Around the world in 80 instruments

Author
bosone
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 167
2015/02/01 07:14:27 (permalink)

Around the world in 80 instruments

More informations here: http://www.alchemystudio....Mondo/GiroDelMondo.htm

I collect music instruments since 2001, when I went to India for the first time during my PhD. The very first traditional instrument I purchased was a sitar: it has a wonderful sound and immediately reminds of distant cultures and places. Just a few notes are sufficient to depict a distant country...

During the following years I had the occasion to visit many countries, both for work and for leisure. Each time, when I got in touch with a different culture with its own musical traditions, I have tried to find some very typical musical instruments. So, during my travels and over the years, I collected a lot of instruments: several of them are very ethnic and have their own story about how I found them and how I purchased them. You can read some fun notes following the songs and the links you will find in these pages. My general idea was to collect cheap and "odd" instruments, that I can maybe use in my productions to give a distinct sound and a particular colour. I also built a couple of instruments following some ideas I have in mind. But I also have a lot of other "standard" instruments purchased in Italy at flea markets and in shops. Some other ones are part of my life and of my "musical history".

I began to use these instruments in my songs and one day, in 2013, it came to my mind the idea to make some videos of myself playing my instruments, and to specifically compose songs to blend them together. I decided to put together sounds from cultures very distant from each other, both culturally and geographically. I decided not to follow any music-philological direction. I just played what it came to my mind in that particular moment, expressing my feelings and my musical ideas. I made very different songs, not confined to a specific genre.

Counting all my instruments, I realized that I have more than 80. I admit that in a single case, I asked a friend to lend me a specific instrument that I missed but that was absolutely needed to complete a song.

Eighty musical instruments from the whole world. And 13 songs that usually reflects memories of travels, ideas of distant lands, foreign cultures and traditional sounds, and depicts original atmospheres and soundscapes.

I finally decided to board on a musical journey around the world. Following the steps of Willy Fog in the novel of Jules Verne, I named my project "Around the World in Eighty Instruments": follow me and enjoy this musical trip!

Download from bandcamp: https://matteobosi.bandca...-in-eighty-instruments

Youtube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/p...8583JyKcdlZt6yfuGaVeW4

I'll be happy if you share my project in your networks! :)

listen to my music at
www.alchemystudio.it

10 Replies Related Threads

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re: Around the world in 80 instruments 2015/02/01 09:10:57 (permalink)
    Well, I watched about 10 of these videos and have to say that this was very interesting.  Once again, had I just listened to the music I would have probably not listened as long.  The music and artistry is so enjoyable but it's not the kind of music I would just listen to for long.  That's pretty narrow minded I know but it is what it is.  HOWEVER, watching it to the videos was just phenomenal.  So many instruments (not your every day ones) and you have a working knowledge and ability to play all of them.  I'm totally impressed and thank you for posting this.  We have a museum in Phoenix called MIM (Musical Instrument Museum). It is an amazing place and has instruments from back in time and around the world.  Quite an amazing display.  It takes a few days to go through and see everything. This would be a nice piece to display there (the videos).   Great work, sir.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    bosone
    Re: Around the world in 80 instruments 2015/02/01 09:25:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for the kind words! :)
    well, i agree that the songs must be listened AND watched... :)

listen to my music at
    www.alchemystudio.it
    drma173
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 752
    Re: Around the world in 80 instruments 2015/02/01 16:06:55 (permalink)
    I watch the youtube videos and those vids are awsome man. I watched about 6 of them, I subbed i will watch more. I never seen most of those instruments very amazing work man.
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: Around the world in 80 instruments 2015/02/01 23:03:46 (permalink)
    bosone
     I just played what it came to my mind in that particular moment,

That's where the best stuff comes from.
    I'm pretty much with Warren. The video really completes the delivery of your project.
    Although I could, and might, listen to this while I paint. When I like to let my mind wander a bit.
    Very cool concept, and i have enjoyed seeing and hearing the various instruments played so far.
    Whoa. Postcard from space. I've never seen a Commodore 64 that looked like that.
    Awesome souvenirs. When you play them, does it take you back to where you got them?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    bosone
    Re: Around the world in 80 instruments 2015/02/02 04:09:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for your appreciation!
    I hope that my music will inspire your paints, Robert! ;)
    actually I don't use the C64 synth very much but every time that i turn it on I spend a lot of time tweaking the sounds... yes, they reminds a lot the old good time when i played videogame all the day long! :D
    and, beside this, the sound of the SID is very very good...

listen to my music at
    www.alchemystudio.it
    bosone
    Re: Around the world in 80 instruments 2015/04/01 13:34:37 (permalink)
    hi again!
    I published the album on soundcloud, too:

https://soundcloud.com/bosone-2/sets/around-the-world-in-80-instruments

share and repost the songs through your networks! :)

listen to my music at
    www.alchemystudio.it
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Around the world in 80 instruments 2015/04/09 14:55:07 (permalink)
    Just watched a bunch of the videos....  I really enjoyed it.   I very much have an appreciation for world/unusual instruments so this is right up my alley.   

I'd love to do something along these lines, someday.  Just learning to play so many of these would be awesome!

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

bosone
    Re: Around the world in 80 instruments 2016/02/05 06:18:19 (permalink)
    may I bump!?
    ... adding this new "bonus" video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lYo-7V-OJM

listen to my music at
    www.alchemystudio.it
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re: Around the world in 80 instruments 2016/02/05 15:42:54 (permalink)
    Very interesting videos.  What is particularly impressive is that you can play them all well enough, in many different genres,  to pull these videos together.   Most people struggle to master 1 or 2 instruments in a lifetime.   Got through about 6 before it was time to get back to work:) 

Regards
    bosone
    Re: Around the world in 80 instruments 2016/02/08 11:23:00 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot! :)
    hope you will find the way to watch the other 7 videos! :P

listen to my music at
    www.alchemystudio.it
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1