Helpful ReplyMidi controller (keyless) to work with Sonar

Author
ULTRABRA
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 484
2015/01/29 05:12:32 (permalink)

Midi controller (keyless) to work with Sonar

I'm looking for a keyless midi controller, as an alternative to a midi keyboard with sliders/knobs etc (which I got some good options on another thread).   It seems difficult go find a quality 88 key midi keyboard, which has the sliders/knobs but there are options for 88 key midi keyboards which DON'T have the sliders/knobs, but that would mean getting a seperate keyless controller.
I was looking at a Nektar Panorama P1 (http://www.nektartech.com/PRODUCTS/Panorama-P1) but this says it works only with Cubase and Reason.
Has anyone any suggestions that will play well with Sonar?
post edited by ULTRABRA - 2015/01/29 06:06:18

HP Z420, Intel Xeon E5-1620@ 3600MHz, 8GB RAM,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 24, & Sonar : Producer X3    
My Soundcloud
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Midi controller (keyless) to work with Sonar 2015/01/29 08:30:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ULTRABRA 2015/01/29 09:33:47
The situation with controllers and SONAR is the following:

There are controllers with native SONAR support (always mentioned explicitly, they have dedicated SONAR plug-in coming with them):
* Roland keyboards (with keys...) and combined solution (deprecated) VS-700.
* Nektar Impakt (but not Panorama, there was several threads about that), also with keys
* Novation products with Automap. Some people like them (and Automap), other hate the hardware part, Automap or both... There are keyless controllers and they can be used for mixing and VSTs.
* Mackie (MCU,XT,C4) and "Mackie compatible". Can be used for mixing (strips control) and for effects. MCU does not support ACT, so you can not control Synth with it. Compatible devices can bit tricky to configure (since they are not 100% compatible).

ALL other controllers are effectively equal from SONAR point of view. They are configured in ACT MIDI and/or Generic Surface (standard SONAR) plug-ins. See chapter 40 of SONAR Reference Guide. ACT MIDI support 8 sliders, 8 encoders and 9 buttons. More controls can be used when combined with Generic Surface plug-in, but there are caveats. In general, these plug-ins do not support any kind of feedback (no motorized faders, no rings on endless encoders, no LEDs for buttons, no displays).

As you can see, in case you want control Synth in SONAR, the choice is limited. You either dive into "paradise"/"nightmare" of Automap or use "simple" controllers without feedback.

Well, there is one more option: you either can write your own plug-in for you controller of choice (CW API is open source) or hope someone else writes it for you (up to now there are 2 projects: one for MCU compatible devices and one universal).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
ULTRABRA
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 484
Re: Midi controller (keyless) to work with Sonar 2015/01/29 09:28:42 (permalink)
Thank you, that's really helpful.

HP Z420, Intel Xeon E5-1620@ 3600MHz, 8GB RAM,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 24, & Sonar : Producer X3    
My Soundcloud
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1