Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software

Author
knaggsdp
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2015/02/01 16:00:26 (permalink)

Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software

Hello, my name is Danny and I'm a first year student at Hull College studying for a diploma in Music Technology and Production. We've been assigned to look into a special subject for investigation which interests us personally. I've chosen to look at why there isn't any standardisation of plugins between the most popular DAWs in the marketplace. I use multiple DAW software both at home and at college and I wonder why when switching between the applications I don't have the same VST plugins for certain tasks, for example, compression and reverb. Every DAW has their own plugins which can achieve the same purpose but they aren't exactly the same in both the process, features, and the user interface.

My proposal is that we all need to have a collection of VST plugins which will become the standard across all the DAW makers who follow these new guidelines: -

• The collection of audio FX plugins which at a minimum will include a compressor (single and multiband), deesser, delay, equaliser (graphical and parametric), expander/gate, filters (low pass, high pass, band pass, and notch), limiter, maximiser, reverb, and a spectrum analyser. This list is not exhaustive.
  • All the plugins must work in all DAWs (ie, no vendor lock down) regardless of the operating system used (we must be able to at least use the plugins on Windows and Mac with Linux optional).
  • All the plugins must also have their source code released under one of the OSI-approved licenses. I recommend the three-clause BSD license.
  • To allow for collaboration between DAW makers for the plugins (so everyone can help with the development of the plugins), the plugins source code will be publicly available online at GitHub.
  • The plugins must compile in both 32-bit and 64-bit. But 64-bit is preferred.
  • Binary installers must be available for both Windows and Mac and available in both 32-bit and 64-bit and must be able to be installed side-by-side.
  • All plugins must utilise all cores available on the host for processing.

I would be very interested if Cakewalk would be like to action this proposal or if any Cakewalk users would like this as well. If you have any questions, comments, on what I have said here; please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply.

14 Replies Related Threads

gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/02/01 18:37:12 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Interesting idea Daniel, but I believe that VST is the intellectual property of Steinberg, who seem to have no issues writing code that does not comply with their published API.  You may want to ask this on the Cubase forum.

Glen

Platinum / VS-100 / 12 GB RAM / Win 10 Pro / AMD A8 / MP Touch Monitors
    Platinum / on-board audio / 4 GB RAM /Win 10 Pro / HP dm4 Laptop / stuff
    THpfft!
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/02/02 02:09:52 (permalink)
    I would add that the market seems like it settles out with companies releasing either for free within a larger release, such as the bundled effects and synths in the various recording software packages available - Sonar, Cubase, FL Studio, etc., and also with both free and commercial software that is available - that runs on multiple recording software platforms.

I think it basically works itself out over time, due to market forces.  Certainly not in all cases, but in lots of them.

Further, though there are indeed differing collections of included effects and synths with various recording software offerings, if you understand how to configure a delay, or a reverb, or whatever, then there is not really an obstacle when presented with the various different interfaces from these different collections.

Of course, the above is a simple characterization of my own viewpoint on the matter, and may differ vastly with anyone else's.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    knaggsdp
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/02/03 17:32:55 (permalink)
    robert_e_bone
    I would add that the market seems like it settles out with companies releasing either for free within a larger release, such as the bundled effects and synths in the various recording software packages available - Sonar, Cubase, FL Studio, etc., and also with both free and commercial software that is available - that runs on multiple recording software platforms.

I think it basically works itself out over time, due to market forces.  Certainly not in all cases, but in lots of them.

Further, though there are indeed differing collections of included effects and synths with various recording software offerings, if you understand how to configure a delay, or a reverb, or whatever, then there is not really an obstacle when presented with the various different interfaces from these different collections.

Of course, the above is a simple characterization of my own viewpoint on the matter, and may differ vastly with anyone else's.

Bob Bone

I can see where you're coming from, but I think it would be nice to have some consistency of "common" plugins across the DAWs.  Yes, you are likely to get near the same end result in all the different DAW with their own versions of the plugins but this is something I think should be made easier.

gcolbert
    Interesting idea Daniel, but I believe that VST is the intellectual property of Steinberg, who seem to have no issues writing code that does not comply with their published API.  You may want to ask this on the Cubase forum.

Glen

Yes, VST is IP of Steinburg but I'm not sure if you see my point.  I have posted on the Steinberg forum as well as I'm targeting all the big DAW makers.
    jackson white
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 283
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/02/10 14:58:57 (permalink)
    knaggsdp
     a collection of VST plugins which will become the standard across all the DAW makers 

They already exist. (I.e. Waves, UAD, etc. etc. etc.)

A proposal for a new standard must be supported by a sound business argument. Host (DAW) developers are competitors. What is the compelling need for them to collaborate on such a project when well proven alternatives exist?

--------------------
    Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
    swamptooth
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2229
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/02/19 23:39:01 (permalink)
    Hi Daniel,
    I'm not sure this forum is the best place for this kind of discussion... I think the unique dsp that different daws bring to market with these types of standard plugins enhances competition and creativity and in itself is not inherently bad for the consumer - I believe it drives innovation to a very great degree.  Any of these daw developers could get together and recommend or bundle a uniformed free suite of tools which fit your criteria while still offering their own versions, like the free tools from blue cat audio and melda productions.  
    I'd take a look at midi standards and how uneven the implementation is from both hardware manufacturers as well as vsti manufacturers.  maybe send a message to dave smith, who is pretty open to correspondence.  
    The other places I'd ponder this question is in the kvr.com developer forums and I would definitely get in touch with the people who host the kvr one synth competitions.  These competitions allow you to use one synth to provide all sounds, and you can use host plugins if they aren't extravegant, other than that all plugins/processing has to be available as freeware.  It's a really great concept imho.
    Another place I'd pose the question is the developers of reason.  They build a daw with conformity in mind.  A standardized set of effects and synths, with no audio capabilities and even said they would never include audio recording capacities in their program.  The latest versions of reason are a 180 turn on that original idea with audio recording, external synth control and a rack extension shop to expand reason with in-house and 3rd party synths and tools.   
    Hope that helps out and good luck in university.  

Best,
    Vid

Arvid H. Peterson
    Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
    Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
    Home-brewed VSTs 
    Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
    Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Member, ASCAP   

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/02/20 10:05:40 (permalink)
    gcolbert

Glen

As I read OP request - it's about stock plugins shipped with daws.

But it's pretty much up to collaborators to decide having a bunch of common pluginsas VST or whatever.

All daw makers seem to like the idea to lock users into their realm with them getting used to their particular stock of plugins. A natural response would be not to use any stock plugins - only 3rd party - and you are free to shift to any daw that fit your needs. That's what I did anyway.
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/02/20 12:32:47 (permalink)
    "stock" anything removes competition, it would never happen, just look at the state of internet (standards-based) since business got its monetizing mitts on it...
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/02/20 12:53:08 (permalink)
    I think Ubuntu studio and ardour are leading this charge. It is unlimited in scope.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    pwalpwal
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/02/20 13:00:31 (permalink)
    yeah but their charge is like 2 fields behind the commercial competition...
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/02/20 20:33:39 (permalink)
    pwalpwal
    yeah but their charge is like 2 fields behind the commercial competition...

True that. But they're in the game.

Have you tried it? Ever plugin reports latency in samples. Kinda cool.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    pwalpwal
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/02/21 03:06:43 (permalink)
    i do have mixbus but not currently installed, i like it but i'm waiting for the native x64 version;  i gave ubuntu a shoot a couple of years back but while ok for officey stuff i couldn't get a decent gaming fix :)
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/02/21 22:12:58 (permalink)
    It sounds like an attempt for a lot of collaboration  and pieces to fall perfectly into place for something I'm  not sure the benefits outweigh the effort and pitfalls. If stock plugins become standdard, incentive to innovate disapears. It's not like any DAW is lacking the basics anyway.  It's  like a solution for a problem that doesn't  exist.  For many it coukd be a step backward. I would be highly annoyed if Quadcurve were dropped in favor ofthe stock reaper eq. not that reaper plugs are bad, but i will take stock sonar or logic eq over most bundled eqs. 
    Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/03/03 07:33:22 (permalink)
    knaggsdp
    I use multiple DAW software both at home and at college and I wonder why when switching between the applications I don't have the same VST plugins for certain tasks, for example, compression and reverb. Every DAW has their own plugins which can achieve the same purpose but they aren't exactly the same in both the process, features, and the user interface.

The great thing about VST is that you can have the same plugins on different DAWs if you like. Each one will work in the others (with very few exceptions). So, what you seem to be suggesting is not some sort of standardisation across DAWs but a reduction in choice, which is rarely a good thing.

You might think it's possible to condense all the features into just 1 or 2 'standard' plugins but that is likely to result in excess complexity. For example, I don't bother with the analogue style EQs because they give me too little control and I don't care about the supposed qualities that some people like in them. But they probably don't want to use a standard parametric EQ because they value the ease of use of something like a Pultec and may prefer its sound. Which should be the standard? If you say "both", then why stop there? How about a graphic equaliser as well - but how many bands? How many channels?

• All the plugins must also have their source code released under one of the OSI-approved licenses. I recommend the three-clause BSD license.
    • To allow for collaboration between DAW makers for the plugins (so everyone can help with the development of the plugins), the plugins source code will be publicly available online at GitHub.

This sort of requirement basically compels DAW makers to work on something for free. Why would Cakewalk work hard on an EQ if Steinberg can just take it for free and put it in Cubase? Why would Apple create an amazing compressor for Logic if Cockos can drop it into REAPER without investing any money themselves? This would be a clear example of a free rider problem and you would need to provide external incentives to overcome it.

• Binary installers must be available for both Windows and Mac and available in both 32-bit and 64-bit and must be able to be installed side-by-side.

Here, you compel Windows-only developers to start a Mac development team (and vice versa) - all for a product that they can't sell and which other developers can use for free.

• All plugins must utilise all cores available on the host for processing.

That's an arbitrary technological requirement that doesn't make any sense. Not every audio algorithm is trivially parallelised. It's much more common,and usually more efficient, for each plugin to run on a single thread, so that the concurrency happens with plugins each on different cores, not each plugin spanning all the cores.

In short, what you're asking for is for developers to spend money on something that doesn't benefit them and doesn't necessarily even benefit users (since there are already many good freeware and bundled VSTs).

What would have more traction is for independent developers to start out on this mission. Let them create some high quality open-source VSTs, then all the DAW developers have to compete to be able to offer something better. The main downside here is that the VST SDK is not open source so it's non-trivial for people to join in development efforts. But maybe there are legal ways around that.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
    sharke
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Collaboration of VST audio plugins between different DAW software 2015/03/03 11:15:37 (permalink)
    Basically what you're asking for is a collection of free plugins. Such plugins are widely available now and DAW users have the freedom to pick and choose which ones, if any, they'd like to use. So I don't see the point of having a "standard" set of plugins. The free market has given us what we want where plugins are concerned. Also, DAW manufacturers are very much in competition with each other and I can't see them collaborating to offer the same set of plugins as each other. This is how it should be.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1