everything, like the Session Instruments and older plugin sets, but all is good.  I'll report if I do find a problem though.

Kind regards,

tecknot
karma1959
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/27 09:03:52 (permalink)
Leadfoot - when you say you download the files from your CW account onto a flash drive - that's exactly my question.  I've always done this historically, but now with my purchase of Platinum, it's recommended to use command center, so have you downloaded the files from command center without installing?  Or are you referring to downloading previous versions before Command Center? 

I also don't see any ability to just download the Platinum files without using command center, even though several threads indicate this is supposedly possible. 

I did exactly what techknot did (I stopped the process after download, just as installation was commencing), but surely this isn't the designed way things are supposed to work.

Sonar Platinum x64 on Win10 64, Dell T7400 w/ 8 Xeon cores, 8 Gbyte RAM, 3 hard drives, RME Fireface UFX, UAD-1, Mackie Control, Adam A7X
MarioD
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 901
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/27 09:41:49 (permalink)
It appears as though the command center has changed!  When I DLed Platinum I had the option to install or just DL the file.  I DLed the file, transferred it to a flash drive and installed it into my off line computer. I just checked and that option no longer exists. You can only install from the command center now.

Would someone else check this please just to verify.

Bakers, what gives?

The reason people say the vinyl sounds better is because the music was better.

Sonar Platinum, Intel i7 –2600 CPU @ 3.2 GHz, 16 GB ram, 2x2TB internal drives and 1 1TB internal drive, Radeon HD 5570 video card, HP 25" monitor,
Roland Octa Capture, MOTU Midi Express 128, Win 10 Pro

www.soundcloud.com/Mario_Guitar
Leadfoot
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/27 14:35:54 (permalink)
karma1959
Leadfoot - when you say you download the files from your CW account onto a flash drive - that's exactly my question.  I've always done this historically, but now with my purchase of Platinum, it's recommended to use command center, so have you downloaded the files from command center without installing?  Or are you referring to downloading previous versions before Command Center? 

I also don't see any ability to just download the Platinum files without using command center, even though several threads indicate this is supposedly possible. 

I did exactly what techknot did (I stopped the process after download, just as installation was commencing), but surely this isn't the designed way things are supposed to work.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I didn't use command center. I just went to Cakewalk.com and logged into my account, and went into the products page. From there, it shows everything you've registered. I downloaded Platinum from there. Hope that helps.
karma1959
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/27 15:31:07 (permalink)
Sorry it took so long to reply. I didn't use command center. I just went to Cakewalk.com and logged into my account, and went into the products page. From there, it shows everything you've registered. I downloaded Platinum from there. Hope that helps.

Leadfoot - thanks again. I'm baffled - when I go into 'my account' I can see all the products purchased before platinum available for download, but platinum is only listed under 'connected accounts' and doesn't have a direct download option - instead it redirects me to command center to download.  Am I being dopey and missing something completely obvious?

karma1959
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/27 15:35:04 (permalink)
All,
I placed a support ticket to Cake and their response is below.  I'm baffled why these steps aren't in the FAQs or download instructions.  I should also add that you don't need to complete the application install on the non-DAW PC.  Once the files complete downloading and you're prompted for an installation path (or whatever the first dialog box is), just cancel out of the install to avoid installing the command center delivered application onto your non-DAW PC.  Then just follow the instructions below to get the download files.

Thanks for contacting Cakewalk! If you have an online computer and wish to install the SONAR Platinum files on an offline computer, you can in fact get the files from a hidden folder from command center
Open your run prompt by holding down the Windows key and pressing R
  • In the Run Prompt, type %programdata%
  • Double click the Cakewalk Folder
  • Double click the Command Center folder
  • Double click the Downloads folder
  • All files in this folder are the setup files that Cakewalk Command Center accesses to install your products. You can copy all these files on to an external hard drive, and then run them on the offline computer. Note that you will need to go through the offline authorization steps if you are setting this up on an offline computer. Also note that some of these files are not necessary. You might notice multiple installers for each product. In this case, you only need the newest installer (check the numbers after the name of the product in the name of the Setup file; higher number = newer version). 
post edited by karma1959 - 2015/01/27 15:54:41

Leadfoot
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/27 15:43:10 (permalink)
That's good info to have. Hope it works for you.
Cactus Music
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/27 23:20:09 (permalink)
Well today I thought I'd give it a go and I just opened the "my Account"link and the Products link showed all my purchases from the past and plus the new- Sonar Professional, Melodyne and AD2. 
I opened the Sonar Professional tab and there is a list of stuff. I highlighted just the Professional and it opened a download link button.  
I started the download which was going to my normal Chrome Download folder but it kept stalling at 200 MB. I tried 3 times and it stalls at the same place. It says Unknown Network error. So  I think your right and they have changed something to tighten security.  Why a hidden download folder??   
The command Center has a buggy updater. It said there was an updated version but it just kept showing a circle going round and round. I tried twice.  I had to download the new version manually from the web site. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

millzy
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 890
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/27 23:31:30 (permalink)
FWIW, I installed Platinum exactly how you just described. All went without a hitch so I'm not sure about any tightened security.

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
Tom Riggs
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1752
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/28 00:06:59 (permalink)
Command center does indeed notify you if an update is available as well as check the downloaded file to verify it.  It does not keep the data from a download that did not complete to allow you to continue where you left off. I starts over each time.

If the file is small that's not a big issue. If on the other hand, like me, your connection is metered it's an additional expense.

The only issue I can see with the offline install is you need to verify the hash on the download if you want to verify the file before beginning the install.

I created a post in the  Features & Ideas Forum suggesting they add a download only option to the command center. 

If you think that is a good idea go and vote on the suggestion. They say the more votes they more likely something is to get implemented.

Cheers

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
My YouTube

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/28 05:49:43 (permalink)
They just need to add a download but don't install option.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
karma1959
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/28 07:31:34 (permalink)
Here is a subsequent response I received from CW support.  I must've missed this download link he's referring to, despite looking several times previously.  I'll try again tomorrow night when in front of my DAW.
Under "Connected Products" you will see SONAR Platinum and others listed. If you click the product name, you will see it expand, and at the top of the expanded view, you will see " Select a product from below to generate a download link:"
From there, all you have to do is select the product (or sub-product, in the case of SONAR Platinum) and an orange "DOWNLOAD" button will appear in the lower-right corner of the expanded window.
Once you have downloaded all the necessary installers, you can place them onto a USB drive, and then transfer them from the USB drive to the offline computer."

Leadfoot
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/28 08:48:34 (permalink)
Yep, that's how I did it.
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/28 09:42:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby karma1959 2015/01/28 09:54:09
FWIW... I have a slow internet connection in my studio as it is a fair distance from my access point, but I really wanted command centre to be able to check for updates. If you download and install the files directly without using command centre it does not detect them, and can't check for updates. My workaround was to downloaded the install files to a flash drive from my Cakewalk store account, then place them into the download folder inside command centre on the studio computer (this can be set to any folder you like using the command centre settings). When I opened command centre to install the files, it simply vetified the files that I had placed in the download folder and installed them. Now I have lovely green lights to tell me that I am up  to date and it didn't take a fortnight to download:)

karma1959
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/28 09:54:00 (permalink)
tenfoot
FWIW... I have a slow internet connection in my studio as it is a fair distance from my access point, but I really wanted command centre to be able to check for updates. If you download and install the files directly without using command centre it does not detect them, and can't check for updates. My workaround was to downloaded the install files to a flash drive from my Cakewalk store account, then place them into the download folder inside command centre on the studio computer (this can be set to any folder you like using the command centre settings). When I opened command centre to install the files, it simply vetified the files that I had placed in the download folder and installed them. Now I have lovely green lights to tell me that I am up  to date and it didn't take a fortnight to download:)

Thanks.. this is good to know.  I'll feed this back to CW support.  Hopefully they can push their developers to come up with something a bit more strategic within Command Center. 

dlion16
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 391
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/01/28 11:09:58 (permalink)
my daw has been offline too. i have windows defender, and when i go online i update it. i have to be online for xln, so it really is no big deal to do so for sonar as well. i don't do any surfing, just dl what i need, then pull the plug. best of both worlds, i think.

SONAR Platinum Lifetime 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.; KRK Rokit 5; ASUS P9X79; INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ;
850 WATT POWER SUPPLY; EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 TI 1GB;
Windows 10 Home 64-bit; 32GB RAM;
2 Internal SSD Drives, 3 External USB drives.
TremoJem
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 479
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/03/31 07:00:44 (permalink)
Tenfoot,

I will be trying this tonight.

Can you be more specific on how you took the files from the external HD and placed them in Command Center?

Please detail everything...thanks.

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

Most importantly...not enough time.

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/03/31 07:53:05 (permalink)
CCC has an option that allows you to define the location for your downloaded files. That's the place on your PC where the CCC would put the files if you used the CCC to download the files.

Just place your downloaded files from your SSO account into that folder then run CCC and select which ever files you want to install. CCC knows it doesn't need to download the files and just uses the ones in your selected folder.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
TremoJem
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/03/31 09:48:38 (permalink)
Thanks Mike, I am in the office and do not have CCC in front of me so of course I cannot look for this folder.

Where would I find this folder?

Or, where can I find the configuration options in CCC?

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/03/31 10:48:49 (permalink)
There is a setting page in C3. To display it, click the gear in the upper right of the C3 UI.
BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/03/31 10:51:47 (permalink)
dlion16
my daw has been offline too. i have windows defender, and when i go online i update it. i have to be online for xln, so it really is no big deal to do so for sonar as well. i don't do any surfing, just dl what i need, then pull the plug. best of both worlds, i think.

That's how I do it and you are right, best of both worlds.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
Cactus Music
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/03/31 11:50:39 (permalink)
I think they updated a lot of stuff since this thread. The offline process is now well documented and I had no problems downloading and installing Producer the good old fashioned way on a Laptop I just fixed up. No Command Centre was used. 
I just downloaded all the files that where in my account folder. I actually tried to install CC but it said I needed Net Framework 4 and my OS said I already have it installed?? so was a stalemate. So I installed Producer without CC no problem. When you open Sonar for the first time ( do as administrator) there will  be a few blue dialogue boxes in the lower right corner. One say's Demo Mode, One of them asks if you want to activate off line and when you click on it, it takes you to your account page ( you must be still on line duh! ) and gives clear instructions on how to proceed. It's an offline activation file you can move to any other computer, or in this case, the same computer sans CC. The export/ import offline activation is found in the HELP menu of Sonar. 
I worked for a few hours last night after installing all my stuff like Dim Pro and AD 2. All is working perfectly and all without the presents of Command Centre.

So when I get home I will transfer the new version of Professional over to my main DAW and install it over the old version. Or I might try the folder trick mentioned above first. But I'm tempted to scrap Command Centre if it's not really needed for the way I do things. Every time there's an update it's pretty obvious if you visit the forum :) I'm not really keen on the additional content stuff at this point but will keep an eye on that too.  
post edited by Cactus Music - 2015/03/31 12:00:09

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

TremoJem
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/03/31 17:05:25 (permalink)
So I downloaded the main folders from my Cakewalk Account page, (not the files that report up to the main folder) and loaded this in the folder CCC places files when you download.

I closed everything and re-opened CCC.

I told CCC to install Sonar..the main folder.

It started to download...what am I doing wrong?

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Leadfoot
Re: Using Command Center offline? 2015/04/02 08:22:29 (permalink)
I bypassed CCC altogether. I placed the files on my D: drive, then double clicked the .exe files, and everything installed fine.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1