Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface?

Author
mikebeam
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 288
2015/02/26 08:31:33 (permalink)

Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface?

I learned a lot from a forum about TH2 - here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Overloud-TH2-Producer-vs-TH2-Regular-m3167826.aspx

Have some follow up questions about the Motu Z-Box.  I've been plugging in my guitar directly to the interface, but I'm not terribly impressed with the sound.  I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Motu Z-Box since it boasts to "give back your tone".  I've read mixed reviews, but one of them talked about the impendance of the interface... 

Don't really know what that is - I'm using an M-Audio Quad.  Do you think the Motu Z-Box will provide any boost to sound quality?  Is it just a passive DI box?  Are there other hardware suggestions people could give to improve guitar recording?

15 Replies Related Threads

pentimentosound
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1535
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/26 11:00:57 (permalink)
    SOS's review of it.
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/articles/motu-zbox.htm
    Fender and other vendors have guitar input devices, too, if your I/O doesn't have an instrument input with very high impedance.
    mikebeam
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/26 11:44:17 (permalink)
    I read that article and almost just went ahead and bought it.  I read somewhere else that, depending on the interface's impendence - it could not make a difference.  

This review said this - "Measuring the input impedance of the ZBox while it's disconnected from the audio interface shows the high-impedance input to be in the order of 300kΩ and the low-impedance one about half that."

My interface is an M-Audio M-Track Quad.  The specs from user manual say that the Guitar Impendence is 100k ohms.  

Soooo....  I don't really understand a lot of this, but from the sounds of it - this is probably a decent purchase for me.  What do you think?
    Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/26 12:26:04 (permalink)
    Supposedly the capacitor they use mimics the capacitor in the preamp section of Fender amps (which are obviously quite clean and crisp). So although the impedence may be the same the actual electronics may still make a difference.

I have a Focusrite which has a very nice Inst in (which you heard in those tunes I posted) BUT I may still get some extra sauce out of the Z-Box and for $60 I figure it's worth it. Also it would allow me to plug straight into my Mackie mixing board as well which would be very nice for the extra routing, level control and EQ.

Now you will have to take the following statement with a grain of salt because I simply do not know nor have I used your interface... but I do not think M-Audio really has the greatest Inst/Hi-Z inputs. That's based on reviews and I have tried M-Audio devices in the past but that was a long time ago and only briefly. I nearly bought an M-Audio but decided on the Focusrite Scarlett because of all the amazing reviews and I love the thing.

Still the Hi-Z isn't QUITE how I'd like it which is why I am constantly coming up with elaborate schemes in regards to my guitar/bass input.

If you haven't already do a youtube search for Motu Z-Box unboxing. It should bring up a rather well done video of a guy doing some pretty intensive tests on it. He does a sound comparison (which is kind of hard to tell the difference because it's youtube sound) and runs it through a fancy frequency analyzer so you can SEE what the Z-Box is doing. The analyzer shows a lot more complexity in the Z-Box signal.

That said there are other options. There are some DI box manufacturers that have whole lines of devices for guitar and bass that are tuned for specific instruments/applications. I forget their names at the moment but maybe I'll dig out some links later. That stuff is more expensive though.

Thing is you may not notice a HUGE difference with any of these devices. It's all very subtle but those subtleties can mean a lot to a sim and overall mix. It means less tweaking and notch EQing.

The other thing to know is those Inst. ins are kind of designed to take various inputs other than guitar such as keyboards (or so I've read) whereas the Z-Box and other dedicated DI devices are specifically for guitar.

You should also check out Craig Anderton's various articles about using guitar sims. If you google "Anderton SOS Guitar Sim" you should find a really good article about making DI guitar signals work a lot better with sims. I use those tricks all the time... particularly notching out the "fizzy/crackly" sound with and EQ. Those tricks are meant to circumvent the problems the Z-Box claims to solve.

Cheers.
    mikebeam
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/26 12:41:15 (permalink)
    Yes, I watched that video.  It was hard to really tell, but I could tell it was doing something.  If I could go back, I would probably buy the Focusrite for an audio interface too.  I actually have a Mackie BlackJack that I might go back to, but I bought this because I needed 4 inputs for a specific project and it worked great.  Never had any reason to switch back to the blackjack.  Overall, I think it's probably higher quality than most other M-Audio products, but I haven't done sound comparisons.  Functionally, it's been rock solid - never updated drivers, plug n play, always works as expected.  At some point, I'll get around to doing a sound comparison.  

I'm going to buy the ZBox - I'll report back in a few days!  

Thanks to both of you for your help!  On both threads!
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/26 12:58:36 (permalink)
    When intending to (or potentially might) use an amp sim, Melodyne (Melodyne can fall apart when trying to process a signal with harmonics already existing), or external send for re-amping it is best to actually record a clean guitar signal with the best S/N ratio you can get initially. You may be able to achieve this from your interface alone (would need to test), as you can record a track and then normalize it before then doing any of the above.

The advantages of an active DI box are to boost the signal for recording where the interface doesn't cut it as well as allowing for very low monitoring when tracking by also splitting the output giving you the flexibility of using a real amp to monitor while tracking that signal (which you can also record with a microphone if desired). To achieve these best, mute both the clean/microphone tracks while recording and simply listen to the amp while tracking.

The "purpose" of a DI box (for signal boosting) can also be achieved via any powered external pedal/processor which can boost the clean signal (which you may already have), but the routing of a DI box (two signals, one clean for recording, one colored for monitoring) may not be readily achievable.

As far as tone... the purpose of recording a clean signal is you can use EQs both pre/post processing (via amp sim or external re-amping) to color that tone to your heart's content. It is often easier to take away than add, so I always shoot for the best clean S/N ratio of the full signal on the recording and let the amp sim do the rest post-production. The biggest advantage of an amp-sim or reamping is you can change your mind down the road without having to re-record anything. Amp sims are the easiest to work with, and a post-EQ LPF in the 4K-7K range seems to have the biggest bang-for-the-buck to harness harmonics created which an amp itself would not.

I just wanted to throw this out, since an active DI box is intended to boost the clean signal, not "color the tone," per se. As long as you get a good S/N ratio, you also have the possibility of normalizing a recorded track and gating the normalized track to remove the boosted noise in most cases. Active DI boxes do have advantages in signal boosting and monitoring options while tracking.

With all that said, I looked into an active DI box in the past, but realized 1) I already had a processor to do what I wanted, and 2) didn't need the processor since my interface alone can achieve proper signal gain with low enough latency to monitor via amps sims once I streamlined my tracking process.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    pentimentosound
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/26 13:48:40 (permalink)
    I have learned to work with the guitar signal DI'd through my Tascam us1641, Rolls ADB2 (active) DI, and passive DI's. Lots of gear comes with a DI or line out.
        There is a huge range of DI type units from say Behringer-Whirlwind, up to Radial/Countryman, and all the wayup to the new NEVE one for like $269, or the big Radial JD7 ($1100!).
         If you only have one guitar, then one DI will "work", once you learn how it affects your tone. If/when you have as assortment of guitars, basses, baritones etc et al, then consider getting an active DI, a passive one with a transformer, and/or the preamp type(s) with DI/line outs. I like to track through a DI box splitting it into a pedal and an amp (which has a line out), and then mic the speaker, too. It's fun and always interesting to pick and choose, for each song or part.
       Bass has long been recorded that way, splitting the DI for clean and then taking the DI's "through" into an amp.

pentimentosound
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/26 13:54:10 (permalink)
    I think Beepster is referring to this SOS Anderton article
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul13/articles/sonar-notes-0713.htm

and this one on Bass is good, too
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct08/articles/sonarworkshop_1008.htm
    Beepster
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/26 14:44:02 (permalink)
    pentimentosound
    I think Beepster is referring to this SOS Anderton article
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul13/articles/sonar-notes-0713.htm

and this one on Bass is good, too
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct08/articles/sonarworkshop_1008.htm

I was actually thinking of this older one from back when sims were a lot less realistic and needed a lot more tweaking. The techniques are still quite useful and relevant... just not quite as necessary.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul11/articles/sonar-tech-0711.htm

Thanks for those other links though. I hadn't read those yet. The bass one in particular because I still kind of struggle to get my bass sounding right without screwing up my mixes.

Cheers.
    Beepster
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/26 15:03:06 (permalink)
    And maybe this thread I posted last fall will be of interest here...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/SOLVED-Recording-from-a-Mixer-into-the-DAW-Direct-Outs-vs-Aux-sends-m3075268.aspx

I was asking about mixer stuff but the convo veered off into DI stuff which is when Rain pointed out the Z-Box (first I'd heard of it). Lots of really heavy hitters chimed in on that thread including Danny who talks about his mixer with onboard instrument/hi-z inputs he plugs straight into. Very very educational and got me looking at a lot of things that I am now actually doing as I record even thoug my gear is limited.

Also check out some of the stuff Radial puts out for DIing guits and other stuff. Unfortunately their site isn't as well laid out as it used to be (used to have simple charts... now it's all wacky)...

http://www.radialeng.com/index.php#

I'd love to snag some of that stuff.
    pentimentosound
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/26 16:10:35 (permalink)
    This is the whole Craig Anderton SOS article page list, though you can't read them all (some?)unless you are a subscriber.
    http://www.soundonsound.com/articles/Sonar.php

I love the Radial stuff! I've got an X-Amp, plus the Gold Digger and Cherry Picker. I had a Classic ToneBone and am wondering what to replace it with, but ....certainly want to get at least 2 JDI Duplexes for my keyboards, and then there's a .............LOL

Thanks for the article link you intended, Beep. I used my Mackie(s) like that, too, back when I had a VLZ 24-4 and a 24-8
    (I had several 1202's, too).
    Michael

post edited by pentimentosound - 2015/02/26 18:25:15

i7 4790k 4Ghz 16gb+4HDD, Win10, ASUS G74s Laptop i7 2670QM 2.2ghz-16gb, Win10. CbB, Mixbus4, Studio One3 Artist, Z3ta2, RapturePro, GPO5, GS2, EP4, IK TR5, AT4, MP2, Melodyne Stud4, PSP(22), PS kits, BFD2, GA4, 18i20, PreSonus MP20A(BurrBrown), ISA One, Warm Audio WA76, ADK Thor, M160, RAB1, MA200, MA101fet, E100s, e835, EquatorD5, YSM-1, GoldDigger, CherryPicker, Kurz K2500, Aura Spectrum, ControlPad, PRRI, 17 ac & elec gtrs-mandos+bass, lap steels, banjo, fiddle, harmonicas+perc
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/26 18:01:47 (permalink)
    Most guitar amps have a very high input impedance, around 1MegaOhm is typical in a valve amp. Many effects pedals with poor bypasses, DI boxes and interface inputs are lower than this, which can result in the guitar losing volume and treble (it's called "tone sucking" on guitar forums).

Some amplifiers also have a "low" input which usually has lower impedance which means a cleaner but less bright sound.

MOTU don't seem to say what the input impedance of their product actually is. Boss pedals all contain a permanently-on buffer circuit with input impedance of around 1MOhm, as do some pedals by other manufacturers. Whether the Motu can do anything a simple Boss or similar pedal can't I have no idea, but unless it adds something beyond simply having the correct impedance...

Incidentally, I'd be curious how someone measured the input imoedance of the Z-Box. Input impedance isn't generally something that can be easily measured, at least not without taking things apart, tracing the circuit and a bit of calculation.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Beepster
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/27 13:39:52 (permalink)
    tlw
    Most guitar amps have a very high input impedance, around 1MegaOhm is typical in a valve amp. Many effects pedals with poor bypasses, DI boxes and interface inputs are lower than this, which can result in the guitar losing volume and treble (it's called "tone sucking" on guitar forums).

Some amplifiers also have a "low" input which usually has lower impedance which means a cleaner but less bright sound.

MOTU don't seem to say what the input impedance of their product actually is. Boss pedals all contain a permanently-on buffer circuit with input impedance of around 1MOhm, as do some pedals by other manufacturers. Whether the Motu can do anything a simple Boss or similar pedal can't I have no idea, but unless it adds something beyond simply having the correct impedance...

Incidentally, I'd be curious how someone measured the input imoedance of the Z-Box. Input impedance isn't generally something that can be easily measured, at least not without taking things apart, tracing the circuit and a bit of calculation.

I would be curious as well. However I have seen it mentioned many places on the intertubes (and you everything on the intertubes is guaranteed to be true and fer realz) that it does indeed have 1 megaohm impedence. I recall our discussions in regards to the Boss pedals and have created an elaborate routing/cabling scheme around my little studio room that allows me to use my TU-2 as a splitter. That way I can plug into any of my amps or other gear and still have a line going from the TU-2 directly into the Inst input of the Scarlett.

After a few very precursory tests though I don't really think I'm getting the best signal I can from this. It's a bit noisy (due to other issues), messy and kind of a pain. Also I have to worry about getting power to the TU-2. I prefer battery power but can't be constantly sinking money into 9v and adapters add more noise potential and an extra wire getting in my way.

Still it is a great setup and I am very happy to have those options using the gear I already have. What I really need though are some proper splitting options.

The Z-Box just seems like it would be much more convenient and it is pretty low cost but how useful it actually is remains to be seen. Seeing what that youtube fellow did and seeing how much more nuanced the signal appeared in his freq analyzer I think it's safe to say it does SOMETHING (unless he was intentionally bullpooping us) and it did look desirable for my needs. If I get the initial texture I can do the rest. Working with a crippled signal just makes things harder. I certainly do not expect it to work miracles though. Just nudge me a little closer to a better sound.

Personally I think something like that would be extremely easy to build if one had the knowhow. Just snag some caps and wire the bugger up. I could be wrong (I'm not an electronics dude which is probably apparent) but it does not strike me as complicated stuff.
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/27 21:10:32 (permalink)
    A clone of the highly respected buffer in the Klon Centaur can be put together very simply and cheaply. PCB or bread-board, three capacitors, six resistors and one IC. Kits for that and other good quality buffers can be found online. Here's one example of a Klone buffer kit from the UK -
    http://shop.pedalparts.co...r/p847124_6346591.aspx

The instructions give the complete circuit diagram as well.

The output is low impedance, but unbalanced of course, though over a short cable run that shouldn't really make much difference. I've not tried that kit, nor have I ever played through a Klon. I do have the EHX Soul Food however and if it really is the same circuit it's a very transparent buffer (and a seriously nice transparent low to mid gain overdrive as well).

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    mikebeam
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/28 15:21:18 (permalink)
    I just got the Moto z-box in the mail and plugged it in for a trial run.

I recorded three takes, one in the Hi-Z, one in the Lo-Z, and one straight into the interface with no other changes. 

The effect is definitely VERY subtle.  It clearly is doing "something".  The first impression that I had was that it just lowered the volume...  But after comparing at similar volume levels, I think the sound is a little bit warmer.  It looses a bit of abrasiveness that was coming from the direct in.  

Then I recorded three takes and compensated for the volume by adjusting the input on the interface.

I noticed a subtle difference.  I'm not entirely sure that I would be able to pick it out in a blind test though...  Maybe after using it more.  I noticed a bigger difference with single notes rather than playing chords.  Warmer - smoother.  Sounded like a starter amp.

It will also be interesting to see if the effect is more dramatic when running through some amp sims.

Seems like a decent purchase for $40.  I wouldn't pay much more though.  Good option for a musician on a budget, but perhaps not worth it if you are a pro or can afford better options.

Beepster
    Re: Motu Z-Box - Recording Guitar Directly to interface? 2015/02/28 17:57:07 (permalink)
    Yeah, try it through the sims. One of the big problems with DI guit and sims is that "fizzy/screechy" quality. That generally needs to be notch EQd out so it makes sense the dry signal would sound a little duller. It's probably yanking out those obnoxious upper mid range frequencies that causes problems allowing the "good" tones hit the sim properly. Curious to see how it works out in the long run for you.

It may be more noticeable on other sims though like Guitar Rig which I always had to fight WAY more than I do with TH2. I still notch with TH2 but it's never as extreme or finicky. I think they may have compensated a bit specifically for direct input.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1