A large Staff View feature list

Author
jfcomposer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
2015/01/27 15:57:51 (permalink)
4.94 (17)

A large Staff View feature list

Disclaimer:  I'm still on X2, and I am by no means an expert.  Some of these items may have workarounds, and some of them may be solved and I'm not aware of it.  

1. Better interface for choosing note duration, since symbol icons were removed. The current context menu lists the durations as plain text which is not as quick to decipher than looking at a symbol. Perhaps a Maya-like circular arrangement of note durations (symbols) that pops up around your cursor when you middle click. I know you can rebind keys to choose them; but there should also be an easier GUI-based way to do it.

2. Make copy/paste more consistent in staff view: sometimes if I copy a section of music, move the now time, and paste, the selection will paste to different staves than the notes were originally on. You can get around this by using Paste Special (an unnecessary step IMO), but that's not as easy either, because...

3. The "Paste Special" track list is numeric. Make the Paste Special "starting at track" list display the name of the tracks (abbreviate them to 15 characters or something, if necessary). As it stands I have to look back at the staff view, find the corresponding track number, and choose it from a list. If the list simply displayed my track names ("Violins," "Tpt 1", etc.) it would be much easier to choose the correct starting track for the pasted data from there instead of having to cross-reference the staff view.

4. Integrate MIDI CC envelopes into staff view, or better integrate staff view into track view. This is to easily edit envelopes as the notes are laid down instead of having to switch screens to do it. I do use multiple monitors, but finding and lining up the envelopes with the correct notes (when the track view doesn't even display notes) is a workflow hindrance.

5. Allow the transpose input dialog to accept typed negative numbers. Clicking the little down arrow 12 times (or holding it down) to transpose an octave down is annoying.

6. Create a menu in the staff view to change common notation-oriented things like tempo, key, etc. The less I have to switch back to the track view for these things, the better.

7. Allow the staff view to display more than 24 staves at once.

8. Allow the mouse scroll wheel to scroll the staff view. WhizMouse can do this, but why should we have to install a 3rd party app for this basic bit of functionality?

9. Allow the use of the video thumbnail vew on the staff view (rides on top, like in track view). Alternatively, have a thumbnail of the video frame beside each marker, to make syncing to video easier.

10. When clicking a dragging a note on staff to change its pitch, provide an option (buried in the preferences, I don't care) that locks the note to the staff on which it was originally placed.

11. Allow the staff view to group instruments by section (or just by folder from the track view) and have those groups be collapseable, like they are in the track view.

12. When moving a selection of notes, have a greyed-out representation of the notes follow the cursor instead of the outlined box that shows up currently. I almost always move them to the wrong pitch by accident when I didn't mean to change the pitch at all. Or keep the box and use a Photoshop-style control character to lock the selection by pitch as you drag it around (shift, for instance). Going further, a different control character would lock pitch AND position in the measure, but allow you to drag to another staff entirely, like clips in the track view.

13. (more of a bug) Better clean-up and syncing of notes on the staff and their respective clips in track view. Currently if you create some notes, delete them, create new notes, delete them, paste over the area and edit the notes, etc., you end up with a lot of empty clips in the track view sitting on top of the clips that actually contain the notes displayed in the staff view. These clips should be automatically split and merged which each action taken in the staff view.

14. Vocal step record: allow me to sing in notes one at a time, right into the staff view. Allow for an insertion marker to be placed on a staff at any particular spot, and can be changed at any time between notes. Once the marker is placed, hold a (keyboard) key to enable pitch detection. A note appears on the staff at the marker in the duration currently selected, and will move as my sung pitch goes up or down, as well as play the note along with me as I sing it, as if I were holding down the left mouse button before placing the note. Once I'm happy with the note, I release the pitch detection key and the note is placed and the marker moves forward. Rinse and repeat. With this I could record a passage for one instrument, OR record all the notes of a chord on multiple staves (string section, etc.) by just clicking to a different staff and singing the next note in the chord. With good pitch detection this could be *much* faster than using the mouse for input.

15. Once chromatic input mode is enabled (right-clicking a note while selected with left click), show a magnified view of the note on the staff to more easily select the correct semitone instead of hunting for the exact pixel to make the note the correct pitch. Mostly an issue when staff size is small since the pixels between semitones are smaller as well. The magnified view will change the distance between the semitones such that it could be 10 or 20 pixels between a C and its respective C#, for example. Less pixel hunting and more control.

16. Customizable, colored bar lines (the staves themselves, not the notes). Helps to visually group instruments together and find the right section/staff without having to read the tediously-small staff names.

17. Display more of the staff name under each staff. Just 5-10 more characters would suffice for my purposes but it baffles me that it's cut off off at all. Customizable font size for this would be helpful too.

18. Allow the saving of a template file that includes everything except notes, tempo changes, key changes, and CC values. The envelopes themselves remain. There are ways to get around this, but they're clunky. (My current method is to start all my pieces at measure 2, so I can select everything from measure 2 onward in the track view and hit delete, then save the file like that. Doing it from measure 1 has a tendency to delete envelopes entirely. As long as there's a node at the beginning of the piece for every envelope, it won't get deleted when deleting from measure 2).

19. A setting within the staff view (could be bound to specific staves or globally) to automatically add or subtract a specific tick value from each note as it's placed. For instance: Hollywood Strings legato patches require notes to overlap slightly in order to trigger the legato samples between them. I've solved this with a CAL script and bound that script to a key, so I can select a group of notes and it'll add 80 ticks to each note in the selection. Having this functionality built-in would be nice.

IN THE CASE OF AN OVERHAUL:
1. Don't ditch the neverending staves for a page-based layout, or at least make it an option.
2. Don't change the loose nature of placing notes with the mouse. Cubase is too restrictive to me and relies too much on the "active staff" to do it. I like being able to place notes whenever and wherever I please, as long as snap is behaving itself.

post edited by jfcomposer - 2015/01/27 16:10:49

12 Replies Related Threads

rocketmorton
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: A large Staff View feature list 2015/02/02 21:12:45 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    I would KILL for a simple update that makes the Staff View the way it was in Sonar 8.5 (and below): have a pointer, draw, eraser, and scrub tool and have the note values (with dot and triplet option) ALL ON THE STAFF VIEW PANE.

That's it.

As Sonar X3 is, for me, it's unusable and the staff view was what has kept me working with Sonar over the years (all the way back to the early Home Studio days). I've had to go back to using Sonar 8.5 for the last several years due to the X series' lack of staff tools.

Your suggestions are fantastic and if they did all of these I'd buy every release from here to the ends of time.
    JoePohhmann
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: A large Staff View feature list 2015/02/04 15:09:30 (permalink)
    As for point 5 it should be noticed that the transpose menu yet allows to enter negative values (sonar platinum).

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: A large Staff View feature list 2015/02/04 15:31:09 (permalink)
    Also right-click on the arrow to advance by one octave.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Kev999
    Re: A large Staff View feature list 2015/02/05 14:09:19 (permalink)
    The above was my first attempt at posting from a small mobile device rather than a computer. I wanted to quote the following piece of the OP's text but that seemed too difficult at the time:

jfcomposer
    ...Clicking the little down arrow 12 times (or holding it down) to transpose an octave down is annoying...

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    williamcopper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re: A large Staff View feature list 2015/02/05 17:36:12 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Fully agree with most of those in the OP.   Staff view, piano roll view, event list: where we spend most of our hours if using midi.    I am completely indifferent to new drum packs,  envelopes, new 'free' synth options.   Just if the basic GUI could get better instead of getting worse, with better meaning FASTER not dumber.
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: A large Staff View feature list 2015/02/27 08:33:49 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Most severe limitation is triplet handling - no rests?
    Common 1 n 3 triplet HH not possible.
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: A large Staff View feature list 2015/03/02 13:41:19 (permalink)
    jfcomposer
    5. Allow the transpose input dialog to accept typed negative numbers. Clicking the little down arrow 12 times (or holding it down) to transpose an octave down is annoying.

This can be done but you have to use the minus key on the main keyboard not he one in the keypad.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    mcouture1961
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: A large Staff View feature list 2015/03/02 16:59:37 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Point 4 : Merge Staff view into Track view for midi tracks.

WOW! That would be such an improvement. Everything would align, including envelopes and even audio tracks.

Sonar Platinum,
    Windows 10 64-bit , Intel i7 2600K Quad 16GB
    Focusrite 2i2
    M-Audio Axiom 61, Roland Juno Di,
    Dimension Pro and Rapture Pro
    M-Audio M3-6 monitors,
    Guitars and Mics
    Kev999
    Re: A large Staff View feature list 2015/03/02 17:46:30 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    mcouture1961
    Point 4 : Merge Staff view into Track view for midi tracks.

WOW! That would be such an improvement. Everything would align, including envelopes and even audio tracks.

Track View has independent vertical and horizontal zoom whereas Staff View only zooms proportionally and has a much smaller useful zoom range. How would you reconcile this?

FLZapped
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: A large Staff View feature list 2015/03/10 14:38:21 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    It would be nice for a change to see anyone include the ability to write AAA notation for accordion stradella bass AND have it properly interpret the chords.
    YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 703
    Re: A large Staff View feature list 2015/03/17 23:26:27 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    Note values on 1-click buttons showing state, ala 8.5.3.

A menu to choose note values that requires reading is just stupid.

jatoth
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 363
    Re: A large Staff View feature list 2015/03/27 15:16:09 (permalink)
    Has anyone else noticed? Or is it just me.
    Where have all the staff view feature request postings gone?
    A month ago there were a dozen or so posts for staff view features, now there is one!
    We were told by Cakewalk to post our requests here so people could vote on them. Several posts had multiple yes votes. Now the requests are no where to be found.
    And as we expected, another monthly update without any mention of staff view.
    Promises, promises. And more disappointment.

Edit: my bad, I wasn't aware the forums were filtered to show 30 days.
    post edited by jatoth - 2015/03/27 15:35:12

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1