AnsweredSome Basic Sonar Needs

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 10:51:25 (permalink)
microapp
Anderton
microapp
Anderton
The only drawback I've found is that SONAR is very picky about its Windows environment. Its code has hooks deep into the operating system, which is one reason why a Mac version will probably never appear (although of course, it runs great under Boot Camp). To SONAR, a Windows computer is like a combination lock - when all the tumblers are in place, it opens up. But that's why this forum is so great - because odds are someone has experienced whatever problem you have, and can offer a solution or a workaround.

There's a reason why this forum is considered one of SONAR's outstanding "features"!

Craig,
You make it sound like Sonar's pickyness is a feature. 

Not sure if that's meant as humor or not...if it was humor, I apologize but if you meant it, i called the pickyness a "drawback" and said "But that's why this forum is so great - because odds are someone has experienced whatever problem you have, and can offer a solution or a workaround. There's a reason why this forum is considered one of SONAR's outstanding 'features'!"

It's the FORUM that's the outstanding feature. That's you guyz 

It was meant to illustrate something serious in a humorous way.
Yes, you say the pickyness is a drawback, then you blame it on Windows

I did not "blame" it on Windows. I said "To SONAR, a Windows computer is like a combination lock - when all the tumblers are in place, it opens up." Those "tumblers" are things like turning off wi-fi, not exceeding the MIDI port limit, having the requisite C++ libraries, disabling unneeded services that impact real-time audio streaming, updating graphics card drivers, etc. That's not "blaming" Windows. 

Previously I said I felt some of SONAR's instabilities were due to interactions with Windows and drivers (e.g., the HD Audio driver and such). That's not blaming Windows/drivers or SONAR, but the interaction between the two - which could be either one or both.

I don't really think interfacing with audio drivers is deep hooks into the OS even with kernel mode drivers. The very fact that there are drivers in WIndows is to prevent needing hooks deep into the OS.
This seems to imply that Sonar has some kind of secret OS sauce that if applied correctly will yield superior results.

I said nothing about audio drivers and did not imply "SONAR has some kind of secret OS sauce." I simply said your Windows environment has to be optimized for SONAR to be stable. I don't see how any rational person could disagree with that. Think of all the posts in this forum where people claim that "SONAR crashes all the time!!!" and then someone points out a tweak that fixes it. That is the basis of my comment regarding why this forum is so great. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 11:00:14 (permalink)
Beepster
The one thing I like about Craig being involved with Gibson and thus indirectly with Cakewalk is that he's pretty blunt about it's shortcomings and the stability weirdness is one that I've seen him acknowledge on multiple occasions (which I think he has done again here).

For the record, I've started several threads about stability issues I've experienced to see if others experienced them as well, or whether the issue was system-specific. The recent one on the VX-64 comes to mind and one on ProChannel issues. The reason for doing this is that if it is an actual issue, others chime in and sometimes, provide recipes to reproduce. I can then summarize this material and send it to the Bakers. Several fixes have occurred specifically because of this co-operative approach to identifying bugs.

Just last week, Sylvan posted about the Melodyne bug. I tested and confirmed in the thread. Noel took the data in that thread. The weekend before NAMM, he created four builds in quick succession. When I tested #4, the bug had been fixed and a patch was released shortly thereafter (see, the new model DOES work!). 

Pretending bugs don't exist provides no benefit to Cakewalk. Identifying and most importantly, being able to reproduce them does. The goal is not to cover up bugs; the goal is stable software with minimal bugs.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
microapp
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 653
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 11:10:10 (permalink)
Beepster,
I too hope the Gibson thing works. I also hope the new development paradigm works. For this it is too early to tell.
For Platinum, I don't see much difference from the old paradigm. Looks like new features are about as buggy as in the X3 initial release. It will take a few updates to tell if the new way is better.

I would like to see a bug fix/ features list for Platinum. If it takes much longer to provide this , we will have another update before we know what was in the last one.
If you follow the posts , it looks like they did something to MIDI since a lot of folks are having to increase the 'prepare using'  setting to fix dropped MIDI notes.
From my own experience, something was done to Sonar's window functionality since there are differences from X3E.
This may be part of the re-use plugin feature. It is not broken it just works differently.

Sonar Platinum, Cubase Pro 8.5, Reaper 5, Studio One 2
Melodyne Studio 4, Finale 2012
I7-5820K 4.5GHz, 32 GB DDR4-2800,3 monitors,Win 10 Pro
Toshiba P75-A7100,l7-4900 2.4 Ghz/8MB Win 8.1 Pro
Tascam FW-1884, Emu 0404USB, CMC-AI,Axiom 61
Yamaha HS-50's, Sony SA-W2500, Sennheiser RS170's, ATH-M50
Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Jackson DK2-S(Sustainiac),Les Paul Custom
Digitech Valve-FX, GFX-1,TSR-24,RP-90
Anderton
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 11:13:05 (permalink)
microapp
Beep,
I have the utmost respect for both you and Craig.
But seriously, it is Craig's gig to some extent manage us and try to put a positive spin on anything that begins to trend negative.

This is true if in my opinion the negativity is unwarranted. But if in my opinion it is warranted, then I confirm the issue and pass the info along to the Bakers or if it's too nebulous, try to reproduce it myself.

And the same issue can display both elements. For example I think the complaints about bugs in staff view are warranted, have said so publicly, have brought it up with the Bakers, and encouraged them to fix any SV bugs. BUT I think the comments that Cakewalk has contempt toward the minority of users to whom notation is important are completely unwarranted. (Or, someone saying that SV is never brought up in design meetings is totally unwarranted because it's baseless speculation that is not true.) I do think that my knowing the "behind the scenes" decision-making process helps me present a more objective viewpoint on what's happening.

I think too that he has a personal stake in seeing this Gibson/Cake thing work since it is kinda his baby and that is only natural and certainly understandable.

That is absolutely correct. I want this to succeed. Actually I want Cakewalk to take over the world. BUT that doesn't happen by having buggy software or dumb features. Everybody involved in SONAR, whether as a user or a Cakewalk employee, wants the same thing: the most kick-ass DAW on the planet. So we ALL have a personal stake in seeing this Gibson/Cake thing work.

Anderton
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 11:18:35 (permalink)
Beepster
I don't know what the heck Roland was up to but as soon as they were out of the picture it was like night and day on so many levels.

Again, let me emphasize Roland is a fine company with people who meant well with Cakewalk. I think it was mostly an issue of Roland's expertise being in hardware rather than software. You might say Gibson's expertise is not in software either, but as Henry is a long-time Cakewalk user (since DOS days) he was intimately familiar with the program and saw its potential. Gibson is just a better "fit," and that's what makes the difference. 

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 11:23:59 (permalink)
microapp
Beepster,
I too hope the Gibson thing works. I also hope the new development paradigm works. For this it is too early to tell.
For Platinum, I don't see much difference from the old paradigm. Looks like new features are about as buggy as in the X3 initial release. It will take a few updates to tell if the new way is better.

I would like to see a bug fix/ features list for Platinum. If it takes much longer to provide this , we will have another update before we know what was in the last one.
If you follow the posts , it looks like they did something to MIDI since a lot of folks are having to increase the 'prepare using'  setting to fix dropped MIDI notes.
From my own experience, something was done to Sonar's window functionality since there are differences from X3E.
This may be part of the re-use plugin feature. It is not broken it just works differently.

No, I think you;re wrong here.
My interpretation is that a lot of the new installs have been made at the default setting of 250ms whereas most of us know of the problem and have been running at a setting 1000

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 11:24:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joel77 2015/01/29 11:41:47
Anderton
 I said nothing about audio drivers and did not imply "SONAR has some kind of secret OS sauce." I simply said your Windows environment has to be optimized for SONAR to be stable. I don't see how any rational person could disagree with that. Think of all the posts in this forum where people claim that "SONAR crashes all the time!!!" and then someone points out a tweak that fixes it. That is the basis of my comment regarding why this forum is so great. 

Story time...

My old DAW was getting old and I had essentially nothing as far as virtual instruments. I always just recorded myself and my bands and worked with the live tracks. I had to give all that up (bands, band room, my drums, most of my gear, etc) due to some unfortunate life crap. So for a whole year I researched the various DAWs to find out what they all offered because although I like my old DAW it was something crazy like $1700 to get the current version. Considering Sonar had all the instruments I needed to write and by all accounts it COULD be stable if you had a powerful enough system I decided that would be the best option. It was a gamble though but once I decided on it I then spent a whole pile of time researching computers for audio. I basically copied the parts list/specs of pro audio rigs being sold by the DAW building companies (I could not afford one of their rigs unfortunately). With some help from a tech friend of mine giving me advice I got a good list of hardware for the rig, ordered it and built my first system (seriously I had NEVER built a computer before and had hardly even done any physical repairs on one). Somehow I managed to get it all slapped together and working. I went through the lengthy process of installing Sonar (which was confusing as heck to n00b like me) and at the end of it all was so excited to get her fired up and start poking around.

So my intent was to use my old PCI/breakout box interface. I made sure I bought a MOBO that had a legacy PCI slot specifically to accomodate it. So I started goofing around with some stuff (I recorded a little bit of guitar, drug in some audio loops, played around with the ProChannel EQ, etc). I was getting just HORRIBLE crackles and dropouts. I was completely gutted by all this. After all that work and expense I had a useless system which made me feel useless.

Completely depressed, defeated and deflated I logged into the forum which I had just signed up for (in fact that may have been my first post ever but I think I did go to the CH first to introduce myself). I explained what was happening as best I could and within 5-10 minutes I had John, Chuckebaby and some other fine fellows popping in offering advice.

They told me about the Bridged vs. Native issue for legacy PCI slots and how it can screw with audio (which I was peeved about because I thought I had been being REALLY careful with my choice of MOBO), explained some stuff about USB/FW interfaces and made some recommendations as well as telling me about buffer settings. Someone also turned me on to system optimization.

After some looking around I decided to get a Focusrite Scarlett (one of the recomendations) and had it in my hands the next week. Worked perfectly (and still does), no more crackles or dropouts without even changing my settings.

I also eventually did some optimization stuff after a while and got into the habit of messing with my interface buffers. After that I could even use my old PCI interface with no problem.

So literally from sheer suicidal depression over my failure to getting extremely helpful advice within minutes of posting that solved my problems.

I shudder to think what would have happened if this place hadn't been here.
microapp
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 11:31:47 (permalink)
Jonesy,
If 250 is default you are probably correct.
If I remember in X3 the default was 500 and I had to go to 999.
On my system, this value carried over from X3 so I never saw 250.
Not sure if the 3 or 4 people  with dropped MIDI notes did a clean install or not.
Either way, why would they change the default to 250 ?

But then again you have this
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3161752
post edited by microapp - 2015/01/29 11:50:13

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Drone7
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 199
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 11:56:52 (permalink)
Anderton
And yes, SONAR is not perfect in terms of stability. But sadly, neither are any of the other programs I own, and I suspect a lot has to do with Windows and driver interactions. 

Agreed. Windows is the biggest fu_k-up i have dealt with since brown bread, and windows even disagrees many times with perfectly fine drivers and apps. The amount of grief and anxiety and loss of money and time that Windows has caused worldwide simply beggars belief.
Quite frankly Microsoft should have been sued a hell of a long time ago for causing mass destruction to the minds and emotions of mankind. And even to this day Microsoft still haven't mended the error of their way and have no intention of doing so. The code and design of the Windows 'registry' is the culprit, it's scarier than the dark web and is a total enigma. That would explain why 90% of people who make music use a Mac.

The Mac doesn't have a registry to get corrupted. Microsoft persist with the registry paradigm simply for dweebs and four-eyed twits and geeks and obsessive compulsives and people with no life. Microsoft is utterly despicable. Their company should be banned by the US constitution for crimes against humanity LOL.

I know a coder/programmer who had to go into the windows registry and make some modifications for proprietary apps etc, and when he saw the depths and craft and state of the Windows registry he simply couldn't believe what he found down there, he simply couldn't believe the state of it, IT WAS A MESS! Even on a so-called fully functional in-shape system.

No DAW or software is safe running on Windows. Microsoft is the most defiant negligent ignorant ****ed stubborn pigheaded useless company on the face of the planet. True story. Someone had to say it...

microapp
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 11:59:45 (permalink)

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
microapp
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 12:04:27 (permalink)
Drone7
Anderton
And yes, SONAR is not perfect in terms of stability. But sadly, neither are any of the other programs I own, and I suspect a lot has to do with Windows and driver interactions. 

Agreed. Windows is the biggest fu_k-up i have dealt with since brown bread, and windows even disagrees many times with perfectly fine drivers and apps. The amount of grief and anxiety and loss of money and time that Windows has caused worldwide simply beggars belief.
Quite frankly Microsoft should have been sued a hell of a long time ago for causing mass destruction to the minds and emotions of mankind. And even to this day Microsoft still haven't mended the error of their way and have no intention of doing so. The code and design of the Windows 'registry' is the culprit, it's scarier than the dark web and is a total enigma. That would explain why 90% of people who make music use a Mac.

The Mac doesn't have a registry to get corrupted. Microsoft persist with the registry paradigm simply for dweebs and four-eyed twits and geeks and obsessive compulsives and people with no life. Microsoft is utterly de****able. Their company should be banned by the US constitution for crimes against humanity LOL.

I know a coder/programmer who had to go into the windows registry and make some modifications for proprietary apps etc, and when he saw the depths and craft and state of the Windows registry he simply couldn't believe what he found down there, he simply couldn't believe the state of it, IT WAS A MESS! Even on a so-called fully functional in-shape system.

No DAW or software is safe running on Windows. Microsoft is the most defiant negligent ignorant ****ed stubborn pigheaded useless company on the face of the planet. True story. Someone had to say it...

I can't argue with the anti-registry view. In my own programs I keep settings in a local .ini file.

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
microapp
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 23:06:01 (permalink)
Anderton

Just last week, Sylvan posted about the Melodyne bug. I tested and confirmed in the thread. Noel took the data in that thread. The weekend before NAMM, he created four builds in quick succession. When I tested #4, the bug had been fixed and a patch was released shortly thereafter (see, the new model DOES work!). 

First, one example proves nothing.
If anything it suggests the new model may not be working for the simple reason that something as important as Melodyne ARA support should not have been released with a major bug. And this was after 10 months since the last X3 update. Part of the new model  was  to be more reliable testing and many people took this statement to task  when it was first made.
In this case you have an example of the customer base acting as beta testers. and the reason the Melodyne bug was fixed ASAP was because it was SERIOUS.
Cake used to release hotfixes for this type of  bug. Install the hotfix for a particular issue if it affected you (at your own risk) and they would provide a more robust solution in the next update.
So Cake made 4 builds in rapid succession, you approved the last one that fixed that specific Melodyne issue. Was there any subsequent testing to see if the fix may have broken anything else ? 
This is your ' proof' the new paradigm works ?

I think this is the last of any design concept  type comments on my part. I am sure that folks in some parts will be pleased. If I can help someone with some issue I will. But discussing things like this post is completely pointless in this arena. 

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 23:10:12 (permalink)
Oh for heavens sake it's only been out a few weeks.. Stick with X3 a little longer if you are not liking it.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/29 23:26:56 (permalink)
microapp
.... But discussing things like this post is completely pointless in this arena. 

Finally, a tiny breath of reason amidst a storm of hot air.  

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Anderton
Re: Some Basic Sonar Needs 2015/01/30 02:09:47 (permalink)
microapp
Anderton

First, one example proves nothing.

It proves something about that one example, unless you're finding Melodyne issues that no one else is finding - I haven't seen this issue raised since the official "hard" launch. Besides, I didn't offer it as "proof" of anything. I cited an example where the new model did in fact work.

And BTW, there were intermittent Melodyne issues in X3e that haven't popped up in Platinum for me, so maybe they were fixed as well. Time will tell.

If anything it suggests the new model may not be working for the simple reason that something as important as Melodyne ARA support should not have been released with a major bug.

IIRC this was isolated when SONAR had gone out to 200 people in a soft launch. It was fixed before the hard launch.

Part of the new model  was  to be more reliable testing and many people took this statement to task when it was first made.

The Platinum update isn't an example of the new model. What was rolled out were multiple updates put into one big upgrade, as was done for X3 and is exactly what the new model wants to avoid. What was stated specifically about the new model was that introducing individual features and fixes to members would allow for faster testing and deployment. In the instance I cited, it happened as it was supposed to. Will it continue to happen this way in the future? We'll find out.

You said "Looks like new features are about as buggy as in the X3 initial release" which just underscores the issues of releasing multiple features all at the same time (assuming that you've accurately gauged the relative bugginess of the two versions, which remains to be seen). 

In this case you have an example of the customer base acting as beta testers

You could say that any time a bug is found by the customer base they are acting as beta testers because the bug wasn't caught during beta tests.

and the reason the Melodyne bug was fixed ASAP was because it was SERIOUS.

Is it not a good thing that a serious bug was identified, reproduced, fixed, and tested ASAP?

Cake used to release hotfixes for this type of  bug. Install the hotfix for a particular issue if it affected you (at your own risk) and they would provide a more robust solution in the next update.

I've addressed this previously. The hotfixes were a good idea but there were issues with implementing it. Part of the intent behind the "one at a time" model and the modular installer is to bring back the speed of hotfixes but hopefully without having to revisit it with a later fix.

So Cake made 4 builds in rapid succession, you approved the last one that fixed that specific Melodyne issue.

I said I TESTED it, as did many other people inside and outside of Cakewalk, so I don't understand why you extrapolated that into saying I APPROVED the fix. If I test something and it works, I can assure you no one at Cakewalk says "Well gee, I can guess we can all go home now, it worked for Craig." I help out as much as I can, but Cakewalk is just a fraction of what I do and the company makes the decisions, not me. 

Was there any subsequent testing to see if the fix may have broken anything else?

No, Cakewalk's policy is not to test anything further if some random tester says "hey, works for me!" So everyone at Cakewalk just sat around and drank margaritas until the software was released. 

Seriously, it was tested a whole helluva lot before the software went on sale officially. From what I understand, once they knew what to look for (it took a while to find the recipe that could reproduce the bug), it was pretty easy bug to fix and the dev team was quite confident it had been fixed prior to release. Apparently they were right.

This is your 'proof' the new paradigm works ?

No, this is you extrapolating my citing an instance where it worked to be "proof" that the new paradigm works. 

I think this is the last of any design concept  type comments on my part.

Comments are fine, but I have a problem with rhetorical questions based on misinterpretations of what I say. Now, it takes two to tango and it's totally possible, and maybe even likely, I'm not sufficiently clear in my writing. I try to be precise with my choice of words, but I'm not going to sweat over them for hours unless I'm authoring an article for a magazine or a book...it's an internet forum. However it's also possible you are seeing my words through a filter that does not accurately interpret what I'm writing. I think it's generally better to seek clarification first before making assumptions. If the rhetorical questions are an attempt to seek clarification, then I've done my best to provide answers.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1