New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist!

Author
Drone7
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 199
2015/02/01 13:02:27 (permalink)

New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist!

These appear to be remarkably similar in their standard features and included palette of plugins, except that Pro Tools is free, and Sonar Artist is $99. Could this turn-out to be an ingenious tactic from Avid? Is there potential for this to be detrimental to the sales of Sonar Artist or even Sonar Professional? I'm thinking it could actually be putting a cat among the pigeons. Very shrewd Avid! If someone were to be clever, they could take Pro Tools Free and then spend $199 on desired third-party plugins and easily end-up with a package on-par with Sonar Professional.

It appears that Avid is offering an attractive means for producers to get familiar with the Pro Tools methodology, as if Avid is saying "Come and see why Pro Tools is better, use it with the same editing features as the full version etc, you wont be disappointed, and it's free, so you've got nothing to lose."
It is limited to a total of 16 midi tracks and 16 instrument tracks and 16 audio tracks total, but that is basically a free 48 track studio. More than sufficient for many home producers.

The other amazing thing is that it doesn't require iLok protection to use it. 

The Free version of Presonus "Studio One" has no show next to this, because it won't allow use of any VST plugins.

post edited by Drone7 - 2015/02/01 13:15:44

14 Replies Related Threads

DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/01 13:17:20 (permalink)
    D:
    Don't worry there is no threat  We'll all survive.  The last time I checked you could install as many DAW products on your computer as you want and can afford.  Last inventory on my main workstation reveals there are at least six.  Garage Band didn't seem to smack the Windows DAW world too much and Pro Tools first is nothing compared to Reaper (By the way start ticking away as this thread's about to be moved - and rightly so).  

I use, teach and love Sonar.  I see a great niche for a free version of PT for collaborative purposes.  I use PT regularly and it integrates well in my Sonar workflow.  If you're interested I'll share the extensive compatibility they possess for the commercial audio and video projects I do.  

Partial Tools 'First'  - remember the First shall be last and the last shall be first .... Thread moved

-D

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/01 13:25:29 (permalink)
    I think you might want to read the small print a bit closer. It's only "free" for a couple of projects then you have to start paying if you want to actually save anything further. FYI this has already been covered in a thread in the forum that this will no doubt be moved to very soon.
    jimst57
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/01 13:26:49 (permalink)
    While you may see these products as "remarkably similar" I see don't even see them as remotely similar.
    Pro Tools First has limited audio and MIDI track counts, no local storage of sessions, and no VST support. You can't open a session created with it in Pro Tools, and the only plugins you can use are the AAX ones designed for it.
    Sonar Artist has unlimited track support, local storage of sessions, and VST support. I'd rather have those features any day. 
    Drone7
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/01 13:36:12 (permalink)
    jimst57
    While you may see these products as "remarkably similar" I see don't even see them as remotely similar.
    Pro Tools First has limited audio and MIDI track counts, no local storage of sessions, and no VST support. You can't open a session created with it in Pro Tools, and the only plugins you can use are the AAX ones designed for it.
    Sonar Artist has unlimited track support, local storage of sessions, and VST support. I'd rather have those features any day. 

Good point! I checked the fine-print and found these frightening limitations to it...

1: Only plug-ins purchased through the Avid Marketplace with your Avid Master Account will work with Pro Tools | First.
    2: Unlike Pro Tools and Pro Tools | HD software where an unlimited number of sessions can be stored locally on your computer’s hard disk, projects for Pro Tools | First are stored in the cloud on Avid Servers, accessed through your Avid Master Account from anywhere. Avid provides up to three free projects (songs) with Pro Tools | First. We will offer additional Pro Tools | First projects to purchase from the Avid Marketplace in the near future. 

Looks like Avid have a sense of humour, either that or they're incredibly idiotic. This has got to be the lamest attempt at poaching other DAW users that i've ever seen.
    post edited by Drone7 - 2015/02/01 14:31:30
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/01 14:15:09 (permalink)
    FYI there was a Pro Tools Free in the past, but Avid stopped offering it. The difference is it really was free compared to what's being offered now although of course, it had major limitations.

At least with the Pro Tools subscription program you don't get to keep what you buy, so there's a differentiation from SONAR.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    TerraSin
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/01 14:22:16 (permalink)
    The smart thing about the way Avid is doing it is they offer it for free for those few projects, then people buy into it cause they now would likely be comfortable using it. Granted, it won't be a huge number that buys into it, but likely enough to make it worth their while to do it that way.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/01 14:34:40 (permalink)
    TerraSin
    The smart thing about the way Avid is doing it is they offer it for free for those few projects, then people buy into it cause they now would likely be comfortable using it. Granted, it won't be a huge number that buys into it, but likely enough to make it worth their while to do it that way.

Then it's not much different from a trial version..you get to do some stuff for free, and if you like it, then you can buy it. The biggest problem I have is I'm not comfortable having all my projects stored in the cloud.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Drone7
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/01 14:38:39 (permalink)
    So Avid offers the standard version of Pro Tools for a ridiculous $899, and then tries to entice people into it with what amounts to an extremely restricted tease version. Very lame! This world never ceases to amaze me. I thought I had seen it all lol

Looks like the best value DAW title will be a battle between Studio One and Sonar.
    post edited by Drone7 - 2015/02/01 14:45:24
    rontarrant
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 643
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/01 14:49:31 (permalink)
    Anderton
    The biggest problem I have is I'm not comfortable having all my projects stored in the cloud.

+1 for that.

-Ron T.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    MSI GE72 2QF-247US, 12 gb, Focusrite 6i6, AT-2020
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 10 x64, Sonar Platinum
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/01 15:12:47 (permalink)
    If it's a matter of learning the basics of recording, MIDI editing and mixing then the beginner who doesn't want to spend a lot would be better off downloading the trial of Reaper, which has no limitations other than an annoying countdown on startup, and is only $60 for a non-commercial license. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/01 15:17:02 (permalink)
    Drone7
    So Avid offers the standard version of Pro Tools for a ridiculous $899, and then tries to entice people into it with what amounts to an extremely restricted tease version. Very lame! This world never ceases to amaze me. I thought I had seen it all lol

Looks like the best value DAW title will be a battle between Studio One and Sonar.

You can get Pro Tools for $699 from Sweetwater (still more expensive than Sonar, I know, but it's not $899).
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PT11Soft-e

As a matter of fact, there are options if one needs to run Pro Tools. Pro Tools 11 cost me $298 ($99 for Pro Tools MP and $199 for the upgrade to 11). 

Pro Tools being the de facto standard in the industry, I personally think that it's nice that people who don't want to invest $ in it can grab a free version for a one off collaboration. 

It is not meant as a replacement for your current DAW, though obviously, there is a marketing strategy behind it. 

EDIT: In regards to pricing, the OP was correct - $899 for PT 12, even though 11 is still available for less. See this thread for a better explanation of the pricing and subscription model and what it means for users. http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3167975
    post edited by Rain - 2015/02/05 15:08:25

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    FCCfirstclass
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 969
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/01 15:33:36 (permalink)
    Anderton
    TerraSin

Then it's not much different from a trial version..you get to do some stuff for free, and if you like it, then you can buy it. The biggest problem I have is I'm not comfortable having all my projects stored in the cloud.

+100 Craig.

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/01 19:12:34 (permalink)
    I was in the market for a rack mounted amp simulator and I found a deal where the Eleven Rack came with PT 11 and PT 10.

I really enjoy working in PT and I'm excited to be working again in SONAR but the transition from SONAR to PT was a mind bender. You have to tell PT everything you want it to do. There is hardly anything that seems automatic. But once you get past the setting up of the I/O you can appreciate what PT can do. But it's not for the "run and gun" types.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    TerraSin
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re: New Pro Tools "Free" version threatens Sonar Artist! 2015/02/02 13:57:00 (permalink)
    AndertonThen it's not much different from a trial version..you get to do some stuff for free, and if you like it, then you can buy it. The biggest problem I have is I'm not comfortable having all my projects stored in the cloud.

While true, it's the way they are promoting it that puts it a step ahead when it comes to the way consumers shop. They see the word "free version" and it's ultimately better in the mind than "trial version". Basic psychology at work to their advantage.

I'm half and half on cloud storage. I see the benefits of it but I would want to make sure first the servers are secure, reliable, backed up and that my work will never be held for ransom if the company suddenly decides they want to charge more for services. At the moment, Microsoft unlimited cloud storage that comes with my Office subscription is working brilliantly for me.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1