Helpful ReplyNorway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy

Author
MandolinPicker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
2015/01/28 17:21:13 (permalink)

Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy

Interesting article over at Business Insider. Seems streaming music has all but eliminated music piracy in Norway.

"In five years, the number of people admitting to illegally downloading files online has gone from 80% of survey respondents to just 4%. The survey also revealed that less than 1% of young people in Norway said illegal downloads were their main source of music."

More at http://www.businessinsider.com/norway-music-piracy-statistics-2015-1

The Mandolin Picker
"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 18:11:45 (permalink)
That's one way of putting it... And I guess that once artists completely give up on the idea of making any money w/ their music, the problem will entirely be solved.

Here's another interesting one which helps put things in perspective and see just how much streaming really means in terms of revenue...

http://www.theguardian.co...potify-youtube-payouts

In short: "92% of her income last year came from sales – $75,341 – with a further $6,380 coming from streaming services."

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Rain
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 18:15:51 (permalink)
Further reading in regards to streaming, in this case YouTube...
http://www.billboard.com/...-on-her-youtube-battle

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 18:27:02 (permalink)
I will never warm to a service that expects me to listen to music on my frickin' telephone.

But then, I don't steal music either, so I guess I'm not part of the target demographic. Come to think of it, I'm not part of any target demographic - aside from AARP's constant come-ons to join in return for a free bag.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 18:59:34 (permalink)
Rain
That's one way of putting it... And I guess that once artists completely give up on the idea of making any money w/ their music, the problem will entirely be solved.

+1
Sucks..

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 19:17:26 (permalink)
That's why I only "steam" my music. That way it's always hot AND wrinkle free!

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 20:01:04 (permalink)
I still purchase CDs and DVDs ...from stores

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 20:07:09 (permalink)
musicman100
I still purchase CDs and DVDs ...from stores

Which do you prefer?
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 21:21:28 (permalink)
Somewhat of a catch 22 for artists.  The payout from streaming services is fairly modest at best and shockingly low at worst.  At the same time, it kind of hammers the reality home that artists make jack on record sales.  Always has been that way. At the same time streaming services (and i am including Youtube) are giving artists more options for getting their music heard outside of the Clear Channel Monopoly on radio stations and the few remaining record labels. The number of unsigned artists who are better off remaining unsigned is growing and are makin more money off of successful viral marketing than all but the top acts could ever hope to make from  CDsl.
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 21:28:35 (permalink)
Most bands would make less money if there was no streaming. I think it's a great thing. There is more great music now than ever before. more variety , more talented players, better recording, etc etc. Embrace it or stick you head in the sand.
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 21:37:20 (permalink)
Can I just stick my head into shrimp and cheese grits in dark roux instead? Don't think I'd have a problem with that.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 22:48:36 (permalink)
I use my 80GB iPod classic a lot when I am traveling but anything that requires I have an Internet connection to listen to music is pretty useless to me. I worry that at some point streaming will be the only way.

I was buying downloads for a while but I have mostly gone back to buying CDs. I like to own a tangible product.

I remember paying three or four pounds for an album back in the 70's. As a student I had to save up to buy one. I 40 years the price has tripled. By contrast another student staple, a pint of beer is around 20 times what it was in the early 70's Taking inflation into account an album is the cheapest it has ever been.

And I  (we) considered "In The Court of the Crimson King", "Grave New World", "Close to The Edge" and "Tarkus" etc to be worth several weeks disposable income each. Times have changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2015/01/28 22:55:24

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 22:57:17 (permalink)
bitflipper
I will never warm to a service that expects me to listen to music on my frickin' telephone.

You don't have to listen on your phone. Spotify, for example, comes as a desktop app and a phone app. There is nothing wrong with listening to music on your phone by the way, it's exactly the same as listening on an iPod (or Discman or Walkman for that matter). The quality is not degraded in the slightest. With the Spotify phone app, you can either stream in real time with your cellphone connection or you can download your playlists via WiFi onto your phone to listen to them even when you're not connected (and thus save your monthly data quota). I have a 64GB iPhone with hundreds of tracks on it courtesy of Spotify. The bitrate is 320kbps, excellent quality. I'm not going to pretend that the quality is the same as listening through my RME interface on my ATH-M50's, but I also have a pair of cheaper Audio Technica cans which I use for the gym, and the sound quality is better than any Walkman or Discman I ever owned. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 22:57:57 (permalink)
bitflipper

I understand, but have you ever plugged any good ear buds...or IEM into a phone to at least get it out of the "transistor radio" category? 
Dang, you can't even buy a decent stereo nowadays anyway, much less speakers unless you want some stooped tower suckers that are silly expensive.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

sharke
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 23:04:03 (permalink)
Rain

Here's another interesting one which helps put things in perspective and see just how much streaming really means in terms of revenue...

In short: "92% of her income last year came from sales – $75,341 – with a further $6,380 coming from streaming services."

But to put things in perspective again, you'd have to factor in what percentage of the music-consuming public is streaming. I think there are around 60 million Spotify users worldwide. What percentage of music listeners is this? It has to be less than 5%. I should think Spotify accounts for the vast majority of streams. I just don't understand why artists are expecting to make as much as they did from CD sales from what amounts to a tiny percentage of the CD market. 

The link you posted doesn't seem to work for me so I can't read the Guardian article, but from the figures you quoted it would seem that this person's streaming income accounts for around 8% of her income (I'm too lazy to do the math properly). Well, that seems about right given how few people, relatively people, are streaming their music. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
sharke
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/28 23:06:23 (permalink)
mixmkr
bitflipper

I understand, but have you ever plugged any good ear buds...or IEM into a phone to at least get it out of the "transistor radio" category? 
Dang, you can't even buy a decent stereo nowadays anyway, much less speakers unless you want some stooped tower suckers that are silly expensive.

I have to say, I've listened to some pretty sweet "audiophile" rigs in my time, but my Equator Audios (before a power surge blew 'em ) paired with ARC2 and my RME Babyface sound better than them all. I really mean that. 

James
Rain
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/29 02:28:44 (permalink)
sharke
Rain

But to put things in perspective again, you'd have to factor in what percentage of the music-consuming public is streaming. I think there are around 60 million Spotify users worldwide. What percentage of music listeners is this? It has to be less than 5%. I should think Spotify accounts for the vast majority of streams. I just don't understand why artists are expecting to make as much as they did from CD sales from what amounts to a tiny percentage of the CD market. 

The link you posted doesn't seem to work for me so I can't read the Guardian article, but from the figures you quoted it would seem that this person's streaming income accounts for around 8% of her income (I'm too lazy to do the math properly). Well, that seems about right given how few people, relatively people, are streaming their music. 

Yeah, the link don't seem to work for whichever reason but it does work when I access it via history.

"
Keating’s biggest source of income last year was Apple’s iTunes Store, where sales of 32,170 single tracks and 3,862 albums netted her just over $38,195.

Meanwhile, 185 tracks and 2,899 albums sold through her profile on direct-to-fan site Bandcamp earned a further $25,575, while a mixture of physical and MP3 sales on Amazon earned her a further $11,571.

403,035 Spotify streams earned Keating $1,764, while more than 1.9m views of videos on YouTube – mostly those uploaded by other people featuring her music – earned her $1,248.

US personal radio service Pandora generated $3,258 of royalties – but from an undisclosed number of streams.
Keating also notched up 266,331 streams on SoundCloud and 222,226 streams on her Bandcamp site, neither of which generated royalties for her."

sharke
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/29 10:31:06 (permalink)
Rain

Yeah, the link don't seem to work for whichever reason but it does work when I access it via history.

"
Keating’s biggest source of income last year was Apple’s iTunes Store, where sales of 32,170 single tracks and 3,862 albums netted her just over $38,195.

Meanwhile, 185 tracks and 2,899 albums sold through her profile on direct-to-fan site Bandcamp earned a further $25,575, while a mixture of physical and MP3 sales on Amazon earned her a further $11,571.

403,035 Spotify streams earned Keating $1,764, while more than 1.9m views of videos on YouTube – mostly those uploaded by other people featuring her music – earned her $1,248.

US personal radio service Pandora generated $3,258 of royalties – but from an undisclosed number of streams.
Keating also notched up 266,331 streams on SoundCloud and 222,226 streams on her Bandcamp site, neither of which generated royalties for her."

I think where people go wrong is in comparing streaming numbers with sales and having this expectation that the figures have some kind of relationship with each other. A stream is best compared to the audience for a radio broadcast than the sale of a CD. I'm not sure how much anyone should expect to get from a single listen of a track. I did read a breakdown of the figures in comparison to radio royalties - can't find the link but I seem to remember a Spotify stream royalty earning something like 15 times more than the royalty payment per radio listener.

Think of it like this: take an album that you've listened to on a regular basis for years. Divide the price you paid for that album by the number of tracks on it. Then divide that number by the approximate number of times you've listened to it (I know this is all guesswork but I don't think it's a stretch to say that you've listened to some of your favorite albums more than 100 times over the years). Does that seem like a fair price "per listen"? How does it compare to a Spotify stream payment?

One thing you have to remember with the streaming model is that artists are not going to get their money quickly. They'll earn money from fans slowly over the lifespan of that record, i.e. as long as the fan keeps listening to it. And of course, the more good tracks there are on an album, the more they're going to make. Gone are the days when artists got advances of hundreds of thousands of dollars for CD's which were sold on the basis of one or two great tracks and which were padded out with crappy filler tracks which didn't get listened to. There is now a huge incentive to write top quality songs that fans will listen to over and over, and to fill albums with those songs.

James
Rain
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/29 15:10:06 (permalink)
I see what you mean and I guess there's no arguing in terms of paradigm shift, and that there is no going back.

As objectively as possible though, I'd still point out a major difference between traditional broadcasting and streaming. The minute you can listen to anything you want, anytime, you're basically given the same access to the material as you would if you'd bought it. There is virtually no reason to buy a CD.

Whereas traditional broadcast was still more of a promotional tool.

I remember being a kid and sitting through one hour of videos on late friday nights to have a chance to catch one video by Scorpions or Motley Crue - occasionally...

The scarcity of it meant that if those band put out a VHS, we'd buy it in order to be able to decide when and where we wanted to listen. Streaming annihilated that concept. The promotion tool became the product, and music was left behind.

MandolinPicker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/29 17:04:29 (permalink)
dubdisciple
At the same time streaming services (and i am including Youtube) are giving artists more options for getting their music heard outside of the Clear Channel Monopoly on radio stations and the few remaining record labels.

Looks like Google (that owns and operates YouTube) is no longer following their motto "Do No Evil" is now taking lessons from their cohorts in the record industry. Their recent 'take it or leave it' contracts with artists on the stream service do not appear to have the artists interest at heart.

More here
http://pando.com/2015/01/...reators-that-built-it/

The Mandolin Picker
"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
Rain
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/29 17:36:59 (permalink)
It's a wonderful age to get your music out there and get a chance to be heard. The thing is that,more and more, being heard is all that you get. There's practically nowhere to go from there on.

Back home in Quebec, veteran singers are often left with no option but to participate in contests like The Voice because the media are pumping out dozens of new singers and celebrities every year with no regard for the over saturated market.

In many cases, those shows are no longer a mean but an end. 

The funny thing is that a large portion of the public bashes those professional singers, assuming that they are established and earn a living. 

If you ask me, the old way wasn't perfect but it still allowed a lot more people to earn a living. And even though a bunch of execs were left to decide who would be signed, there were still 100 more options and more diversity than the current paradigm allows. 

Let's face it - even commercially successful mutli-platinum major label bands like Pink Floyd or U2 wouldn't even stand a chance to have any official exposure. There's no equivalent to an album-oriented label like Warner was in the early 70s, who'd invest time and money and try to develop an artist. It's all bubble-gum pop.

sharke
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/29 17:57:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2015/01/29 18:11:02
Rain
I see what you mean and I guess there's no arguing in terms of paradigm shift, and that there is no going back.

As objectively as possible though, I'd still point out a major difference between traditional broadcasting and streaming. The minute you can listen to anything you want, anytime, you're basically given the same access to the material as you would if you'd bought it. There is virtually no reason to buy a CD.

Whereas traditional broadcast was still more of a promotional tool.

I remember being a kid and sitting through one hour of videos on late friday nights to have a chance to catch one video by Scorpions or Motley Crue - occasionally...

The scarcity of it meant that if those band put out a VHS, we'd buy it in order to be able to decide when and where we wanted to listen. Streaming annihilated that concept. The promotion tool became the product, and music was left behind.

I agree, streaming has removed the need to buy CD's for many people. However I'm still not sold on the idea that streaming royalties are too low. Well maybe they could be a little higher. And I think in time, they'll end up a little higher. Personally I think $9.95/month for Spotify is too cheap for what you get. It's great that it is that cheap of course, but I think the price will rise in time to maybe $15 or $20. And the number of subscribers will grow and grow. There aren't nearly enough subscribers at this time to make it a money spinner for anyone but the most successful artists (I think I read somewhere that Daft Punk has made over $1million from streams of one song - Get Lucky).  But Spotify isn't responsible for the decline in CD sales - digital files are. As soon as it became possible to email bit-perfect copies of songs to your friends, piracy was always going to explode. There is little you can do about that. Streaming services like Spotify should be applauded for finding a way to monetize something which had effectively lost its value because of new technology.

James
Rain
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/29 18:19:50 (permalink)
It struck me at some point that we live in a pretty narcissistic period and that selling a cd to people just wasn't enough.

I vaguely imagined that maybe someday, artists would market custom music and mixes, get their audience to participate in the process. Because people want to be a part of it. People would pay a fee to have THEIR official mix of a pop song to put on their Facebook page, to get their 15 seconds of fame.

It was funny to read Bobby O.'s newsletter a few weeks later and to see him point out that people were now buying "an experience" - a meet and greet before the concert, to have their picture taken with the artist, and a signed cd. He also mentioned that PJ Harvey was selling virtual tickets to attend the recording sessions of her new album.

In the end, whatever you do as an artist, you need to offer something that people can be a part of.

I do find it disheartening but I'm still hoping that something else and greater can survive besides, something that's about art and not simple self-promotion.

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Norway Has Figured Out How To Solve The Problem Of Music Piracy 2015/01/29 18:33:37 (permalink)
MandolinPicker
Interesting article over at Business Insider. Seems streaming music has all but eliminated music piracy in Norway.

"In five years, the number of people admitting to illegally downloading files online has gone from 80% of survey respondents to just 4%. The survey also revealed that less than 1% of young people in Norway said illegal downloads were their main source of music."

More at http://www.businessinsider.com/norway-music-piracy-statistics-2015-1

.... or at least eliminating the possibility of admitting it.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1