Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL?

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2015/01/31 23:18:14 (permalink)

This is one of those things in Windows I have NEVER been able to get the hang of and it drives me crazy. I'm sure at one point I used to do it.

You know when you click in a browser's URL field or the directory path field in Explorer and it highlights the whole field? Well then sometimes you might click again and it deselects it so you want to highlight the whole thing again. Hopefully without having to drag across the thing, or without having to click outside the field and click in it again. . I swear that at some point you used to be able totriple click to do it. Double clicking just highlights individual words. If I triple click randomly around the field then sometimes it works. Sometimes. But then I can't do it again, and I've never been able to work out exactly where I triple clicked to make it work.

This is not that much of a big deal of course, but nonetheless it bugs me. Windows can be so sloppy and clumsy at times. Why doesn't crap like this just work easily and consistently?

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

17 Replies Related Threads

Godling
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 01:31:28 (permalink)
    My way of doin' it...

Select a directory (to any depth) via Explorers left pane. At the top of Explorer, the current path will be shown with little black triangles separating directories. While in this 'triangle' mode (shall we call it?), right click the address/path window to copy it.

If you left click on the address/path window first, it will be turned into text and the right-click context menu will change on you and not be as handy.
    sharke
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 01:54:17 (permalink)
    Godling
    My way of doin' it...

Select a directory (to any depth) via Explorers left pane. At the top of Explorer, the current path will be shown with little black triangles separating directories. While in this 'triangle' mode (shall we call it?), right click the address/path window to copy it.

If you left click on the address/path window first, it will be turned into text and the right-click context menu will change on you and not be as handy.

Yeah I'm aware you can right click on the "triangle mode" to copy the address, but sometimes you do end up with the conventional directory path in the field for one reason or another (e.g. you wish to view the full path). I also know that you can right click on this and choose "select all," but I guess it's just annoying me that sometimes I can triple click on the address to select it all and sometimes it doesn't work. I'm sure there was a time at which this did work consistently, maybe in some earlier version of Windows (I'm using 8.1). Really, I'm just punishing myself since there are other ways to select it, but I'm one of those people who can't let something go when it's bugging him....

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 03:53:21 (permalink)
    I might be misinterpreting what you mean (still on my first cup of tea), but if I want to copy the browser URL, left clicking on the first letter in the URL highlights the whole thing.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 07:44:55 (permalink)
    Triple click works without fail on this system. You just gotta click really fast. Of course you also have to do it when NOTHING is highlighted so if one word is highlighted click once more to unhighlight it THEN triple click really fast.

If you do it too slow it'll just select one word instead of the whole thing.

I'm also on Firefox so not sure if that makes a difference.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 08:26:18 (permalink)
    Have you forgotten CTL-A? It works in SONAR, too.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 09:45:32 (permalink)

jamesg1213
    I might be misinterpreting what you mean (still on my first cup of tea), but if I want to copy the browser URL, left clicking on the first letter in the URL highlights the whole thing.

Maybe I have misunderstood too, but I just left click anywhere along the url and it highlights in full every time. Win 8.1 / FF 35.0.1.
    Beepster
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 09:52:56 (permalink)
    paulo

jamesg1213

Maybe I have misunderstood too, but I just left click anywhere along the url and it highlights in full every time. Win 8.1 / FF 35.0.1.

That's on the first click though and can be done anywhere in the URL on the first click. If you happen to click again then you have to do the really fast triple click to get the whole URL again.

This is actually something that occasionally annoys me as well because I'm used to using the first click to just get a text cursor in other programs then double clicking or or swiping to snag text. So with that habit I always end up losing that first highlight then you have to fiddle with it to get it back.

Up until this thread I would just click like a spazz a bunch of times until I got the full URL. Now I know it's a fast triple click when nothing else is highlighted.

Learn something new everyday... lol.
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 10:15:01 (permalink)
    Beepster
    paulo

jamesg1213

That's on the first click though and can be done anywhere in the URL on the first click. If you happen to click again then you have to do the really fast triple click to get the whole URL again.

Nope.  Click anywhere other than the address bar then click anywhere on the url. Works for me every time.
    Beepster
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 10:30:43 (permalink)
    Yup, but he's talking about while the cursor is still in the URL/address bar. By clicking outside the URL bar you start from scratch so the first click will snag it again. Totally works and totally easy but it could be construed as more awkward because you have to move the cursor to do it. With the triple click it can be done without navigating away from the address bar.

It really isn't any huge deal (or even a small deal) but I think sharke and I share some of the same curiosity/compulsions about silly stuff like this.
    Beepster
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 10:34:02 (permalink)
    And now I'm thinking... what exactly is the point of forcing the single word selections in a URL anyway? I could see it if say it snagged sections of the address (like the domain or a sub folder path) but it just highlights one word. I can't think of any time where I've wanted to copy just one word out of a URL and if I did I'd just swipe.

Windows, man. Bizzarro stuff.

sharke
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 11:46:49 (permalink)
    Beepster
    Triple click works without fail on this system. You just gotta click really fast. Of course you also have to do it when NOTHING is highlighted so if one word is highlighted click once more to unhighlight it THEN triple click really fast.

It works for me too - sometimes. That's what bugs me. It's like you have to get the speed exactly right to within 0.00000000000001mm/s or else it doesn't work.

James
    sharke
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 11:47:47 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    Have you forgotten CTL-A? It works in SONAR, too.

Yeah I use CTRL-A a lot in all my apps, I'm just being grouchy because this "triple click" method doesn't work consistently when it should.

James
    sharke
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 11:53:11 (permalink)
    Beepster
    Yup, but he's talking about while the cursor is still in the URL/address bar. By clicking outside the URL bar you start from scratch so the first click will snag it again. Totally works and totally easy but it could be construed as more awkward because you have to move the cursor to do it. With the triple click it can be done without navigating away from the address bar.

It really isn't any huge deal (or even a small deal) but I think sharke and I share some of the same curiosity/compulsions about silly stuff like this.

You're right there Beepster - I think you and I are the sort to get frustrated when going through manuals when one method of doing something doesn't work as described. There may be other perfectly good ways of doing it - that are even more convenient - but that doesn't stop the frustration you feel when one method doesn't work properly.

I experience inconsistency in other apps too and I hate it. For example when I'm copy-dragging appointments in my Outlook calendar by CTRL-dragging, sometimes it will just drag a copy of the appointment out and place it where I drop it as expected. Every now and then though, when I release the button a menu appears asking me if I want to "copy" or "move" the appointment. I could swear the programmers are just having a laugh.

James
    Beepster
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 12:08:35 (permalink)
    sharke
    Beepster

It works for me too - sometimes. That's what bugs me. It's like you have to get the speed exactly right to within 0.00000000000001mm/s or else it doesn't work.

Are you using a mouse? I think I'd probably have a harder time nailing it with a mouse because I find clicking with a flat forefinger more unnatural than on my trackpad (laptop) and trackball buttons (DAW). Then again I think mice are just awkward in general.

But yeah... you gotta get it juuust right or it flops. The faster you go the more reliable it becomes. Also you have to make sure all selections are cleared so if anything is highlighted the triple click won't work.

sharke
    Beepster

You're right there Beepster - I think you and I are the sort to get frustrated when going through manuals when one method of doing something doesn't work as described. There may be other perfectly good ways of doing it - that are even more convenient - but that doesn't stop the frustration you feel when one method doesn't work properly.

I experience inconsistency in other apps too and I hate it. For example when I'm copy-dragging appointments in my Outlook calendar by CTRL-dragging, sometimes it will just drag a copy of the appointment out and place it where I drop it as expected. Every now and then though, when I release the button a menu appears asking me if I want to "copy" or "move" the appointment. I could swear the programmers are just having a laugh.

I've outright stopped using certain programs and websites over "improvements" they've made. A good example, and one that has actually lost the site owner's my money, is a website for the grocery store I used to go to ALL the time. They have their specials flyer on the website. I like to know what's on sale before heading down. Before it was really simple to just get to the info. One or two clicks and I was there. Then they did this massive redesign with an INSANE amount of scripts, it requires you to navigate through a crapton of search pages, lists and whatever and once you finally get to the fliers it's a total mess that requires even more frustrating and unnecessary clicks, scripts and navigation.

I still go down there occasionally but more and more I'm going to other stores specifically because I can't get at the flier easily any more. Whoever did the redesign should be fired.
    sharke
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 12:58:04 (permalink)
    Beepster
    Are you using a mouse? I think I'd probably have a harder time nailing it with a mouse because I find clicking with a flat forefinger more unnatural than on my trackpad (laptop) and trackball buttons (DAW). Then again I think mice are just awkward in general.

But yeah... you gotta get it juuust right or it flops. The faster you go the more reliable it becomes. Also you have to make sure all selections are cleared so if anything is highlighted the triple click won't work.

I use a trackpad on my laptop and a mouse on my rig. Same problem in both cases. I've tried making sure the cursor is in the field with nothing selected, but it still rarely works. What usually happens is that a single word will highlight after the first 2 clicks, then unhighlight after the 3rd. Occasionally the whole field will highlight for a split second before becoming unhighlighted again. And if I'm super lucky, like maybe one time out of ten, the whole thing will remain highlighted.

Beepster
    I've outright stopped using certain programs and websites over "improvements" they've made. A good example, and one that has actually lost the site owner's my money, is a website for the grocery store I used to go to ALL the time. They have their specials flyer on the website. I like to know what's on sale before heading down. Before it was really simple to just get to the info. One or two clicks and I was there. Then they did this massive redesign with an INSANE amount of scripts, it requires you to navigate through a crapton of search pages, lists and whatever and once you finally get to the fliers it's a total mess that requires even more frustrating and unnecessary clicks, scripts and navigation.

I still go down there occasionally but more and more I'm going to other stores specifically because I can't get at the flier easily any more. Whoever did the redesign should be fired.

I've noticed a lot of websites go severely downhill after a "modern" redesign. The New York Daily News used to have a fairly good mobile website which although basic looking, was well organized and easy to use. Then they spent a fortune on a modern facelift and it's a complete mess. There's no rhyme nor reason to the way stories are categorized - national news stories and sports news appear in the "local news" section, while obviously local stories appear in the national news section. It's like they've paid a fortune to a developer to design it, and instead of giving that developer feedback in order to improve it before going live, they've just taken their word that it was finished and left it at that. There's another local New York news site which got redesigned about a year ago and ever since then, the main headline has been obscured by a floating menu bar at the top in every browser except IE. You'd think at least one person who works there would have actually looked at the thing and organized a fix but noooo....bugs and layout problems are par for the course on the web these days.

James
    Beepster
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 13:15:54 (permalink)
    On my system doing the fast triple click with nothing highlighted will do the following...

1st click) Nothing
    2nd click) Word where cursor is highlighted
    3rd click) Entire URL highlighted

As I keep playing with it it almost feels like trying to do a performance on my padKontrol. If I don't "perform" it as I've practiced it it borks out. I think we could even define a minimum tempo for it... which of course I am not nearly insane enough to figure out... yet. lol

Anyway I'm guessing different hardware may respond differently as well so maybe that's what's. I'm surprised how well the trackpad on this old Acer has stood the test of time (touch wood).
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Does anyone know how to highlight an ENTIRE directory path or URL? 2015/02/01 17:50:46 (permalink)
    sharke

Yes.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1