Helpful ReplyThe great online dress color debate

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2015/02/27 01:37:44 (permalink)

The great online dress color debate

For some reason it seems social media has gone nuts over what colors are in the dress in this photo:

Apparently the dress is blue and black in real life but the debate centers around what colors are shown in this photo, which is obviously overexposed or filtered or something. I've scrolled through hundreds of comments in disbelief as the disagreement seems to be based around whether the colors are either blue & black or gold & white. A small minority of people actually identify the colors correctly - periwinkle and gold. In no way are the stripes on that dress either black or white. Yet a majority of people are reporting that's what they see. Of course it's easy enough to take pixel samples and determine the actual colors - I took a sample of the periwinkle parts as #7D8AB7 and a sample of the gold parts as #7E6E4C. Of course you could argue that those colors are not strictly defined as periwinkle or gold, but the fact remains that they are what they are, which is anything but black (#000000) or white (#FFFFFF). 

Of course it doesn't really matter in the slightest and I can't believe I actually got interested enough to take readings of the freaking pixels. I'm just freaked out that so many people, a clear majority by my estimation, are getting these colors wildly wrong. What's going on? Is color blindness an epidemic? Or are most people's computer screens so unbelievably crappy that they're actually misrepresenting these colors to that extent? I'm genuinely curious. I'm at the point where I can no longer believe anyone when they describe something's color. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/27 03:12:35 (permalink)
You underestimate them humans. I'm sure there's someone out there who'd argue that it's actually a picture of a green camel or of an alien that sort of looks like Ben Affleck.

Actually, there's probably enough of them to start a cult...

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/27 03:18:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2015/02/27 03:42:49
She has very short arms...

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/27 03:38:27 (permalink)
Well.

I have an 'A' level in art. I studied graphic design for 4 years, achieving the regional diploma after 3 years, and a degree in the final year. If I so wished, I could have the letters LSIAD after my name.

Is it brown?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/27 03:46:22 (permalink)

That reminds me of the above and below images.  The color of the middle cubes on all sides above is the same (provable by pulling the image into a photo imaging program and sampling).

Sure looks like brown on top and orange on the main face towards you, doesn't it?

The top and the bottom are actually the same color.

One last one.  Squares "A" and "B" above are actually the same color.

Conclusion?  Our brains are messed up! 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/27 03:52:20 (permalink)
craigb

Our brains are messed up! 

Let's see -  would you or wouldn't you wear that dress?

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/27 04:02:19 (permalink)
Rain
craigb

Our brains are messed up! 

Let's see -  would you or wouldn't you wear that dress?

I would if it wasn't so green..

and it came in a big enough size...

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

jamesg1213
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/27 08:12:34 (permalink)
Karyn
She has very short arms...

...and deep pockets. Must be from around here.

Jyemz

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/27 20:45:22 (permalink)
I saw that on the tele today a couple of times and frankly.. I don't get it. It always looks white and goldish to me. How could anyone see it as black and blue? Really? Elaborate, I cannot get my little mind around this.

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
jbow
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/27 20:52:08 (permalink)
craigb

That reminds me of the above and below images.  The color of the middle cubes on all sides above is the same (provable by pulling the image into a photo imaging program and sampling).

Sure looks like brown on top and orange on the main face towards you, doesn't it?

One last one... no they're not, at least not on my screen. I never claimed to have a brain, I have never seen my brain so I'm not sure if I have one or not but if I do... well, it has been disassembled and reassembled. There may have been some parts left over, or maybe that was earwax. How can those squares be the same color? Did you get this off Facebook, that would explain it! LOL.

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
jbow
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/27 20:55:11 (permalink)
OK, if I tit my screen way back so that I start to see squares on the border of the webpage... the dress turns blue and black, but that is a dress of a different color no?

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/27 21:17:44 (permalink)

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
sharke
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 03:30:58 (permalink)
There is no white in that dress. This is what's scaring me, I had no idea how many people have such a distorted perception of color. There's a lot of talk about optical illusions and how surrounding colors alter your perception, but the objective truth of the matter is that the colors in the photo are approximately periwinkle and gold. Everyone's viewing the same image, i.e. a file containing numerical values which represent pixel colors. And you can use a small program like ColorPix to hover your mouse over the pixels in the image and read their values.  I did this, and the actual colors of the pixels are exactly as I perceive them. Periwinkle is like a light blue/purple. 

So what's scaring me is how many people see that periwinkle color as white. I can't for the life of me work out how anyone could get it so wrong, unless they have some severe form of color blindness. I mean there's a clear example of white in the photo for comparison - the blown out top right corner. That's white! How can anyone think the blue-purple color in the dress is anywhere near that color? It's astounding. Like a lot of people have pointed out, the color of the dress doesn't matter in the slightest in the grand scheme of things. What matters is how this has exposed the extent to which some people aren't seeing in true color. I'm shocked! When a witness to a crime says the perp was wearing a white t-shirt, to what extent are we supposed to believe them after this? 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Zonno
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 999
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 03:45:38 (permalink)
sharke
So what's scaring me is how many people see that periwinkle color as white.....

Yes it is dark white to me.

Cakewalk, Reason 10, KOMPLETE 11, BIAB 2018, Roland OctaCapture, Finale 26, PCR-300, HP ZBook, Guitars 
kakku
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1646
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 05:51:44 (permalink)
I see it blue and black.

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
kakku
jbow
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 07:58:18 (permalink)
WOAH..... I had the original picture of the dress on my screen when I shut the lid last night. My wife and I were talking about it this AM when I opened my computer. We were talking about how we didn't understand... BUT when I opened my computer I saw BLACK and BLUE..  WEIRD!! Yesterday I saw gold and white. I had not refreshed the page either. Then she came over to look and she saw white and gold while I saw black and blue, same picture, same time, same angle... now that is strange! I don't care what the explanation is, that is strange!

OK... but square A and square B are still different.

J
post edited by jbow - 2015/02/28 08:14:13

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
jbow
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 08:18:41 (permalink)
Now, if I hold my screen at an extreme angle, tilted back.... I see the white and gold. Yesterday when I did that I saw black and blue while seeing white and gold and the regular viewing angle. This is TOO weird. It is like some kind of stealth technology. Will we soon have a suit that makes us sort of invisible? This would be a GREAT thing for bank robbers! I'll read the explanations but it will still be weird. How can my wife and I look at the same picture, at the same time and see two completely different things and even weirder, yesterday I saw what she saw. Frankly, it is troubling.
J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
jamesg1213
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 09:09:29 (permalink)
soens
It was on national news last night. ("this is national news?!?!?") There's nothing wrong with people's eyes. The photo was somehow taken with a certain exposure to cause it to turn out like it did - confusing everyone.

Exactly.

Really not getting what the big deal is here. It's a photo of a dress, on a computer screen, it's not as if people are looking at the real thing and seeing different colours.

Jyemz

jbow
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 09:16:52 (permalink)
ARRRRGHHH... now it is light brown and light blue... I was doing something else and came back and at first it was gold and a light, light blue but I did a retake and it was brown at the top, with light blue and black stripes. It seems to change as I'm looking at it. I do not like this.

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
jbow
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 10:05:50 (permalink)
http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

Interesting...

Try going to the OP in this thread and position the picture of the dress so that you can only see the very top, to me it looks brown. Then position so you can only see the bottom two colors of the dress, they look distinctly black and blue. Then look at the whole dress and see if it looks different. I'm interested to know.
This reminds me of some things I have seen on Brain Games.

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
jamesg1213
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 10:21:49 (permalink)
Nope, looks the same to me whenever and however I look at it.

Jyemz

sharke
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 10:59:47 (permalink)
Looks the same to me too. Doesn't matter what time of day I look, or how I tilt the screen, or if I isolate one part of the photo and look at that, the lighter color of the dress ALWAYS looks periwinkle. And that's what color the pixels really are. It never looks white or "dark white" (grey). I would ask those who are seeing white, look at the blown out white in the top right corner of the photo. That is white. Are you seriously seeing that same color in the dress instead of periwinkle? If you have Photoshop or similar, set a background to the hex RGB value I mentioned in the original post. That color is a reading I took from an average pixel from the photo. It's clearly not white, not from the RGB value or how it looks. I'm just wondering if some people's eyes can't register periwinkle.

I don't know why some people are inverting the photo or pointing out what color the dress is in real life (this seems to be the buzz across the Internet). Yes the camera has obviously gotten the actual color of the dress wrong for whatever reason. But the issue is the color of the pixels in the photo, not the real color of the dress.

James
sharke
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 10:59:48 (permalink)
Dupe. Damn dress made me click send twice.

James
drewfx1
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 12:10:12 (permalink)
You have to read the scientific explanations.

Basically our brains interpret color based on the perceived lighting before it reaches our consciousness. The explanation is that some people are perceiving elements of the ambiguous context around the dress differently and their brains are doing the appropriate color correction for them before it reaches their conscious perception.

Human perception is notoriously unreliable in part because of all the "automatic" preprocessing our brains do before it gets to our conscious perception.

Not for nothing, but this is why careful, objectively controlled testing is absolutely necessary to determine whether something someone claims they heard is real or not. We don't perceive the real world directly, we perceive a heavily processed version of what's really out there and we have no control over the processing.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
jbow
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 12:22:15 (permalink)
sharke
Looks the same to me too. Doesn't matter what time of day I look, or how I tilt the screen, or if I isolate one part of the photo and look at that, the lighter color of the dress ALWAYS looks periwinkle. And that's what color the pixels really are. It never looks white or "dark white" (grey). I would ask those who are seeing white, look at the blown out white in the top right corner of the photo. That is white. Are you seriously seeing that same color in the dress instead of periwinkle? If you have Photoshop or similar, set a background to the hex RGB value I mentioned in the original post. That color is a reading I took from an average pixel from the photo. It's clearly not white, not from the RGB value or how it looks. I'm just wondering if some people's eyes can't register periwinkle.

I don't know why some people are inverting the photo or pointing out what color the dress is in real life (this seems to be the buzz across the Internet). Yes the camera has obviously gotten the actual color of the dress wrong for whatever reason. But the issue is the color of the pixels in the photo, not the real color of the dress.

No, I don't have PS or anything like it. My wife has Picassa but I don't know anything about it.
Crap! I went to look at the flap in the upper right and the darn dress is gold and white again, not a bright white but white and the flap looks just the same as the left sleeve. I might see a slight difference between the right sleeve and the flap. I am almost afraid to look again. It turns from gold to a brownish color while I am looking at it. It blows my mind that it was black and blue this morning to me and gold and white to my wife. That eliminates light or screen or angle.

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
sharke
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 12:41:45 (permalink)
See the thing is I understand these optical illusions and am taking in by them myself, but I just don't see what is optical illusiony about that photo. The relative light levels remain fairly constant all the way down the dress and the gold and periwinkle colors are not obscured.

Here's the colors I mentioned earlier, which I took as samples from the image, size by side with each other on a white background. Apologies for the sloppiness, I did it quickly in MS Paint on a small laptop with a trackpad

The upper box is periwinkle, the box beneath it is gold. The background is pure white. I don't see what is so confusing about those colors at all, and I don't see what it is about the photo that would make people confuse them.

James
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 13:09:12 (permalink)
She has no arms, nice, very nice figure. But no arms

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

craigb
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 13:45:52 (permalink)
jbow
craigb

One last one... no they're not, at least not on my screen. I never claimed to have a brain, I have never seen my brain so I'm not sure if I have one or not but if I do... well, it has been disassembled and reassembled. There may have been some parts left over, or maybe that was earwax. How can those squares be the same color? Did you get this off Facebook, that would explain it! LOL.

Pull the images into something like Photoshop then sample each square.  You will find that they are, indeed, the same color! 

drewfx1
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 13:48:49 (permalink)
sharke
See the thing is I understand these optical illusions and am taking in by them myself, but I just don't see what is optical illusiony about that photo. The relative light levels remain fairly constant all the way down the dress and the gold and periwinkle colors are not obscured.

It's not the colors of the dress itself, it's the light around the dress. Our brains preprocess color perception somewhat by correcting for the lighting conditions. 

The lighting conditions in the picture are apparently just ambiguous enough so that some people are perceiving different lighting conditions and their brains are compensating accordingly.

craigb
Re: The great online dress color debate 2015/02/28 13:52:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2015/02/28 14:00:17
drewfx1
sharke

It's not the colors of the dress itself, it's the light around the dress. Our brains preprocess color perception somewhat by correcting for the lighting conditions. 

The lighting conditions in the picture are apparently just ambiguous enough so that some people are perceiving different lighting conditions and their brains are compensating accordingly.

Yep.  Because the rest of the picture looks so bright, most brains think the dress is white but in shadow.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1