Helpful ReplyFishman TriplePlay guitar midi controller

Author
senn55
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2015/01/28 17:44:25 (permalink)

Fishman TriplePlay guitar midi controller

Looking at buying one of these. Have not seen many bad reviews so far. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these using them in Sonar X3?

Thanks in advance for your input.

microapp
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 653
Re: Fishman TriplePlay guitar midi controller 2015/01/28 18:14:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2017/12/18 14:48:45
If you have not used  guitar to MIDI before, do not expect it to magically convert everything you play perfectly.
In a way it is like playing another instrument because you have to play very precise and limit how fast you play.
The FTP is better than the Roland GK-20, but only slightly better or maybe even the same as Jam Origin.
Jam Origin has no hardware... it uses the PC to do the conversion on the normal pickup signal.
If I were you, I would download the Jam Origin demo before you spend $400 on FTP.
Jam Origin will give you a feel for guitar to MIDI since its tracking and conversion is about the same as FTP.
If you like it, I think the licensed Jam Origin is $100.
Since FTP is hardware based  you cannot demo it. You also need to get extra mounting kits for the pickup and controller if you want to use it on different guitars.

Not much to say about using FTP with Sonar.
Sampletank and Kontakt Player come with the FTP though not the full versions. Also has some basic notation software.
These can be used with Sonar just like any other Synth. You canuse  it as a standalone program or as a VST. The VST was a little crash prone so I use it standalone.
The FTP's MIDI can control any Sonar synth. Same with Jam Origin.
If you want to mix the normal guitar signal with  synths being controlled by FTP, you need to use a std guitar cable and insrt this into Sonar via your audio interface. I found this odd because the MIDI part of FTP is wireless.

I have the FTP on a Jackson DK-2S which also has a Sustainiac magnetic sustainer factory installed. If you have not looked into the Sustainiac, google it. It is very cool.
THe FTP works about the same on a Les Paul , Ibanez RG or Strat.
I waited like 2 yrs for Fishman to finally come out with the FTP. THere was a lot of hype in the that time. Designed by the guy that made the Axion and so forth. When I finally got it, to tell you the truth I was a little disappointed. It all depends on what you want it for.
If you want some string or horn parts, great. I use it to play bass parts on guitar or maybe the occasional sax part. You are not going to shred flat out with it, though.

Ask me specifics if you want to know more.
post edited by microapp - 2015/01/28 18:46:24

Sonar Platinum, Cubase Pro 8.5, Reaper 5, Studio One 2
Melodyne Studio 4, Finale 2012
I7-5820K 4.5GHz, 32 GB DDR4-2800,3 monitors,Win 10 Pro
Toshiba P75-A7100,l7-4900 2.4 Ghz/8MB Win 8.1 Pro
Tascam FW-1884, Emu 0404USB, CMC-AI,Axiom 61
Yamaha HS-50's, Sony SA-W2500, Sennheiser RS170's, ATH-M50
Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Jackson DK2-S(Sustainiac),Les Paul Custom
Digitech Valve-FX, GFX-1,TSR-24,RP-90
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Fishman TriplePlay guitar midi controller 2015/01/28 18:47:26 (permalink)
I use a roland gr-20 with a gk3 divided pickup and I love it.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/gr-20/

The hold glide and volume expression pedals really help.

I will say the GR20 does better than with the midi that comes out of the GR20 when I send it to Sonar.

With the GK3, there are a number of settings for sensitivity. A different setting when strumming chords. In the video you sent, you notice how everything he plays works with a high sensitivity. I remember when I first got my gk3 I wondered why I couldn't come off a barred F chord without sounding the low E.

Playing with the midi pickup really helped my chops. I imagine that setting the height and sensitivity of yours will also matter for how it plays. I don't know how easy it is to adjust while you play. The GR-20 has settings you can flip between, also changing the synth and the sensitivity for different parts of the song. Hard strummed chords working differently than lead parts.

I don't have experience with your device, but it looks cool and inexpensive. I worry about the wireless part b/c of batteries and the problems that might come from dead batteries.

For what it's worth, I totally love midi with guitar. It's super fun. I highly recommend it.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/gr-55/

This gr-55 is also way cool, but I don't have one. I've lusted after it.

fwiw I usually run my guitar straight to my Amp or Interface and then run the midi outs direct to amp or interface and lastly, I add in the midi in Sonar - soft  synths. I can control the soft synths somewhat with the expression pedal from the gr20.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
microapp
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 653
Re: Fishman TriplePlay guitar midi controller 2015/01/28 19:00:43 (permalink)
gswitz,
The FTP software has all the things you describe.
You can calibrate the output of each string.
Sensitivity adjustment for finger picking, plectrum, etc.
Alternate tunings can be instantly called up.
You can split the neck or strings into zones  to control  different synths.

Sonar Platinum, Cubase Pro 8.5, Reaper 5, Studio One 2
Melodyne Studio 4, Finale 2012
I7-5820K 4.5GHz, 32 GB DDR4-2800,3 monitors,Win 10 Pro
Toshiba P75-A7100,l7-4900 2.4 Ghz/8MB Win 8.1 Pro
Tascam FW-1884, Emu 0404USB, CMC-AI,Axiom 61
Yamaha HS-50's, Sony SA-W2500, Sennheiser RS170's, ATH-M50
Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Jackson DK2-S(Sustainiac),Les Paul Custom
Digitech Valve-FX, GFX-1,TSR-24,RP-90
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Fishman TriplePlay guitar midi controller 2015/01/29 11:05:03 (permalink)
Sounds like a party to go!

I have played with sending different ranges to different synths, but on mine, it doesn't differentiate between a twelth fret E on the low E string and a second fret E on the D string so it gets kinda goofy. I would think that being able to send different hand positions to different synths would have some good creative uses.

One thing mine has is a volume envelope tied to the note played. You can bind that envelope to synth params to get some expressive results (adjusting the envelope filter with string decay for example).

Rapture can send each string to a separate 'processor'? or channel so that you can get stereo spread based on the string, for example. Alternatively, you could have different synth sounds for different strings.

I know that Craig Anderton is working on a set of 'guitar' Rapture sounds. The 'guitar' rapture set he sells currently is designed to help keyboards sound like guitars.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
JohnoL
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 241
Re: Fishman TriplePlay guitar midi controller 2015/01/30 12:45:39 (permalink)
The v guitar forum has a lot of midi guitar stuff and a sub forum for the FTP.
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/
ChrisMat
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Fishman TriplePlay guitar midi controller 2017/12/18 08:53:04 (permalink)
I use FTP with sonar, much better on the guitar than on the keyboard, it is a precious help for me. but for the moment in mode VST I do not have a sound with kontakt. the other libraries work. as midi controller (FTP selected as a midi device) it's works
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1