Sonar 8.5 - Best External Audio Interface?

Author
DJRadboy
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 72
2015/01/29 19:53:06 (permalink)

Sonar 8.5 - Best External Audio Interface?

Hey all,

I have a brand new DAW PC with my trusty SONAR 8.5 installed but the onboard audio card (RealtekHD) does not play nicely with it.  So, I am in the market for a good external audio interface. 

On my old Cakewalk Project5 rig, I had the M-Audio Firewire USB Solo audio interface.  My new PC has no Firewire port (and the IEEE1394 Firewire standard seems to have faded away.)

Are there any recommendations for best external audio interface for use in House music production on Sonar 8.5? 

I was interested in Steinberg's UR22...  Good?  Bad?

Would love to hear thoughts,
Jeff

6 Replies Related Threads

Earwax
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 242
    Re: Sonar 8.5 - Best External Audio Interface? 2015/01/29 20:21:58 (permalink)
    DJRadboy
    Hey all,

I have a brand new DAW PC with my trusty SONAR 8.5 installed but the onboard audio card (RealtekHD) does not play nicely with it.  So, I am in the market for a good external audio interface. 

On my old Cakewalk Project5 rig, I had the M-Audio Firewire USB Solo audio interface.  My new PC has no Firewire port (and the IEEE1394 Firewire standard seems to have faded away.)

Are there any recommendations for best external audio interface for use in House music production on Sonar 8.5? 

I was interested in Steinberg's UR22...  Good?  Bad?

Would love to hear thoughts,
    Jeff

I assume you are stressing production of House music at least partly because you will be using very few (if any) acoustic instruments other than vocals, correct? What's your budget?
    By the way, you won't get much love around here as a Sonar 8.5 user. Most people are only interested in the latest versions of Sonar, and the people who use them.

Oh well....

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Sonar 8.5 - Best External Audio Interface? 2015/01/29 20:29:45 (permalink)
    Yea, it is mostly a matter of how much do you have to spend.  The Focusrite stuff gets a lot of love among the cheaper interfaces.  I would also check out the Tascam interfaces since Gibson owns both them and cake and they have a new line out.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re: Sonar 8.5 - Best External Audio Interface? 2015/01/29 20:35:50 (permalink)
    Audio interface has nothing to do with the DAW, really, and everything to do with the computer. There are no audio interfaces that are compatible or not compatible with Sonar, and none that are better or worse for Sonar. This is absolutely a hardware / OS question.

Focusrite make good stuff, as has been mentioned. So do PreSonus, for my money, at the not-cheap-but-not-overpriced end, very underrated.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    Earwax
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 242
    Re: Sonar 8.5 - Best External Audio Interface? 2015/01/29 20:52:52 (permalink)
    Before you decide on external audio interface hardware, you need to look at the interface options your computer offers you. What type of expansion slots do you have on your new PC's motherboard (PCI, PCIe, PCI-x), and how many empty ones do you have? How many USB 2.0 ports do you have? How many USB 3.0 ports do you have. Do you have Thunderbolt ports? You've already said there are no firewire ports. Answers to these questions will help you narrow the field of choice for an interface.

And, yes, some interface options are definitely better than others.

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Sonar 8.5 - Best External Audio Interface? 2015/01/29 22:08:13 (permalink)
    Well, however that set of choices goes for you, and I hope it goes well, you will still get love for 8.5.3, as long as it's not disco music - (kidding, I actually used to own a leisure suit).

Anyways, don't worry about which release you have - folks here will still help you, if they can.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Sonar 8.5 - Best External Audio Interface? 2015/01/30 09:52:31 (permalink)
    You can buy a PCIe Firewire card
    The U22 is also a good choice

It's the drivers that count. My 3 budget picks are the u22, the Scarlett and the Presonus. 

And don't rule out the value of the included DAW's that come with them
    Focusrite comes with some plug ins. 
    U22 comes with Cubase A1 
    The Presonus all come with Studio 1 Artist 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1