A way to create my own sound to use in a softsynth? Sonar Platinum

Author
FoggyMind
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
2015/02/25 20:50:01 (permalink)

A way to create my own sound to use in a softsynth? Sonar Platinum

Hay All,
I don’t really understand this but I will give it a shot. I know that there is a way to take a sound and play it on a keyboard in a soft synth. So I guess it would be like creating a sound file that you could play on a soft synth. Does anyone know if there is something in Sonar Platinum that I can put a sound into and get a keyboard to play it up with a midi key board on a soft synth?
thanks  

6 Replies Related Threads

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: A way to create my own sound to use in a softsynth? Sonar Platinum 2015/02/25 21:39:38 (permalink)

Welcome FoggyMind.  It looks like you're starting from the very beginning.

There are many synths included in Platinum.  Do you have a midi keyboard ?
    TTS-1 or Sound Center could be a good place to start.  Dimension Pro has thousands of sounds.

If you want to get into sound design, you'll have quite a bit of learning to do.  You should start with the basics, but it's well worth the effort.  Here is a thread with links to a bunch of information :

Looking for good general information on how Synthesizers work

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    tparker24
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    Re: A way to create my own sound to use in a softsynth? Sonar Platinum 2015/02/25 22:09:15 (permalink)
    FoggyMind
    [...] something in Sonar Platinum that I can put a sound into and get a keyboard to play it up with a midi key board on a soft synth?

I haven't used it personally, but I think DropZone might fit the bill.  There's a nice user video of it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7kmXnwKoGU
    And at about 1:30 in, he demonstrates loading a sound and playing it.  Seems pretty easy and straightforward.

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: A way to create my own sound to use in a softsynth? Sonar Platinum 2015/02/26 09:11:24 (permalink)

There's also the Cakewalk Instruments forum if you have any questions about using a specific Cakewalk synth.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: A way to create my own sound to use in a softsynth? Sonar Platinum 2015/02/26 10:49:58 (permalink)
    Dimension or Rapture (or a third party sampler - do a search).

You have to capture the sound and trim it.  For the two Cake synths you need an SFZ file (again, do a search in Instruments and you'll find a lot of info) if you want to do more than have one sample stretched all the way across the keyboard.  SFZ allows you to place different samples of the same instrument across the keyboard (as well as a bunch of other things).  Dimpro will play the sample from start to finish (if it is over 3000 samples long) while Rapture calculates a representative wavetable of it.

Both those synths are sample playback machines.  real samplers have the SFZ process built into them (capture and edit).

All the above is from memory - I might have some spec information incorrect (it has been a while).  But the idea is correct.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    FoggyMind
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re: A way to create my own sound to use in a softsynth? Sonar Platinum 2015/02/26 19:35:15 (permalink)
    It seems a bit harder then I thought it would be.
    Let the leaning begin.

Thanks everyone!

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: A way to create my own sound to use in a softsynth? Sonar Platinum 2015/02/27 07:59:34 (permalink)
    To fire an audio file via MIDI you can simply open the file in Dimension Pro (then pitch will be based on deviation from Middle C (C4), IIRC).

Also, if you simply want to fire an audio file (no mods) you can go unconventional routes such as dragging/dropping that sound onto a Session Drummer 3 kit piece, or fire them with the Matrix View (need to map MIDI note to the cell).

That is a rudimentary start, but as you head down the path of sound design (which you will if this interests you) there will be a lot to learn and play with on the way.

Welcome!

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1