Some simple but efficient improvements for the staff view

Author
ralf
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 205
2015/01/29 19:05:17 (permalink)
5 (5)

Some simple but efficient improvements for the staff view

There are already several threads about improvements for the staff view, so some of the following may already have been mentioned elsewhere. Nonetheless, I will give my own list because this is what I think would be needed most for the staff view. Also, I think most of these features are rather simple to implement from a technical point of view.

First of all, I don't expect the Staff View to become a full featured notation software. There are enough other products for this. But I want to be able to use the Staff View to transfer notes from staff music to midi notes in a precise and timely manner, and be able to proof read midi notes by comparing it to staff music.

1. A toolbar to select note length and some notations like signs quickly. This should work for both, changing the tool settings as well as editing selected notes.

2. An option for vertical grid lines on each beat (or other resolution, like in PRV) to help placing notes at the correct time.

3. Keys to hold while placing a single note (be it enter/move/copy) to include a sign.

4. For move/copy, the smart tool should work like the selection tool. Notes with a sign should keep their sign if they are not placed on a different line. Several selected notes should be moved/copied together.

5. Locking the pitch or position when moving/copying notes by holding shift (like in PRV).

6. Inserting clefs in the staff at any position (instead of changing the clef for the whole track only).

7. Having an octace clef 8va+. Or even better, to have 8va+ and 8va- (and 15va+/-) options independently of the actual clef.

8. A notation for staccato notes. Notating quarter staccato notes as staccato looks much more fluid than using eighth notes and eighth breaks alternating. Detection of staccoto from midi would be nice, but not strictly necessary if notation can be changed quickly by selecting the according notes and then clicking a button in the toolbar.

1 Reply Related Threads

ralf
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re: Some simple but efficient improvements for the staff view 2015/01/31 08:26:56 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    9. A tool to switch the sign. To switch for example from C# to Db with a single click. This is pretty useful when proof-reading midi recorded from playing staff music.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1