Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it!

Author
yummay
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 396
2015/02/01 01:07:32 (permalink)

Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it!

Hello !

I'm posting here a kind of "open letter" on the topic of audio over network solution (mainly, Audinate's DANTE solution). I'm now convinced it is the most interesting and practical solution available now and I would like people that are also sharing this opinion to participate in this thread!

Audio over network IS the future (not USB3 or Thunderbolt solutions). I'll try to be as detailed as I can be on the conclusions I have reached, while trying to keep this post as short as possible.

CONTEXT
I am a semi-pro producer / musician. Working on small projects on small budgets. I have to keep a day job in order for me to keep doing my "musical" activities. I need mobility, scalability, portability, and reliability. I've been working in the last 5 years using an ADAT/FIREWIRE based solution to connect my audio to my laptop running SONAR. Since firewire support has mostly been dropped, and Thunderbolt has not yet really gained popularity and USB2 audio devices are not always supported properly on USB3 ports I am finding myself STUCK in a "digital audio protocol no-man's-land" that will force me eventually to upgrade all of my audio and computer equipment simultaneously. I hate that prospect...

So, after some testing of USB solutions and after reflection on what I think are the basic needs of the majority of audio producers, I have reached the conclusion that audio over network solutions are a promising way to go! It feels to me that these solutions are the only ones that will offer some longevity...

So, I will now replace the ADAT card of my YAMAHA 01v2 digital mixer with the AUDINATE Dante Card and "go on the network" using the 30$ Dante Virtual Soundcard on my windows laptop.

Using CAT6 cables and decent switches / routers, I can adapt and connect my setup to small venues, apartments or houses I might be asked to work in.

Some people talked here that the latency is not that good on DANTE... Well, latency on USB and firewire is "as easily" just as bad I guess. Anyway I feel it is always best to use an hardware mixer for my musicians, to avoid latency issues. So, I'll still use the 01v with this approach in mind (using direct outs that SONAR will capture). In 2015, latency issues should be a thing of the past. This hardware / software manufacturer's problem should not be OURS anymore. So, I'll do my best to ignore and bypass it.

SO... Dante will offer me 16 bi-directional audio flows, scalability (I can add more input/devices when needed), it will allow me to save a lot of money on XLR snakes and other installation issues and all of this using protocols and equipment that should not get "dropped" for at least a decade (I hope)....

I feel this approach makes sense for the "home producer" just as well as the "pro - large venue" big-bucks-studio-owners.

So, allow me to be loud and clear, to HELL with USB3 and Thunderbolt!!!

... Your thoughts...??  

Yummay,
Amuses-gueules sonores
Bite-sized sounds and harmonic entrées

Dell Studio 1747 (I7), Tascam US20x20, Yamaha 01v96V2 / Behringer ADA 8000, Godin LGXT+ Roland GR-09, Behringer Motor 49. Windows 10 (64), Sonar Platinum, Komplete 10, Sound Forge 10, Vegas pro 9, Waves Gold.

16 Replies Related Threads

Larry Jones
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 834
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/01 01:38:29 (permalink)
    I first read about this 15 years ago. It seemed too good to be true, and it must have been , since to date I'm not aware of any wave of adoption in the field.

What exactly are the latency issues? Do you use a gigabit network? If you have to use a mixer to avoid unacceptable latency, that kind of reduces the viability, doesn't it, or at least restricts it to people with enough budget to get a mixer.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/01 10:22:04 (permalink)
    I've seen such a system in action, about 6 years ago. It was being used by the Cakewalk staff to record a live concert, recording 16 tracks over Ethernet using the Euphonix EuCom protocol. I think they said it could handle up to 24 tracks. I dismissed it at the time because although interesting, it was a far too expensive setup for me to ever consider.

But this is great news, that there's an inexpensive alternative. Something to consider down the road, assuming it doesn't become an abandoned technology like Thunderbolt seems doomed to be. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    yummay
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/01 10:28:45 (permalink)
    Product list of Dante-enabled devices by different manufacturers.

https://www.audinate.com/products/dante-enabled

To name a few : shure, focusrite, A&H, Roland...
    Check out also Audinate's YouTube channel.

Yummay,
    Amuses-gueules sonores

Dell Studio 1747 (I7), Tascam US20x20, Yamaha 01v96V2 / Behringer ADA 8000, Godin LGXT+ Roland GR-09, Behringer Motor 49. Windows 10 (64), Sonar Platinum, Komplete 10, Sound Forge 10, Vegas pro 9, Waves Gold.
    yummay
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/01 10:37:59 (permalink)
    Thanks Bitflipper, for your post. Always reassuring to see that guys who know their stuff finds posts from amateurs like me a bit interesting.

I've ben reading and watching a lot of stuff about this in the last few days. I stongly think de should seriously consider this tech... And let the bakers know se are!!!

Yummay,
    Amuses-gueules sonores

TerraSin
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/01 14:00:12 (permalink)
    This is very interesting and it kind of makes sense. I'm surprised more companies haven't jumped on the bandwagon. It's the same thing with stage lighting as well. Ethernet has been used on a few fixtures and works pretty well but many companies never jumped on it.
    yummay
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/01 15:20:05 (permalink)
    guys, the more I think of it, the more I am convinced that AUDINATE'S approach to leverage trusted network infrastructures to transmit audio TO and FROM any device that is connected to it is nothing short than as relevant and STRONG as was the implementation of the first MIDI protocol / standard! Remember?

- It had to be cost-effective
    - It had to rely on already available technology (for the most of it)
    - Audio / synth manufacturers had to come together to form a larger community that could better influence technology's evolution (Ok... that's more how I am seeing it... but hey, the DAW/Audio community is small... if we want evolutions to go a little bit our ways, we have to stop being that little "audio community bunch of geeks"... we have to connect to something greater than us... audio geeks like to "connect" things, right? Also WHO DOES NOT NEED DECENT NETWORK INFRASTRUCTURE IN 2015??? Nobody. Every businesses, homes, schools, everybody needs network!

... got to go... more later...
    post edited by yummay - 2015/02/01 19:43:39

Yummay,
    Amuses-gueules sonores

SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/01 17:26:21 (permalink)
    Dante, from what I can tell from it's design is a fairly *good* compromise on an ethernet audio protocol. It's not routable, but for live needs I can't see where it would need to. The biggest hurdle for audio is coexisting with IT type traffic - so if it can be done here without too much impact, so much the better.

There are other solutions, AVB (over the top, IMHO), and AES50 (non-ethernet)... AES50 (Behringer/Midas) looks interesting, it uses ethernet media, but the adapters are custom.

laudem Deo
    yummay
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/01 19:41:57 (permalink)
    Food for evaluations....

Dante Just Got Easy (Designing Dante Networks) : http://youtu.be/p1TKxj9AIhY
    LSC Presents "Dante Digital Networking On Set" : http://youtu.be/Nj6Hh980xpk
    DANTE audio networking : http://youtu.be/aK4s-_G4C2s
    CTW InfoComm 2014 Coverage: Audinate Dante Via : http://youtu.be/GgNryHM5wf0
    Dante Via: Make Any Computer A Networked Audio I/… : http://youtu.be/VV59Il6Uu7II

... And still searching...

Yummay,
    Amuses-gueules sonores

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/01 20:57:02 (permalink)
    5 years ago when I was a student, I thought it made a lot of sense for stadium sound systems and other situations where you have substantial distance between the FOH and the stage.

For me, I can put the my RME at the lead edge of the stage and be 15 feet back recording and mixing with an ipad (wired usb). That works well enough for me on my budget.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Larry Jones
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 834
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/01 23:44:10 (permalink)
    SuperG
    Dante, from what I can tell from it's design is a fairly *good* compromise on an ethernet audio protocol. It's not routable, but for live needs I can't see where it would need to. The biggest hurdle for audio is coexisting with IT type traffic - so if it can be done here without too much impact, so much the better.

There are other solutions, AVB (over the top, IMHO), and AES50 (non-ethernet)... AES50 (Behringer/Midas) looks interesting, it uses ethernet media, but the adapters are custom.

I wouldn't think you'd ever try to implement this on an existing ethernet with email traffic, etc. already going on. You'd always use custom adapters and the network would be ad hoc -- set up for audio.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/02 00:19:30 (permalink)
    Hey if your looking to sell your MY8AT ADAT card. I have the 01V and have always wanted one. 
    http://www.yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/product_detail.php?prodID=1080

PM me

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/02 06:47:23 (permalink)
    yummay
    Some people talked here that the latency is not that good on DANTE... Well, latency on USB and firewire is "as easily" just as bad I guess. Anyway I feel it is always best to use an hardware mixer for my musicians, to avoid latency issues. So, I'll still use the 01v with this approach in mind (using direct outs that SONAR will capture). In 2015, latency issues should be a thing of the past. This hardware / software manufacturer's problem should not be OURS anymore. So, I'll do my best to ignore and bypass it.

Dante features/convenience are fantastic.
    Where Dante falls flat is if you need low round-trip latency.
    The lowest round-trip latency that you'll achieve is ~10ms
    If you want the ability to effectively play/monitor in realtime (thru software based EFX/processing), you need round-trip latency at about half that amount.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/02 09:30:31 (permalink)
    I was wondering about the latency.  Hard to find figures on it.  Jim, is that 10ms just the software by Audinate's software or the Focusrite hardware.  If that is the case it suddenly becomes $1000.  What I do like is the Focusrite digital in/out unit and the fact that Burl is going to DANTE - two big pluses.

I see DANTE as a good solution to a house solution where you need to switch audio around the building.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/02 12:35:11 (permalink)
    Larry Jones
    SuperG

I wouldn't think you'd ever try to implement this on an existing ethernet with email traffic, etc. already going on. You'd always use custom adapters and the network would be ad hoc -- set up for audio.

That's the point. It's just that expectations seem to want a bit more - i.e. using IT ethernet adapters, sticking a WIFI access point adapter on it so you can control via a tablet, etc. I agree though, a dedicated ethernet plant, or dedicated digital whatever transfer media in use is the way to go. All of which rub a bit of the the shine off of AVB and Dante....

laudem Deo
    brconflict
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1891
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/02 13:34:56 (permalink)
    In the future, your CPU and the software you run on it can be in the cloud. All you really need is an audio and video interface along with your clicks and key-strokes. Since bandwidth is only going to increase (we're getting Google Fiber here in Nashville!!), the requirements of audio and video will only need to go as far as your eyes and ears can detect. Once bandwidth outpaces that, it's all rudimentary.

20 years ago, I had an idea that until only recently has become a reality. A Digital snake! Yep, all I needed were the A/D and D/A converters to do it the rest was easy, since the bandwidth needed was fixed, and the distance for the fiber was 1500 feet! I worked for a telecomm firm that was heating up the market on fiber technologies in multiplexing, so, if we could do this for data, it wasn't really that difficult to make it happen in the Live sound arena. Now we have MADI and such services, many of which I personally believe took a LOOOONG time to evolve. Technology is swift in some ways, and painfully slow in others.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
    yummay
    Re: Open letter - audio over network IS the future !! Say so if you also believe it! 2015/02/03 00:35:15 (permalink)
    I've realized today that AVB is more of the "open standard" type than I first tought of... (Audinate's solution is proprietary... they sell licenses...) Somehow until now, I've understood it the other way around... my bad...

AVB might be a little overkill / expensive, but just because of the shift of perception I've had today I have become interested again in MOTU'S new line of avb interfaces...

Yummay,
    Amuses-gueules sonores

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1