.sfz files: Triggering a sample with a MIDI CC

Author
Annabelle
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 143
2015/02/26 18:30:54 (permalink)

.sfz files: Triggering a sample with a MIDI CC

When creating an .sfz file, I'd like to find out, how do I trigger a sample to play via a MIDI continuous controller? For example, I want to trigger a "pedal up" sample and a "Pedal Down" sample with cc64. The problem is, I'm not sure how to exactly do this the right way. Could somebody please help?

I Dream of Australia, France, and Canada, three wonderful nations that represent who I really am.

1 Reply Related Threads

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: .sfz files: Triggering a sample with a MIDI CC 2015/02/26 19:09:49 (permalink)

I'm no expert, so what I provide here is just the result of reading the specs.

From the Cakewalk SFZ specification :

on_loccN
    on_hiccN

N = 0 - 127, default -1

Sample trigger on MIDI continuous control N. If a MIDI control message with a value between on_loccN and on_hiccN is received, the region will play.

Examples:
    on_locc1=0 on_hicc1=0
    Region will play when a MIDI CC1 (modulation wheel) message with zero value is received.

[***  NOTE :  'layer' in the follow equates to 'region'   ***]

MIDI CC trigger event

When the trigger event is a MIDI CC, the components of the MIDI CC event are available (channel, CC number, CC value) for layer selection. The CC number of the trigger event must be a specific number (0 to 127). There is no way to trigger a layer based on a range of CC numbers.

The player will select the layer only if the channel and CC value components lie within given ranges. The default lower setting is the lowest value allowed. The default upper setting for channel is the highest value allowed; for the CC value, the default is -1. (In other words, the default is to disable triggering the layer by CC event.)

To enable a CC event to trigger a layer, set the CC value upper limit to zero or more and disable Note On triggering*.

*To prevent the player even trying to match the components of a Note On event for a layer, set the note number upper limit to -1.  If you want the layer triggered by a MIDI CC event, you must do this.

This thread may be of use :  sustain pedal trigger in sfz?

post edited by Paul P - 2015/02/26 19:16:49

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1