Helpful ReplySonar X3 v Cubase 8

Author
ULTRABRA
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 484
2015/01/09 04:30:17 (permalink)

Sonar X3 v Cubase 8

Has anyone had a look at the new Cubase 8, and how it compares with Sonar X3?

I had a quick look at thie rpromotional videos and the "render in place" look like it takes Sonar's "bounce" function on a couple of levels, and the VCA faders look a good way of controlling tracks or groups of tracks with automation (cf Sonars Offset mode).  

That said, it seems to be a very buggy release with lots of anger on their forum.    Same as with Sonar I guess ;-)

HP Z420, Intel Xeon E5-1620@ 3600MHz, 8GB RAM,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 24, & Sonar : Producer X3    
My Soundcloud
GIM Productions
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 860
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/09 04:39:11 (permalink)

Intel i7 3600,Asus Z170P,16 GIG Corsair ram,Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i\o,Nektar Impact LX 49,Focusrite Liquid Mix,Monitors ADAM-K&H,Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 SP1
Producer....more stuff in SStudio, Rome ,Italy.
ULTRABRA
  • Total Posts : 484
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/09 04:40:50 (permalink)
Ahaa!  I actually did a search and got no results for "Cubase 8" ... anyways ...  

HP Z420, Intel Xeon E5-1620@ 3600MHz, 8GB RAM,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 24, & Sonar : Producer X3    
My Soundcloud
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/09 10:38:51 (permalink)
I got Cubase Elements 7 for Christmas. They have not released Elements 8 yet. If it pans out I will upgrade.  I really just hate Sonars editing , copy, paste and multiple mouse click, menu stuff. It's been a year and hours and hours working with it and I'm still feel like I'm wearing lead shoes. 
I probably will always use Sonar, but for projects that I record that are mostly audio I really need better tools and editing. Sonar has become bogged down with features which are a great asset for most, but a hindrance to others. I think we need to try other DAW's just to see how it goes. 

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/09 12:40:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby LaszloZoltan 2015/01/11 16:28:28
johnnyV
I really just hate Sonars editing , copy, paste and multiple mouse click, menu stuff. 

Well you seem like a knowledgeable user, so I assume you know all the shortcuts and such. But Cakewalk really does pay attention. If you have the time to propose some improvements, I can't guarantee whether they would be implemented but I can guarantee they would be considered.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/09 13:24:33 (permalink)
What happened to the feature request site, Craig?

Personally, the only significant complaint I have with sonar is that it isn't available for Linux....

Yet.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/09 15:29:04 (permalink)
I don't have X3 (but do have X2), so I'm not completely current in my knowledge of SONAR.  Cubase 8 did indeed get a nice new feature in render-in-place.  Should anyone doubt the value of this, just consider the unknown state of Alchemy tracks in existing projects.  Will you be able to recreate them a year from now?  Before archiving any project with synths, it seems like a *very* good idea to render all the synth tracks.  Render in place makes this so easy that there's little excuse not to do it.

However, Cubase did not catch up to SONAR in the very simple (from user perspective) ability that replaces a frozen track with an audio track.  You can freeze, of course, but you can't see it.  This may not seem like a big deal until you miss having it.

Cubase 8 did close one gap: it now has a plug-in manager - long overdue, IMO. 

The audio engine efficiency is said to be much improved, but I haven't had enough experience to see if that's meaningful to me.  There are some flakey UI issues that motivated me to return to Cubase 7.5 until the dust settles.  Also, Cubase 8 requires that you switch to an Aero visual theme on Windows - a requirement I was far less than thrilled about!

In terms of MIDI capabilities, not much happened.  Cubase still beats SONAR in several areas that are important to me (MIDI sends, tempo editing capabilities), but there's nothing new to get excited about.
johnnyV
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/15 15:39:56 (permalink)
Well I'm happy to report that Sonar blows Cubase away as far as I can tell after a week of recording a few songs from scratch in Cubase 7 . Mind you I'm only using Elements which would be the same as using plain X3. But unless there's way more to the basic features in the full version, I'm not impressed at all. As far as the literature say's all Cubase versions work the same with layout and basic functions, you just get more stuff as the price goes up the same as Sonar. If this is not true someone please correct me. 
Any one of use could open Plain Sonar x3 and set it up in a matter of minutes with nothing other than a few tools and plug ins missing. As a matter of fact we could open any version of Cakewalk and be OK.  The layout and editing should all be the same. So I'm basing my experience with Elements with the understanding that the things I find lacking, are global to all versions. Like adding an effect. 

I'll qualify myself by saying I like my DAW to more or less mimic the real world of audio. In other words I like to work as close to the way I am used to working with old school gear. 
If I want to add reverb to my Vocal tracks, I plug in a reverb unit and use an aux send and return it to blend it back to the Master output. I need to control both the level of the send, and the amount of the return.  We all know how simple this is in Sonar. And how visible the sends and the Reverb bus are, also how quickly we can pop open the GUI and make changes.

For the life of me I could not get used to Cubase's weird layout and I never found how to have an effects send control added to the track inspector. I have tried demos of Reaper which seem to work more logical than this. I could go on about every aspect of what I found but all I'm going to say is other than it's a solid stable DAW, it is weird to work with.  Over all it has a Sonar 5 feel to it. Nothing happening here folks, keep moving,
My family wasted $99 on my present  so I'll pretend I use it a lot :)  I think I can re sell it? 
I'm not totally sure it's registered because it does everything with the eLicencer.  
I might find a use for it as a lightweight live recorder. Just don't ask me to edit anything with it or make a mix down. 

Craig- my only frustration with Sonar is when I want to do something like lower or raise the level of one tiny phrase in an audio track. In Wave lab this takes one swipe and a mouse click. 
I guess it's not possible to have certain customization options available on a mouse click. 
I'm just going to have to dig deeper into Sonars Keybindings and such. For now it's just as easy to tool copy to Wave lab. 

The other thing that's been bugging me is when you go to chop up or slip edit an audio track with automation on it. All hell breaks loose. I just happen to have been happier with 8.5's track editing. It would have been cool to have an 8.5 editing mode! My problem is I just get busy working and recording and really don't have time to spend exploring options. 
I'm not kidding that it would be cool if Sonar had a Basic and Advanced Mode. 

Or instead of the 3 versions how about a version for each music production style. 
I'm paying for features that I have no use for like all those wonderful weird space fart synths and techno tools. 

My proposal would be:  
Sonar Audio - Optimized for audio editing and production, midi, basic synths. No looping or space farts. Easy to use by real musicians, bands and singer songwriters. 

Sonar Producer- Optimized for electronic music - Lite on the Audio tools and effects, but lots of synths and looping functions.  Easy to be used by people with no musical ability.  

Sonar Deluxe - Combines the Audio and Producer version.  Hard to use by both Musicians and Electronic Producers. This is sort of what we are getting now. 

Scarlett 6i6
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/15 16:29:31 (permalink)
I tried elements and was not a fan at all.  Probably just feels too foreign
jyoung
  • Total Posts : 483
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/15 16:49:43 (permalink)
dubdisciple
I tried elements and was not a fan at all.  Probably just feels too foreign

I think that's the gist of it. Every interface takes some training and getting used to.
johnnyV
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/15 17:14:35 (permalink)
I've had Cubase LE 5 for a long time now and have used it on occasion just for fun so I'm not a new user really.  So I had lots of time to "get used to it" It's just substandard to what Sonar offers, I have Sonar X1 LE. It does more. Elements was a disappointment and not much of a step above LE5. 
Sonar might have quirky behavior and crazy learning curve, but it for sure is the better bang for the buck. With the new pricing structure Sonar is going to jump ahead because it will be more affordable to try a full version for as long as you wish. One month was not enough to scratch the surface unless you locked yourself in the studio for the duration.   

Scarlett 6i6

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/15 18:50:43 (permalink)
Raising a range of a volume envelope is a swipe in the bottom half of the track, then click in the top half of the track and raise just that part of the envelope.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
johnnyV
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/15 21:05:32 (permalink)
I try and avoid using envelopes because once they are added to a track I cannot split of slip edit the track anymore. I know this is something I'm not doing right but so be it for the last 6 months. I can level a track out perfectly and fast in Wave Lab, but it would be nice not to have to use another app to do this. 

Scarlett 6i6

theheliosequence
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 125
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/26 01:42:26 (permalink)
johnnyV
I try and avoid using envelopes because once they are added to a track I cannot split of slip edit the track anymore. I know this is something I'm not doing right but so be it for the last 6 months. I can level a track out perfectly and fast in Wave Lab, but it would be nice not to have to use another app to do this. 

I believe there is a setting (I can't remember where) that allows you to be able to do clip editing without it effecting any volume or panning envelopes. Of course, clip gain could be effected, but that's a given. You just have to make sure that you've selected clip on the track editor once you're done doing the volume automation.
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/27 00:20:35 (permalink)
  I don't mind a plugin or two needing a dongle but I dislike an app needing a dongle to function.  If you use more than one machine that's a real hassle.  I still use Reason's Ignition key on one machine but I can at least log in to Reason on other machines.
  Licensing and authorization are still a big factor in what I use.
kakku
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1646
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/27 05:58:41 (permalink)
I once read in a Cubase review that it was not easy to use. Is it harder to use than Sonar nowadays?

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
kakku
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/27 06:48:21 (permalink)
kakku
I once read in a Cubase review that it was not easy to use. Is it harder to use than Sonar nowadays?

I find Cubase pretty straight forward.  I'm not a big fan of the interface.  Feature wise,
especially MIDI wise, Cubase kicks Sonar to the curb.  Interface wise Sonar kicks Cubase 
to the curb.  YMMV

kakku
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1646
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/27 12:09:03 (permalink)
cclarry
kakku

I find Cubase pretty straight forward.  I'm not a big fan of the interface.  Feature wise,
especially MIDI wise, Cubase kicks Sonar to the curb.  Interface wise Sonar kicks Cubase 
to the curb.  YMMV

Ok, thanks for the info.

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
kakku
PH68
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 564
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/01/31 05:35:07 (permalink)
Dongle free stuff for me.

~ Cakewalk ~ Arturia ~ Waves ~ Overloud ~ Windows ~
Woodyoflop
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 281
Re: Sonar X3 v Cubase 8 2015/06/18 14:43:36 (permalink)
johnnyV
Well I'm happy to report that Sonar blows Cubase away as far as I can tell after a week of recording a few songs from scratch in Cubase 7 . Mind you I'm only using Elements which would be the same as using plain X3. But unless there's way more to the basic features in the full version, I'm not impressed at all. As far as the literature say's all Cubase versions work the same with layout and basic functions, you just get more stuff as the price goes up the same as Sonar. If this is not true someone please correct me. 
Any one of use could open Plain Sonar x3 and set it up in a matter of minutes with nothing other than a few tools and plug ins missing. As a matter of fact we could open any version of Cakewalk and be OK.  The layout and editing should all be the same. So I'm basing my experience with Elements with the understanding that the things I find lacking, are global to all versions. Like adding an effect. 

I'll qualify myself by saying I like my DAW to more or less mimic the real world of audio. In other words I like to work as close to the way I am used to working with old school gear. 
If I want to add reverb to my Vocal tracks, I plug in a reverb unit and use an aux send and return it to blend it back to the Master output. I need to control both the level of the send, and the amount of the return.  We all know how simple this is in Sonar. And how visible the sends and the Reverb bus are, also how quickly we can pop open the GUI and make changes.

For the life of me I could not get used to Cubase's weird layout and I never found how to have an effects send control added to the track inspector. I have tried demos of Reaper which seem to work more logical than this. I could go on about every aspect of what I found but all I'm going to say is other than it's a solid stable DAW, it is weird to work with.  Over all it has a Sonar 5 feel to it. Nothing happening here folks, keep moving,
My family wasted $99 on my present  so I'll pretend I use it a lot :)  I think I can re sell it? 
I'm not totally sure it's registered because it does everything with the eLicencer.  
I might find a use for it as a lightweight live recorder. Just don't ask me to edit anything with it or make a mix down. 

Craig- my only frustration with Sonar is when I want to do something like lower or raise the level of one tiny phrase in an audio track. In Wave lab this takes one swipe and a mouse click. 
I guess it's not possible to have certain customization options available on a mouse click. 
I'm just going to have to dig deeper into Sonars Keybindings and such. For now it's just as easy to tool copy to Wave lab. 

The other thing that's been bugging me is when you go to chop up or slip edit an audio track with automation on it. All hell breaks loose. I just happen to have been happier with 8.5's track editing. It would have been cool to have an 8.5 editing mode! My problem is I just get busy working and recording and really don't have time to spend exploring options. 
I'm not kidding that it would be cool if Sonar had a Basic and Advanced Mode. 

Or instead of the 3 versions how about a version for each music production style. 
I'm paying for features that I have no use for like all those wonderful weird space fart synths and techno tools. 

My proposal would be:  
Sonar Audio - Optimized for audio editing and production, midi, basic synths. No looping or space farts. Easy to use by real musicians, bands and singer songwriters. 

Sonar Producer- Optimized for electronic music - Lite on the Audio tools and effects, but lots of synths and looping functions.  Easy to be used by people with no musical ability.  

Sonar Deluxe - Combines the Audio and Producer version.  Hard to use by both Musicians and Electronic Producers. This is sort of what we are getting now. 

Im assuming you already knew this, but its fairly easy if you just open the automation lane. Find the phrase your want, click a couple nodes in and raise it. Takes a couple seconds. I do this also with things such as reverb or effects. Such as i may want more reverb on a specific phrase. i usually have a bus just for certain effects such as reverb and send all my audio through it and control to my liking.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1