OT: Something like HALION for Sonar?

Author
joden
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1263
2015/01/27 13:25:50 (permalink)

OT: Something like HALION for Sonar?

Just wondered if it would ever be possible for CW to come up with something like Halion (Steinberg)? It really has some truly authentic "bread and butter" sound emulations! SI and TTS-1 really do not come close.

Or is something like Halion only really possible because of the Yamaha connection?

24 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 13:43:08 (permalink)
    Dim Pro?

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    joden
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 14:10:25 (permalink)
    I've got Dim Pro...not close...for the "bread and butter" sounds I am talking about. Those ones that are in the Motif ROM that have been ported to Halion, so I am told.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 14:38:07 (permalink)
    Halion is available for around $350, Native Instruments' Kontakt for around $400 ,and MOTU MachFive for around $260. For Cakewalk to spend the effort required to create a plug-in up the standards these instruments have set would increase SONAR's price dramatically. The beauty of plug-ins is that you have a choice on how to accessorize your core DAW.

That said, there are expansion packs for Dim Pro and even though Kontakt is my "main squeeze" for samplers, don't overlook what Dim Pro can do. I have many tracks where Dim Pro came through when others didn't.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 14:58:57 (permalink)
    Yeah a dedicated sampler plugin for SONAR would be a huge undertaking in order for it to be competitive with the big boys out there...and since the big boys are already out there why bother? Sheesh I wouldn't want to be trying to come up with a "Kontakt-killer" sampler plugin when there's a whole DAW to continue maintaining. It's not like Native Instruments is also supporting their own DAW application, for example.

That said, I miss VSampler. That was a very useful and intuitive sampler that had enough power features to make it my go-to. It's patch-browsing and envelope tools were great back in the day.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Sidroe
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1954
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 15:52:29 (permalink)
    VSampler will be sorely missed since he shutdown this month. I always hoped that he would eventually come out with a 64 bit version but it's gone now. R.I.P.

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
    gbar
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 16:03:00 (permalink)
    Anderton
    Halion is available for around $350, Native Instruments' Kontakt for around $400 ,and MOTU MachFive for around $260. For Cakewalk to spend the effort required to create a plug-in up the standards these instruments have set would increase SONAR's price dramatically. The beauty of plug-ins is that you have a choice on how to accessorize your core DAW.

That said, there are expansion packs for Dim Pro and even though Kontakt is my "main squeeze" for samplers, don't overlook what Dim Pro can do. I have many tracks where Dim Pro came through when others didn't.

Totally agree on Kontakt.  I have more than 4 grand tied up in Kontakt Libraries like many people, so that's a wide moat, IMO.

That being said, I sometimes find uses for Rapture or Dimension Pro.
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 16:07:06 (permalink)
    I think if Sonar were to introduce a sampler , it would need to be so tightly interwoven with Sonar that it made ease of use offset any power advantages of more established products. Using the sampler on a basic level in Logic, Fl Studio or Ableton is very intuitive versus third party solutions. Creating advanced multi-sample intruments with proper articulation is a challenge on any sampler for the novice, but that is already the case.  If it is simply another rompler with some sample manipulation features, like an expanded Dim Pro, it will just result in status quo.
    joden
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 17:47:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input. I used to own a Motif synth, and I was told that Halion actually uses the same ROM sounds found in that line, so it wasn't really about a "sampler" pers se, but more about getting access to all those sounds again.

But @Craig A - yeah I hear what you are saying, and I guess $350 is okay for Halion, however afaik it ONLY runs in Cubase...hence the OP question.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 17:56:52 (permalink)
    I don't think it requires Cubase, just a VST2/3 host see https://www.steinberg.net...c/specs_downloads.html
    TD75
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 18:18:41 (permalink)
    scook
    I don't think it requires Cubase, just a VST2/3 host see https://www.steinberg.net...c/specs_downloads.html

It doesn't. I have Halion Sonic 2 and run it in Sonar quite a bit. It's a good synth.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64-bit OS, Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 2.93GHz, 8 GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, MCU Pro, Alesis Q49, Oxygen 25.
    joden
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 18:37:43 (permalink)
    Cool thanks scook and TD75 - I will check it out further...does it need a USB dongle to run?

@TD75  does it indeed have the guitars and basses from the motif line?
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 18:57:55 (permalink)
     Kontakt is the best investment.  Why waste time with the others. 

BTW I do believe there was a sampler in Project 5.  VSampler is still a great sampler for it's age. It had an auto loop function.
    TD75
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 19:00:01 (permalink)
    joden
    Cool thanks scook and TD75 - I will check it out further...does it need a USB dongle to run?

@TD75  does it indeed have the guitars and basses from the motif line?

It does require an eLicenser to run - I bought the Absolute VST instrument collection (for no much more than the price of Halion Sonic 2 itself) and it came with an eLicenser included.  Regarding the guitars and basses - I'm not that familiar with the motif line to be of help here.  I did look at the packaging and website to see if it was stated and most I could find was that Halion is based of Yamaha's motif technology - none of the included sound patches list motif in their name.  Sorry I can't be of further assistance.  Hope that helps.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64-bit OS, Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 2.93GHz, 8 GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, MCU Pro, Alesis Q49, Oxygen 25.
    joden
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 19:58:36 (permalink)
    No probs TD what you have advised does help - I might send an e to Steinberg. e-licensing is okay...I just loathe dongles (and iLok in particular!!!)

@Kitecrazy, thanks but I already have tried Kontakt, I don't like it much to be honest (not the sound so much..... more how it all works) plus it is uber expensive to go into with no upgrade/crossgrade paths.
    matt fresha
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/27 20:47:00 (permalink)
    TD75It does require an eLicenser to run - I bought the Absolute VST instrument collection (for no much more than the price of Halion Sonic 2 itself) and it came with an eLicenser included.

It needs to be noted right now that Halion Sonic 2 by itself DOES NOT include the dongle. That's what I'm assuming since I bought the first one and it didn't come it. The cool part is that you can use you Halion Sonic 1/2 license with Hypersonic 2 (if you can find the installation files/discs). Hypersonic 2 is easily one of my all time favorite VSTi synths.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/29 10:48:12 (permalink)
    If you don't like DimPro try TTs is a general midi synth, tho I don't like its sounds.  It does work, tho.  Or Roland's Groove station or whatever it was called that came w/ P5 and later SONARs.  It is probably as close to what you are asking for and is a lot better sounding than TTS.

But it sounds like what you want is a hardware rompler.  You should have bought the VS-700 w/ the built-in Roland synth.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Moe Shinola
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 218
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/29 10:54:46 (permalink)
    You could check out the E-Mu soundsets for Dim Pro on digitalsoundfactory.com. I got the complete set for a hundred dollars a few years ago and I use it all the time, especially the PX-7 kits.

"Every man's ME is the dullest part of him."
    -William S, Burroughs

http://soundcloud.com/search?q[fulltext]=Moe+Shinola
    kakku
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1646
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/29 12:29:24 (permalink)
    You could also try Zampler. Although it is free it has some nice free sound libraries in the download page.
    http://www.zampler.de/

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
    kakku
    Soundblend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/29 15:15:20 (permalink)
    I owned Halion Sonic from steinberg, i also had the IK Multimedia Sampletank 3SE
    both is junk along with most of ( 85%) of emulations or synth's........not good enough
    nasty mids, lack of treble, detail , bad sample(s) and recording ( EQ, mic, image, frequency and so on )

Junk sound in +  ( EQ, compressor, Limiter and hours of work ) = better junk out ( but still junk )

I gave away both for free...

A test you can do is to take an instrument  and play it loud
    if you feel it is an unpleasant sound, and after a while even worse, then its no good.
    ( our ears is one of the finest instrument's there is )

When you can listen to an instrument at louder volume for some time
    and after a while still like the sound, then it's all good. 

A song / mix ( this should be enough )
    If the sounds used are good enough you can actually be satisfied
    by just adjusting the volume and pan all the tracks..... maybe with just a little eq
    like a band playing using a simple mixer.... and that's it.

Do we need to reach for EQ, compressor and tons of plugins to make " huge adjustments "
    then there's something wrong with the instruments, sound, technique or recording.
    start all over / redo the recording / use other instruments, mic's or whatever.

one of the usable " Instrument " that may be and is good enough
    is Native instrument Kontakt 5 sample player and the libraries there
    but it wont be cheap... we get what we pay for...

I want it myself, but can not afford it now.

I agree that cakewalk should make, a good GM Instrument within sonar
    that's good enough, so the user can release his song, sounding professional
    not midi or like child toys music instruments.

I buy less and less, now..... its mostly about money now these day's
    tons of product's at a mid ranged quality.. , but it wont help.

They actually made better sound in the earlier years , lets use Roland D-50 as an example
    old but excellent sound and detail, for many years. 
    post edited by Soundblend - 2015/01/29 16:40:42
    Soundblend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/29 16:57:09 (permalink)
    Vern C
    Hypersonic 2 is easily one of my all time favorite VSTi synths.

Your'e not the only one, i share the same opinion ( it need a better piano then )
    many others have the same opinion.

Better than Halion Sonic and Sampletank 3

Hey i got an idea, CAKEWALK BUY IT and put it in sonar  would be awesome
    and they could sell it as vst too, making huge amount of money. 
    or just keep it in sonar to sell more DAW's ;-)
    post edited by Soundblend - 2015/01/30 08:33:31
    Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/29 23:55:37 (permalink)
    I use Mach Five mainly these days - have you considered the Uvi engine (Mach Five is based on this), which is Free, then adding a "Bread and Butter" library such as Plug sound Pro?
    http://www.uvi.net/en/composer-tools/plugsound-pro.html

The MAXIMUM you would pay doing it this way is $149 - that's full retail - but there are often sales and if you purchased from Jrrshop you normally get a minimum of 15% discount.

Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

joden
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/30 00:37:48 (permalink)
    Thanks Bajan I will check it out.
    Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/30 02:18:22 (permalink)
    Joden
    No problem.
    The other thing I meant to ask is have you ever dealt with Steinberg before?
    If not, be VERY careful.
    I have personally had dreadful experiences with them - Cubase was one of the first fully featured DAWS I purchased - at the same time I purchased things like Groove Agent 1, and then subsequently paying for upgrades to versions 2 and 3, NONE of which ever worked correctly. A couple of synths I really liked that they just dropped and stopped supporting with little or no notice, D'Cota and Xphrase and of course they dropped over night The Virtual Guitarists,  Electric and Acoustic and Virtual Bass.
    So I have a large collection of unusable Stinkberg products that they simply walked away from.
    I stopped using Cubase and switched to Sonar permanently!!
    I mention this as I have no idea whether or not Stinkberg have ever cleaned up their act. Personally I doubt it......
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: OT: Something like HALION for Sonar? 2015/01/31 01:20:50 (permalink)
    The UVI player is free and worth a try. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1