Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet?

Author
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
2015/02/16 22:50:03 (permalink)

Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet?

I'm new to guitars and now to modelled guitar amp+cab set ups. Can I get some general advice on cabinet selection when inside a DAW? I know I can shuffle through them and get an idea, but some pointers would help make more educated approaches. I have TH2 full plug and am demo'ing the Markbass (which looks like it's secured its future with me)

I guess that the bigger the cone the lower it's able to reproduce, but cabs can be 1x15, 2 x15, some 1x10, 2x10, 4 x 10 etc. If I have a a 15", it''s able to produce a fixed range, with a certain frequency response, is the the same applies no matter how many there are, just with two, there is twice the volume. 1x15" and 2x15", wouldn't they sound the same, just with the latter twice as loud, (but with potential phase issues). In the real world this matters, but in the recorded world, how does this matter, I just turn one up, or the other down. Why would someone pick a 4x10 over a 1x15 in a DAW, when the 1x15 has lower frequencies than the 10" can produce, no matter how many of them there are, and volume isn't a factor.

I'm guessing there is an answer to this, and something to do with character, but some pointers would help, when I'm faced with 9 options in Mark Sudio and 29 in TH2.

Cheers

28 Replies Related Threads

Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/17 10:55:05 (permalink)
    I think you may not be factoring in that the size of the cabinet itself will affect the sound. So even if you have identical speakers the 1x15 is going to sound different than the 2x15 due to the physical size. Also there is probably going to be a bit of interplay between the speakers so even if you only have one mic on one speaker it will still pick up some sound from the second speaker which will change the tone. With IRs I believe they use actual recordings of real cabinets so all those subtle nuances in theory should be reproduced.

As far as picking the right one? Well I've played through a lot of different gear so have a general idea of what something might sound like BUT because I've never been a proper recording engineer (like the guys who meticulously set up mics) the placement, type of mic, extra gear in the chain before and after the cab, etc I don't always know what's going to sound like what when using what. So I still have to just go through things and see what sounds best for what I'm doing.

TH2 has been very educational in regards to hearing what certain gear and techniques sound like. I expect I'd be able to translate a lot of the knowledge in an actual hardware based environment.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/17 12:03:46 (permalink)
    proximity effect (mic modeling) and room effect (distance from cab and size of room) will have more play on the sound than the actual cabinet selection.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Beepster
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/17 12:05:56 (permalink)
    BTW... the only time I really seem to notice phase issues when goofing around with the cab sim settings in TH2 is when I'm using two mics and start messing with the mic distances. I actually just avoid doing that now because it doesn't really seem to ever make anything sound better for my stuff BUT they have a convenient phase invert button on the cab settings thingie. I'd imagine a REAL recording engineer could use those distance options properly but between the Rear and 45 degree mics and the room settings I can pretty much always get something cool going on with my a/b mics rammed right up close to the cab (which is the default).

With the IRs though there is no invert phase option (as far as I can tell) but you should not have to worry about it with the included IRs. I doubt they would include an IR with phase problems. If you just download some from "skeetchyuserpatches.org" (not a real website... I hope) then perhaps you will not be getting the best quality cab sounds and have phase issues.

Off topic: Recently I've seen some head to heads of TH2 and Rack11. I've never tried Rack11 but I was kind of impressed with what I heard. Seems like a really REALLY good clone of GR5. Might have to scout out a demo.
    Beepster
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/17 12:13:50 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    proximity effect (mic modeling) and room effect (distance from cab and size of room) will have more play on the sound than the actual cabinet selection.

Those do certainly have drastic effects on the sound but the cab selection is still a major factor. I screw with that stuff a LOT these days. It is far more noticeable in a sim (and I'd imagine studio) environment than just hearing it cranking through the air. I use to not really give a flying fart what I was playing though as long as it had power and bite. I had other ways to mold my sound. On "tape" though it's a whole different game. I'm doing far more tone chasing not because the sims suck but because it's like a friggen' smorgasboard of tones. I don't even have to break my back screwing around with gear either. Love it.
    Kamikaze
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/18 10:24:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies, though I'm still no wiser , just more aware that cabinet size is also a factor.

So I guess it's more along the lines; you want a big sound, more speakers, bigger cab. You want a intimate sound, small cab. As a general rule I mean. I guess I am looking for some geneal rules/ideas to be thinking about when making a choice, rather than blindly switching.

batsbrew
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/18 11:03:45 (permalink)
    REMEMBER,
     a lot of jimmy page's early zeppelin sound,
    was done with a tele thru a Supro combo.

nothing big about that!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Beepster
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/18 15:34:13 (permalink)
    First off I think the best thing to do for now is to just use the Amp + Cab option in TH2 or similar features in other sims. This will give you a "matched" cabinet model for the head you choose. So if you choose one of the Marshall heads it will automatically choose a Marshall cab that suits that head. If you choose the 5150 model it will give you the 5150 cab. The HiWatt a HiWatt cab, etc.

When these amps were/are originally released the companies obviously did their best to produce a good cab to go along with the head. By choosing this option in a sim you should get a reasonably authentic sound and you don't have to overthink it. Swapping out cabs is more for tweakers, fiddlers and tone twisters but start with the matched cabs, play around with the other settings (like mic and room) and you'll see how those other options work. Then go hunting around for alternate mix and match stuff if you are feeling adventurous.

That said... batsbrew has brought up something very important. Small, even tiny amps, are sometimes much more desirable for live recording. They can be cranked harder (thus pushing the tubes/circuits) without blasting out the walls/mics/input on the mixer/whatever. I actually want to snag a little ten watt tube amp for this type of stuff because there is NO way I could even THINK of having a stack in my current setup and expect to get it loud enough for tracking without having the cops immediately called on me. I can't even turn up my transistor combo amp past 0.3 without it being way too loud for the apartment. Very sad because it is a great sounding amp.

In a sim though you don't have to worry about such things because you aren't going to blow anything or get a noise ticket. However the other thing about small amps is they don't have as much of the "woofy/boomy" bottom end of a huge stack that often times is EQ'd out of a mix anyway to make room for the bass/kick drum. So there is something to consider BUT you do also have plenty of options to deal with that even on the larger cab models by way of the dedicated hi/low pass buttons in the cab options. Not really the same as a small amp but it's there.

Now I kind of want to take a look at what the smallest cab in TH2 is. lol
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/18 16:58:19 (permalink)
    Here is what I have done.  Mostly because it is sooooooo easy to sit and fiddle with all the choices for days on end.....and never really accomplish any recording.

Most guitar players have a tone, one that they hear in their head.  We tweek until we get there.  Most of the time it seems like it is a never ending tweak.  I can take just about any tube amp and it will end up tweaked to my tone by the time I am done with it. 

I find the amp sim or a couple in the collection, that best represent that tone that I have been dialing in all of these years.  I use it to record with.  Once I have the track recorded, I may go back and flip through cabinets and mic's to see if it blends better with the song mix.  Sometimes one cab will fit the song better than another.  Sometimes just moving the mic front/ back/ to the side will make the track fit better.  If I find myself tweaking to the same spec's over and over, I create my own preset on that sim.  Now I am closer the next time. 

I probably only use about 3-4 amps total out of the dozens and dozens most sims provide.  I usually start, as Beep has mentioned, with a factory preset.  Then eventually, it becomes one of my presets, with the changes I adopt to get closer to my sound.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/19 23:14:43 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    REMEMBER,

nothing big about that!

Check this out: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/lifestyle/productspotlight/gearandinstruments/10-huge-sounds-recorded-521/ 

Rocky
    Kamikaze
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/21 21:51:55 (permalink)
    Cool, thanks for the replies guys, it's given me a better picture on how to approach.

I'm loving the Mark Studio on my new Jazzbass. I can see myself setting up a sound from it just to play and record, but once a mix is in place, it provides so much flexibility on changing the sound of mix, so I should just concentrate on getting the lines down at first.  

sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/22 17:37:26 (permalink)
    Kamikaze
    Cool, thanks for the replies guys, it's given me a better picture on how to approach.

I'm loving the Mark Studio on my new Jazzbass. I can see myself setting up a sound from it just to play and record, but once a mix is in place, it provides so much flexibility on changing the sound of mix, so I should just concentrate on getting the lines down at first.  

Mark Studio is really good. The great thing about it is that it has a mix slider so you can mix the dry & amped sounds to taste without necessarily having to set up a bus. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    ward s
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/24 00:05:01 (permalink)
    bluzdog
    batsbrew
    REMEMBER,

nothing big about that!

Check this out: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/lifestyle/productspotlight/gearandinstruments/10-huge-sounds-recorded-521/ 
     Rocky

Don't forget Zappa and his Pignose.

i5, 16 gigs RAM, 3.3 GHz
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Sonar Platinum
    M-Audio fast track pro
    Axiom 25
    1988 PRS Custom with Joe Barden 'buckers
    G&L fretless bass
    Dog
    sharke
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/24 10:47:10 (permalink)
    ward s
    bluzdog
    batsbrew
    REMEMBER,

nothing big about that!

Rocky

Don't forget Zappa and his Pignose.

If the early 70's were Zappa's Pignose years then I have to get myself one of those. I always thought his guitar sound was at its peak during that time. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    pentimentosound
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1535
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/24 11:33:22 (permalink)
    If I recall it correctly, Zappa miked the Pignose with it's back on the floor, facing up.
    ward s
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/24 16:18:22 (permalink)
    This is from a 1977 interview...

FZ: In the studio most of the stuff is played through a Pignose. I've done all kinds of things with a Pignose; I've taken it and put it in a "live" chamber and taken an (ElectroVoice) RE-20 and stuck it right in front of the Pignose, and that will get one kind of sound. It's actually the sound of an amp, but you can hear that it's in a room, and the room is resonant, so it's a realistic sound. On Zoot Allures about the only thing I used the Vox bottom and the Marshall top for was to get feedback on a song called "Filthy Habits." There's another song called "The Torture Never Stops" where it's just Pignose. Another thing I've done with the Pignose is just put it out in the middle of a dead studio, put two mikes on it, and mike it in stereo. It gets a good sound. Put one mike behind the other so there's a slight spread to it. I've also put the Piguose in an echo chamber and miked it, but not too close, because the echo chamber is real resonant. Since the amplifier isn't real loud, if you put the mike a foot away from the amp, you're going to get a sound that really approaches what you hear in a hockey rink. Anybody who's working in a studio and wants to try this, just tell the engineer to disconnect the speaker cables in the echo chamber and put a plug (phone jack) on the end of the echo send, and plug the echo send into your Pignose. Then you can sit in the control room, plug your guitar directly into the board, send it to the echo chamber on the echo send, and hear yourself coming back - and it sounds like you're in a hockey rink. You can even make it feed back by long distance. I've been using a Pignose for about the last three or four years. I think I started using it the most on Apostrophe, but there is some on Over-Nite Sensation, too.

here's the link to the interview...
    http://home.online.no/~corneliu/gp77interview.htm

w

i5, 16 gigs RAM, 3.3 GHz
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Sonar Platinum
    M-Audio fast track pro
    Axiom 25
    G&L fretless bass
    Dog
    batsbrew
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/24 18:11:38 (permalink)
    i had a pignose, 
    back in the late 80's..

it's what got me thru hurricane hugo!!!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/24 20:17:23 (permalink)
    I've done gigs using a pignose mic'd into the PA or even a spare channel input on the bassist's amp before now - I took to carrying one years ago as an "emergency amp" in case my main amp decided to die at the wrong time. It's also a surprisingly good harmonica amplifier and I know several people who use them for that.

By the way Beepster, if you're looking for a domestic-premises friendly amp 10 watts is about 10 times the power you'll need. Using the same cabinet, a 5 watt amp cranked flat out is about half the volume (in dB) of 50 watts. I've an Epiphone Valve Junior (with Phillips valves and a Jensen speaker) and in the house I rarely open it up more than about a third, at which point it's already pushing 85dBA at a meter.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    sharke
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/24 23:58:27 (permalink)
    I wonder if he used the Pignose for the Montana solo on Overnite Sensation. That is one of my all time favorite guitar solos, along with the one he plays on Inca Roads. 

James
    ward s
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/25 16:02:20 (permalink)
    sharke
    I wonder if he used the Pignose for the Montana solo on Overnite Sensation. That is one of my all time favorite guitar solos, along with the one he plays on Inca Roads. 

funny, I was just having that thought about fifty fifty. I bet a dollar he did.

Yeah, Inca Roads. I think my first choice is willy the pimp, though. 

i5, 16 gigs RAM, 3.3 GHz
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Sonar Platinum
    M-Audio fast track pro
    Axiom 25
    G&L fretless bass
    Dog
    batsbrew
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/25 16:20:03 (permalink)
    one of the BEST guitar tones i've ever heard..

was someone using a pignose as a 'pedal' or preamp, into a raging Ampeg V4 half stack.

awesomeness.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Beepster
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/25 17:36:57 (permalink)
    tlw
    I've done gigs using a pignose mic'd into the PA or even a spare channel input on the bassist's amp before now - I took to carrying one years ago as an "emergency amp" in case my main amp decided to die at the wrong time. It's also a surprisingly good harmonica amplifier and I know several people who use them for that.

By the way Beepster, if you're looking for a domestic-premises friendly amp 10 watts is about 10 times the power you'll need. Using the same cabinet, a 5 watt amp cranked flat out is about half the volume (in dB) of 50 watts. I've an Epiphone Valve Junior (with Phillips valves and a Jensen speaker) and in the house I rarely open it up more than about a third, at which point it's already pushing 85dBA at a meter.

True enough and I know I SHOULD probably be looking more in the 5 watt range but a) I'm concerned that the speaker/housing on those aren't going to throw as well and b) after so many years of playing through stacks and 400w bass amps (yes... on guitar) it weird me out thinking about such "tiny" amps.

What I need to do is go try a bunch out at a music store and take over their homerecording area for a while to see how they respond on "tape". I'll have to probably do some sweet talkin' to make that happen. lol

"Here... let me drag all these tiny amps over there, and borrow a bunch of mics, and load up whatever DAW you've got installed on your demo machine, and jam out... oh and can I load up these waves I brought from home?"

No problem, roight? Heh heh.
    ward s
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/25 21:38:44 (permalink)
    Beepster
    True enough and I know I SHOULD probably be looking more in the 5 watt range but a) I'm concerned that the speaker/housing on those aren't going to throw as well and b) after so many years of playing through stacks and 400w bass amps (yes... on guitar) it weird me out thinking about such "tiny" amps.

While we're on the subject of guitar gods doing weird ****, I read that Duane Allman often played through a bass amp and cabinet to  get that rich tone. I have a version of Blue Sky from a show in New Orleans where his tone is so rich and full, it had to be with that bass rig.

i5, 16 gigs RAM, 3.3 GHz
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Sonar Platinum
    M-Audio fast track pro
    Axiom 25
    G&L fretless bass
    Dog
    tagruvto
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/26 12:20:48 (permalink)
    Kamikaze

My thoughts exactly!  The flexibility to choose between a lot of great tones after the part is recorded is a very cool feature.  As far as choosing cabinet speakers (or really any other variable) - it really is important to just listen to the options and go with what fits that mix the best.  As others have already said, getting a big sound doesn't always translate to the size of the speakers or the initial recorded volume.

I was lucky enough to review the Mark Studio a while back for Bass Musician Magazine.  If interested, you can read the review here:  http://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2014/09/mark-studio-2-amplifier-modeling-software-review/

i7-4770 CPU @3.40 GHZ
    16.0 GB RAM
    Widows 10   64-bit
    SONAR Platinum
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    Beepster
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/26 12:53:28 (permalink)
    ward s
    While we're on the subject of guitar gods doing weird ****, I read that Duane Allman often played through a bass amp and cabinet to  get that rich tone. I have a version of Blue Sky from a show in New Orleans where his tone is so rich and full, it had to be with that bass rig.

I kind of fell into that by accident (well more out of being broke/cheap). For a couple years the only band I was playing I was on bass so I bought an old Traynor Bassman and Ampeg 4x12 bass cab. Then I got asked to play guitar for another band but didn't have the cash to buy a whole new rig so plugged in through the bass rig and just tossed my Metal Zone onto it. It was punk/thrash type stuff so it sounded nice and meaty and worked. Over the years every now and then I would use guitar amps for that project (equipment sharing with other bands or in the jam space... whatever) and it just didn't sound right unless I was using super powerful and expensive 100watt stacks (like 5150s or JCM 2000s). Eventually after I completely destroyed the bassman (which was tube powered and a pain to maintain) I discovered a neat little bass amp that worked great for my tone that was wicked cheap. The Yorkville 400b. It was a compact 400w bass amp with a ten band EQ section and one big 20" speaker (well around 20"... I forget exactly the size). It was LOUD, had a really nice clean tone for adding stompboxes, the EQ section let me really dial things in, the speaker barked like a pack of dogs, it was solid state and pretty much indestructible, it was heavy but compact so I could move it easily (fit in the back of a cab or was easy to dolly around), etc.

Considering a lot of time those gigs were not mic'd (small dive bars) I needed that extra power and really the extra bottom end and lack of break up when cranking it (which is no good when you are using super thick distortion like the MT-2) made that amp and most bass amps great for the stuff I like to do. Totally influenced my sound.

Still clean tones are a lot fuller through a bass amp too. I like Fender and HiWatt for clean tones but they are missing that bottom end roundness to an extent. There is of course a reason for that (don't want to interfere with the bass) but I like those lower freqs. Cranking them on a guitar amp makes things sound muddy. Getting them from a bass amp (without cranking the bottom) just sounds nice and clear.
    sharke
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/26 19:02:08 (permalink)
    Has anyone used an amp isolation box for recording? Something like this? 

http://www.clearsonic.com/amp_isolation.htm

James
    pentimentosound
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/26 19:09:21 (permalink)
    Not me, but I've watched some Pete Thorn videos done in his studio with it. I've always done blankets or cabs in another room.

sharke
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/26 19:13:49 (permalink)
    Seems like something that wouldn't be that hard to make yourself, but those ones do look like they're pretty good quality. 

James
    pentimentosound
    Re: Guidence on choosing a Virtual Modelled Cabinet? 2015/02/26 19:18:29 (permalink)
    I was looking at the Primacoustics Go Traps and thought they would serve me better and you can sit on them! LOL
    http://www.primacoustic.com/gotrap.htm

Don't know how much they are, yet, but it seems like a very useful item. I like that you can stack them, build a box or sit on them.
    Michael
    ps
    $399 street and $380 @
    http://www.avalive.com/PrimAcoustic/Z840-1120-03/129743/productDetail.php?utm_source=googleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=Z840-1120-03&gclid=COyUnZjtgMQCFYc6aQodYjwAhQ
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1