EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help!

Author
mikebeam
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 288
2015/01/21 16:46:01 (permalink)

EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help!

Hi Everyone,

I've bought EWQL Hollywood Silver.  I'm experiencing a strange volume drop.  Sometimes - for no apparent reason, the volume drops almost 15db.  If I just go to the player and reload the instrument, it goes back to normal.  I can't seem to isolate anything I'm doing to cause it and it seems to me to be random.  It also seems to only apply to Hollywood Strings and not Brass or Woodwinds.

Any idea what might be causing this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated as the software is basically unusable when it's so unpredictable...

Thanks!

14 Replies Related Threads

tom1
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 559
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/01/21 17:23:31 (permalink)
    Did you load multiple instruments by accident?

The play engine gives you an option of adding sounds and this does not delete any sounds already loaded.

Maybe it's nothing more than a longer string sound mixed with a shorter string sound and the volume decrease is just one sound ending.

Sonar Producer X2/ProTools/Cubase/Reaper
    Studio Cat 32 Gig Ram
    East West:
    Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds/Goliath 
    Kontakt Ultimate / FabFilter Bundle / EaReverb / Maag4 / Izotope Ozone 5 / Izotope RX2 / Elastique / Waves  

mikebeam
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/01/21 17:34:59 (permalink)
    I don't think so.  I'm trying to make a video of it - here's one but the sound didn't work...  If you look at my mouse pointer, you can see the change in decibel level.  This is after it has already dropped.  If you keep watching - it resets and then drops again.

(I know it's not totally helpful without the sound - I'll try to make a better video)

https://www.youtube.com/w...E&feature=youtu.be
    ltb
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2707
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/01/22 08:28:05 (permalink)
    Check to see if this is enabled. If it is disable it & try.
    http://www.cakewalk.com/D...;help=Playback.33.html
    mikebeam
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/01/22 22:00:44 (permalink)
    Thanks Carl - I think "Zero Controllers..." might have done the trick - although, it still seems strange to me since I would like the controllers zeroed out.  I also didn't use any of the wheels in my composition so I find it odd that this would even matter.

Am I missing something here?
    ltb
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2707
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/01/22 22:30:54 (permalink)
    Mike,
    I'm not sure why, are you zeroing out all controllers?

Using PLAY + HB / HS I use both CC1 Mod Wheel (for expression/ volume) & also CC7 (Main Volume)
    I set those controller events at the beginning of the midi track plus an 'All Notes Off' controller event (CC123)

(Zeroed out for me would be set Mod Wheel@ 64, Main Vol @ 90)
    mikebeam
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/01/27 10:46:05 (permalink)
    Hmmm.  I'll look into it.  It happens if I start a brand new project and record a note and don't even touch the mod wheel.  So I really think it's a bug of some sort.  Plus, there are updates for Brass and Woodwinds Silver for "Volume Problems" - I'm kind of wondering if they are working on the strings.

BTW, no word from EWQL - they are ignoring my emails...  Not impressed.
    bernard@bernardhull.com
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/02/26 21:39:07 (permalink)
    I've been having the same issue with Hollywood Strings Diamond for some time (running X3 and now Sonar Platinum). EW have not been any help yet, although I have been in communication with them (although they do take their time in replying sometimes and their suggestions have not been helpful yet). I'm with you Mikebeam - I think there's a bug somewhere. It happens even with totally empty Sonar projects to me too. All you have to do is load one string instrument and play an empty sequence and that can be enough to stop the instrument from playing the next time although some instruments don't seem to do this (or will play at vastly reduced output). It doesn't do it with Hollywood Brass Diamond (which is on the same 1TB Samsung Evo SSD on my system) or with any of my other EW instruments (Symphonic orchestra Platinum for example) which I've had for quite a number of years without any issues - they are on another SSD. My OS is on a third SSD and I also have two SATA drives for data storage - these are where recorded audio is written and stored. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on an Intel Core i7 3.50GHz with 32GB RAM all on an ASUS P8Z77-V M/B. My audio interface is an RME Fireface UCX connected via firewire through a PCIe card but I strongly suspect there is nothing wrong with my system as all the other packages work fine. Any assistance would be great. 
    mikebeam
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/02/26 22:06:04 (permalink)
    They have not been in touch with me so I think I'm out of luck...  No more EWQL for me.  The "zero controllers" option listed above seemed to have some sort of effect, but I don't think it took care of the problem.

I did notice it on brass, but it didn't happen nearly as often.  Sorry I don't have any more information.
    bernard@bernardhull.com
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/02/27 00:06:43 (permalink)
    Where do you find the "zero controllers" option? I tried to find it but to no avail.
    tom1
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 559
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/02/27 00:24:32 (permalink)
    go to: preferences
    then project and then midi
    you should see a box; uncheck it

Sonar Producer X2/ProTools/Cubase/Reaper
    Studio Cat 32 Gig Ram
    East West:
    Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds/Goliath 
    Kontakt Ultimate / FabFilter Bundle / EaReverb / Maag4 / Izotope Ozone 5 / Izotope RX2 / Elastique / Waves  

bernard@bernardhull.com
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/02/27 00:27:41 (permalink)
    Thanks. Found it. That appears to have remedied the situation. Hopefully it stays that way.
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/02/27 04:32:17 (permalink)
    Some presets within a given soft synth seem to be tied to things like the mod wheel for volume, or other weirdness, and these particular presets often behave quite weirdly when the Sonar Zero All Controllers option is checked.

I have had similar behavior in some Reaktor patches, and also have had PITCH for some reason tied to mod wheel for one factory preset for Reaktor, which with the Zero All Controllers option set would play fine on first project load and play, but then after stopping the song, the pitch of my Reaktor preset would drop by a whole step.  This drove me NUTS, til I figured it out.

In addition, some of the Native Instruments synths have the master volume setting also tied to react to CC 7 changes, which means that MIDI fader changes changed the plugin master volume - another one that drove me nuts.

Soooo, those above scenarios apply to different software, but illustrate some of the crazy behaviors out there in plugins.

Hope any of the above helps, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    wizard71
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 836
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/02/27 06:10:51 (permalink)
    I just record some mod data just before the start of each track. I have found this helps when exporting as I have had problems with the bounce and CC data. This resolves both issues for me

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
    https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
    Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

mikebeam
    Re: EWQL - Hollywood Strings - Volume Dropout - Help! 2015/02/27 08:23:29 (permalink)
    @wizard71 - I tried that but it didn't seem to help in this case.  Of course, without the "zero" checked, you almost have to do that just to manually reset everything...  It's kind of annoying.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1