Helpful Reply"Someday" by Scandalous Grace

Author
gtrpastor
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 210
2015/02/26 23:43:21 (permalink)

"Someday" by Scandalous Grace

Hi Everyone, 
Here is the latest from Scandalous Grace. We hope you enjoy it. Comments and critiques welcome, especially in regard to the mix. Thanks in advance for taking the time to listen. 
- Sean

Reece Bain (beagle) - Keyboards, Drum Programming, Background Vocals
Mike Hansen (Makeshift) - Electric Lead and Rhythm Guitar, Bass Guitar, Background Vocals
Sean Peifer (gtrpastor) - Acoustic Guitar, Electric Lead and Rhythm Guitar, Lead Vocals

https://soundcloud.com/scandalous-grace-band/someday-scandalous-grace

Edited: Uploaded new mix 3-7-2015
post edited by gtrpastor - 2015/03/07 16:51:28
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/02/27 10:03:36 (permalink)
Sounds quite nice, though the vocal sounds a little thin other than that the mix comes across quite well here.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
gtrpastor
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/02/27 11:00:45 (permalink)
Thanks for listening Wookie. Maybe with Mike and Reece's help, I can figure out how to make the vocals sound more robust. 
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/02/27 11:48:44 (permalink)
Mix sounds pretty good to me. I found the strumming patterns of the acoustic and electric guitars a bit distracting at the start, they didn't seem quite 'on the same page' there, but better as the song went on.

@ Reece - the programmed drums are much better than the last track, but you do tend to overdo it a bit and it gets muddly, like right before, and under the start of the guitar solo. Hope you don't think I'm picking on you but sometimes less is more.

Song reminded me of Styx, that's probably been said before.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/02/27 11:53:15 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Mix sounds pretty good to me. I found the strumming patterns of the acoustic and electric guitars a bit distracting at the start, they didn't seem quite 'on the same page' there, but better as the song went on.

@ Reece - the programmed drums are much better than the last track, but you do tend to overdo it a bit and it gets muddly, like right before, and under the start of the guitar solo. Hope you don't think I'm picking on you but sometimes less is more.

Song reminded me of Styx, that's probably been said before.

Hey James,
thanks, no I'm not thinking you're picking on me.  I'm not the greatest at drum programming and I'm trying to get better, so I appreciate the advice.  I'll look at the area you're talking about and see if we want to change it at this point in the process.  if not, I'll certainly take your advice in consideration for future songs.  we've also recently enlisted a drummer at least for advice on the next one coming up.

I'll not comment on the strumming.  that's not my department!

Thanks for listening and your comments, too, John!  Sean, Mike and I are discussing your comments now!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
gtrpastor
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/02/27 13:51:59 (permalink)
James, Thanks for listening and for the comments. Reece told me the same thing about the guitars syncing at the beginning. Thanks for confirming it. I'll fix it and hopefully post a new version soon.

I appreciate the "Styx" comment too!
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/02/28 08:49:34 (permalink)
Yeah... Sean has that Dennis DeYoung sound..... I like it. Sean should be the default singer for the band.

This is a good song.... probably the best yet, as far as writing goes. 

Tighten up the intro as others have mentioned.  As far as the mix, I'm listening on cheap computer speakers.....I jumped over to the lappy and with cans..... this sounds pretty good guys.

I'm not a real big fan of the style of drumming that is used in modern "christian music" these days.... and I found myself not liking the drums in this in a number of places..... I was thinking...come on...smack that snare..... give me something that feels solid.....   But I guess in the context of what I hear in church worship groups.... this is what is popular now.....

Overall, good job.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Beagle
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/02/28 11:03:51 (permalink)
Guitarhacker
Yeah... Sean has that Dennis DeYoung sound..... I like it. Sean should be the default singer for the band.

Ah, come on Herb, even Ringo was allowed to sing sometimes! 

We choose who sings on which songs mostly by who wrote most of the song.  Personally I think it's appropriate that way and I think we all do a good job at our individual styles.

This is a good song.... probably the best yet, as far as writing goes. 

Tighten up the intro as others have mentioned.  As far as the mix, I'm listening on cheap computer speakers.....I jumped over to the lappy and with cans..... this sounds pretty good guys.

I'm not a real big fan of the style of drumming that is used in modern "christian music" these days.... and I found myself not liking the drums in this in a number of places..... I was thinking...come on...smack that snare..... give me something that feels solid.....   But I guess in the context of what I hear in church worship groups.... this is what is popular now.....

Overall, good job

thanks for listening and your comments Herb!  I understand your concerns about the drums, we're not perfect on drums, but we're working on them with some help.  I don't plan to change the entire drum track on this, but we are looking at fixing a place or two like James mentioned.

Sean wrote this one and Mike and I both were drawn to it to use as a Scandalous Grace song.  it really does have some great writing in it and Sean did great on the vocals and on the mix.  he's learning to mix, but aren't we all?  and so far I think he's doing an excellent job at that.  it takes time to learn, as we all know!

thanks again!
post edited by Beagle - 2015/02/28 11:41:43

michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/02/28 11:25:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beagle 2015/02/28 11:41:01
Agree with you Ringo.....um....,Reece. Somehow Dylan and Neil Young sold albums over the years as well. I am kind of thinking about taking up the harmonica. 😄

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/03/01 09:08:10 (permalink)
Hey.... don't bust on me..... (wink wink) I'm just observing and commenting with no bias one way or the other.  In any given band there's usually one person who really have a "photogenic" voice.... (for lack of a better analogy)  That doesn't mean the other singers can't sing....and yes...even Ringo got to sing a few songs..... it simply means that one fits better than the other.

I often get comments that my singing is reminiscent of either Neil Young or Willie Nelson.... or both... and neither one of those is a particularly good singer by anyone's standards.... but I take what I can get.

No harm, no foul, no insults were intended.  

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Beagle
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/03/01 10:19:02 (permalink)
Ok Herb, your honest opinion is noted. 

Thanks, but we won't likely be changing the "default" vocalist based on your preference.

All - Sean is working diligently on a new mix now and we're close to being ready to release the next version based on great feedback we've received from you folks here and other sources.  I think it will be worth it if you listen again!

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/03/01 19:33:32 (permalink)
Great instrumentation/arrangement on this guys...I really like the vocals. On my end the mids seem to be pulled down pretty hard . Some people like those kinds of mixes..I tend to like a mix where the mids bite just a tad more but that's me. I hear the lead vox coming through pretty good. The drums and bass are pretty much over riding the mids of the rhythm guitar IMHO. I can't tell if it needs a rolloff or if it's just an EQ thing.
Overall though a great song with a nice message and talented guys playing on it.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

gtrpastor
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/03/03 17:26:26 (permalink)
Starise - Thanks for listening and for your comments. We're currently making lots of changes to the mix, and hope to post a new one soon. I'll talk to Mike and Reece about your observations and we'll discuss how to address it. Thanks, too, for the compliments. It's nice to have some positive feedback on the song itself. 
- Sean
gtrpastor
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/03/07 16:50:51 (permalink)
I posted a new mix on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/scandalous-grace-band/someday-scandalous-grace

Thanks to everyone for your critiques and advice. We hope you like what we've done with it. Thanks for listening.
-Sean
clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/03/08 12:13:25 (permalink)
Very good song! Nice vocals. I think you guys did a really good job on this one...it kind of has a nice "live" quality to it. I also agree with most of the other comments...particulary the ones about Styx.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/03/08 12:56:45 (permalink)
Good job you guys!  Sean did at great job on the lead voc.  I like his voice. Good drum programming too Reece!
Guitars and keys are good as well. The only nit I would say is that sometimes it feels like instruments and vocal are not right in the pocket. Like a guitar was rushed for a second or the vocal was not right with the beat at times. This would be something to look for before final mix IMO and easy to fix if needed.
This is one of my favorite songs/productions from you guys.  

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/03/08 15:18:38 (permalink)
Hey Clint, thanks for listening.  Glad you like this one.  It kind of does have a little bit of a live quality to it, as you say.  The Styx reference is funny because the first time I heard Sean sing on our very first group song, I made the reference that he had a Dennis DeYoung quality to his voice.  The song, had a Triumph feel to it the first time I actually heard the song.  You mentioned that you agreed with most of the comments above.  We did an update on this one, so if you are still hearing some issues, please let us know that we still need to work on something.

A little history on how we ended up recording this song.  As a band, between songs and waiting for more to be written, Sean suggested that we each submit an old song of our own solo work, to be re-worked as a group song.  He had actually chosen another.  I was browsing his songs at his personal Sound Cloud site and fell in love with this song, immediately.  I talked him into changing his song to this one and Reece agreed.  It has been one of my favorites penned from Sean since the moment I heard it. 

Jimmy, thank you also for your comments.  The group keeps getting tighter musically and personally as we work together.  If something is still off with the instrumentation, it probably means that one of the instruments needs to be nudged a little one way or the other.  I don't think it is the Bass on this song, because I checked its timing using Audio Snap when I tracked.  If it was off a little in a spot or two, I fixed it right there at the time.  I had fun playing Bass on this song by the way.  I love the little riff Sean had in the song at the beginning and repeated on the 2nd Verse.  It is one of those hooks that draws me in.

I love Sean's voice as well.  From the moment I first heard it, I did a happy dance and said to my self...."All right, a real singer!"  We really haven't discussed this much as a group, but I think we may all feel the same way.  My favorite bands have always been those that have multiple Lead Vocalists.  I believe that we will continue with this direction.  I like the variety, I know that Sean has encouraged Reece (Ringo) and I (Pretty) to keep singing our own tunes.  If it becomes obvious that I am not a good fit for the song, I will gladly turn it over to Sean....after all.....I too love the timbre of his voice.  I know this, having both Reece and Sean's talents available to use on my songs, has made me a better singer and musician. 

There are many more in the works and we are enjoying the process of working as a group.
post edited by michaelhanson - 2015/03/08 15:35:51

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
daryl1968
  • Total Posts : 10984
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/03/09 15:21:07 (permalink)
Great melody chaps. Love the lead and backing vocals.
the drums get a little messy here and there and I think it's the snare effect (gate?) that's throwing it off somehow

Beagle
Re: "Someday" by Scandalous Grace 2015/03/09 19:31:00 (permalink)
daryk me mate!  thanks so much for your time and attention!  we appreciate it so much!

there's no gate on the snare, but there are still timing issues with the acoustic as you and those above have noticed.  we're trying hard to resolve them.  thanks again, glad you like the melody, lead and BGV's!

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1