Helpful ReplyCakewalk Command Center option to download only

Author
Tom Riggs
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1752
2015/01/17 02:37:01 (permalink)
4.75 (4)

Cakewalk Command Center option to download only

I am one of those users that needs to download on a different computer than I will run the software. I know that I can download things one at a time from the store and then copy them to my DAW however......

I think it would be a great addition to the command center if there was an option to download without installing.

I like the download manager concept but having the ability to separate the 2 parts of the process (download and install) would give additional control to the user during the process. Also for users like me I can setup the Command center to download all the files I need and benefit from it download manager process.

Anyone else see this as a helpful idea?

Edited to change the thread title to better describe suggestion.
post edited by Tom Riggs - 2015/01/21 21:10:01

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
My YouTube

AndyDavis
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
Re: Suggestion for the new Cakewalk Command Center. 2015/01/18 13:19:56 (permalink)
I think that makes a lot of sense.

They could even integrate the file exchange involved in the challenge/response part in there.

Don't ask the question if you cannot live with the answer.
Living Room Rocker
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 675
Re: Suggestion for the new Cakewalk Command Center. 2015/01/21 12:56:35 (permalink)
Hi Tom,

Actually, you can do just a download.  If you go to the default download folder:  C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Command Center\Downloads.  (You can, however, change that folder location to any one you want by going to the Settings cog and changing the Download Path under the Comman Center sention (at the bottom of the window).)  Just watch the download process with both folder window and 3C open and make sure all downloads have been verified.  Once done and before installation begins, click Cancel in the 3C to exit installation.  That's the way I've done it.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

Kind regards, Living Room Rocker
Tom Riggs
Re: Suggestion for the new Cakewalk Command Center. 2015/01/21 20:18:49 (permalink)
Living Room Rocker yes I can if I want to sit there and watch it. However that defeats the purpose of my request.

Also if that is what you want it would be simpler to just download each part separately in the store.

My request is to improve the function of C3.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
My YouTube

5MilesHigh
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 131
Re: Suggestion for the new Cakewalk Command Center. 2015/01/27 12:03:04 (permalink)
+1 (1)
The Installer should NOT EVER DELETE the DL'ed files. It sounds like this is default behavior, and needs to get fixed or at least have an option to not do so!! This is my first dance with C3.

New updates should be named appropriately with a date and/or version info, if needed. My ISP is really lousy, so I don't want to have to deal with DL'ing the files again if something happens.

Not to hijack, but I just started the C3 for my SonarPro DL's and then wondered where they were getting put. My C: drv is a small SSD (120GB). I certainly don't use my SSD for temp DL storage in any event, even if W8.1 seems to thinK 'Progam Data' needs to be on 'C:'. I ended up aborting the install, re-configuring the paths and re-starting. I know that I should have done the config first.  In hindsight, I am a bit surprised that the defaults weren't setup from a user dialog upon initial installation rather than using some 'defaults'. It took a while to 'see' the 'cog' and of course, the installation needs to get aborted to update them. It may be a common icon, but what it has to do with 'Settings' is beyond me.

The existing DL'ed files from a partial install don't get transferred to the new directory either. So, interruptions require starting over as well. If I spend time DL'ing then I want the files to persist after the installation. Particularly, since the C3 doesn't appear to be too smart about the whole DL process. I always keep my DL installation files on a different drive than the DAW drive anyway, so I completely agree with the OP.

Tom Riggs
Re: Suggestion for the new Cakewalk Command Center. 2015/01/28 01:39:05 (permalink)
It does not delete the downloaded files if they complete. It does delete the partially downloaded file if the connection fails.

My Music 
My YouTube

5MilesHigh
Re: Suggestion for the new Cakewalk Command Center. 2015/01/28 01:57:54 (permalink)
My connection failed 3 times during the DL. Usually, I never seen a connection failure so that was odd. C3 seemed to resume from where it stopped, though it may have just restarted the file it was currently working on after validating the other existing ones. But, it did leave the installers intact. I didn't much like how it then just went right into the installation. Your request for just a DL without an install remains valid and I'd prefer it as well. I seem to remember reading that the C3 is optional (at least for now) and files can be DL'ed manually which is something I'll be looking into next week. A FireFox DownThemAll may just be easier.

I usually move the install files to an external USB BU drive for safe keeping, but I suspect that may be an issue for C3 and I'll need to keep the DL's intact for it to inspect every time it starts. I really doubt that updates will be done by patches to existing install files and expect to just see the component file get a new update and replace the old file. This would be a good reason to have the old installer's around, just in case one needs to step back in time. It happens.
esoteric383
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Suggestion for the new Cakewalk Command Center. 2015/01/30 19:36:57 (permalink)
I agree with the painful downloads.  XLN's downloader is pretty much painless.  But downloading X3 Producer was a huge pain.  I'm in the process of downloading Sonar Platinum and selected "download all"....What was I thinking!  It was doing a great job of downloading all the plugs and extra's (6Gigs downloaded in less than an hour), then it slowed down significantly all of a sudden.  And the Command Center doesn't show you what it's downloading.  I assume it's loading the actual new Sonar Platinum DAW, which are likely huge files.  It slowed down just like this when I downloaded the X3 Producer DAW.  It makes me wonder if Platinum wasn't split up into 3 separate executable files like X3 Producer, which will make this even more painful.  Even if you select DOWNLOAD ALL, it would be good to be able to see in the Command Center which modules are being downloaded, the % complete of that individual file, and total file memory.  Just my 2 cents.
Tom Riggs
Re: Suggestion for the new Cakewalk Command Center. 2015/01/31 05:41:49 (permalink)
Thanks Guys. If you like the idea go to the forst post and use the stars to rate its importance. I think that is what Cake is going to use to judge the popularity of the idea.

Thanks

My Music 
My YouTube

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Suggestion for the new Cakewalk Command Center. 2015/01/31 05:49:39 (permalink)
Makes sense to me. This makes me wonder what percentage of users need this.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
heyrag
Re: Cakewalk Command Center option to download only 2015/01/31 06:37:06 (permalink)
My situation is slightly different but related. My home studio is in another building without Internet access (computer there is JUST for music recording). I just bought Sonar and thought I was downloading a master file I could then copy to a mobile drive or DVD but it installed it on my home PC. Now how will I get it installed on the right computer? Yes I know there can be on only one and have no issue with uninstalling it on my house pc. Surely there must be a simple way and I am not the only person in this situation. I tend to rush a bit sometimes and could have easily missed an instruction or 3 at some point doing the download. I would have bought a boxed copy had I known.
gswitz
Re: Cakewalk Command Center option to download only 2015/01/31 07:34:36 (permalink)
You don't have to uninstall Sonar if you don't want to, Heyrag. You are allowed to install Sonar on all your computers as long as you don't use them concurrently.

For example, it is fine to install Sonar on your studio computer (in the other building) your desktop in your house and your laptop with a single license. It would not be within you license to lend you laptop to a friend to record a live gig while you simultaneously record a band in your studio. Or if you have multiple studios where you record concurrently, you need multiple licenses. 

If you want to record on one computer in your studio and mix on your laptop later, that's fine and only requires a single license.

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
heyrag
Re: Cakewalk Command Center option to download only 2015/01/31 10:29:40 (permalink)
That's for the reply, and all GOOD to know BUT my problem is how to install it on my music (a desktop) computer that has no internet access, that is my bigger issue, I could go out there, unplug everything, carry it into my house, log on to the Internet and do it like that...but what a PITA! I'ld like a disk...or a file to put on a disk or Mobil drive...
5MilesHigh
Re: Cakewalk Command Center option to download only 2015/01/31 11:09:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2015/01/31 11:21:07
All the installer files should be in the C3 DL dir on your notebook. Use the cog if you're not sure where that is. Pop those files on a big (or several) data sticks or a usb drive and sneaker them over to your desktop. You'll probably want the installers on external BU media anyway. They are just files. Include the c3 installer. Run the C3 on your desktop with its DL dir set to wherever you put the installer files. It should start up, validate the files and start dumping them to your C: drv. I run the installer manually for better control, but apparently C3 isn't happy about that. Easy peasy.
gswitz
Re: Cakewalk Command Center option to download only 2015/01/31 11:32:35 (permalink)
Also, after sneakering the files to your studio and installing them you will need to do the manual registration.

Try looking here
C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Command Center\Downloads

If you hadn't downloaded already you could login and go here...
https://www.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Products
and then you can download the files without installing.

Offline registration instructions
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013384/SONAR-Platinum-Professional-Artist-Offline-Authorization

post edited by gswitz - 2015/01/31 11:41:13

heyrag
Re: Cakewalk Command Center option to download only 2015/01/31 19:07:35 (permalink)
Thanks, I think that info should get me in there. I downloaded the files again, and will try the offline activation method. Should work.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1