Helpful ReplyScreen recording (software ) and how to ?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/30 18:14:42 (permalink)
What software will capture my DAW full desktop 2560x1600?

ShellstaX
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 502
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/30 18:30:20 (permalink)
I haven't tried that feature ... but Mirillis Action touts itself as 4K. (with the right hardware - see below - Quick Sync was introduced with the Sandy Bridge CPU microarchitecture on 9 January 2011).

https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

Video resolution:
Single Display - up to 4K (3840x2160)
NVIDIA 3D Vision, AMD Eyefinity - up to 8192x8192 (AVI) 
up to 4K (3840x2160) (MP4) with Intel® Quick Sync Video , NVIDIA NVENC and AMD APP 
up to 720p 30p (MP4) with software video encoding
post edited by ShellstaX - 2015/01/30 18:51:41
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 00:30:57 (permalink)
This has been a great thread, folks... I thank you very much for the detective work/sharing... this has been on my list of todos for a long time!

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 01:11:09 (permalink)
I downloaded Voicemeeter to try it out and started to get funky issues with both X3 and Audition from it. Has anyone else seen this? (I downloaded Bandicam too, but left this one installed).

Much to my dismay, I also found that there is no uninstaller for Voicemeeter... so I had to surgically remove the application from the registry (including 2 folders and one dll in Windows/System32). The program created an ASIO registry entry, so not sure if that entry was causing the conflict I was seeing.

X3 had a few audio engine dropouts, then a BSOD to the computer, and it gave Audition a heart attack requiring an uninstall/reinstall (but in hind sight I could have simply renamed the prefs directory in User/AppData).

Then again, it may just be my Saffire didn't like it.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
ShellstaX
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 01:27:00 (permalink)
Eeek! - No such 'funky' issues with VoiceMeeter - works well with X3 -Virtual ASIO.

There is an entry in Control Panel > Programs to uninstall (for me).
(Yes, - perhaps it'd be nicer to include an uninstaller script (?)).

Win8 - 64bit - VM Banana Virtual ASIO - Behringer Audio Interface / ASIO.

The one thing I have noticed when switching Drivers and back to VM. It'll set the Master Bus output to the 4th Virtual Channel. Simple to recheck the output to the 1st channel.

No BSODs.
The occasional engine dropout - probably more to do with me pushing memory limitations. There is a reset in VM. Then restart engine in Sonar.
VM also has configurable buffers etc - never had to use them - sub 10ms latency.
post edited by ShellstaX - 2015/01/31 01:39:56
bapu
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 01:44:29 (permalink)
ShellstaX or Soundblend

How exactly do I setup and use Voicemaster when trying to capture a vid running SONAR?

I'm a little unclear. Do I have to switch in and out of Voicemaster to use SONAR or capture a vid with sound?

Screenshots would be tremendously helpful.

bapu
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 01:48:18 (permalink)
BTW Action did capture my 30" 2560x1600 display.
ShellstaX
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 01:55:58 (permalink)
bapu
ShellstaX or Soundblend

How exactly do I setup and use Voicemaster when trying to capture a vid running SONAR?

I'm a little unclear. Do I have to switch in and out of Voicemaster to use SONAR or capture a vid with sound?

Screenshots would be tremendously helpful.

That'll take a little time put together but I'll see what I can do.
I guess I should do a video on it ;).

bapu
BTW Action did capture my 30" 2560x1600 display.

Cool.

Soundblend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 726
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 06:15:26 (permalink)
Think i'll leave the video tutorial to *ShellstaX guess he talk english / american way better than me.
( seriously i am really that bad XD. )

Yes there's an uninstall in the control panel / programs / uninstall a program

And if not go to : C:\Program Files (x86)\VB\Voicemeeter
then run the installer again of the chosen product, and you will be asked if you want to uninstall .

EDIT ( NOTICE ) :

I had the driver for the Virual cable installed along with VoiceMeeter.
Did a uninstall of the Virtual cable " driver " and restarted the system.
but it seemed to remove the VoiceMeeter driver to.. i could start the program
but there was no driver / output in windows sound.
to fix it, i just had to Install Voicemeeter again.

" You only need VoiceMeeter  " ..... no need for virtual cable etc.
post edited by Soundblend - 2015/01/31 09:12:46
Soundblend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 726
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 09:15:09 (permalink)
EDIT, Video removed
post edited by Soundblend - 2015/02/02 13:30:34
ShellstaX
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 10:24:22 (permalink)
Here's my attempt (HD bump it up) ... English ... but Kiwi, who lives in Oz, with a good stint in the UK, otherwise well travelled (and resultantly weathered)

NOTE: I recognise there's a few pop/cracks in the audio on the video. This is not typically an issue. For now I'll put it down to the resource load imposed by the recording software.

VoiceMeeter / Sonar setup for live video commentary:
http://youtu.be/L4qH4bAueIY

post edited by ShellstaX - 2015/01/31 10:36:49
bapu
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 11:46:20 (permalink)
Thanks ShellstaX. I'll give that a go later today.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 12:02:07 (permalink)
Bapu,

Why are you looking for ways to independently record audio while demoing something in Sonar? You have an RME, right? You can just use RME DigiCheck which comes with your device to record the audio using the global record selection.

Do your screen capture with any screen capture software you like. Then import the audio captured with Digicheck into Sonar and import the video you captured into Sonar. If the video software has ANY kind of audio capacity (you really don't care if it's any good) you can capture a clap or something to align the two audio recordings.

Ewe no @ DigiCheck, rite?

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
bapu
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 12:08:19 (permalink)
gswitz
Bapu,

Why are you looking for ways to independently record audio while demoing something in Sonar? You have an RME, right? You can just use RME DigiCheck which comes with your device to record the audio using the global record selection.

Do your screen capture with any screen capture software you like. Then import the audio captured with Digicheck into Sonar and import the video you captured into Sonar. If the video software has ANY kind of audio capacity (you really don't care if it's any good) you can capture a clap or something to align the two audio recordings.

Ewe no @ DigiCheck, rite?

Nope never heard (see what I did there) about DigiCheck. Is it installed with drivers? Is it an app? Is it part of Total mix? 

Help a bruthuh out.
gswitz
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 12:16:31 (permalink)
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_downloads.php?page=content/downloads/en_downloads_driver&subpage=content/downloads/en_downloads_digicheck

Try this link.

It's a super cool tool. You've got some reading to do. It has an awesome EBU meter, direct recording from the interface (that records all audio to a single file on your machine until you save it to separate files). Really, digicheck does so many cool things I just recommend you read the help file.

In this video you can see me using 3 instances of DigiCheck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmTb8XqawP8
I'm also using another instance to record my voice for the video.

You might keep in mind if you're aiming for posting to youtube that you may find yourself with limited video durations. In some cases 15 minutes. I don't know if they limit or not b/c I don't normally attempt a video more than 10 mins.
post edited by gswitz - 2015/01/31 13:40:23

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
bapu
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 16:27:15 (permalink)
Geoff,

Thanks for the tip.

So, I got DigiCheck to globally record. I now understand how to save the recording. 

The "Action" product will save my 30" 2560x1600 display.

So far so good.

What I'm unclear on is how to sync the audio and video since they are started at different times.

You said "If the video software has ANY kind of audio capacity (you really don't care if it's any good)". But isn't that the rub? Since I only use RME (in ASIO) on my DAW, no screen capture program has yet to capture ANY audio for me.

Maybe I'm not reading what you wrote correctly.
gswitz
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 16:42:20 (permalink)
Well, I use MS Expression which is old software that you can choose the audio input for (and the rme inputs show up). I don't think they still support or sell this software.

I can also select and record RME inputs with CamStudio. I can select Audio > Options and pick an input from the RME.

Alternatively, if you really can't capture audio with the video capture, you could sync up a mouse movement (like move the mouse to the lower right hand corner twice and tap the desk each time and sync the taps to the mouse movement.

For me, I always capture the audio on outputs 7+8 as the stereo pair for the recording. I also send the Sonar Mains to 5+6 (and also route to 7+8 so I can hear them using totalmix). Then, I set 5+6 for loopback and record 1 (my talking), 5+6 - full strength Sonar Output so you get real time fader movements and stuff the way they happen), and 7+8 (which has Sonar out mixed with my vocal as I heard it during the performance of the video recording).

When I'm done, I can input as separate tracks
- the stereo pair output from Sonar (5+6).
- My voice
- the mixture of my voice and Sonar (7+8)
- The stereo pair as captured by the video capture.

Now, DigiCheck + Sonar + Video Capture device all linking to your RME can get interesting, but in my experience DigiCheck always wins with the smooth recording. DigiCheck has never enabled some other audio program to mess up the DigiCheck recording. On the other hand, sometimes I get pops and clicks through the Microsoft Expression input.

See this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Lqj6-j05Q

You can see me start talking - before I remember to start recording with digicheck. I notice at 40 secs that I'm not yet recording with digicheck and you hear pops and clicks for those first few secs then no more pops and clicks b/c digicheck is on.

gswitz
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 16:58:22 (permalink)
As an addition, it may be that the screen capture software that I use doesn't use ASIO. I don't know. There's no setting for it. But the RME does show up so I can select the inputs. This may be why the screen capture audio skips and pops a little. It may be that when recording both using ASIO and some other stream method that the other one sometimes faults. I'm not sure.

gswitz
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 17:14:17 (permalink)
Bapu, not that you would need this help (I'm guessing) but if you happen to be making a mobile recording with a laptop and want to capture the recording with digicheck, I think it can enable you to record more tracks at a higher sample-rate than Sonar could support with a given hardware limitation since Sonar writes them as distinct tracks as it goes. The drive load using digicheck seems very low - since it only writes one file. I'm only guessing, but I do usually use digicheck for capturing field recordings where I'm not having to use anything but the RME.

There's also an Ipad app, fyi.
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18787

Oh, and the last field recording I captured I used Linux UbuntuStudio and the RME in class compliant mode. It was not a very important field recording and I just wanted to try it out and see what I learned. The biggest lesson learned was to zoom out the Ardour track view so I can detect overages/clips. I was zoomed in too much and didn't notice an occasional clip on an input that came off an external pre. Since the RME hardlimits clips, the recording was still definitely usable, but that was what I learned.
post edited by gswitz - 2015/01/31 18:09:37

bapu
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 18:01:20 (permalink)
I started Action then started Digi then started SONAR.

Started my song. For this test I did not want to do voice over. Played the song for about 30 seconds.

Stopped SONAR. The Stopped Digi. Then stopped Action.

I can play the video (saved in AVI format) in WMP.
I can play the audio in WMP.

Open SONAR, type V and then File->Insert->Video. Select the saved video. I get a tab in Multidoc (the only one) that declares it's a Video. The tab is black and has the "clock" in red at the top. I have a new track that is labeled "Video" (looks like an audio track to me ).

Having never brought a video into SONAR I'm only guessing here but when I press play I was expecting to see a video. Nope. Just the "clock" changed with the passage of project time. The tab stayed black.

I guess I have even more reading to do about video in SONAR.  

bapu
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 18:06:43 (permalink)
Just did a test with Action on my lappy using a Cakewalk UA-1G interface (in WDM mode).

It captured the vid and audio without any effort.

I suspect that if I changed the mode in SONAR on the DAW to WDM the same would happen there.

I'm not sure whey these capture programs don't recognize ASIO for me.
gswitz
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 18:17:39 (permalink)
I don't know why it doesn't show up as Asio in the screen capture app for you and working for me. For me, it may be for me that the video apps are capturing non-asio and Sonar and DigiCheck are asio? idk.

Sounds like you are getting really close.

So, if your captured video doesn't show up properly in Sonar (you should be able to see the video as you play back the track on the Multi-Dock on video view -- some latency when you hit play which you don't get if you close video view).

And in track view you should be able to hit V to see a video track thumbnails so you know approximately where you are.

Lots of folks when proving out that they are missing a codec (think quicktime installation) or something like that will use Windows Movie Maker to open and convert the file before loading it into Sonar. This can sidestep the codec issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/movie-maker
Windows Movie Maker is included in Windows Essentials. There is a licensing agreement to it (I've not read the agreement).

And if you can get Sonar to recognize the codec of the file, then Sonar will work with it. So, when my friends record video of the bar gig with an iphone or similar, I can import the .mov files directly to Sonar b/c I installed Apple QuickTime on my Daw. After doing that, Sonar started recognizing the video files and I could import them directly and then output them.
post edited by gswitz - 2015/01/31 18:24:33

bapu
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 18:32:59 (permalink)

ShellstaX
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 18:38:31 (permalink)
None of that post editting/alignment necessary with the Voicemeeter solution .

I'm sure the RME DigiCheck tools are very good and no doubt there are other alternatives.

Try a comparison and see what's best for you considering e.g. stability, sound quality, price and ease of workflow.

MS Expression Encoder/Screen Capture is still a very good video capture solution (at the right price - free) ... but e.g. the likes of Mirillis Action are now incorporating hardware accelleration to relieve resource contention and achieve higher resolutions.
gswitz
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 19:48:12 (permalink)
I didn't mean to hammer on DigiCheck too hard.

I think I misunderstood some of the posts which seemed to be telling Bapu how he could record sound separately from the screen recording.

The nice part of using DigiCheck for me is that I can multi-track the presentation, capturing the Sonar output separately from my voice while at the same time hitting record in Sonar and capturing different things there if I want. It separates the audio for the video into different tracks that can be mixed after the fact so the voice over can be understood above the audio.

Also, I noticed that Bapu owns an RME so I thought I'd point it out before he bought something to serve the same purpose.

I agree that there are a number of screen capture tools that could do the job. I don't think the version of MS Expression I use is free. It comes with my MSDN license and I think it is like this product for $249 USD.
http://smile.amazon.com/Microsoft-Expression-Studio-4-Ultimate/dp/B003D1FPEO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1422751096&sr=8-9&keywords=ms+expression&pebp=1422751116145&peasin=B003D1FPEO

The screen captures that I make and post to youtube sound ok at higher speeds and work for video at 1080p.

Bapu, the video you posted above looked kinda low-res to me and didn't have sound. Not sure if it was due to my connection or not. The Video Export options from Sonar are kinda important.

I have my width set to 1920
Height 1040
Bitrate 4569000 bps
WMV3 WMVVideo9 Encoder MFT
Audio Codec WMAudio9 Encoder MFT
Audio Format 44.1 16bit 2 channels

And separately the audio mixdown option set to export at 16 bit as well.

bapu
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 20:10:20 (permalink)
To be clear the vids I want to make would usually be short one-offs; "see how this is done" and not full blown tutorials. And certainly not for YouTube posting. This is just among friends or an occasional SONAR forum posting to confirm/compare reported problems with other users. 

So an all-in-one solution for < $50 is what I'm looking for. And of course with not too much trouble to make a quick vid.

ShellstaX
Re: Screen recording (software ) and how to ? 2015/01/31 20:23:57 (permalink)
All good, and similarly no allegiance with me and Voicemeeter - just an inexpensive and versatile solution that I've found useful.

Yeah, the full MS Expression Suite and conversion tools are/(were) paid - Screen Capture and basic encoding/conversion is free. (Interface/Quality incredibly slick for a free utility).

Looks like Mirillis Action would be a good bet ... regardless of the commentary solution employed.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1