Author
lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
2015/02/08 22:08:27 (permalink)
5 (1)

"Exempt track on solo" to use to exclude effect return busses from solo

I found this in Digital Performer(as I remember):

They have this "Solo Exempt" checkbox for a track/bus.
This exclude the track from any other solo attempts.

This is a very good and simple solution to effect return busses that you always want sounding.

8 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: "Exempt track on solo" to use to exclude effect return busses from solo 2015/02/08 22:13:58 (permalink)
    Check out "Solo Override", it is enabled by holding the SHIFT key while clicking a solo button.
    lfm
    Re: "Exempt track on solo" to use to exclude effect return busses from solo 2015/02/08 22:31:40 (permalink)
    And I thought I was a bookworm - thank you.

Have to check if this follow screensets or project or something.
    As help describe it - it sounds like temporary thing.
    Sevenduster
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: "Exempt track on solo" to use to exclude effect return busses from solo 2015/03/10 18:45:24 (permalink)
    "Solo Override" puts the selected Track in Solo mode if no other Track is soloed.
    I think the requested feature means the checked track is always audible- even if other tracks are soloed or not. But no other tracks have to be soloed to be audible.

Quote:
    "In order to take full control over your mixes and have quick access to individual tracks that are routed through busses or using sends, it’s necessary to use the solo safe function. Activating solo safe on busses keeps them active when you solo other tracks in your session."

Cheers, Axel
    lfm
    Re: "Exempt track on solo" to use to exclude effect return busses from solo 2015/03/11 07:46:01 (permalink)
    Solo override - taken from help:
    "When you enable on a track or bus, that track/bus will never be muted as a result of  any other track/bus."

So it's always audible - even when soloing other tracks.
    So I feel the idea is the same as Exempt Solo - but not a permanent property for the track.

You quote is from another daw than Sonar - and they simply call it something else.
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: "Exempt track on solo" to use to exclude effect return busses from solo 2015/03/11 11:36:58 (permalink)
    Sevenduster
    "Solo Override" puts the selected Track in Solo mode if no other Track is soloed.

No, it works as expected on tracks, but not on buses. Buses get soloed by enabling solo override.

Also, clicking the global solo button in the Mix module will unset solo override, which can be a nuisance.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re: "Exempt track on solo" to use to exclude effect return busses from solo 2015/03/11 19:49:14 (permalink)
    lfm
    I found this in Digital Performer(as I remember):

They have this "Solo Exempt" checkbox for a track/bus.
    This exclude the track from any other solo attempts.

This is a very good and simple solution to effect return busses that you always want sounding.

This seems to remind me of what looks like the opposite of your feature in Pro Tools.  There, you can select tracks, busses or auxes, that will be soloed along with any track you are currently soloing.  It's called SOLO safe.  I use it a lot.
    Here's a vid.  http://www.homestudiocorn...olo-safe-in-pro-tools/

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    lfm
    Re: "Exempt track on solo" to use to exclude effect return busses from solo 2015/03/12 02:53:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for clarifying - but effect is the same, any track soloed you also activate solo on these which means they will run audio.

Solo Exempt - is the same in practical use - such a track will sound normally when no soloing is going on, and it will still sound when you start soloing any track. It's excluded from the normal mute functionality when starting to solo another track.

As long as it's visible in a track that this will happend - this property is there when not soloing - it's perfect. I think it would be good that you mark it once - and done - soloing other tracks will not mute them.
    Sevenduster
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: "Exempt track on solo" to use to exclude effect return busses from solo 2015/03/12 06:40:11 (permalink)
    Yes, exactly. I think "Solo exempt" in Digital Performer and "Solo Safe" in ProTools do the same thing. And that is what we are missing in Sonar. ;-)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1