Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio

Author
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
2015/02/10 00:27:29 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio

Hi folks,

I've been having an incredibly frustrating time using Sonar and the V-Studio 700 over the past couple of months (I have both the audio interface and control surface). I bought the V-Studio used from a friend, who properly cared for it (and had it serviced in 2013 by Roland), and its in great shape. Sonar Platinum integrates with it perfectly, but I'm experiencing the same bug with Sonar Platinum that I had with Sonar X3e: whenever I select a midi line and attempt to "bounce to tracks", Sonar goes silent after it processes the track in question.

Sonar will bounce the midi to audio, and the wave form will appear in the new track. But when I attempt to play it, I cannot hear anything. The audio meter moves as though it is playing normally, there is obviously playback going on somewhere, but Sonar is silent. The midi track in question is also silent, and shows the same symptoms: meters move, track marker advances, etc, but not a sound comes out. I've checked everything: muting on tracks, soloing, levels, midi settings, mod wheel reset, etc. As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with gain staging, or volume, or whatever. Sonar simply will not make a sound. I've fiddled with Sonar's settings in every way imaginagble to restore the sound, without success. If I change the sample rate of the project in Sonar, then the audio will be audible again (but distorted, which doesn't surprise me), but Sonar will usually crash shortly after. Oddly, even when Sonar has fallen silent after a track bounce, windows alerts are still audible, and the V-Studio interface is still obviously functioning. But Sonar simply will not talk to it.

In order to restore audio I have to restart Sonar, and that only happens after a full system reboot. If I close Sonar and attempt to open it again without rebooting my computer, Sonar simply won't launch. When I look in the Task Manager, I will see the Sonar process still running, but won't respond to the end process command. The only way to kill it is to shut the computer down and restart it.

This happened today, on a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. When I upgraded to Sonar Platinum last week, I deliberately blew away my old system, and re-installed the OS into a brand new hard drive. All mobo drivers are installed, updated to the latest, and working fine, and there is nothing but audio software on this system; I've kept everything else off it -- no games, no other audio software, no antivirus, etc. The system is also isolated from my home network. I load stuff on it via USB keys. Basically, its pristine, and this install of Sonar is less than four days old. I've been slowly rebuilding my setup, reinstalling my sample libraries, testing Sonar's stability one careful step at a time. Tonight was my first attempt to bounce a midi track to audio. And the problem recurred, right on cue. I cannot overstate how frustrating this is.

I work in IT, and the computer system itself is all premium components assembled by me: Asus mobo, Core i7 processor with aftermarket cooler, a top-shelf Thermaltake 750w modular power supply, 16gb of premium DDR3 memory in matched DIMMs, Samsung solid state drives, Antec Sonata III case with silent fans (and I'm careful about airflow and cooling). Most of the hardware is 6 - 10 months old, and before I rebuilt it as an audio computer, it was my mainstream work system. In the 10 months I've used it, the system has performed flawlessly with everything I've thrown at it -- except Sonar. I had hoped a fresh rebuild -- with an emphasis on making it an audio-only computer -- might solve the problems I was experiencing. It totally did not.

I am using the latest drivers for the V-Studio, and all the latest firmware updates are installed. My sample libraries are either Play libraries from East West, or Kontakt libraries from Native Instruments. I also have a few Engine libraries from Best Service. All my samples sets are full professional libraries that run in mainstream playback engines, and they too are all updated and properly installed. I have no third party VST effects installed, aside from the reverbs and processors that came with Native Instrumets Komplete 10 Ultimate.

This latest crash happened earlier this afternoon while working on a short soundtrack project, and after rebooting Sonar for the fourth time, I gave into my frustration and downloaded the latest version of Reaper and started work again from scratch. I completed the project in 3 hours. No hangs, no crashes, flawless. It all just worked.

I have a long history with Cakewalk products, and have been a happy user of Sonar from version 3 onwards. I love the intuitive design and interface, the sound, the included goodies, and everything else about it. Sonar is a great program, when it works, and I'd love to keep using it. But right now, that is simply not possible, and what worries me the most is that I think I've done everything I can reasonably be asked to do, in terms of setting myself up for success. I have a solid computer system with proven performance and stability, a brand new install of windows, a fresh version of the latest Sonar, all the latest updates and drivers, and the use of great hardware.

The results, however, are unusuable. And now I have no idea what to do. I've written to Cakewalk, and I'm waiting on their reply, but in the meantime, does anyone in the trenches have a thought about what could be causing this problem? Has anyone else experienced this, or something like it? I've searched the forums, but did not find anything. Possibly I am missing something obvious? 

Thanks,

Rob

12 Replies Related Threads

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio 2015/02/10 09:47:20 (permalink)
    Hi Rob,

Can't say much more than been there, seen that ... I've had it happen that bouncing MIDI clips turns Sonar silent, same with that "Flatten Comp" feature on MIDI take lanes (which I reckon is internally a bounce) ... so I stopped doing either ...

Still, sometimes my Sonar X3e goes silent for no obvious reasons - all meters running, no mutes, yet no sound arriving at the speakers, requiring a Sonar restart ...

I suspect that this is an audio interface / driver issue (if it wouldn't be there would be a lot more complaints) - from your post I see you are using a VS-700 like myself (the VS-700R audio interface? not just the console?) which puts us in the same boat ... BTW, I recommend putting your specs in your signature ... are you on WIN 7 or 8.1? which VS-700 driver are you using? do you use VS-EXPAND to link 2 audio interfaces?

Even, though it's potentially a hardware driven problem (with little hope as this is in Roland's hands) there also used to something like a "silent master bus problem" a while ago (I think with X1) where more people had similar and frequent issues with Sonar going silent - I believe there was some fix introduced by Cakewalk as a response to that - so it might be worthwhile to go and read through these older threads to figure out if there is something else you could try to at least find out whether it's Cakewalk or Roland you need to bug for a solution ...

I'll stay tuned to this thread hoping for more info as it occasionally also happens to me.

Rob

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Amicus717
    Re: Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio 2015/02/10 12:48:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting. It's good to know I'm not the only one! In answer to your questions: VS-700c and VS-700R, and Win 7 home premium 64bit. 

I'm curious what you do as an alternative to "bounce to tracks". I find that even on the rare occasions when the bounce process doesn't cause Sonar to go silent, it will still sometimes hang and crash the software. Have you experienced this?

I'm also curious what your conversion settings are. I did some further experiments last night, and tried working at a sample rate of 48k, and for the better part of an hour I was able to bounce midi to audio without anything going wrong. Previously, I had been working at 44.1k. I was too tired to keep going longer than an hour, but I plan to continue experimenting tonight. Maybe everything is more stable at higher sampling rates? 

Rob

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
    listen
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re: Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio 2015/02/10 13:44:56 (permalink)
    Amicus717

I likewise use the same system and have experienced the no sound after bouncing midi to audio. 

I am not assuming anything - so I would ask you - when you make the bounce have you, or are you assigning that new bounced wave file to a "bus" and/or to the master.  In the midst of my oversight, this is what I would simply fail to do.

Again, not assuming anything - so I am saying when the midi file is playing and if you show the optional wave file while that midi file is playing the wave file is only a temporary file which is recreated each time you play through and/or stop and start - all in all it is not assigned to a track. 

Therefore, if when you bounce the midi to audio and it shows the bounced wave file in the track it will not play because it is not assigned to an out.

Now if the aforestated is "obvious" and with your experience it may be - then forgive me...

But this is what was driving me crazy before I recognized or somebody told me why I could not hear my bounced midi file.

Just saying...

- Listen -
    FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
    Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
    Amicus717
    Re: Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio 2015/02/10 14:47:51 (permalink)
    Thanks, I'll take a look first chance I get. I don't think that is the issue (I don't recall ever checking that), but I'd be thrilled if it turned out to be that simple :)

Rob

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio 2015/02/10 15:18:03 (permalink)
    Hi Amicus

Reading your long post I had forgotten by the end that you were talking bouncing MIDI to audio whereas I was talking about bouncing MIDI to clips (which just creates another MIDI clip) ... which is what I usually don't do or care about ...

Now, talking about bouncing MIDI to audio: I basically never use that "Bounce to tracks" options because whenever I work with soft synths I find it sufficient to freeze the track without "Track FX" enabled and then just continue working as if it is an audio track ...

"Bounce to tracks" I would only apply I want to "burn" the FX irreversibly into the audio file (which I never do as there is enough CPU power not to need that) or bounce several tracks into one (which I never do either for the same reason) ... maybe you could explain what makes you go down this road (as to me this appears to be a legacy option that is still around but not needed) ...

Anyway, I think your problem is more like that "silent bus problem" a few of us had occasionally and I think what happens is that after the bounce is done and control returns to Sonar and then to the audio driver something happens that knocks the audio driver off its feet ... and it quits sending sound to the outputs ...

While this is probably the fault of the audio driver, it would still be interesting to hear from you which VST instrument / synth you are trying to bounce (as I just today had to realize that my old adversary Kontakt 5 is back as the troublemaker ... and I think it was Kontakt in the picture whenever I had that silent bus thing).

I would'nt suspect the sample rate to make much of a difference. Yet it is worth a try - especially if you can reproduce your issue (which I could never, so I never reported it ... mine just appeared occasionally and then not again for weeks ... coming to think of it: I can't remember when I had it the last time and whether it's gone since I switched to 96 Khz recording) ... anyway, give it a try and keep us posted

all the best :-)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Amicus717
    Re: Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio 2015/02/10 23:25:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the great input, folks. Oddly, and to my great surprise, at 48k I haven't been able to duplicate the problem and everything seems stable -- which is strange, since I am positive it happened at all sampling rates on my previous install. I've been playing around with it all night, and so far everything has been fine.

Previously, the bounce to tracks problem occurred regardless of what library or samplers I had running -- Kontakt 5, EastWest Play 4.2.2, Engine 2, Alchemy 1.55, etc. I usually have at least two of these running, and often all of them. I experienced the "bounce to tracks" problem regardless of which ones I was using. Yesterday's system crashes were mostly Kontakt 5.

I used "bounce to tracks" primarily when I was getting to final stages of a project. Once I was happy with the tracks that I had laid down, I was in the habit of basically turning off whatever effects I was using, and essentially printing the dry midi sound of each track to its own audio track, and then re-saving the project as an updated version, closing the synths and doing a final mix and edit with just the audio tracks. I always found it easier and more intuitive to mix, slice, shift, comp and apply effects to the instrumentation using audio tracks rather than midi tracks -- especially for stuff like cinematic percussion. Not very efficient, I know, but I like working that way.

Anyway, I'm going to try Sonar at different sample rates, and see if that affects how often the system crashes on me. But I'm feeling kind of encouraged, overall. I really appreciate everyone's input. 

Rob

brunovaltho
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re: Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio 2015/02/14 12:22:21 (permalink)
    Hi Guys! Just wanted to eventually buy a Roland Vs 700 complete hardware...but seems that it doesn't work perfect with sonar X3 or?
    Can you give me your feedback?
    Yhanks!
    NeckHumbucker
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re: Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio 2016/07/28 00:24:34 (permalink)
    Amicus717
    Thanks for posting. It's good to know I'm not the only one! In answer to your questions: VS-700c and VS-700R, and Win 7 home premium 64bit. 

I'm curious what you do as an alternative to "bounce to tracks". I find that even on the rare occasions when the bounce process doesn't cause Sonar to go silent, it will still sometimes hang and crash the software. Have you experienced this?

I'm also curious what your conversion settings are. I did some further experiments last night, and tried working at a sample rate of 48k, and for the better part of an hour I was able to bounce midi to audio without anything going wrong. Previously, I had been working at 44.1k. I was too tired to keep going longer than an hour, but I plan to continue experimenting tonight. Maybe everything is more stable at higher sampling rates? 

Rob

I just installed the Platinum version to check put AudioSnap performance, and run into a similar problem. When I bounce AS'ed audio clips or freeze Virtual instruments, result would be a silent audio clip.
    Then saw your post while searching for a solution, saw that you use Win 7 too. 
    It occurred to me to change the SONARPLT.EXE's compatibility property to Win 7, and voila! Bounce to tracks etc all work now. Hope this helps.
    stinkydoom
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio 2018/02/05 05:22:12 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Read your trouble while searching for my audio troubles. Perhaps try Unchecking "Fast Bounce".
    It's an easy fix for me. Maybe it'll work for you?
    I'll explain.
    Had to go from Sonar X1d (which I had freeze/crash troubles on my win7 i3 but never had any troubles bouncing) to Sonar Platinum and a New PC with Win10 64bit 7th Gen i7-7700 4 core, 8 thread @ 3.60GHz with turbo boost to 4.2GHz,  32GB RAM, 500GB SSD and 2 2TB HDD.
    Speed and RAM are not an issue here and because it's a new system everything is up to date.

I'm basically having trouble with ''Fast Bounce". My BFD cymbals choke off, the static and pops within the wave file playback are horrible.
    My Quad capture and all drivers are updated and I had to use ASIO4ALL to get Sonar to recognize it.
    Still....Fast Bounce has all kinds of issues and it sucks.

I had to resort to Unchecking "fast bounce" and it seems to clear up the problems.
    But it didn't clear up the problem of silence and clicks when I press play button after the bounce. Have to wait for a bit before it goes back to normal.
    To me it seems Sonar goes to a place far, far away before coming back... Strange ....I'm still working on that.

Hope it helps....
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio 2018/02/05 12:21:24 (permalink)
    Which version of BFD?

If it's BFD2 or lower you need to engage Offline Mode before doing a bounce or export

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    stinkydoom
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio 2018/02/11 07:48:38 (permalink)
    Hey Bristol_Jonesey,

BFD2 never had a need to engage Offline mode before but it worked.
    It helped a lot!!!!
    Thanks!!
    I would have been looking in all the wrong places.....LOL!
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Sonar Platinum and V-Studio problem - "bounce to tracks" kills audio 2018/02/11 11:48:32 (permalink)
    stinkydoom
    Hey Bristol_Jonesey,

BFD2 never had a need to engage Offline mode before but it worked.
    It helped a lot!!!!
    Thanks!!
    I would have been looking in all the wrong places.....LOL!

Glad it worked 

I always had to engage this mode when doing anything like bouncing, rendering, freezing etc in BFD2

A look at the resulting waveforms after a freeze and there were always chunks of audio missing resulting in choked cymbals and toms.
    Strangely, kick  snare didn't seem to be affected, though their period by their very nature is a lot shorten than cymbals.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1