Helpful ReplyOn Install: can you specify directories?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
2015/02/28 00:33:50 (permalink)

On Install: can you specify directories?

I just got a space warning on update about my c drive, but I always put stuff audio related on my D drive, but obviously the new installer has thoughts of its own. How do I correct this so my precious C drive doesn't get overrun with new install info? I'd hate to have to delete all my keyboard cat vidz to make room. :-)

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/02/28 01:42:16 (permalink)
Only way is to not use the Command Centre and go manual

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/02/28 02:02:32 (permalink)
I should add, while you can direct the CCC to download the files to an alternate non C:/ drive location when unpacked by the CCC the files will still install to their default C:/ drive locations.

Hence the need to download the files from your account as in the past and then do an advanced install on each installer file and make your installation path choice then.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
...wicked
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 12:22:02 (permalink)
Yeah, this C:/Cakewalk Content folder has been slowly building an empire on my hard drive. 

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 12:27:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2015/03/01 15:50:42
The easiest way to move "C:\Cakewalk Content" is using a directory junction. For example, to move the folder to D:
1) Using Windows Explorer move "C:\Cakewalk Content" to D:
2) Run cmd.exe as administrator and type:
mklink /j "C:\Cakewalk Content" "D:\Cakewalk Content"
and you will not have to worry about Cakewalk Content again, at least not until the D drive fills up
Paul G
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2334
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 15:28:09 (permalink)
scook
The easiest way to move "C:\Cakewalk Content" is using a directory junction. For example, to move the folder to D:
1) Using Windows Explorer move "C:\Cakewalk Content" to D:
and you will not have to worry about Cakewalk Content again, at least not until the D drive fills up

Whoa!  Can you expand a bit on this.  Sounds like a solution.  Is it really that simple Scook?  Thanks!

Paul

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Paul Robert Glaser
The Brothers Glaser
SoundClick
scook
Forum Host
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 15:42:01 (permalink)
Not much more to say. It is that easy. Once the folder is moved to the new location and the directory junction is created (the mklink command), SONAR and all subsequent Cakewalk updates will not be aware of any change to the PC, the OS will use the new location to read and write Cakewalk Content.

The same technique may be used to relocate practically anything such as Cakewalk sample content folders (ex. dimPro, Rapture, Session Drummer multisamples folders) or content from other vendors.
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 15:51:10 (permalink)
Thanks Scook... I am going write this down. What about things that are already installed on the C drive, is there any need to do anything with them or is this a one stop fix?
Heck, I am printing this thread! edit> I just copied posts 5 and 7 and pasted then to Notepad and saved them as "CCC Drive and folder fix" and saved it to my desktop... so I can use it on my DAW, I am SO glad that I have not put much on it yet... this is a REALLY helpful post and should be written up and made a "Sticky", IMO. A lot of us really don't know much other than "turn that knob", "press that button", "move that slider".. and as far as a DAW, I just do what I am told and hope it works. Maybe it's just me, but I doubt it. I think people who really know their way around a computer and a DAW just assume that most others do too but, like I said.. as for me, not so much. IT is ALL hard for me but this takes a LOAD off my mind.
Really... Thank you for this!

J
post edited by jbow - 2015/03/01 16:02:24

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 15:58:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2015/03/01 16:03:49
I'm contemplating using junction points for the whole freakin Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders when I set up my new system from Jim in order to keep stuff off of the OS-only SSD drive. It's a bit scary to do, but since it will be a brand new system, I might as well try it and see if there are issues. Worst case I need to nuke and pave if I break it.

But it will have separate application and sample drives, so not sure how to separate those so that I can use C3 and do the installs. Maybe I should put the junction points a bit deeper to make them more targeted in order to separate apps/samples.

Maybe to help all of us that need stuff to not be on the C drive, but want to use C3 for simplicity, we can document the folder structure showing where various files are located. This way it becomes clear how to set up the junction points. I can go and dig through the Program Files folder and try to figure it out but I recall some people knew the layout pretty well.
jbow
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 16:04:23 (permalink)
SilkTone
I'm contemplating using junction points for the whole freakin Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders when I set up my new system from Jim in order to keep stuff off of the OS-only SSD drive. It's a bit scary to do, but since it will be a brand new system, I might as well try it and see if there are issues. Worst case I need to nuke and pave if I break it.

But it will have separate application and sample drives, so not sure how to separate those so that I can use C3 and do the installs. Maybe I should put the junction points a bit deeper to make them more targeted in order to separate apps/samples.

Maybe to help all of us that need stuff to not be on the C drive, but want to use C3 for simplicity, we can document the folder structure showing where various files are located. This way it becomes clear how to set up the junction points. I can go and dig through the Program Files folder and try to figure it out but I recall some people knew the layout pretty well.

At the risk of sounding ignorant (well, about this I AM ignorant, not stupid, I can learn but def ignorant!)... any elaboration will be appreciated. Like "documenting and junction points for dummies". Really, I assume that you mean to just write down where you/I put everything associated with a particular VST, that makes sense.. but if all MIDI and audio associated with instruments goes in subfolders on D drive, under VST Audio and Midi and you direct the .dlls that are on the C drive to their sub folders on the D drive, shouldn't everything work? Then wud I need to set Sonar to just scan the VSTPlugin folder on the C drive? Then C would have a lot of small folders with the big stuff on D drive... or am I not understanding? Would I need to also set to scan the folder on D drive or all the subfoders with audio and midi on D drive?
I hope that makes sense.. 
Thanks you!!

J
post edited by jbow - 2015/03/01 16:12:12

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
scook
Forum Host
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 16:07:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2015/03/01 16:23:49
The assumption in my initial post is data already exists in the folder on the C drive but it does not matter. What does matter is prior to issuing the mklink command, the path on the C: drive must not exist and the path on the D: (or whatever drive is actually storing the data) must exist. This is why in the example above, the first step moves the "C:\Cakewalk Content" folder to the D: drive.

The process for a new install where "C:\Cakewalk Content" did not exist is
1) create "D:\Cakewalk Content"
Then when installing, the installer will think it is writing to "C:\Cakewalk Content" but the OS actually writes everything to "D:\Cakewalk Content." When SONAR starts up it will use the "C:\Cakewalk Content" default setting but the OS actually reads the data from "D:\Cakewalk Content."

jbow
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 16:19:54 (permalink)
The assumption in my initial post is data already exists in the folder on the C drive but it does not matter. What does matter is prior to issuing the mklink command, the path on the C: drive must not exist and the path on the D: (or whatever drive is actually storing the data) must exist. This is why in the example above, the first step moves the "C:\Cakewalk Content" folder to the D: drive.

Huh? So before executing this I should go into Sonar and change the destination folder addresses for whatever I want to move from C to D? I'm OK with leaving the .dll and .exe on C but want the bulk, the MIDI files and Audio files (packs etc) to be on my D drive. I have room on the C drive for now but I want to do it right on my new DAW, in the past I have allowed installers to put things everywhere. I have a 500G C drive, and two other 1T drives, one for samples, midi, etc. The other for projects and audio/midi associated with them, if this makes sense. So... I'm perfectly fine with the VST on C, I want the audio or mido on D and well, you get the idea... does this make sense or does it complicate things? Will what you suggested make CCC put everything on the D drive except Sonar or what? I added post 11 to my Notepad document.
Pretend you're talking to a third grader... I'm sorry.

Thanks!

J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 16:27:32 (permalink)
On my phone here but wanted to make a quick comment to Silk Tone. The advantage of an SSD is fast read times, so programs are best kept on the C drive. Data files are the ones to use a junction on if necessary, specifically video and audio files. Easy way to find the suspect programs that need to be looked at is use windows explorer and search *.* on the C drive for file size = gigantic.

This can be done as/if you see a C drive losing space; but bottom line, I would not recommend blindly junctioning the entire program files folders as it is overkill and bypasses the primary purpose of an SSD (I believe your new comp has an SSD on the C drive).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
SilkTone
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 16:34:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2015/03/01 17:04:14
jbow
At the risk of sounding ignorant (well, about this I AM ignorant, not stupid, I can learn but def ignorant!)... any elaboration will be appreciated. Like "documenting and junction points for dummies". Really, I assume that you mean to just write down where you/I put everything associated with a particular VST, that makes sense.. but if all MIDI and audio associated with instruments goes in subfolders on D drive, under VST Audio and Midi and you direct the .dlls that are on the C drive to their sub folders on the D drive, shouldn't everything work? Then wud I need to set Sonar to just scan the VSTPlugin folder on the C drive? Then C would have a lot of small folders with the big stuff on D drive... or am I not understanding? Would I need to also set to scan the folder on D drive or all the subfoders with audio and midi on D drive?
I hope that makes sense.. 
Thanks you!!

J

Junction points are transparent to anything that use those folders/files. If you were to do what scook says and create a junction point for "C:\Cakewalk Content" to some other drive, Sonar will still think those files are on the C drive. So Sonar might want to load a file called "C:\Cakewalk Content\Samples\foo.wav", but underneath the OS will redirect to the other drive and load the file from there without Sonar even knowing.

Note the problem is not so much VST locations (which you can thankfully specify in C3), but everything else. This include the actual program executables (Dim Pro, etc) as well as the samples. It is mostly the samples that create problems since they take a lot of space, and sometimes we have dedicated fast SSDs just for samples. But C3 doesn't allow us to choose locations for the applications or the samples, so the only options left are to install everything manually, or resort to tactics like using junction points.

EDIT: And to answer your last question... No, you would not need to do anything different in Sonar like directing VST paths to scan on D when you use junction points. They will all think their files are really on C when they aren't, but all will work correctly.
post edited by SilkTone - 2015/03/02 02:06:02
SilkTone
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 16:52:16 (permalink)
mettelus
On my phone here but wanted to make a quick comment to Silk Tone. The advantage of an SSD is fast read times, so programs are best kept on the C drive. Data files are the ones to use a junction on if necessary, specifically video and audio files. Easy way to find the suspect programs that need to be looked at is use windows explorer and search *.* on the C drive for file size = gigantic.

This can be done as/if you see a C drive losing space; but bottom line, I would not recommend blindly junctioning the entire program files folders as it is overkill and bypasses the primary purpose of an SSD (I believe your new comp has an SSD on the C drive).

Yes all good points. However the system I'm getting has a 500GB SSD for the OS, 3TB MD for applications and all their related junk. Once the system is fully set up, I plan to move my old system's 2 x 256 GB SSDs to the new system as well. So the bottom line is there will be many drives, with one being MD and the rest all SSDs.

Alternatively I guess the 500GB C drive should be enough to just let the applications install themselves there, but use junction points to the other SSDs for all the samples. This should give a speed boost when loading applications, so maybe I'll just use the 3TB MD for dumping whatever other stuff I have.

Heh, I have a folder on my current system that has all the data I had on all my previous 5 systems or so. The 3TB drive will easily hold all of my current system's data and those old system data as well. Just shows how drive sizes have grown over time, when your previous system data can easily fit somewhere in a folder in case you want to quickly locate some old project or whatever.
post edited by SilkTone - 2015/03/01 17:07:04
scook
Forum Host
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 16:59:01 (permalink)
jbow

Huh? So before executing this I should go into Sonar and change the destination folder addresses for whatever I want to move from C to D? I'm OK with leaving the .dll and .exe on C but want the bulk, the MIDI files and Audio files (packs etc) to be on my D drive. I have room on the C drive for now but I want to do it right on my new DAW, in the past I have allowed installers to put things everywhere. I have a 500G C drive, and two other 1T drives, one for samples, midi, etc. The other for projects and audio/midi associated with them, if this makes sense. So... I'm perfectly fine with the VST on C, I want the audio or mido on D and well, you get the idea... does this make sense or does it complicate things? Will what you suggested make CCC put everything on the D drive except Sonar or what? I added post 11 to my Notepad document.
Pretend you're talking to a third grader... I'm sorry.

Thanks!

J

Best advice, start small before trying to reorganize the world. Also think about why you are moving stuff. The initial post in this thread was about moving a large directory of content to free up space on the C drive, It is possible to move all kinds of stuff but to what end? I am not a fan of using junctions to achieve some aesthetic outcome.

If you have a particular directory of stuff you want to move, it might be a good idea to practice the concept with it, I can walk you through it if necessary. The process is pretty safe because nothing is being deleted. Generally the worst that can happen is a fat fingered mklink command.
jbow
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 17:11:54 (permalink)
Thanks Scook. I am just in the beginning of setting up a new DAW and want to have it organized instead of having to scan 10 different folders for VSTs. It works, but I could forget or lose something and why not be organized. I assume keeping the C drive lean will make a difference... though IDK. I could, at some point, replace the C with a SSD with a clone of the current 7200 500G drive if I don't put too much stuff on it. I don't know, I just want to be a bit more organized. I assume it can't be a bad thing. Then again, I could just direct CCC to put VSTs on the D drive and manually install third party VSTs on D.
Trying to learn and do things right this time.

J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
scook
Forum Host
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 17:26:08 (permalink)
Using CCC path changes for VSTs is a better idea. That and pay attention when installing third party plug-ins making sure they go where you want them. A little planning and care during installation will avoid the jumble of multiple plug-in paths. I would recommend leaving the VST3 path in the CCC at the default setting.

Once you get everything installed and still want to move some data such as the DimPro multisamples folder or Cakewalk Content, we can go over the details. Some of this is easier to do after install.
post edited by scook - 2015/03/01 17:40:07
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/01 21:08:00 (permalink)
I use junctions when necessary if I want to move large multisample folders or whatever, and they work great. They're not all that obvious in Windows Explorer, though. AFAIK, they're only indicated with the shortcut folder icon, so it's easy to delete files or even the entire folder if you're not thinking and assume they're dupes. I don't know if there's a way to protect against that (would love to know if there is.) You can run the cmd.exe DIR command from the source or whatever they call it directory to see if there's a JUNCTION to a target directory. Windows Explorer still shows n number of files taking up n bytes in the folder. I haven't checked to see how/if the used/free bytes are calculated.

I use Everything.exe (http://www.voidtools.com/) to find duplicate files, and that does show where the physical files are located, so just the target folder.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
...wicked
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/02 01:41:34 (permalink)
Holy crap, this post is blowing my mind. I've used symlinks in various unix hosting situations before but didn't realize we could re-program windows to do the same thing. Hrm...

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/02 06:04:27 (permalink)
I do something similar with some of my samples - I use Superior Drummer 2 in every project, so I actually used a symbolic link (like a junction point) to move those samples back over to my SSD, despite my sample directory being D:\Music samples.

Although it's worth noting that CCC seems to respect the old Cakewalk Content directory established by X3. At least, that worked for me. So, if you have X3, make sure you set that up pointing to the correct place before you upgrade.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
Paul G
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2334
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/02 16:07:14 (permalink)
I was wondering if using Junction Points would affect the various destination folders that are, (can be), set in 'Preferences'?  Some of those items are placed in the 'Cakewalk Content' folder during install.  Many of those I move to other drives.

Thanks.

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Paul Robert Glaser
The Brothers Glaser
SoundClick
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/02 16:13:57 (permalink)
Yes, the actual content of a directory must be moved prior to creating a junction, but this will work on whichever directory level you choose. Everything at the junction level and lower will actually reside in another physical location.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/05 08:55:11 (permalink)
The full path needs to be in the mklink?
ie:
mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments" "V:\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments"
Our lovely model Twiggy will demonstrate:

Do I have this right?

TIA

Tom

post edited by DeeringAmps - 2015/03/05 09:04:43

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/05 09:36:52 (permalink)
I'd like a further clarification on Tom's screenshot. Is that for 32 bit plugs, then? How about for 64 bit stuff?

Thanks. scook has recommended this but I've put it off and succeeded at installing my libraries elsewhere. I would however, like to understand this method and seeing Tom's pic has made it seem more approachable!
Michael
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/05 09:41:29 (permalink)
This is a great thread to bookmark. Very interesting.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/05 09:49:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pentimentosound 2015/03/05 13:50:23
Michael,
Please note the screenshot is from my office rig, its a 32 bit system.
I'm not sure the  "C;\Windows\system32" is supposed to be in there.
That's why I posted the screenshot, and to clarify if the full path needs to be listed.
I'm guessing yes on the full path, but will wait for a response before I actually run the command.
T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
AndyDavis
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/05 10:05:02 (permalink)
If you want a more in depth explanation, you can read here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365006(v=vs.85).aspx

I was a little confused between junctions and symbolic links and found a good write up here:
http://superuser.com/questions/343074/directory-junction-vs-directory-symbolic-link

Having read through them, I plan to use junctions and start small.

Don't ask the question if you cannot live with the answer.
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/05 10:17:52 (permalink)
Very good thread and very timely for me. Just last night, I changed the file path (within CCC) for the Cakewalk Content folder to be on my D: Drive (samples drive as well as where I deignated all my X3 content to be). I only installed a couple of the recent updates, but will do the rest tonight. 

I'm hoping this will be where the CCC is going to default for all future content (loops, samples etc...) or will I need to use junctions (so I'm sure it's done correctly)??  

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: On Install: can you specify directories? 2015/03/05 10:17:57 (permalink)
scook

The process for a new install where "C:\Cakewalk Content" did not exist is
1) create "D:\Cakewalk Content"
Then when installing, the installer will think it is writing to "C:\Cakewalk Content" but the OS actually writes everything to "D:\Cakewalk Content." When SONAR starts up it will use the "C:\Cakewalk Content" default setting but the OS actually reads the data from "D:\Cakewalk Content."

i think the bit I've put in bold is the most important part of using mklink.

It's no good just to copy (or cut) your files across, the path on the C: drive must not exist, so you have to delete it once you've moved your files.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1