Helpful ReplyBraintree update. A little messy don't you think?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 19:34:16 (permalink)
Anderton
lawajava
4. Comments / observations by scook and others about certain pieces only being available this month are strong indications to me that reading the forum is time well spent. Already very confusing, but understanding that some pieces will not be accessible as installers later makes it seem very prudent as Craig suggests to back up.

Yes, except that based on Noel's comments, you don't NEED to back up...only if you're a freak about having backups, like me.

More so, it's about having how long it may take to download an update again cuz for some reason the computer traveled back in time.

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 19:37:07 (permalink)
Anderton
scook
Sometimes posts like this are not very clear http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3182007

Well to be fair to Andrew, he was responding to a question from someone who specified "As in if I am not currently a member I will not get those things after this month (or whenever those goodies are yanked)? Or to put it another way are the Braintree items NOT included in cumulative updates?" 

Like Andrew, I too thought the person was talking about cumulative updates for those who become members in the future. If that's the case, Andrew's answer was pretty specific.

This is true but I don't believe my understanding was enhanced by some of your initial replies in this thread. Noel has indicated that we need not create our own installers for added content. Cakewalk will continue to supply installers for the content and that settles the issue for me.
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 19:44:20 (permalink)
Paul P
gswitz
I get panicky when I want to install an update and I'm afraid I'll lose all my custom stuff. It is a worry. And there is so much, you might not notice something is gone until you've got someone over and you want to demo a sound or technique and now you find it missing.

And this is going to happen every month.

This type of heightened reaction to anticipation IS experienced about every 30 days by at least half of the population of humans on this world.

Not confining this observation to just women.

I am an equal-opportunity sexist.

pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 20:24:18 (permalink)
Since my PC had Dim Pro, Rapture and Z3ta+2 installed prior to Platinum, where I want the libraries, I did not installed those with Platinum. How should I get those updates? At the moment Sound Center is downloading and I am reading as many of these February Platinum Braintree threads as I can.

Computer skills are not my strong points, so I am going to use the CCC and download from my products for backups. I did set a restore point this evening before starting out down (I am not trying to imply anything by that! LOL) this path.
Michael

scook
Forum Host
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 20:34:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pentimentosound 2015/03/01 08:29:18
z3ta+2 is not part of Platinum. Don't worry about DimPro and Rapture, the updates are to the installers not the plug-in. Extra content has not been added to those installers. The extra Rapture content for February is in the Anderton Collection. I doubt extra content will ever be added to DimPro or Rapture installers, but I could be wrong.
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 20:46:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson 2015/02/28 23:50:19
Location location location! So many of these issues come back to C3. I know I've been complaining endlessly about it, but if it was fixed many of these issues would just go away as it adds to the overall confusion right now.

At this point, I believe the issues that need to be fixed, from most to least important:
  1. Allow per-product install locations.
  2. Detect already installed products, whether they were manually installed in default or non-default locations. All this info is in the registry, why can't it pick it up?
  3. Allow uninstalling of products. I used C3 to install D-Pro and Rapture, but wanted to uninstall them and install them manually somewhere not on my limited space C drive. To date, after asking multiple times in the forum, nobody can tell me how to uninstall Rapture and D-Pro. It can't be done from either C3 or Add/Remove Programs.
  4. Show changes between updates.
  5. Allow un-hiding of previously hidden products.
  6. Allow the ability to select multiple products and have them all downloaded/installed in one go.

Other that that, I also find the update to be excellent, don't get me wrong.
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 21:43:46 (permalink)
SilkTone
Location location location! So many of these issues come back to C3. I know I've been complaining endlessly about it, but if it was fixed many of these issues would just go away as it adds to the overall confusion right now.

At this point, I believe the issues that need to be fixed, from most to least important:
  2. Detect already installed products, whether they were manually installed in default or non-default locations. All this info is in the registry, why can't it pick it up?
  3. Allow uninstalling of products. I used C3 to install D-Pro and Rapture, but wanted to uninstall them and install them manually somewhere not on my limited space C drive. To date, after asking multiple times in the forum, nobody can tell me how to uninstall Rapture and D-Pro. It can't be done from either C3 or Add/Remove Programs.
  6. Allow the ability to select multiple products and have them all downloaded/installed in one go.

Agreed. These suggestions seem on point.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 22:19:57 (permalink)
Anderton
ampfixer
Instead we're on a monthly release schedule now and that just encourages people to  collect floor sweepings if they don't have something meaningful to deliver.

You're forgetting the DSD update, VocalSync update, Mix Recall update, and 27 fixes. Would you rather not have them now? Do you really think that nothing "meaningful" happens at Cakewalk during a month's time that would be worth giving to members?

And I assume you haven't used Bark of Dog if you think it's a "special effect." Try it next time you need to separate kick from bass, or do narration. A very similar plug-in from a different company costs $150 - the price of an entire year's update for SONAR users. But they could charge that much because, well...try it next time you need to separate kick from bass, or do narration. Or bring out the kick from a drum part. Or give a Rickenbacker bass more "bottom" without adding mud.

Furthermore, I would hardly call 126 IR impulses, 436 MB of loops (which I spent many, many hours editing and tweaking for proper stretching in both WAV and REX formats), an amp optimized for acoustic guitars, and all the other goodies as "floor sweepings." If you actually knew something about loops, and compared them to other commercially available loops, I highly doubt you would call them "floor sweepings."

Anyway, you're going to get a year of loops because I do really good loops , and people use them. The loops I did for M-Audio, Wizoo, and Discrete Drums were some of their best-selling titles. Now members get the same level of quality for free. 

No one should expect a new release to consist only of items of interest to them. The reason for including a lot of stuff is so that everyone gets something useful. If Cakewalk keeps up its pace from this release for the next 12 months, even if you don't care about content at all you'll still get 36 features or updated features, and over 300 bug fixes. And you'll get them as soon as they're available (within a month's time frame).

Major over reaction on your part Craig. I didn't see this release was floor sweepings, I said it could lead that way. I don't think they should feel forced to put something out every month. I didn't think they would when I upgraded. That's what I meant. I stand by my comments on the Pro Channel plug in. I realize that as a primary content generator you have  a vested interest in this stuff.

The whole middle of your post is a fabrication so please lighten up and please don't put words in my mouth.

Poor form my friend.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 23:34:55 (permalink)
We all get a bit annoyed with the complainers that are uninformed.

Sonar costs less than a dollar a day. All the rest of the stuff is FREE. FREE!

A real complaint is why CCC puts samples and presets where all the professional audio dudes advise to NOT put them.
Put this stuff on a separate disk, they say.    But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is a legitimate complaint.

Getting something for free you do not want.  That is not a complaint. That is a whine.

Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 23:40:04 (permalink)
Yo CRAIG

To avoid insanity I suggest you limit your responses to 144 characters. 

Preferably structured as haiku pentameter.

==================
pen·tam·e·ter

Prosody

noun: pentameter; plural noun: pentameters
  • a line of verse consisting of five metrical feet, or
    (in Greek and Latin verse)
    of two halves each of two feet and a long syllable.

Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 23:48:23 (permalink)
    SilkTone

What he wrote.

And put samples on a separate drive.

And,.... I should not have to download the tutorials again just to get the help files.

And,.... I should not have had to download all the DP samples again to get the DP changes.

And,... [your complaint goes here]...

I am expecting that, at some point, during the next few months, the CCC will become all that it can be, including tracking ALL CW products, whenever and however installed, and updated.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 00:26:04 (permalink)
    ampfixer
    I didn't see this release was floor sweepings, I said it could lead that way.

Actually, you didn't. You said: "Instead we're on a monthly release schedule now and that just encourages people to collect floor sweepings if they don't have something meaningful to deliver."

If you'd said "will just encourage," then I would have interpreted what you said as pertaining to the future, and that would have been the end of it. Using the present tense, especially after a string of negative comments devoted to the present release, with everything said before that in the present tense as well, led me to believe you were talking about the present.

The whole middle of your post is a fabrication so please lighten up and please don't put words in my mouth.

It was not a "fabrication," because they were words from MY mouth: "I would hardly call 126 IR impulses, 436 MB of loops (which I spent many, many hours editing and tweaking for proper stretching in both WAV and REX formats), an amp optimized for acoustic guitars, and all the other goodies as 'floor sweepings.' If you actually knew something about loops, and compared them to other commercially available loops, I highly doubt you would call them 'floor sweepings.'" That's how I feel, but of course you can call them anything you want.

How about every update attacks something from the problem reports forums, or generally moves the product down the field toward the goal.

Most of the bug fixes were in response to issues mentioned in the forum, and in my opinion, improving VocalSync, Mix Recall, DSD import/export, and fulfilling more of the potential of convolution reverb move the product further down the field. But that's just my opinion. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    ralf
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 00:36:32 (permalink)
    I also think that the structure for installers and updates should be better organized. In particular, exclusive limited time member content should have its own installer, it should not be included in other installers.

I guess most of the confusion expressed in this thread is caused by including the Hardgroove content in the Anderton Collection (no idea how it will be handled next month to ensure only february members get it) and that the Sonar installer includes "UP1" in its file name (could be interpreted as an abbrev for update) even when it is a full installer.

Also, I agree that help files should be in the main installer or in a separate installer, but not bundled with the huge tutorials, which I probably would not download again even if they were updated. It would be even better, if CCC would use the full installer only for not yet installed items, but provide a smaller update installer for already installed products.

I hope the main focus for bonus content will be on generic items that are likely to be useful for a broad range of users. This is true for most content included in the B. update like reverb IRs, vocal and guitar effects, or the filter. I don't use loops, and loops are usually limited to a rather particular musical style, so that's not really interesting for me. However, content is always just "nice to have", because most long-time Sonar users probably already own almost anything they really need for their music. It is far more important to improve the main application to have a stable and easy to use DAW.

In general, I'm happy with the new update, the two most annoying things (the Kontakt bug and the PRV layout resetting itself) are fixed, so I will switch to the new Sonar now and benefit from all the new features and improvements.

BTW, Sonar installer always puts the Boost11 plugin into C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins, not into the VST folder from the CCC configuration. Must be an installer issue.
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 04:36:08 (permalink)
    Ya, it's all good, whatever. 

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 05:32:24 (permalink)
    ralf
    I also think that the structure for installers and updates should be better organized. In particular, exclusive limited time member content should have its own installer, it should not be included in other installers.

I'm thinking something like Waves installer - a tree of checkboxes.
    And that one checkbox would be the chm helpfile - so you don't need to update the full tut stuff for that.
    OldTimerNewComer
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 05:53:06 (permalink)
    ...For anyone doing "custom installs" by simply
    manually moving files and editing in the Sonar/preferences/folder area only....

''1st  I want to pre-face myself:  

1.not a programmer, developer or retail seller.
    2. just a musician, and long term user of
       Sonar very familiar with 'GOOGLE' who
       has blamed many a good product including Sonar for
       what turned out to be -pilot error-."

* -DAW FOR DUMMIES- # -000- *
    "How to edit your system's global search variable."

1.Control panel ->
    2.advanced system settings ->
    3.Click the button "environment variables" ->
    4.Scroll down to "path" under "system variables" and then ->
    5.click the "edit" button ->
    6.paste the addresses where you prefer installs/downloads/vst's/etc.
       to the end of the list separated by semi-colon(;), in quotes("") ->
    7.click ok. ->

(...What this essentially does is to update your Windows 'system path' to include the folders you manually install applications into.)
    This will ALMOST always lead to trouble-free custom installs when using an internet connected, all-in-one updater, IF it queries your O.S. for install paths prior to doing it's thing.

Many of you are simply complaining about a 'robot' installer's
    in-ability to process information YOU HAVE FAILED TO GIVE.

IF YOU CUSTOMIZE AN INSTALL AND FAIL
    TO INFORM THE WINDOWS O.S. THAT YOU MOVED THE PIECES,
    NO 3RD PARTY UPDATER WILL SEE IT.
    "make sure you are familiar with a software and
    it's DEPENDANCIES  before blaming it for a perceived shortcoming."

Mel

Asus Sabertooth Z77. OCZ "Stealth" PSU 700w. 
    Core i7 2600k @3.8 Ghz via XMP memory  setting.
    AMD Radeon HD6450 CE 2GB DDR3 video.
    Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz (32 Gig). 
    Kingston 512 GB SSD(OS/Software).
    WD 500 GB SATA(data) + 1 TB external.
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 40(FW)-v3.4.
    Windows 10 Pro
    Sonar Platinum Jamaica Plains Update

Ultimately YOU will be the hardest to convince that the Cake is done... Finish it.

My Stuff:
    https://www.reverbnation.com/skeletonkrew9

Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 06:48:15 (permalink)
    OldTimerNewComer
    ''1st  I want to pre-face myself:  

1.not a programmer, developer or retail seller.

Ok... speaking as someone who IS a programmer/developer/etc, the idea of changing your system PATH variable to address installation problems is really not a good one.

All that the PATH variable does is specify where the operating system looks for files when a specific directory has not been provided. This will not help at all in 99% of cases because when an installer is performing its task it will have a pre-set directory that it wants to install into. It might read that directory from its own configuration, or it might read it from the registry (eg. if it detects a previous installation). What it won't do, is just attempt to open an old file and hope that it is found somewhere along the PATH.

IF YOU CUSTOMIZE AN INSTALL AND FAIL
    TO INFORM THE WINDOWS O.S. THAT YOU MOVED THE PIECES,
    NO 3RD PARTY UPDATER WILL SEE IT.

Ok... occasionally your little PATH hack will solve this particular problem. Some software, instead of providing what is called an absolute path (eg. LoadFile: "C:/cakewalk content/some_sample.wav") will perform a 2 part process (eg. SelectDirectory: "C:/cakewalk content/", LoadFile: "some_sample.wav"). In these situations - and only these situations! - it will successfully find "some_sample.wav" if you added its new directory to the PATH. Unfortunately it might also find some other file of the same name anywhere else on the PATH. That's another reason why you shouldn't do this. It will also not work if you haven't added every possible sub-directory to the PATH.

You're right that moving something after it was installed will usually break it. However, modifying the PATH is not always a sufficient fix, and sometimes can cause problems of its own.

The proper place to enter this information is into the installer, which should ask for it. Alternatively, if it is installed in a location that is directly referred to by Sonar (eg. in the Folder Locations part of the Preferences), then all should be well. The OS doesn't need to be told and adding it to the PATH variable is the wrong thing to do, usually with no good effect.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 07:37:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dcumpian 2015/03/02 08:58:12
    Hi Folks,

Building C3 and the new delivery system was a large undertaking for Cakewalk. Not only was there all the back end infrastructure for membership, authorization and the e-store, it also required us to redo every single installer in the system to adapt to this. The ultimate goal is to have every installable component be atomic so that it can be  installed with minimal download size. However in the time we had it was simply impossible to meet that requirement. In the first cut the installers were reorganized to move all the non core components out of the main installer, but the sub content installer are not as granular as we would like them to be.

In a future phase we plan to improve on this and make it more granular and customizable. So if you have requests post them as feature requests...

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    MANTRASKY
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 170
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 08:11:49 (permalink)
    Hello Noel,

So far with the update to Platinum (from Producer X3e) has been trouble free, the download was fast and easy. Everything opened and operate as they should, I like the new features. After updating to "Braintree" my first Crash was with Opening (or clicking on) a Midi track to delete or alter a note (s), and a window opened asking if I would send the failure to Cakewalk, which I did so others might not go through the same thing (or possible fix). I understand at this time a lot of "code" is being addressed, but I feel the Sonar program is a great tool, and I hope things get straighten out as I'm sure they will.

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 09:46:31 (permalink)
    thanks Noël. That's the spirit in which I started this thread.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    fitzj
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1487
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 10:21:13 (permalink)
    I think this release created confusion among many users.
    1 The name Braintree for one.
    2 Location of where contents are placed.
    3. Having to download software we already have with poor download speeds is a major issue where we have to pay extra to ISP providers if we go over our limits.
    I am sure these will be ironed out in the next Braintree 2 or whatever its called or else create more confusion.
    Well done to Craig anyway who must be working night and day to keep the ship rolling here with answers to all the questions.
    mcdonalk
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 10:30:03 (permalink)
    Craig & Noel (and other Cakewalk/Gibson employees):

As sympathetic as I am with the the justifiable concerns raised in this thread, I advise that you do not get embroiled in these discussion on weekends. You need your time off. If you have jobs which never let go of you and occupy your time and thoughts constantly, you will burn out and lose effectiveness.

Keith
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 10:33:07 (permalink)
    There are definitely some teething troubles with Command Centre, and it can get better. But in fairness, here's how it's been for me: bought platinum, downloaded command centre, logged in downloaded and installed everything with one click, never had to type in a serial number. Then a month later, updated everything, with a bunch more clicks, which was a bit annoying, everything installed and working fine. Again, no serial number entry or anything. So I'm fairly impressed.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    fitzj
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1487
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 11:09:28 (permalink)
    mcdonalk

As sympathetic as I am with the the justifiable concerns raised in this thread, I advise that you do not get embroiled in these discussion on weekends. You need your time off. If you have jobs which never let go of you and occupy your time and thoughts constantly, you will burn out and lose effectiveness.

Keith

This is my weekend hobby. Have  a different job during the week.

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 11:13:21 (permalink)
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    However in the time we had it was simply impossible to meet that requirement.

I'm curious as to why there is a time constraint for any of this.  I'm sure many would prefer you doing whatever it is you have in mind, spending whatever time is necessary to get it right.  Then unleash it on the masses.

I detect an odd sense of urgency and you are introducing an awful lot of new things and new ways of doing things all at once.  This puts quite a burden on the user base and must be a nightmare for you guys.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Anderton
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 11:29:03 (permalink)
    scook
    This is true but I don't believe my understanding was enhanced by some of your initial replies in this thread.

Agreed, I didn't fully understand the process until Noel chimed in.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 11:34:13 (permalink)
    I don't think any of us did. I do appreciate everyone's efforts in providing a better understanding and smooth roll out of the new SONAR.
    Anderton
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 11:40:22 (permalink)
    mcdonalk

Keith

That's really considerate, and yet another reminder of just how cool this community is. At the risk of sounding corny, it's touching.

Although there are plenty of reports from people who had no problems, as a long-time user of multiple programs on multiple platforms, I know the frustration of things not working right. With the update dropping on a Friday (!), I knew most Cakewalk people would be off for the weekend and felt someone needed to be involved. I'm really glad Noel participated because he is so much closer to the program than I am.

In the bigger picture, I am a Gibson employee, not a Cakewalk one, and there are some upcoming Gibson projects that will require a lot of my time in the months ahead. I've been spending nights and weekends working on SONAR content for future releases to try and get ahead, but that's okay, because the line between what the company needs me to do and what I like to do is pretty blurry.  

However, I will take your advice to heart and do a nice long walk today 

SilkTone
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1566
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 11:51:46 (permalink)
    OldTimerNewComer

Modifying your PATH variable really is the wrong way to try and fix this mess. Most of the info you'd need to change will be in the registry, or even some custom config files that you might not know about.
    Anderton
    Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 11:51:53 (permalink)
    Paul P

I'm curious as to why there is a time constraint for any of this.  I'm sure many would prefer you doing whatever it is you have in mind, spending whatever time is necessary to get it right.  Then unleash it on the masses.

That's a very good question. From my vantage point, it seems like software is never "finished." It can always be tweaked and improved. As Leonardo da Vinci said, "Art is never finished, just abandoned." I have the same issue when mixing . So at some point you draw a line and say "If we reach this milestone by this time, it's ready to go." Another issue is that you're only going to find out what needs to be improved is if you bite the bullet, put something out into the world, and start getting feedback so you know what the next steps should be.

I detect an odd sense of urgency and you are introducing an awful lot of new things and new ways of doing things all at once.  This puts quite a burden on the user base and must be a nightmare for you guys.

A lot of 2014 was about rebuilding. Not just all the under-the-hood software changes, but also opening up new means of distribution, consolidating the web sites, etc. You're absolutely right, it's always difficult to do these kinds of massive transitions. But the world is getting more fast-paced and more competitive, so I think Cakewalk would like to get the rebuilding process done as rapidly as possible so the company can move forward. 

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1