Helpful ReplyIs Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous!

Author
orangesporanges
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
2015/02/28 17:56:30 (permalink)

Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous!

I have X3e producer, and am intrigued by the whole membership and updates and extras. But since I decided to browse the forum, all I see all over the place is "braintree " this and that, none of it too positive. I would like to give it a shot, but not if it's going to take me a week to sort through all of the fallout from installing a new version. My primary concerns are how it is going to affect :
1) melodyne (I have editor)
2) Rapture (already have)
3) Dimension pro (ditto)
4) AD2 (I already have it as well as one Artist pack installed) do they give you promo codes, or what?
Are the above mentioned "new" versions (release x.x) or are they going to make me chase my tail re-registering them doing rollbacks to recover things,etc.
Surely, some of you have a similar situation to mine. How'd it go for you?
I asked this question in another thread yesterday, but didn't get a lot of feedback(although what I did get was helpful). That was before I started really digging in and found a lot of users questioning the whole process.
I need some advice and reassurance before I leap.
Thanks,
Tim

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64bit, 3.4ghz i7CPU,  16gigs RAM, 1x 1TB SSD system drive 1 x 1TB HDD ( audio only)
SimpleManZ
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 18:19:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby orangesporanges 2015/02/28 18:30:07
Basically...
The algorithm running the audio(and midi) 'engine' has improved, thus enhancing Sonar for what it is...A music production application. Along with some nifty tools and plugs, like VOC-Align, end productions can be greatly improved.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 18:23:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby orangesporanges 2015/02/28 18:31:07
It will not affect 1 through 4. You will not need to install any of those products again and best not to try. The AD2 product included in Platinum is the XLN Producer bundle, a coupon for 3 ADPaks, 3 MIDIPacks and 3 KitPieces for your existing AD2 install. Platinum is an improvement over X3. Just like any new product there is a lot of posting activity. Just like any forum, most are posts about problems. Many that have upgraded were in your situation. I do not see many posts about giving up on Platinum, just posts about things that could be improved. No different than any new product roll out.
post edited by scook - 2015/02/28 18:40:07
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 18:25:35 (permalink)
scook
I do see many posts about giving up on Platinum, just posts about things that could be improved. 

Based on what comes after the comma, did you mean to say you don't see many posts about giving up on Platinum? 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 18:30:46 (permalink)
I've been following the comments closely, and it seems that if you submit to the borg and just let CCC do its thing, it works. I've one seen a couple complaints about what's in the update itself, even a couple people who don't have any particular need for what's in there recognize that others will and it's a good selection. There's mostly confusion about what does and does not get installed, where it gets installed, why you can't choose where it gets installed (except for VSTs), a desire for more granular installation (.e.g, just the operating manual PDF and not the other tutorials and help), and whether things get overwritten.

I've been doing a la carte installations up until now, but several people have said that CCC doesn't know about what it hasn't installed, which I assume is correct. So I figured what the heck - I'll do a full install, get CCC up to date, and make it happy.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
scook
Forum Host
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 18:38:51 (permalink)
Anderton
scook
I do see many posts about giving up on Platinum, just posts about things that could be improved. 

Based on what comes after the comma, did you mean to say you don't see many posts about giving up on Platinum? 

it was a typo, I corrected it.
orangesporanges
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 18:51:09 (permalink)
That's what I needed to know, scook, thanks to all for chiming in, as I'm running out of time to get in under the wire.
As I said in a similar post yesterday, The AD2 Producer bundle is worth it all by itself,  as this goes for $249 on their site. You can never have too big of a drum library! Count me in as one of the converted!

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64bit, 3.4ghz i7CPU,  16gigs RAM, 1x 1TB SSD system drive 1 x 1TB HDD ( audio only)
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 19:00:12 (permalink)
I'm borged.
Anderton
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 19:01:10 (permalink)
scook
Anderton
scook

it was a typo, I corrected it.

Thanks Steve. Remember, you're dealing with a recovering ediholic from all those years of working at magazines. However -  I have stopped correcting grammar in casual conversations, so I'm improving. In fact, the doctors say I will soon be well enough not to pound my head into walls when I see "it's" used to indicative the possessive. 

Jeff M.
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 541
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 19:07:43 (permalink)
No worries, Craig, its all good.

[sic]

Platinum 64
RME UCX | Studio Cat Platinum: i7 2700k @ 4.5Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 | Win 7 64
Komplete Kontrol S61
Gibson, Jackson, Parker, Suhr, Breedlove, Taylor, Lakland, Peavey, Marshall, Kemper
scook
Forum Host
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 20:08:18 (permalink)
Anderton

Thanks Steve. Remember, you're dealing with a recovering ediholic from all those years of working at magazines. However -  I have stopped correcting grammar in casual conversations, so I'm improving. In fact, the doctors say I will soon be well enough not to pound my head into walls when I see "it's" used to indicative the possessive. 

I credit "Grammatik IV" with improving my second trip through college by at least one letter grade. That and word processing all assignments in WordPerfect include math and CS.
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 20:17:41 (permalink)
features wise = yes
bug / stability / broken features = wait 

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

scook
Forum Host
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 20:38:57 (permalink)
I would ask Zo if this is an assessment of Platinum v. X3 or some other version. I believe Zo does not use X3.
whitejs
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 89
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 22:12:16 (permalink)
I would say you probably won't see much worth getting in Platinum.  

One of the most low-impact pay-for-the-upgrade deployments I've seen in any program, really.

I'm using it, but regretting that it doesn't add much of anything to what I was doing with X3e.

I guess software mfgs. need to make some revenue now and then, so that's understandable.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 22:38:41 (permalink)
It's been keeping me busy. I've been having fun!

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 23:26:58 (permalink)
I'll say it's low impact. For me it was like opening x3e only to find that there was a new Command bar that was much more flexible and useful. Vocalsync, powerful in its simplicity. Everywhere a little tweak and a fix. It wasn't X3 of course but it was a stable as that and ran snappier.

For ages the cry has been more in der the hood fixes please, make it more stable, more this more that. Cakewalk listened and now someone says its a low impact release with not much to satisfy anyone.

Sure there's some loose ends with information and such and some more tweaks needed more so in the release area than the program but if this is a sign of what's to come over the next year then we're all in for one hell of a great program with Sonar 2015.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Anderton
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/02/28 23:41:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GLG 2015/03/01 03:29:30
whitejs

One of the most low-impact pay-for-the-upgrade deployments I've seen in any program, really.

I'm using it, but regretting that it doesn't add much of anything to what I was doing with X3e.

I guess software mfgs. need to make some revenue now and then, so that's understandable.

Well, you have a good point. If you never need to create and export alternate mixes or remixes, have no interest in high-res audio, never have to match dialog to picture, are happy with existing amp sims, don’t have clients asking for DSD masters as well as PCM, don’t need to use a control bar that’s adaptable to laptops or desktops, don’t use MIDI so you don’t need MIDI time-stretching or pattern creation/copying, don’t use loops, are totally fine with only algorithmic reverb and don’t like the realism of convolution reverb, are satisfied with AudioSnap the way it was, don’t see a need for gapless instrument muting, never want to drag-and-drop audio that incorporates effects or envelopes, think VST3 channel context support is silly, don’t speak a language other than English, don’t want to be able to create an independent project copy while continuing to work on an existing version, aren’t affected by any of the bugs that have been fixed, have no interest in drum replacement (coming soon), don’t use a lot of sends or FX in console view so you can always see them onscreen all the time, don’t use the Vienna libraries or anything else that needs multiple MIDI input buses, don’t mind dropouts because you don’t have adaptive disk streaming, don’t want the changes folded in that are due in the next year, and if you need to do vocal alignment figure it makes more economic sense to spend twice the price of the Platinum update for a third-party plug-in, then X3e – which is pretty solid – could very well remain an ideal solution.

GLG
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/03/01 03:21:22 (permalink)
whitejs

I think that's a little harsh. After a lot of checking, reading and playing around with Platinum, I think it was a good update. But it was always going to be the case that there would be various reactions depending on an individuals needs and wants, and will also be the case with the "monthly" updates. I think another 8-10 updates of the Braintree standard for 2015 will satisfy most people's requirements. And don't forget those bug fixes. Cakewalk are listening.

And for me, this statement by Cakewalk regarding the Braintree update is incredibly important - "With this update, there are even more fixes and enhancements —further evidence of Cakewalk’s goal to make SONAR the most stable DAW on the planet".   (My bold.) 
Yahoo. Go Cake. I believe that this will eventually win more sales and happy customers than any other aspect of the product. I think they are on the right track by fine tuning and stabilizing the core product, fixing bugs and adding function and workflow enhancements. Good long term planning. Well that's the good......

Now..........................lets tweak that bloody Command Center.

Greg
whitejs
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/03/01 07:20:38 (permalink)
Sarcasm aside, Craig, although you've blessed those who may not read product issue details with fine information, having listed every possible notable improvement/change, it seems a bit defensive.  I would seriously ask, as I don't come here often, do you work for/with Cakewalk, or have vested interests in the company?

And I say that because there are so many places that advanced users such as you and me could have already found and reviewed the great features and developmental progress offered in Platinum OTHER than an immediate reply here that it just looks defensive and a bit "company guy".

I say this because I wanted, with my rightful opinion and privilege to express myself to another user, to convey what might be a simple, practical viewpoint to someone who was on the fence about the upgrade purchase.  I use Sonar daily, and have done so with the embodiment of Cakewalk's DAW products for over twenty years.  My posting was my basic feeling about this issue.  X3 was doing fine in so many ways that are entirely similar to the function of Platinum that I spoke such.  This is a user forum.

Now, if I take your example and list all the things that ARE THE SAME in form, function and application we'd lose about five feet of text space on this page, and it would indeed be even more of a contrived effort (although less sarcastic) than your effort to list all the possible (but not used collectively, as listed, buy anyone) changes.

Sonar kicks butt.  X3 kicks butt, but I've not clicked on it for a week.  Platinum rolls excellently, in many respects; it just didn't change a great deal for what I would guess are many users, and I want to put that out there.  No need for the cavalry -- especially the sarcasm troops, as this place has enough contention and smarty-pants responses to go around already.

post edited by whitejs - 2015/03/01 07:28:26
gustabo
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/03/01 07:25:40 (permalink)
mudgel
... but if this is a sign of what's to come over the next year then we're all in for one hell of a great program with Sonar 2015.

I think that we already have one hell of a great program with SPLat!

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

whitejs
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/03/01 07:28:06 (permalink)
And indeed we had one with X3 and prior.  Heck, Sonar Producer 8 was a great help to me and so many studio producers.  The evolution never ends!
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/03/01 11:57:41 (permalink)
whitejs
I would seriously ask, as I don't come here often, do you work for/with Cakewalk, or have vested interests in the company?

You could say that.

I  believe the info should be in Craig's signature, to avoid confusion to newcomers.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Anderton
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/03/01 12:37:38 (permalink)
Unfortunately what I intend as humor often comes off as sarcasm...I say a lot of stuff with a smile on my face, not teeth clenched in anger. I'm not a fan of a text-only medium. At my seminars, I often make a lot of comments which if you were to write them down, would look snarky but they're the "laugh lines" that loosen up a crowd when accompanied by a grin.

It never occurred to me to put an affiliation in my sig because I've always been a huge SONAR supporter; the affiliation is in all my blog posts, and my forum posts aren't that different than what I've been posting long before the Gibson acquisition. But I think it's a good idea. The only problem is that I'm a Gibson employee, not a Cakewalk one, and I don't have to be here...I'm here because I want to be. So I'm not quite sure how to describe myself, especially because I'm so familiar with the software I also point out issues that others might not encounter. I'm still waiting for them to fix the VX-64 problem...and wondering why clicking on the CCC Platinum ProChannel Collection crashes the CCC... [Edit: scook pointed out that users will not encounter this, mine was a unique case because I did not clear out settings from something I tested.]

I'll try to keep this short. I felt in 2013 that Cakewalk was going down the tubes, and I'm not ashamed to admit I wanted to steal a Cakewalk employee for Gibson before the company disappeared and he was hired by someone else. That's when I found out the company was for sale. Gibson Brands' CEO has been a Cakewalk user since DOS, and when I asked if he wanted me to research this opportunity, he saw unrealized potential and said yes.

Cakewalk had a lot of plans they had never been able to implement for a variety of reasons. Despite the condition of the company, I felt if they could do what they always wanted to do, they could turn it around. And the company did something amazing - turned around a very bad year into a good one in the last three months of 2013. X3 (which was "baked" before the acquisition) was a great release and the community's faith in Cakewalk, which was rewarded by X3, basically saved the company.

So I have a business reason for wanting Cakewalk to succeed, although my job is not dependent on their success. But that's dwarfed by my personal reasons for wanting Cakewalk to succeed. I've known the people there for a couple decades and they are some of the nicest, sharpest, most dedicated people I've seen in any company - and I've consulted to companies literally from A to Z, including major companies like Microsoft but also Steinberg, Ableton, Native Instruments, Peavey, TASCAM, etc. etc. I know how much the people at Cakewalk care about their customers and how much they appreciate the community's support.

I was at meetings where the membership program was discussed and the entire thrust of it was "how do we create happy customers?" That was their sole motivation. Of course, a zillion happy customers would have business benefits. But the motivation wasn't "how do we have better cash flow?" and then they worked backwards from there. So when the program was introduced and the cynics came out saying that it was a money-grubbing scheme, Cakewalk would just take the money and not deliver anything, and that Cakewalk didn't care about its community, it was really disturbing to me that people could be that cynical and that distrusting. I understand why - I can read a newspaper as well as anyone else - but here was a company that was being idealistic and placing the customer first, and they were greeted with distrust and derision by some.

Yes, that does bother me. A lot. But it would also bother me if, say, Ableton did the same thing and got the same reaction. I have a lot of friends at Ableton and that company is also filled with nothing but dedicated people. My impatience with the human race is not limited to reactions to Cakewalk 

And yes, I do want Cakewalk to be successful. But 90% of that is because I'm a hardcore SONAR user, I depend on it, and I want the program to go as far as Cakewalk can take it. The other 10% that's business-related comes out of that. If I left Gibson tomorrow, my opinion would not change. If anything, I would become more of a booster because then no one could question my motives.

I'm not a kid. I'll be dead before too long. I'm concerned the window is closing for trying to make this a better world. I feel Cakewalk is composed of people who want to make this a better world, they're doing what they can to implement that goal, and yes, I want the good guys to win.

scook
Forum Host
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/03/01 12:40:52 (permalink)
Anderton
 wondering why clicking on the CCC Platinum ProChannel Collection crashes the CCC...

I sent you a PM about this.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/03/01 12:55:12 (permalink)
whitejs
Sarcasm aside, Craig, although you've blessed those who may not read product issue details with fine information, having listed every possible notable improvement/change, it seems a bit defensive.  I would seriously ask, as I don't come here often, do you work for/with Cakewalk, or have vested interests in the company?

And I say that because there are so many places that advanced users such as you and me could have already found and reviewed the great features and developmental progress offered in Platinum OTHER than an immediate reply here that it just looks defensive and a bit "company guy".

I say this because I wanted, with my rightful opinion and privilege to express myself to another user, to convey what might be a simple, practical viewpoint to someone who was on the fence about the upgrade purchase.  I use Sonar daily, and have done so with the embodiment of Cakewalk's DAW products for over twenty years.  My posting was my basic feeling about this issue.  X3 was doing fine in so many ways that are entirely similar to the function of Platinum that I spoke such.  This is a user forum.

Now, if I take your example and list all the things that ARE THE SAME in form, function and application we'd lose about five feet of text space on this page, and it would indeed be even more of a contrived effort (although less sarcastic) than your effort to list all the possible (but not used collectively, as listed, buy anyone) changes.

Sonar kicks butt.  X3 kicks butt, but I've not clicked on it for a week.  Platinum rolls excellently, in many respects; it just didn't change a great deal for what I would guess are many users, and I want to put that out there.  No need for the cavalry -- especially the sarcasm troops, as this place has enough contention and smarty-pants responses to go around already.

You have every right to your opinion.  My view is completely different form yours. Platinum is a major release that is great not just because of very useful new feature but because a boat load of bugs are fixed in it. Plus it offers continued improvement for the duration of the membership. The new stuff is very very nice but for me the biggest to get Platinum is just how well it works.  X3 e was a very good version and I take nothing from it when I say Platinum is as much improved in its stability and smoothness as X3 was over X2. 

Because you don't see these things well you think there is no advantage in upgrading. You couldn't be more wrong. 

As to Mr. Anderton he is a huge asset to this forum. That may not be important to you but it is to me and most every one else. You have no right or license to question his being here at all.

You may disagree with him all you want but you may not question his integrity.    

Best
John
Anderton
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/03/01 13:04:20 (permalink)
John
As to Mr. Anderton he is a huge asset to this forum. That may not be important to you but it is to me and most every one else. You have no right or license to question his being here at all.

With all due respect, I disagree. I think he has every right to make any comment he wants. That also has the benefit of presenting me with an opportunity to clarify anything that needs to be clarified.

I subscribe to "nothing's better left unsaid." I'm not perfect just because I try to be. You can never go wrong with self-examination and making course corrections.

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/03/01 13:17:13 (permalink)
 I give you Craig the same rights I give him and you are not allowed to question you! 

Best
John
whitejs
Re: Is Platinum worth it? I'm a little nervous! 2015/03/01 14:29:06 (permalink)
Craig,

I've benefited from your focused and enlightening presence in the musical market since the late eighties.  Not an issue of EM went by that I didn't get before the bookstore could put it on the sell-shelf.  I see your involvement here as an incredible boost to the community.  Although I did not know you were officially helping out with things, I certainly held your comments in high regard for both their accuracy, advocacy and intent.  My humor was in asking the rhetorical "Hey, you workin' for these guys?"  It was a big smile from me to you.  I send you another even greater smile after reading your mature, balanced, candid, informative reply.

I'm a serious tech-head when it comes to this stuff, like many here, but I always try to keep a perspective that might help those that are not in my shoes.  I know all the things that are new, and I can heartily say that the movement by CW toward improvement has been a blessing.  I went over to Samplitude for a bit -- right around when you were down about CW (2012-13 or so) -- and returned with X3, ARA and a demonstrated stability increase in Sonar.  

BUT, that being said, I wrote what I wrote to give a shade of light to those who are less intense in their application of Sonar -- those that might not want to spend on the upgrade and those who might not be immersed users the way we are.  I like doing that; it can often be a little beacon amidst the emotionally faithful who would never say a word contrary.  I like doing that because we all have nothing to lose and all to gain by sharing ideas.

I've not read all the retorts here, but I assume that many rushed emotionally to the rescue of both you and Sonar Platinum.  We have to watch that stuff and let folks say what the say with freedom and, if at all possible, interest in another chord, so to speak.  My comments meant no one the slightest iota of harm, let alone insult.  I will again say that the "clubby" atmosphere here has to be avoided at all costs.  Keyboard warriors who would relatively anonymously challenge the world from the isolation of their desks are the bane of the internet, and that sort has been a serious issue here over the years.

Thank you for explaining your humorous approach to delineating the new aspects of Sonar, and take my apology if any aspect of my writing offended you.  My electronic development in music would be of a completely different form and function had you not been in an informative, enjoyable technical influence in my life over the years.

Jon
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1