Platinum and VS700C not working correctly **SOLVED**

Author
Beeej21
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 115
2015/02/25 19:16:01 (permalink)

Platinum and VS700C not working correctly **SOLVED**

Hey All!

After reading and commenting myself on this thread: http://forum.cakewalk.com/sonar-platinum-support-for-VS700c-m3159094.aspx , I felt pretty confident that I would not encounter any issues between Platinum and the VS-700 hardware.  As long as it functioned as well as it did in X3, I would be happy.

However, in my projects (even the older ones opened in Platinum), I've noticed that not all the transport buttons are working.  This is basic to me and I would desperately like to fix this.  Does anyone else have this issue?

Here are the buttons that DO work: All three big buttons on the bottom row work.  The STOP, PLAY, and RECORD buttons work fine.  The middle buttons on the top work as well.  The SKIP FWD and SKIP BCK buttons work fine.

The buttons that DON'T work are the two buttons on each end of the top row of transport buttons:  The JUMP TO BEGINNING, and JUMP TO END buttons are dead.

I use those buttons often, and to not have them working is a bummer.  I have deleted and re-added the Mackie Control options but it still isn't helping.

Do these buttons work for everyone else?  If so, could you share your control surface settings with me, please?

Thanks a million.
post edited by Beeej21 - 2015/02/27 17:36:08

DAW: Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Ultimate 64bit**Computer: Intel i7 980x HexaCore Extreme 3.33gHz, Kingston HyperX 24GB RAM, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB, 2x 300GB V-Raptor HDD, 4TB RAID-0 VST/Sounds HDD**Hardware: VS 700 System, Kurzweil SP2XS, Akai MPK49** SoundCloud

23 Replies Related Threads

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/02/26 04:39:32 (permalink)
    quick question: are you using just the vs-700c (in mackie mode?) or the vs-700 set???

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Beeej21
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/02/26 05:19:57 (permalink)
    FreeFlyBertl
    quick question: are you using just the vs-700c (in mackie mode?) or the vs-700 set???

I've got the set (the control surface and the rack unit).

DAW: Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Ultimate 64bit**Computer: Intel i7 980x HexaCore Extreme 3.33gHz, Kingston HyperX 24GB RAM, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB, 2x 300GB V-Raptor HDD, 4TB RAID-0 VST/Sounds HDD**Hardware: VS 700 System, Kurzweil SP2XS, Akai MPK49** SoundCloud
    garybrun
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 436
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/02/26 06:50:19 (permalink)
    The console buttons you are talking about (Home and End) are working fine for me.
    I am using the v700 set.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Win 10 64 bit, English,
    Intel Core i7 4960X @ 3.67GHz, ASRock Motherboard, 48GB DDR3 1600MHz, Nvidea NVS 510, Intel 750 1.2 SSD, 488GB SSD, 300GB SSD, 22TB in SATA
    Hardware: VS-700 set ASIO, Presonus RM32ai, Studio Live III 32, Studiolive 32R,  RME Fireface 800, Matrox MX02 Rack, Roland Integra 7, Roland A-88, Edirol R-4 Pro, Focusrite Liquid Channel x 2, Jomeek Studio Channel VC1Qcs, Ultra Dyne 9024, TD30KV, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Monitors: Focal TRIO6 BE, JBL Studio Monitor 4412, SE Monroe Egg 150, Avantone x 2.
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/02/26 10:50:04 (permalink)
    working fine here as well ... no issues ...

are you using "VS-700" as Controller/Surface plus correct MIDI IN/OUT ports in "Preferences/Control Surfaces" ??? sometimes these settings get messed up e.g. when having multiple MIDI devices and one is off when Sonar starts ...

BTW, all the VS-700 sends are standard MIDI messages which you can listen in with MIDI tools ... so you can check (a) the vs-700 really sends this (mine sends Note On $91 33 0 and Note On $91 34 0 when pressing the buttons you mentioned) and (b) whether something else (custom mapping?) picks up these message and tries to do something else with it ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    Beeej21
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/02/26 16:02:29 (permalink)
    Thank you guys for your replies.

FreeFlyBertl, I grabbed a free Midi tester online called Midi OX and confirmed that all the transport buttons as well as everything else is working.  I didn't see anything on there relating to $91 33 0 or $91 34 0 but I assume that since I haven't ever remapped or touched anything, and that since it was working just fine in X3, then the fact that I'm getting confirmation on Midi OX means everything is good.

I checked and double checked my Preferences settings.  The ins and outs are definitely going to the VS-700.  It is confirmed by the fact that I have track names displaying and that I can play, stop, record, and use the jog wheel just fine.  It is these darned Jump buttons that are killing me.

So called Cakewalk support.  They were helpful as possible, considering the VS700 System is no longer even supported.  I was told to try the ACT controller setup which means I have the choice of setting up all the buttons manually.  That sounds painfully tedious.  But Josh at Cakewalk kindly sent me instructions on how to go about doing this.  For anyone interested, here is what the email said:

Instructions for configuring VS700 with ACT MIDI Controller

Solutions:

1. Setting up your control surface
  • Open up your preferences by going to Edit>Preferences (or simply press P).
  • Go to MIDI|Control Surfaces.
  • Click on the "New" button in the upper-right corner; it looks like a yellow star.
  • In the Controller/Surface menu, choose ACT MIDI Controller.
  • In the Input and Output ports, choose the appropriate input and output ports for your device, and click OK. (Some keyboard controllers have multiple ports for the keys and the control surface portion of the controller, so it may be neccessary to consult your device's user manual for information on which port to use.
  • If the appropriate ports for your device are not available, click on MIDI Devices... and check any boxes related to your MIDI controller, and click OK.
  • Once your settings are set as desired, click Apply and then Close the preferences menu. 
    2. Configuring your controller to work as an ACT MIDI Controller: Assigning the sliders and knobs on the controller to parameters in SONAR
  • Locate the ACT module in Cakewalk's Control Bar. If you don't see this, right-click in the Control Bar to see a list of the selected modules. In some cases, the ACT module is checked, but tagged "(Offscreen)." In this case, click it to uncheck it, and then bring up the menu again and re-select it to bring it into the Control Bar.
  • To bring up the ACT MIDI Controller interface, click on the Controller/Surface Properties button circled in red. 
  • Before creating a custom map, check the Presets menu for your controller. If you see your controller listed, you can select it, and SONAR will map everything automatically. You can then customize this to your liking. If you don't see your controller listed, please proceed with the following steps.
  • SONAR will automatically assign your knobs and sliders to your current tracks. For example, if you have six tracks, buses, etc., your first six sliders and knobs will correspond with the volume and pan settings automatically. If you don't have any tracks in your project at this point, these fields will be blank.
  • If you wish to change the knobs and sliders that correspond with each track, simply click in one of the green fields and you will see "MIDI Learn..." appear. Move the knob or slider you would like to correspond with the parameter you've chosen. This controller will now be assigned to the chosen parameter. Repeat for any parameter you'd like to modify.
  • If you wish to change the parameter that is controlled by the knob or slider, for instance the send or volume pan for a specific track, that can be specified in the Options tab. 3. Assigning the buttons and pads on your Control Surface to control various parameters
  • First you'll want to assign a Shift button on your keyboard to utilize two-button control. You can do this by clicking the "Shift Learn" button at the bottom-right of the ACT MIDI Controller interface, and then pressing a button on your keyboard that you would like to act as the dedicated "Shift" key. 
  • Then, switch to the Options tab in the ACT MIDI Controller interface.
  • You'll see three types of controller types here: Rotaries, Sliders, and Buttons. You can reassign the functions of each button on each bank using these menus. This also gives you the option of customizing the parameters assigned to each slider and knob on your controller, as mentioned above.
  • Now, switch back to the Controllers tab. The rows beginning with Shift B1 and Pad C23 are paired. The "Shift B" row assigns two-button controls, and the "B" row assigns single-button controls. To assign a button to each of these pairs, click in the "B" row. You'll now see "MIDI Learn..." in the paired fields.
  • Press a button (or move a slider/knob) to correspond with these two fields. Repeat for each Shift B/Pad C pair that you would like to assign. 
  • Now, you can control these functions separately. The buttons in the "Shift B" row will respond when you press the corresponding button while holding the button you have assigned to control the Shift function. The function in the "B" row will be performed when you press the corresponding button without holding Shift.4. (Optional) If you wish to further customize your ACT settings, there are four independent banks available for knobs, sliders, and buttons. You can select these banks and follow the steps above to continue customizing to your liking. If you utilize multiple banks, it can be helpful to assign button functions for selecting the "next bank" or "previous bank" for each type of controller via the Options tab.

5. Finally, as a rule of thumb for anything on which you spend any amount of your valuable time, always remember to SAVE! In the Presets field, type in the desired name of your preset and click the floppy disk icon to save your preset.

For additional help, or more detailed information, press the F1 key on your keyboard while in the ACT MIDI Controller interface to bring up the offline help. 

• DAW: Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Ultimate 64bit**Computer: Intel i7 980x HexaCore Extreme 3.33gHz, Kingston HyperX 24GB RAM, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB, 2x 300GB V-Raptor HDD, 4TB RAID-0 VST/Sounds HDD**Hardware: VS 700 System, Kurzweil SP2XS, Akai MPK49** SoundCloud
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/02/26 18:05:21 (permalink)
    "VS-700" is the only complete Control Surface plug-in available for SONAR. "ACT MIDI" is second simplest Control Surface plug-in in SONAR. Hmm...

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/02/27 07:08:30 (permalink)
    Beeej21
    I was told to try the ACT controller setup which means I have the choice of setting up all the buttons manually.  That sounds painfully tedious. 

I think this is ridiculous advice. There's no way you can even get close to all the features the vs-700 offers trying to set it up as an ACT controller.

I would continue troubleshooting and if necessary do some re-installs etc because it's confirmed to be working on several of our systems (so it's not Sonar's fault) ...

One thing you could try relatively quickly (though I have never done myself) is to install the driver for the USB VS-700C and hook it up directly instead of going through the VS-700R and run that in mackie mode (or what ever that option offers)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

Beeej21
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/02/27 17:32:39 (permalink)
    Hey FreeFlyBertl,

Thank you very much for the feedback again.  After completely giving up on the idea of trying to manually do the whole ACT thingie, I tried to re-install the drivers as you suggested.  No cigar.  I was feeling pretty bummed.  Because between the time I posted this thread and this afternoon, I found more and more things NOT working on the console that really bummed me out more (mute and solo buttons, smooth inner jog wheel, etc etc).

I finally called Cakewalk support again, and this time I spoke with Phil, who has been extremely helpful in the past.  He's borderline genius.  Almost instantly he figured out that there might be a missing .DLL file called the VS700.dll which resides in a folder path: Vstplugins\Shared Components\Shared Surfaces (for most it is on the C:/Programs directory, but for me it would be a separate drive [the S:\ drive for me]).  I checked and IT WAS NOT THERE!  He then asked me if I had installed Platinum on top of X3, which was exactly what I did.  That wasn't the issue, it is fine to install on top of another.  But when I went to uninstall X3 soon thereafter, the uninstall process actually deleted the .dll file from the location for whatever reason (might've been my mistake even)!!

Phil, sent me the setup.exe file which re-installs the VS700 drivers AND the .dll file.  I also found the updated .dll file on my backup server.  This easy, quick process added the .dll file back into the directory.  I launched Platinum and went to preferences to delete the old control surface instance and replaced with the new one.  This time I didn't even need to use Mackie Universal because the VS700 is listed in the dropdown selection box!!  Apply, save, and wallah... I am back in business.  The Control Surface is at full functionality once again!!

Whew.. I am so thankful and relieved.

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/02/28 04:00:10 (permalink)
    Glad to hear it's working now :-)

BTW, this is an interesting case of what can happen in the upgrade path and it's good to have that documented here in the forum.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

torerk
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/11 17:10:55 (permalink)
    Beeej21,
    Could you please post a link to the setup file or send it to me? It seems that I have the same problem after reinstalling sonar platinum after a disk crash. I'll send you and PM just in case.

Tore
    Beeej21
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/12 17:57:30 (permalink)
    Tore,

You have private message replies awaiting you, Sir.

Beeej21
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/12 18:00:41 (permalink)
    For anyone else who might face this same problem, here is the link that I was sent by Cakewalk Support which allowed me to download the executable file that located the control surfaces folder and then installed the correct DLL file which was missing.

You have to be sure to delete any control surfaces loaded in the preferences, then restart Sonar Platinum, and after running the EXE file, you will find in your control surfaces options the VS700 listed.

Please note that this is not the latest updated DLL file.  There was a replacement DLL file that came out later which I happened to find on my server.  In the meantime, the EXE file did resolve the problem effectively.

Problem/Questions:

VS 700 Control Surface plugin installer

Solutions:

Note: Per previous instructions, the VS 700 Control Surface plugin installer can be found here: http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013201/V-Studio-700-Control-Surface-Plug-in-version-1-2-update#

torerk
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/16 04:33:45 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot Beeeji21.
    Everything seems to work after running the setup again. I can not replace it with the new dll without loosing vs 700 as an option, so for now I'll stick with the old dll, and hopefully there is not to many bugs.
    reza
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/16 22:46:28 (permalink)
    I don't understand why it took out from Platinum ??? I hope cakewalk fix the problem.
    Beeej21
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/17 01:11:50 (permalink)
    REZA
    I don't understand why it took out from Platinum ??? I hope cakewalk fix the problem.

I don't believe it is missing in Platinum, or has been taken out.  This issue is only for those who, like in my case, have installed Platinum ON TOP of X3, and then later uninstalled X3.  It is during the uninstallation process that the DLL file gets removed inadvertantly.  Otherwise, Platinum has no issue at all with the control surface.  This is my understanding based on my experience.

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/17 01:32:05 (permalink)
    There has always been a risk associated with removing older versions of SONAR after installing a newer version. The uninstall process may remove components which have not changed between versions because, to the uninstaller, these component belongs to the version being removed. The installers used through X3 issued a warning about this on the first screen of the install process.
    Beeej21
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/17 01:38:28 (permalink)
    scook
    There has always been a risk associated with removing older versions of SONAR after installing a newer version. The uninstall process may remove components which have not changed between versions because, to the uninstaller, these component belongs to the version being removed. The installers used through X3 issued a warning about this on the first screen of the install process.

This is a very true statement.  However, there are also a few plus points in installing on top of an older version, which I have found to be worth it, like the importing of project file directories, and VST locations (because I always change these parameters due to my hard drive setups), amongst other minor things.  That being said, this is the first time I have ever encountered such a "dramatic" problem after uninstalling an older version.  I have always, and I mean always, installed on top of the older version.. if for no other reason, than to have the peace of mind that recent projects can still be opened in the older version if need be.  I usually wait a month or slightly more before completely uninstalling the previous version.  Whether I had waited or not, I would've encountered this same issue however.  And all things considered, it was the only issue and while I scratched my head for a while, at least it was resolvable.

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/17 01:49:26 (permalink)
    Beeej21
     there are also a few plus points in installing on top of an older version, which I have found to be worth it, like the importing of project file directories, and VST locations (because I always change these parameters due to my hard drive setups), amongst other minor things.

Importing a previous version config is convenient but not recommend by Cakewalk. I rely mostly on default directories redirected at the OS level with junctions created with mklink.

Leaving prior versions installed have other advantages such as the ability to open projects in the version which created the project, access to plug-ins not in the new version and comparing behavior between versions while on a bug hunt. Ignoring the recent tutorial projects added to Cakewalk Content, a typical SONAR installation consumes around 200MB of disk. The rest of the disk space used is shared between all the version of SONAR installed.
    reza
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/17 02:03:39 (permalink)
    My case is even worth . After i bought the platinum, I decided to reinstall win8.1 and all my vsts and programs to get better performance and also make my pc fresh. I was so excited but after installing the platinum and couldn't find the vs700 control surface i regret restoring my pc. But i already read your post and came back here and downloaded the setup file . now it works fine. 
    maybe if all the users who have vs700 ask cakewalk to fix the issue, they do it. :)

Beeej21
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/17 02:09:57 (permalink)
    scook
    Importing a previous version config is convenient but not recommend by Cakewalk. I rely mostly on default directories redirected at the OS level with junctions created with mklink.

While I can see the benefits of sticking with Cakewalk recommendations, in my case, it simply wouldn't work because I just have far too many project files and VST plugins and sound fx (on separate physical hard drives) that I must maintain apart from my OS HDD.  To add to the necessary complication, each drive is backed up to a local server for redundant safety, including the OS, the VST, and project file drives.  It is a well-oiled machine, my studio in those terms.  So that convenience factor has always played well to my advantage.  My OS HDD is very streamlined with only program files and related files.  It's a major hassle, for me at least, reconfiguring things the way I need them without installing on top of the old version.  This is why I have always chosen this path less traveled.  But like I mentioned, for the most part, it has worked splendidly well in the past.  To each his/her own, I suppose.  So long as we all are being productive and efficient and spending less time in the bug hunt you mentioned.

reza
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/18 06:46:01 (permalink)
    Beeej21 do have this symptom that the master fader doesn't move when you load a new or old project?
    Beeej21
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/18 13:27:36 (permalink)
    REZA
    Beeej21 do have this symptom that the master fader doesn't move when you load a new or old project?

Hi REZA,

I don't have that issue on my end.

reza
    Re: Platinum and VS700C not working correctly 2015/03/18 22:17:00 (permalink)
    thanks for your replay .
    This issue really bothers me. I see others have same problem. :(
    post edited by REZA - 2015/04/07 02:36:51
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1