sonar should come with a beat building machine like fruityloops, so can build loops

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Enigmatic
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 44
Re: sonar should come with a beat building machine like fruityloops, so can build loops 2015/03/01 08:28:15 (permalink)
Ummm buy a multi tembral sampler ive used FL from its inception and inclusion with an earlier cakewalk program. I use NI battery and often Direct Wave (yup The one from FL)and yes that means taking the time to set it up and create a preset. But the step sequencer in sonar is great. Its the exact same concept as the piano roll just with easier control/editing for drum/percussion. Step sequencers are not designed to be played in real time... in hardware or software. I see FL producers making beats in the piano roll all the time which confuses me. Then for mix and fx route each output to its own channel/ track, then route those tracks to a bus. Compress, distort, verb, and stutter and boom
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: sonar should come with a beat building machine like fruityloops, so can build loops 2015/03/01 10:53:16 (permalink)
Battery has its limitations for sure. I love it's large number of drum pads, its sample editing and the huge number of kits it ships with. But why can you only have one EQ instance in a pad's FX chain? The EQ module lets you select between a number of EQ types, but you can only have one of them in a chain. If you need to high pass and low pass plus make a couple of boosts and cuts, you're screwed unless you output the pad to its own track in the DAW. It's relatively easy to do this of course, but you should be able to do all of your per-drum FX processing within the plugin, and Battery fails for me in this regard.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: sonar should come with a beat building machine like fruityloops, so can build loops 2015/03/01 11:01:28 (permalink)
Enigmatic
Step sequencers are not designed to be played in real time... in hardware or software. I see FL producers making beats in the piano roll all the time which confuses me.

Step sequencers which can be recorded into in real time WERE designed to be recorded into in real time. I don't think there's any official body with decides what a step sequencer can and can't offer. It just takes the "traditional" concept of a step sequencer one step further and offers an intuitive, convenient and above all else MUSICAL way of getting the notes into the sequencer. Once they're in there, you can take advantage of the grid editing and pattern arrangement tools which make step sequencers so great to work with.

And there's no reason why you shouldn't view the piano roll as a very flexible step sequencer.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: sonar should come with a beat building machine like fruityloops, so can build loops 2015/03/01 14:09:28 (permalink)
People use the piano roll in FL for a number of reasons. Among them is the fact that melodies and chords are a lot easier to create. It also makes mixing time signatures easier.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1