Kemper Profiling Amp

Author
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
2015/01/29 10:32:09 (permalink)

Kemper Profiling Amp

I'd been interested in the AXE-FX and Kemper for a while (had never played thru one)... but was resigned to mic'ing tube amps for recording & live playing... as nothing gave the same sound/feel.  Certainly didn't want to spend $2k+ to realize it was yet another "poor imitation" of the real thing.

My wife's maiden name is Kemper...
She's on the morning show of the local Classic-Rock station... so all the local musicians know her.
Kemper (recently) released the controller pedal... and a couple of guitar players were teasing me.
"You need this to control your Kemper."  
Ironically, this got me thinking... 

The Kemper is expensive, but when I started to factor in live use, studio use, and the fact that it made recording guitar *and* bass so easy (with a much smaller physical foot-print)... it was something I had to checkout.
Talked to a local guitar player who's been using the Kemper live... and he's very pleased with it.

One of the better local audio engineers chimed in and mentioned the Kemper sounds good running direct to FOH.
On stage, I could use a powered-wedge (much lighter than the 2x12 over-sized guitar cab I'd been using).
With In-Ear monitors, I could get by without any guitar cab.  Less cartage and less clutter on stage.

Got the Kemper... and played thru some of the included Profiles.
Many of the included Profiles just aren't my type of tone.  They're not bad... just not my thing (Fender Twin, Bassman, etc).
Bridge Humbucker into a Mesa, Marshall, 5150, or Engl... and I'm set
Till's Mesa Profiles were some of my favorites.  Sounds and feels like playing thru the actual mic'd amp/cab.
Response to dynamics (and guitar volume) is like playing thru a tube amp.
The Kemper is a keeper (both the wife and Profiler)!  

Started profiling my own amps... and this is where it gets exciting (to me).
Profiled my bass rig... mic'd many different ways... and also nabbed some direct (no cab) Profiles.
The results are outstanding!  Recording bass with a great "amped up" sound is now simply plugin and play.
I'd been searching for a solution like this for the better part of a decade.

Next, I started profiling the 5150-III thru a 2x12 with vintage 30s (my live guitar rig).
It's easy to capture a good profile (good amp, cab, and quality mic/s positioned well), but the "refining" process took a while to figure out.  The refining process is where you play the guitar and the Profiler adjusts the profile to more closely respond like the original (dynamics/tone).  I finally figured out a combination of dynamic chords/chunks and single note runs that worked well.
To achieve consistent results, I recorded those bits (straight DI) into my DAW.  This way, the refining process is consistent.
When profiling, the Kemper sends out a set of test-tones thru your amp.  Note that the sounds aren't particularly pleasant.  
Interesting that the Kemper doesn't capture the sound of the room itself (impulse-response/ambiance) when profiling... so you'll have to experiment a bit with mic position.  Mic position affects tone... but not ambiance.
The Kemper has quality reverb and "air" (room ambiance) EFX, so it's not a show-stopper.
Oddly, the Kemper doesn't currently offer a "spring" type reverb.  I suspect that'll come in a Firmware update.
So how does it sound?  
Nearly identical in sound/response to the original mic'd amp.
Response to dynamics makes you forget you're not actually playing thru a tube amp.

I picked up a Yamaha DXR-12 powered-wedge to use with the Kemper.
700w continuous power... so it can keep up with a loud band.
Tried QSC K-12 (great speaker but huge hole in the mids) and EV ELX112P (only 250w continuous)
The EV sounded good... but just didn't have the power to keep up with a loud band.
The Yamaha DXR series may not wow you as a PA speaker, but it excels in this capacity FRFR (full range flat response).

Last rehearsal, I used a profile I created of the 5150/2x12 (running thru the DXR-12).
Sounds very similar to the original mic'd amp/cab (sound and response to playing).
So much so... that I don't even think about it.
The DXR-12 had no issue keeping up with the full band (plenty of headroom to spare).

To me, the coolest part of the Kemper is Profiling your amps/cabs (your sound).
As good as some of the included/optional profiles are... they're not your particular choices/sound.
Once you take the time/effort to profile your amps, you've got all those sounds ready to plug and play.
The Kemper isn't perfect, but it's so close that it's a non issue. 
When you factor in the versatility/convenience and quality of results, the Kemper's cost is reasonable (if not affordable).

Never saw a single Kemper in my life... let alone two!
But hey, Kemper works for me.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com

18 Replies Related Threads

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/29 13:20:55 (permalink)
    that hollywood game show, that jane lynch hosted.......

that guitar player for her band, used a kemper.

this, and the fractal, are the only two real players in the modeling world that seem to truly hold water.

very cool report.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/29 18:25:59 (permalink)
    DO they sell profile packs for these amps? I have access to a LOT of vintage amps, including many of the holy grail models. Would there be a market for libraries? Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Hiwatt, VOX, Supro, etc. You could make a library of classic rock amps for the best of everything.

I wonder how long it would take to pay for the amp?

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    Jeff M.
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/29 18:54:49 (permalink)
    Jim -
    The DXR-12 is a great (and popular) FRFR wedge  ...but ask around and see if you can test out an Atomic CLR powered wedge.
    Outstanding sound - super wide sweetspot!

Don't forget to swap out different cabs to get different flavors.
    I profiled my '82 JCM-800, but replacing the cabs really opens it up "absorbs" the cab/speaker character.

Haven't turned on the Marshall since I profiled it  

Platinum 64
    RME UCX | Studio Cat Platinum: i7 2700k @ 4.5Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 | Win 7 64
    Komplete Kontrol S61
    Gibson, Jackson, Parker, Suhr, Breedlove, Taylor, Lakland, Peavey, Marshall, Kemper
    Jeff M.
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/29 19:05:07 (permalink)
    ampfixer
    DO they sell profile packs for these amps?
    Would there be a market for libraries? 

Thriving market, actually.
    Just some of them out there:
    http://www.topjimi.com/

http://www.brickwall.pl/store/index.php

http://www.mbrittprofiles.com/profiles/index.html

http://www.soundside.de/shop/Profiles.htm

http://www.theampfactory.com/

Platinum 64
    RME UCX | Studio Cat Platinum: i7 2700k @ 4.5Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 | Win 7 64
    Komplete Kontrol S61
    Gibson, Jackson, Parker, Suhr, Breedlove, Taylor, Lakland, Peavey, Marshall, Kemper
    clintmartin
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3893
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/29 21:32:12 (permalink)
    Congrats! I've thought about buying a Kemper or Axefx for a long time now, but I'll have to wait and try the Amplifire first.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
    http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
    https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

Genghis
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/30 04:28:56 (permalink)
    Congrats Jim!  I haven't tried the Kemper, but from what I understand it is in the same league as the Axe-FX, and I've been an Axe-FX user since the days of the Ultra. Now I'm a happy Axe-FX II XL user.  Due to my natural affliction for GAS, I would love to try out a Kemper someday, but can't afford both.

I don't have a lot of amps to profile, so the Axe-FX fits my workflow better.  I'm more into tweaking and programming to get the sounds I want.  I never really touch the presets, just go in and experiment to find my own tones.  Both the Axe and the Kemper are perfect for those of us who need to get a variety of tones without waking the neighborhood.  Gotta love it!

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
    My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/30 04:47:32 (permalink)
    Good review Jim. I was wondering how they really worked. Read all about them. And I thought about it too. But since I don't play out anymore, I just can't justify the expense.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Jim Roseberry
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/30 06:29:16 (permalink)
    ampfixer
    DO they sell profile packs for these amps? I have access to a LOT of vintage amps, including many of the holy grail models. Would there be a market for libraries? Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Hiwatt, VOX, Supro, etc. You could make a library of classic rock amps for the best of everything.

I wonder how long it would take to pay for the amp?

Hi John,

There are numerous companies selling profiles for the Kemper (see Jeff's links above).
    I haven't bought any profiles (yet)... as I'm most interested in creating my own.
    If you have a bunch of classic amps/cabs... and the profiles came out great... I'm sure you could sell them.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jim Roseberry
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/30 07:11:22 (permalink)
    I'd like to get my hands on an Axe-FX too... but it'll probably be a while.

I know for me... not being able to play either unit locally (especially given the cost) was a put-off.
    Good tube-amp>good cabinet is a time-tested solution.
    I'd bought/sold many amps/cabs settling on those I liked best.
    Going with the Kemper (or Axe-FX), I had to be sure I wasn't taking a major step backward.

I'm always looking for ways to reduce cartage (live) and simplify my studio setup.
    I've got precious little time to actually record music.  Anything I can do to ease/facilitate that process is important.
    I was able to justify (rationalize??? ) the cost of the Kemper based on how much gear it would ultimately replace... and the fact that I could use my (profiled) amps/mics... in such a convenient (near silent) means.

Even down to the tuner:
    The Kemper has a nice (smooth/stable) tuner on board.  One less piece of gear I have to deal with live and in the studio.  May not sound like much... but every convenience helps.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jim Roseberry
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/30 07:35:55 (permalink)
    Jeff M.
    The DXR-12 is a great (and popular) FRFR wedge  ...but ask around and see if you can test out an Atomic CLR powered wedge.
    Outstanding sound - super wide sweetspot!

Don't forget to swap out different cabs to get different flavors.
    I profiled my '82 JCM-800, but replacing the cabs really opens it up "absorbs" the cab/speaker character.

Haven't turned on the Marshall since I profiled it  

I drove the locals crazy looking at powered wedges.   
    Even though the QSC K12 is a great stage monitor, it was one of the worst sounding for this application.
    Gaping hole in the mids... due to the cross-over.
    Couldn't find anyone local with an Atomic CLR (heard nothing but great comments).

I'm very pleased with the DXR-12.
    My wife even commented on how good the Kemper/DXR-12 combination sounds.
    She walked in thinking I was playing the (real) 5150>2x12.

I'm just getting started with the Kemper... and already I find myself forgetting that I'm not actually playing thru a (real) tube amp.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Genghis
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/30 08:34:01 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    I was able to justify (rationalize??? ) the cost of the Kemper based on how much gear it would ultimately replace...

Another great point.  I don't remember everything I sold, but it started with my Carvin Legacy and my GT8, and several pedals.  Then I said goodbye to my Mesa Boogie Mark IIb... used the money from that to fund my first StudioCat DAW.  Hard to believe it was that long ago.  (Just got my second StudioCat DAW. Ahh... the evolving cycle of GAS)

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
    My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    smallstonefan
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/30 09:04:01 (permalink)
    Great review, thanks Jim! Danni turned me on to the Axe FX II XL and I haven't looked back. Got the MFC floorboard about two weeks ago, and yesterday I ordered a pair of Atomic CLR Active Wedges.

I'm a believer. :)
    clintmartin
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/30 09:42:30 (permalink)
    smallstonefan
    Great review, thanks Jim! Danni turned me on to the Axe FX II XL and I haven't looked back. Got the MFC floorboard about two weeks ago, and yesterday I ordered a pair of Atomic CLR Active Wedges.

I'm a believer. :)

That's an investment! I'm thinking about getting a CLR if the Amplifire pans out. I want to try it first, and go from there. I want to hear everything about those CLR's when you get them.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 

smallstonefan
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/01/30 10:31:26 (permalink)
    I'm not sure "investment" is the right word, but I'm running with it! :)

I'll be happy to share my experience when I get them. I absolutely adore my Axe FX II and I record digitally through SPDIF/AES. I didn't have a good experience with the USB driver but it might be worth revisiting. I love effects, but with my analog rig I could never ever come back to the same sound twice, and forget changing tempo of a song with a bunch of analog effects. With the Axe, I get total recall every time, and can change the tempo of everything with one parameter. It sounds great through my Adams, so I can't wait to here it through the CLRs.
    clintmartin
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/02/08 13:32:16 (permalink)
    I'm thinking pretty seriously about getting a Kemper or AxefxII soon. I can wait a bit on the CLR (or other FRFR) since I'll be using it for recording only for now, but I would like to get the controller. On the Kemper site it says the new Remote will be sold as a bundle at the retailers and only through the Kemper site individually. If I go with Fractal I may have to try and find a used controller or buy the Mark II. Anyway, I for one will interested in your feedback from both units...I'm leaning towards the Kemper, but only because of the price.

Jim Roseberry
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/02/16 10:11:05 (permalink)
    Played first gig with the Kemper/DXR-12 combination.
    Hard to believe, but I don't miss the real amp/cab at all.

Profiled an Engl Ironball>Mesa Recto 2x12, mic'd with a RE-20 running thru a Neve clone preamp.
    Sounds amazingly good live... very dynamic (touch-responsive) and articulate

Sound guy (good engineer) really liked the tone... 

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    smallstonefan
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/02/16 11:21:04 (permalink)
    Awesome! I'm glad you were happy with the experience.
    TomHelvey
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: Kemper Profiling Amp 2015/02/16 13:04:51 (permalink)
    I've been using a KPA live for almost 2 years now.  I use a ground control for my pedal board. I can literally carry my whole rig into a club in one trip, including a guitar, without a hand truck. I don't use a cab, I just send it to my monitor mix.
    I agree with the OP about the built in sounds, they're great but I liked my amps better. I profiled my Triple Rect, DSL50, and AC-30. The profiles sound and feel just like the original amps.

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
    PCIe: UAD Octo
    USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
    DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
    Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1