Helpful ReplyGeneral tips on doubling guitar parts?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Monkey23
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 848
2015/01/28 11:37:45 (permalink)

General tips on doubling guitar parts?

I'm writing some rock/pop Kings of Leon type music for a client's promotional video. Even though guitar is my primary instrument, I've tried to stay away from using it in my compositions as I've always struggled with recording electric guitar, and getting it to sit well in a mix.
This time it seems unavoidable, so I was hoping for some tips and/or suggestions on doubling guitar parts. It seems to me, for this particular song anyway, that a doubled electric guitar part (nothing fancy, just some chugging slightly distorted eight note power chords) would be ideal. 
From listening to some curent pop/rock stuff as reference, it seems that often the guitar parts are doubled and panned left/right, but with different tones (one slightly less distorted sound for clarity, the other more distorted for filling up the sound). I've tried it myself but it seems like the "cleaner" guitar just ends up washing away the more compressed distorted guitar. I can't seem to get the levels right. I'm not sure how wide to pan them. And I only have one guitar at my disposal (though many amps sounds through VST sims). Thoughts?

I guess it's kind of a hard question to answer without having the track at hand, but any general tips would be appreciated!
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/28 12:01:21 (permalink)
me personally,
i loved doubled guitar parts,
panned hard left and right,
and actually played.

unless it's super tight metal,
i prefer the rhythms to be a bit looser, not super tight,
each with their own tone and personality.

i will typically change guitars, pedals, amps, speakers, mics, anything and everything to give the individual track what it needs to stand on it's own sonic merit.

i am a firm believer in real amps, real effects (that are guitar specific, such as distortion, vibe, wah, etc)....
prefer micing cabinets and getting room effect into the track,
but do use direct capture devices quite a lot, for blending with miced tracks and for increased clarity.

rehearse the parts until you can play them without thinking about it...
so when the red button gets pushed, all you are doing is channeling vibe.

do experiment with mic positions A LOT, 
and when double tracking, by all means, play in tune.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/28 12:01:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2015/01/28 14:07:52
take any one of my mixes,
and it will be a lesson in this mix method.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/28 12:25:16 (permalink)
I find doing my left and right pans for rhythm guits actually sounds a little fuller and nicer when I place the at 70% instead of hard left/right.

Also I've been playing around with some stuff and this is by no means proper (I am really still quite a hack as far as mixing but hey... it's something to play with) what I've been doing is creating my main rhythm using the dual out from my amp set to cleanish setting but one side is a little cleaner and hi end tone while the second is a little more bottomy with a bit of muddy grit/gain (just a bit). Then I'll apply sims to those to get the distortion in there and pan them to 70%. Then I'll record a second performance into one track maybe using outboard effects through a different amp or put a different sim on it, clone it (so I'm not creating a buttload of layers which can lose definition) then panning those to lesser degree like 50/50%. Each set of tracks goes to their own bus for EQ, compression, verb, whatever (and I just found a new trick of adding a sim instance with JUST a cab to mess around with mic settings and IR's while leaving the main tracks as mostly just the initial head and effects very close up and "dry").

Because I have so many distorted tracks going on I can pull back on ALL the distortion on ALL the tracks and let it accumulate across them which produces a nice result without the distortion overpowering everything and creating a mud/screechfest or overpowering everything else.

Also if I were to include a clean track I don't think I would allow it to only be on one side because that would be too much of a difference. I'm about to try something like that on my current project but what I think I'm going to do is clone my sim tracks leaving them panned where they are (70/70%) and then switch the sim to a cleanish tone, blend them in slightly and turn down the distorted tones. Kind of like a Wet/Dry mix.

This is just me experimenting though.

Another thing that seems to be kind of cool is have one guit track, whatever the source, set slightly of center and lower when there isn't anything else going on like solos or vocs or whatever. I say slightly of center so it's not interfering with my centered bass. If a lead part of something needed to be in the forefront (like a lead or vox) I'd probably turn it down or mute it.

Seriously... these are just my wacky experiments and not hard and fast recommendations. I just find some of that stuff sounds cool and thickens things up how I like. Kind of a "Wall of Sound" type thing.
Beepster
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/28 12:28:48 (permalink)
batsbrew
rehearse the parts until you can play them without thinking about it...
so when the red button gets pushed, all you are doing is channeling vibe.

And this is EXTREMELY important. When properly doubling stuff you want it to sound like the same part with VERY subtle nuances to fatten things up. Then if you want it to sound like two actual players/performances do a second set of double tracks with a separate tone/technique.

That works best for me.
Monkey23
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/28 20:06:59 (permalink)
batsbrew
me personally,
i loved doubled guitar parts,
panned hard left and right,
and actually played.

Oh for sure! It never crossed my mind to NOT play both parts! 

batsbrew
unless it's super tight metal,
i prefer the rhythms to be a bit looser, not super tight,
each with their own tone and personality.

I think the issue might be that my parts have too much personality. As in I can't quite get them to mesh with each other. Also, I'm having trouble giving them some depth, and distance. But I guess that's a whole other topic!

Thanks to both of you! Such great tips and things to ponder over. And Batbrew, I will definitely be checking out your mixes, as soon as get back to my lair.
batsbrew
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/28 20:52:25 (permalink)
Monkey23

Oh for sure! It never crossed my mind to NOT play both parts!  

WELL, see a lot of engineers or producers, will simply copy a track, pan it opposite side, and shift it about 10 milliseconds forward or backwards, and call it 'doubling the track'.
it works, but for me, it's kinda lame.

Monkey23I think the issue might be that my parts have too much personality. As in I can't quite get them to mesh with each other. Also, I'm having trouble giving them some depth, and distance. But I guess that's a whole other topic! 

this is an 'artistry' issue.

how serious are you?
serious enough to get so f'kin good at your parts, that you can literally play in front of, or right on top of, or right behind, what you already tracked?
if not, then f' off!~!

LOL, just kidding, but making a point.....

the really good recordings, whether done by hard core players, or folks who are hard core but really don't have chops, but have great ears and a great sense of space and rhythm, all have one thing in common.....

someone worked their @sses off, to make their sh!t be special.

they have to mesh,
or you are wasting your time worrying about it.

if you have what it takes, to do take after take until you are so dialed in your @ss squeaks, 
well,
now we're talking

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Monkey23
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/28 21:34:26 (permalink)
batsbrew

how serious are you?
serious enough to get so f'kin good at your parts, that you can literally play in front of, or right on top of, or right behind, what you already tracked?
if not, then f' off!~!

Lol. I's not my playing that doesn't mesh. I'm having trouble getting the guitar sounds to mesh. But I'm going to listen to the both of you, and see what happens.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/28 23:34:26 (permalink)
I'm going to have to disagree with Beepster on the panning issue - all a matter of personal preference of course but I really like to pan things hard left or right as part of an LCR strategy. I just find it gives the track more width and leaves more space in the middle for the kick, bass and vocal (and anything else you want upfront). 

I guess there's loads of things you can do to differentiate the two sides and make them sound wider. Try using different pickup positions for instance - one with the neck, one with the bridge. You can also use opposite EQ curves on each part - for instance, a boost of 1kHz on the left complimented by a cut in 1kHz on the right. If you're sending them to a stereo bus and using an EQ that allows for L/R processing (for instance Waves Renaissance EQ) then this is very easy to do. Then of course you can try putting an effect like subtle flange on one side, or even put flange on both but use different (but related) modulation rates on each. This is in addition to what Beepster said about different tones (use different amp sims etc). 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
batsbrew
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/29 11:03:23 (permalink)
Monkey23

Lol. I's not my playing that doesn't mesh. I'm having trouble getting the guitar sounds to mesh. But I'm going to listen to the both of you, and see what happens.

ok, gotcha...
a lot of times,
you will encounter 'masking'

or frequency buildups...
if you only have one guitar, 
and one amp,
you will want to eq the amp completely differently, different gain (less gain than you think is ALWAYS better),
and mic it up with a different mic and/or different position...
centered on cone, edge of cone, 45 degrees to center, etc....

this will force enough of a EQ change, that it should allow these guys to play better together.

think dark and light,
or bright and dull,
or deep and hollow.

even the individual tracks might sound a little gross when solo'd, but awesome when blended together.

if you are using sims,
all bets are off.

the sims (other than the top notch Axe FX Fractal or Kemper) all seem to have a sonic 'fingerprint' that will become more and more prevalent the more tracks you layer on.

think of it as individual thin layers of cloudy varnish on a nice clean piece of birdseye maple,
and the more coats you put on, 
the more dull it looks.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Beepster
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/29 11:44:29 (permalink)
sharke
I'm going to have to disagree with Beepster on the panning issue - all a matter of personal preference of course but I really like to pan things hard left or right as part of an LCR strategy. I just find it gives the track more width and leaves more space in the middle for the kick, bass and vocal (and anything else you want upfront). 

I guess there's loads of things you can do to differentiate the two sides and make them sound wider. Try using different pickup positions for instance - one with the neck, one with the bridge. You can also use opposite EQ curves on each part - for instance, a boost of 1kHz on the left complimented by a cut in 1kHz on the right. If you're sending them to a stereo bus and using an EQ that allows for L/R processing (for instance Waves Renaissance EQ) then this is very easy to do. Then of course you can try putting an effect like subtle flange on one side, or even put flange on both but use different (but related) modulation rates on each. This is in addition to what Beepster said about different tones (use different amp sims etc). 

Yeah, I should have really emphasized that for the most part I'm doing really hi gain stuff which may be why that sounds a little better to me. The guitars just sound a little fatter and more focused. Could be I'm mixing through headphones too. When I have them panned hard right/left it always sounds like they are an afterthought yelling at me from behind instead of walloping me in the face. It would probably be a lot different too if I was adding vocals where I'd want the centered left a little bit more open. I may end up automating stuff so that when I want attention on the vox/leads/melody I hard pan then bring it back to 70/70 when there is nothing going on in the middle.

I consider my rhythm guits as kind of something to be showcased like a lead track too instead of as a backing instrument.

IDK... still learning so anything I say should really be taken with a grain of salt.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/29 14:42:01 (permalink)
Beepster
sharke

Yeah, I should have really emphasized that for the most part I'm doing really hi gain stuff which may be why that sounds a little better to me. The guitars just sound a little fatter and more focused. Could be I'm mixing through headphones too. When I have them panned hard right/left it always sounds like they are an afterthought yelling at me from behind instead of walloping me in the face. It would probably be a lot different too if I was adding vocals where I'd want the centered left a little bit more open. I may end up automating stuff so that when I want attention on the vox/leads/melody I hard pan then bring it back to 70/70 when there is nothing going on in the middle.

I consider my rhythm guits as kind of something to be showcased like a lead track too instead of as a backing instrument.

IDK... still learning so anything I say should really be taken with a grain of salt.

I hear you about listening to hard panned instruments through cans. Sometimes it can sound a little extreme. But there are things you can do to rectify this, like for instance sending each side to a mono reverb hard panned to the other side (or in the middle). Or if you're adding delays to a hard panned part, hard pan the delay to the opposite side. It's amazing to think that some of the most classic records of all time are mixed LCR. It does require a different approach though.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Beepster
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/29 15:18:03 (permalink)
I'm almost ashamed to admit it but reverb and delay settings/routing/panning/techniques/etc are something that still REALLY confuse the heck out of me. I never really liked reverb/delay at ALL in my live days so I just totally ignored all that stuff but now obviously I need it to create "space" on my mixes. Usually I just end up finding a preset that isn't too offensive to me and/or looking for a good "room" setting then use the dry/wet knob or sends to a bus. Really fiddling with the reverb itself though just bends my brain.

I just need to do some dedicated studying on the subject but yanno... so many things to learn with limited time. No excuse though. I'm sure there are plenty of vids and articles kicking around about this.
RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/29 23:13:58 (permalink)
Some great advice.
Definitely know your parts. 
Slightly different tone on each track is essential.
And I am in line with Beepster. I tend to pan doubled guitars in the 40-70% range.
I generally run a lead down the middle.
I like to spread the instruments across the stereo field to give each its own sonic space.
This is an example of those ideas:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/I-dont-careMix-5New-m3141972.aspx
Go to Mix 5. 

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/30 14:45:14 (permalink)
I'm  struggling to get a mix dialed in that contains 4 guitar parts playing simultaneously.  Three are played with same guitar and the other electric.  Some parts just sound messy to the point  that I will likekly resort to automation to pull a couple out all together on some notes. I find so far, hard panning gives a better result so far.
batsbrew
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/30 14:48:37 (permalink)
1st question to ask:

do you really need all 4 parts?
maybe one acoustic, and one electric,
is all you really need.

it's a production and arrangement question,
not really a mix question.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

dubdisciple
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/30 15:43:36 (permalink)
batsbrew
1st question to ask:

do you really need all 4 parts?
maybe one acoustic, and one electric,
is all you really need.

it's a production and arrangement question,
not really a mix question.

Good question.  I did not arrange. The song was one some students I worked with wrote that day and I recorded. I warned them I may need to cut some parts so I doubt they would be upset if all 4 parts did not work.. Preliminary  mix seems to confirm that but I admittedly don't  have much experience trying to make three tracks of the exact same guitar sit in a mix and figured it might just be me.  The electric cuts through nicely so that is a keeper. 
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/30 15:55:41 (permalink)
This has probably been mentioned above, but I got some good advice soon after joining this forum that crunchy double tracked elec guitar will sound a lot more powerful when finally mixed if you roll off about half the distortion you think you need.

I've also found it helps to double track using different chord inversions per track.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Beepster
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/30 16:24:03 (permalink)
dubdisciple
I'm  struggling to get a mix dialed in that contains 4 guitar parts playing simultaneously.  Three are played with same guitar and the other electric.  Some parts just sound messy to the point  that I will likekly resort to automation to pull a couple out all together on some notes. I find so far, hard panning gives a better result so far.

Any chance some Audiosnap tightening might pull it together a bit? A little can do a lot. It is a pain though so it's a matter of how much effort you are will to toss into the project.
dubdisciple
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/30 18:12:48 (permalink)
Beepster, you may be right. Tighter synching may solve some issues. It's  a good learning experience
Beepster
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/30 18:40:23 (permalink)
Even just on important chords and/or downbeats. Personally I'd just do it in passes. First pass deal with any really egregious stuff sticking out at crucial points, listen back, if necessary do a second pass to tweak lesser but still distracting oddities, and so on until it's passable.

The really hard part is not obsessing over it when you've got it under the microscope... lol. I do this with takes and comping because obviously I can just retrack stuff that's bugging me but it's massively time consuming for stuff that really wouldn't be noticeable by anyone else.
dubdisciple
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/31 00:53:27 (permalink)
i recorded it in logic but impprted omf to sonar so i have a few handicaps
dubdisciple
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/31 00:54:06 (permalink)
tem tried vocalsync just for kicks. ...NOT happening 

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/01/31 02:30:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2015/01/31 04:18:20
A tip that made a tremendous difference for me in terms of tightening doubled things up... People always focus on syncing/aligning the attack, and it is crucial, obviously, but one thing that's easily overlooked is the decay. Trimming things and aligning fades really makes a world of difference.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Monkey23
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/02/03 18:00:41 (permalink)
Interesting. i assumed that any unevenness amongst my left/right guitars were the result of bad tone matching. 'Cause it couldn't possibly the result of my always superior playing! 

Seems there's some debate about panning, but i guess that's because there's more than one way to make an effective doubled electric guitar part!
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/02/07 02:00:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2015/02/07 02:36:37
I'd like to chime in here if I may? Guitars (especially dirty guitars where there are several) depend on the tone as much as how well/consistent they are played. The biggest issues to watch for other than playing that is not tight or consistent:

Too much gain: This will totally destroy several guitar tracks that are playing the same part. If you do any type of chugging, it will sound like a run on sentence that never breathes or accentuates any accents.

Too much low end: This will mask with your bass guitar. Don't be afraid to high pass. You may end up high passing all the way up to 250 Hz if your tone has lots of low end in it. This low end will even make a "whoomfing" sound which will raise your eq level in certain areas. You will see level increases when you chug a Ab, A, Bb and B more so than any other chords. These will ramp up your LED. When you use excessive low end, these chords can make your tone go off the charts with bass.

To listen for this low end, high pass until you no longer hear a low end air push behind your tone. You'll know when it's gone....the tone will leap out at you in a good way. Most guitars do not need any low end at 80 Hz or under. But this depends on what is in your tone or not in your tone. Sometimes a few harmonics of a low frequency can enhance a tone just a bit....so we don't want to totally kill the thickness of the tone. But we do not want it to have much low end beef in it that could walk on the bass guitar because this will also interact and mess up any other guitars you have within the mix.

Too much effects: This will bury your tone and make it appear behind your backing tracks and can even mush things up. If you are a sloppy player and hide behind effects, this will make your tone even worse and will make it harder to blend. Don't use long reverb tails other than for a special effect in a spot or for something artistic. Long tails will wash you right out. Watch for long delays because if you have a tone that has the above issues I've already mentioned, they will repeat so then you have double mush.

Watch for chorus effects. Though they make you sound thicker, the low sweep of the chorus can add bass and artifacts that wash you out or mask you with something else.

Mid range: Too much mid range can cause mid range congestion within a guitar tone. It will sound honky and will mask in with piano/keyboards and even lead vocal or anything that lands in a mid range type frequency field. We want some good mid range thickness and girth, but we also want the tone to be heard and have an identity. The frequencies to watch for here can be from 200 Hz all the way up to 860 Hz. So experiment and try your best to stay out of the ranges under 400 in excess.

High end: Sometimes guys mistake excessive treble for quality distortion. Meaning, they have a razor sharp tone that is cutting way too much. Add enough guitars with this type of sound, and it's going to just sound bad. The problem with high end is....it is going to be a bit more subjective than the other guitar frequencies because sometimes a tone that cuts through the mix for rhythm is the right choice where one with less high end cut may be a little too warm sounding. I like a little sizzle in my tones but not enough to where it pierces the ears or sounds annoying. Finding this happy medium usually depends on the material you are playing on. If you find you are a little razor sharp and high endy, try low passing until the sharpness is less apparent.

Like sounding guitars: If you have too many of the same guitar sound, you are just boosting volume. The same if you are panning several guitars the exact same way. If I were to use 4 guitars, I'd pan two wider that are my main guitars and would bring in the other 2 on a chorus to push it harder using a tighter pan with a little more high end push.

OR....do it the other way around and pan the main guitars tighter and bring in the other two out wide for a chorus with a different tone. I like my pans to be a little tighter than hard left/right. The reason being, I tend to personally have tighter sounding mixes when using tighter pans. This also leaves my lard left/right for special items I want to leap out to my listeners. There are no rules here, the above is just what works for me.

Effects panning and eq: This to me is pretty big because not many novices know to even do this. Every time you use an effect that isn't a mono effect, the effect is being placed in stereo which is equal to hard left/hard right. Do this with enough effects and you can wash out everything. Though some use a LCR method, if you are not careful that method can really mess you up and I'll tell you why.

Too many effects hard left/right are like a bunch of tracks hard left/right. This is all well and good if you know how to treat stuff like that. BUT.....we don't want all of our effects to reach all the way out there.....AND we need to eq them so they don't wash out our sounds. I'll explain it a little deeper.

For example, say we have a lead guitar up the middle. We put a stereo ping pong delay on this guitar which spreads 100L/100R. In the 100L/R pan field, we already have two rhythm guitars. If we allow this delay, it is going to walk right on top of our rhythm guitars. If you eq the delay, you *may* be able to keep it in the 100L/R pan field. But most won't do that and will wonder:

a) why can't I hear the delay that good?
b) why are my rhythm guitars a bit less dominant?

So to stop this from happening, you keep your effects within the context of your instruments and you will keep things nice and tight. Along with eq-ing the effects, you allow them to sit in the mix better with your effects. Here's another example...

Say we have a reverb on a snare drum. The snare is centered, but the stereo reverb is spreading all the way out 100L/R. You are either going to:

a) hear a verb all over your mix that disconnects your snare from your kit
b) will not hear enough of the verb to give the enhancement you are looking for

To control spread of your effects, use the Sonitus Phase plug to control how wide your effects go and eq the effects either using pro-channel on your busses or drop a Sonitus eq right after your effects and clean them up.
*High pass reverbs to remove the low end from them if need be
*Low pass reverbs to stop them from hissing

Do the same with chorus or flanger effects. Try to make delays alter from the original tone if the delay default seems to get lost in the mix. High passing it usually cleans this right up.

And finally, high gain or rock guitar tones need to be recorded just right in order to work effectively. If you don't have any clue what a good rock or metal tone is supposed to sound like by itself, you are going to have a hard time with this. The reasons being....

Most guys think they have created the ultimate guitar tone when they play through an amp or VST. The problem is, the sound is all alone. An all alone sound that blows your socks off will most likely NOT work in a mix with other instruments. The reasons being....all that I have mentioned above as well as knowing what a good guitar tone sounds like. We can name lots of guys we love tone wise...but when you yourself cannot achieve those tones, this field can become VERY challenging.

All alone tones vs. tones that work in a recording are two different animals. There will even be times where you may not like the sound of a guitar when you solo it up in a mix. However, when you bring it in with all the other instruments, it sounds great! Finding that happy medium is important, but you have to remember...

You have automation. If a sound is all by itself in the mix, by all means pull out all the stops and make it sound the way you want! There is nothing else competing with it...so blast away the way you hear it best! But, when you mix and have to make the guitar sound good with the other instruments, there are times when you may have to sacrifice what the tone sounds like all by itself. Remember that THAT doesn't matter because the tone is NOT by itself. speaking of that....one last point.

Eq-ing solo: I feel quite a few people fail at mixing because they solo up tracks and try to make them work. They spend hours and hours trying to get tones from instruments that sound great by themselves all alone, then they wonder why they sound terrible when they include the instruments in the mix. As a teacher in the recording field, I can't tell you how many times I see people doing this to the point of frustration. When you are well seasoned and know what to listen for, solo is your friend for basic starting points within a new mix as well as pinpointing problem areas. But to use solo exclusively to eq.....this can be a downfall and a time waster unless you know what you are doing.

The more you mix and learn to identify sounds/tones, the easier this is and you just know what is right and what isn't. Until then, try your best to mix within the mix trying the above methods. This should help you improve ten-fold. If it does not, you can always post up a clip of the tones being used and we can rip them apart and tell you how to fix them or whether you should trash the tone and try to recreate. I hope some of this helps you guys. As always, best of luck!

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Beepster
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/02/07 14:15:32 (permalink)
Danny! Buddy! Where you been? I was getting worried was going to message you to see if you were alright.

Awesome post as always and confirms/solidifies some things I kind of knew and things I've been playing around with (I've been REALLY goofing around with various guitar tracking set ups because I'm getting back into actual writing/tracking again after all these years of trying to just learn what the heck all this DAW stuff does).

I'm glad you metnioned the 4 guitars panned in two seperate panning pairs because that's exactly how I've been doing things for my doubled/layered tracks. Left/Right of one pair panned a little harder and the second panned a little more in the middle. Seems to spread it all better and I like the thickness of it.

However what is tripping me up a bit is this...

When I create my performed doubles (the same part tracked twice) what I like to do is have one take more reserved and calm maybe with some palm mute to give a little "chuggy/plunky" attack. The second is more open and what I'd play live. Really strong, fuller chords, ring outs, squeals, vibratos, etc.

Doing this blends really nicely I think and give me the usual two distinctive performances one usually wants when tracking rhythms or non "solo" rhythmic lead type parts (not full on soloing which is hard to double perfectly enough to keep that single guit sound and would be better in the center anyway... I think).

So now I have these two distinct performances which normally I guess someone would pan left and right if they were more even BUT because they are so distinct (reserved chugga chugga and wild screamer) if I do that they sound WAY too separated and really that chugga part is only meant to be a helper track in the background adding some meat/bite to the full on track. It needs to be quieter to not overtake and/or distract from that fuller track which really is what should be heard by the listener's ears.

Is it an "acceptable" practice to just clone both the chug and full tracks and keep them in blended pairs for left right panning?

Example: The cloned chugs occupy the harder panned left/right space (say 70% or more) and the cloned fuller tracks occupy the less panned space (like maybe 50-30%). Or perhaps the reverse where the full tracks are harder panned and the chugs are more centered but that's not the point... to me it would depend on the material and tracks I guess.

In that scenario I end up going against the "rule" I see often cited that your doubled unique performances should be opposite each other in the stereo field (so in this case chugs would be left and full would right or vice versa) BUT because I make the tracks so distinct as far as attack and I want my chug tracks in the background just helping things out that they cannot be as loud as the full tracks (which is distracting in the mix).

The only real way around that would be to do actual performed doubles of both the chug tracks AND the full tracks which leaves me with 4 distinct tracks all wishy washing together. I have done that and it is indeed thick but even with ultra tight performances definition gets lost. It's too many performances and it's what happened with Beepster Creep and you may recall the problems with the "wall" of guits that was going on with that. Add in some double rhtymic leads, some solos and you have like a dozen freaking guitar tracks going on. Yikes!

Anyway... if it is "acceptable" (or I guess a better word would be "advisable") to do that then it becomes a matter of the proper way to approach it.

In the above scenario the way I see it I have two ways to achieve the Chug/Full double> Clone > Left/Right-Hard/Soft Pan setup.

I can clone the tracks themselves so I end up with 4 tracks. 2 chugs and 2 full ons. This makes finite tweaks on track level a pain (prochannel/sims/FX/etc) but seems to be the most direct way to approach it. It's hard to really hear what's going on in context of the mix because I can only tweak one track/side at a time. Then I have to transfer all those settings to the other pair (total pain even using preset save and load procedures). In this scenario they only feed one bus though that covers the entire scope of the guitar sound.

The other is to only have the two tracks (chug and full), don't clone them but add two sends on each track (and set the main output to none... or whatever, just set it up so I have two signals going to busses from each track). Then set up 5 busses.

Bus 1 and 2 are each fed by the two sends on the Chug tracks. Their outputs are sent to Bus 5.

Bus 3 and 4 are fed by the two sends on the Full tracks. Again their outputs are sent to Bus 5.

Bus 5 is fed by Bus 1, 2, 3 and 4 and sent to the master (or wherever it needs to go before hitting the Master.

In that scenario I just keep the Chug and Full Tracks panned center and can tweak their settings individually to get the best blend.

When they hit the busses though because I have the Chug and Full tracks going to their own busses I can pan the BUSSES left and right to varying degrees. So I still get that stereo field action going on which in theory then feeds to Bus 5 when I can do any final sculpting of the overall sound before it hits the Master and I can use Bus 5 to adjust the overall level of the entire whacky scheme while mixing.

That of course is also rather complex in my mind and I'm not sure, due to my sketchy understanding of how panning reacts in different set ups, if it would produce the same results as panning at track level.

Anyway... don't even worry about answering (or even trying to decipher) that insanity because I'll be experimenting with all this anyway but if anyone knew the answer to (or could even understand) what the heck I'm rambling about it would be you.

The important thing is we've had a Danny sighting so we know you're still alive and kickin'. Honestly just typing that up helped me solidify the experiment I've been bumbling around in my head anyway but if you do happen to have some thoughts on it (like "Beeps, man... you're a freaking lunatic and that is complete buttarded!") I'd obviously love to hear them.

You rock, dude. Hope all is well.

PS: I did not proof read this so sorry for branfarts and typos. I actually need to do some other stuff so maybe I'll come back and edit it properly.

Cheers.
Danny Danzi
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/02/07 16:05:47 (permalink)
LOL @ a Danny sighting! It's nice to be missed, thanks Beeps!

I'm doing ok man. My father passed away on his birthday in May and things have been hectic getting his estate in order. So much so, I just last week finally got the deed to the house. I don't get it...I'm the only son, the only survivor to the estate, (which there is really nothing) no one else is left alive, and they treated me like I had 30 relatives waiting to split things up.

Next I've been rebuilding my studio and am doing the control room from the ground up as I type this....well sorta. LOL! Just got done spackling texture on the walls. Had to go all the way down to the foundation....it was in bad shape. So that's sort of where I've been, Working like crazy and got a bunch of new gear I've been trying to learn as well. I'm supposed to be up and running again anywhere from Feb 15 to the 20th and have been trying as hard as possible to get this done. I've not made a dime in 10 days and the engineer that runs my other studio is the guy helping me build the room here. So we aren't getting much work done studio wise.

Anyway, I'm wating for my texture to dry and I'm going back to work after dinner. I just wanted to let you know where I've been and I'll try to respond to your post above on my next break if I don't fall asleep. LOL! Been putting in 14 hour days since Jan 29th, so I'm pretty beat up. A little scared too because I'm gonna have a brand new room that will require some care that I didn't have to worry about in my last room. I know I'll be way better off...I'm just dreading all the room correction and re-calibrating. New everything to get used to. Both scary and exciting...more scary though at this point. That fear of the unknown stuff just drives me crazy until I'm living it! :) Talk soon man, hope you're ok too!

-Danny

My Site
Beepster
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/02/07 16:47:31 (permalink)
You do what you gotta do, man. I'm pretty sure I speak for large swaths of the community in saying you are indeed missed when you are gone.

Lemme know if I can help in any way my freaky spazzoid self can.

Best to ya!
Danny Danzi
Re: General tips on doubling guitar parts? 2015/02/08 16:08:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Afrodrum 2015/02/09 11:20:44
Hi Beeps,

In my opinion, you're over thinking this....then again, there are no real rules in recording. You experiment and break the rules to gain ground and experience. However, with THIS stuff, it's good to sort of keep things a bit uniformed until you can at least come up with something you like. This is one of the points I sort of made in another thread about going too fast with things too soon. Experimenting as well as trial and error are things I live by. But before I do that, I have to get the basics down and get the sound I'm looking for first.

So in saying that, let's take a look at another way to do this. Do you know anything about orchestras? First chair of instruments does one thing, second chair does something else, 3rd chair and so on. We need to sort of grab that principal as our starting point.

1st chair rhythm guitars are going to carry the most weight. For the sake of doing it here, let's use 2 rhythms. Decide how you want these to be panned. They will be your main guitars so put them in a spot where they give you the right impact for this particular song. Once you have recorded two of them, next you'll create your second chair rhythm guitars.

These might be your chug guitars or the ones that will be more open....you'll need to decide. record two of them. Two things I want to stress that make things harder:

Cloning differentiating. When you clone, you are just doubling volume. Even if you eq differently or totally change the sound....the performance is the same so it is NOT adding to your guitar orchestration. If you want to clone, you want to use a HAAS effect where you either slide the track back 10-30 ticks or you just throw a delay on the track, turn the wet all the way up and adjust it anywhere from 15 ms to 30 ms. It's the exact same technique 2 ways. One delaying the track via sliding it in ticks, the other using a delay.

Personally, I don't like the above methods for two reasons.

1. They are not as powerful as recording two individual tracks.
2. They fool you into thinking one side is louder than the other when in reality, the side with the shorter delay/delayed track hits your ears first making you think it is louder when it is not.

So keep it an orchestration where you play each guitar take. Keep everything in twos and pan them all differently as well as eq them differently. Something that hits on a chorus you may want to add a bit of treble on and you may want to squash the heck out of it. That's another thing....

Doubled guitars sound really cool when you compress them as an entity instead of individually. You can compress each one lightly if you want and then send them to a bus and compress hard there too. That bus compressor in Sonar is a beast. I put it up against anything out there. I use it on tracks too. Don't let the "bus" part fool you. That is a serious comp that can be used for everything and it does everything incredibly well.

So now that you have your pairs, it will be up to you to see where they need to be paired, how the need to be eq'd and what type of compression to use. You may even be able to parallel compress here for a little sizzle on some of the tracks. Also, if there is a track at THIS point that you may want to add like a chug or open guitar that is not there, this is where you can use just one guitar and do the HAAS trick with a light chorus on it for a little dimension. In this situation, we wouldn't want this guitar to be too dominant....so the HAAS delay trick is ok. Eq and compression on this single track is crucial because you may not want it to be totally heard. It may just end up as a texture. Then again, you may want it to stick out a little bit in a select part so you'll have to make sure it sticks out but doesn't out-shine your other orchestrated guitars.

That's really all there is to it. But remember....the real trick to layering with orchestrated guitars is to use a different guitar and amp for each pair. And lastly, you can do things in 3's as well. Two sides and a center. The two sides have their own eq curve and the one in the center has its own. You'll know when the one in the center is right because when it's wrong, it will command the performance a bit more. Then again, sometimes this is right for the track and all you have to do is lower it so it doesn't dominate.

So try some of this stuff and see how you make out. Remember, the more progressive you make the parts, the tighter you have to play them performance wise. This is also where a longer HAAS type delay can make things sound loose if you decide to use one. The longer the delay time, the looser the part....but the more "stereo" it sounds. So you have to find that happy medium. Best of luck brother!

-Danny

My Site
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1